Boomer Thinks Zach's Performance in First Preseason Game "Troubling"...

8 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

"Troubling" is basically the most optimistic way it can be described.

Zach had two possessions which resulted in an INT where he stared down his target, a wild overthrow on a routine pass to an open receiver, and a poor decision trying to juke a defender for a few extra yards instead of protecting himself and going out of bounds.

Complete disaster is a fair assessment.

All true. 

I'm just wondering why ZW's play (undisciplined, ineffective) is suddenly such a hot topic here on JN two weeks after the fact. 

I'm far more concerned that ZW's play was 100% like his team's - totally overwhelmed by the start of a football game. Both sides of the ball.

We saw a lot of that before Saleh - he gets here and it's all we've seen since. Whether it's a game or a season itself once it starts the Jets get punched in the nose so hard and so fast that it goes from a competition to defeat an opponent into a quest to find out who we are and what we really have. Once ultimate failure is a foregone conclusion we latch onto meaningless play that resembles improvement or success ... eventually we're numb to loss (aka, accepted failure) and mercifully the off-season arrives, each one more promising than the previous, and the cycle repeats.  

I don't know who needs to read this but Justin Fields sucks and so do the Bears. Big time. Let's revisit that in October.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

It’s the hardest position for the jets to evaluate 

Somehow teams like the Steelers, packers, 49ers, chiefs, patriots keep getting franchise qbs

-Steelers - bring in vets and draft new guys same time.

-Packers drafted a first rounder with a HOF still playing great ball. They’ve done this twice, remember Rodgers sat for years.

-Niners bringing in vets and keep swinging in draft at the same time until they hit (maybe they have, maybe they haven’t)

-Chiefs: swung on Mahomes with Alex Smith  making pro bowls for them

-Pats kept drafting QBs high even with peak Brady, gave Cam Newton a shot as a FA, took a swing on Mac even with Cam as nominal starter.

All the teams you list are taking multiple and varied swings at QB, even in cases when they already have one playing great. None of them seem worried about “preserving the starters’ confidence” by keeping the competition non-threatening. No wonder they hit more often, they’re buying more lotto tickets.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, derp said:

I still maintain he was consensus #2 before it became obvious the Jets were taking Wilson. Around CFP time. And SF is obviously better run but they created a situation where they sat their raw rookie.

I also really think the ability to get cheap yards with legs is helpful for QB’s who want to be competitive early in their career but are dealing with a jump in level. Think we’ll see that with both.

Will be keeping an eye on Anthony Richardson. Gimme the freaks.

@JiFapono

I'm not going to spew my load over his his performance, it's preseason but that said, you could see Fields putting it together and shining on primetime before the season ended last year, so it feels a little more like confirmation, sure but still, its presason.  There were just a lot of haters denying it around here or simply just didnt want it to be true but it was the type of stuff we wanted to see in Zach, not just HEY NO PICKS!, progress! as he puts up 100 yards passing.  

Anywho, Fields is an example of my rant the other day but in his situation, we had way more proof of translation as he embarrassed a "generational talent" in the playoffs for the world to see, in addition to other great performances.  And not to mention the fact he was 1b to that player his whole life until the draft process started.  That was a Watson vs. Bama performance, Mahomes vs. LSU, where you're just like whoa, this dude is another level and he's dicing up would be NFL defenders.  And like those freaks of the past, the tear down happened and somehow some lily white goober started to make a Trubisky like rise because Chris Simms said something.

W/ Richardson, I obviously havent see anywhere near the sample size to have the level of confidence I did in Fields but he's even freakier than Fields.  I'm just bullish on him because I'm close his training team.  He trains here in in Jax with a QB coach that I golf with through other connections and what he's saying about Richardson is crazy exciting.    So if he does put it together, whew, look out!   You can see the strides he's made in a passer, granted, it's a scrimmage but the level of comfort he's displaying as a passer is freaking exciting.  Time will tell. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC, my vote all last offseason was to trade the 2 pick, build up the rest of the team with those premium picks, and and run it back with Darnold for a year. In lieu of that option, the QB I wanted was Fields because he had better tools than Wilson and he had at least seen NFL-caliber defensive line play and had prospered against high-level defensive coaching. I think a lot of the dings Fields received from the draft community was retroactive Dwayne Haskins/Terrelle Pryor/Cordale Jones course correction.

I think the epilepsy diagnosis might have affected some teams too. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You realize much of that is tongue in cheek, right?  

For most here, the likes of late rounders or “camp arms” Brooks Bollinger, Ricky Ray, Erik Ainge, Brett Ratliff, Matt Simms, Mike White and Chris Streveler being “the guy” has been a bit of a running joke.  

If we ever had a QB1 who played like a QB1 this running joke wouldn’t be necessary.  

Hot Dog vendor for QB1!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC, my vote all last offseason was to trade the 2 pick, build up the rest of the team with those premium picks, and and run it back with Darnold for a year. In lieu of that option, the QB I wanted was Fields because he had better tools than Wilson and he had at least seen NFL-caliber defensive line play and had prospered against high-level defensive coaching. I think a lot of the dings Fields received from the draft community was retroactive Dwayne Haskins/Terrelle Pryor/Cordale Jones course correction.

I either wanted Mac or bring in Trubisky/Minshew — or even better do both like PIT has done this year. Running back with Darnold, nah kid.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm not going to spew my load over his his performance, it's preseason but that said, you could see Fields putting it together and shining on primetime before the season ended last year, so it feels a little more like confirmation, sure but still, its presason.  There were just a lot of haters denying it around here or simply just didnt want it to be true but it was the type of stuff we wanted to see in Zach, not just HEY NO PICKS!, progress! as he puts up 100 yards passing.  

Anywho, Fields is an example of my rant the other day but in his situation, we had way more proof of translation as he embarrassed a "generational talent" in the playoffs for the world to see, in addition to other great performances.  And not to mention the fact he was 1b to that player his whole life until the draft process started.  That was a Watson vs. Bama performance, Mahomes vs. LSU, where you're just like whoa, this dude is another level and he's dicing up would be NFL defenders.  And like those freaks of the past, the tear down happened and somehow some lily white goober started to make a Trubisky like rise because Chris Simms said something.

W/ Richardson, I obviously havent see anywhere near the sample size to have the level of confidence I did in Fields but he's ever freakier than Fields.  I'm just bullish on him because I'm close his training team.  He trains here in in Jax with a QB coach that I golf with through other connections and what he's saying about Richardson is crazy exciting.    So if he does put it together, whew, look out!   You can see the strides he's made in a passer, granted, it's a scrimmage but the level of comfort he's displaying as a passer is freaking exciting.  Time will tell. 

AR-15 (awesome nickname, I wish he kept it) has some exciting tools, but if he comes out next year, he's going to need to sit one season at the NFL level. 

7 minutes ago, maury77 said:

AR-15 (awesome nickname, I wish he kept it) has some exciting tools, but if he comes out next year, he's going to need to sit one season at the NFL level. 

I'm great with that, as you recall, @T0mShane and I actually preferred the same approach, trade out, build the team, run it back w/ Darnold but bring in a real vet to truly compete, not just a fake competition.  I only wanted Fields IF, they were taking QB.  That said, under that assumption, my plan for Fields was to sit him last year, so it would be no different for AR if he declares after this season but like Fields, you're talking about a .001% athlete who is ridiculously smart, so it wouldnt be shocking if he made immense progress year over year.

• Upvote 2

On 8/26/2022 at 9:08 PM, JiFapono said:

I'm at the point where I want freaks at the QB position.  I'm over trying to find this polished yet off platform cerebral but improvise blah blah blah bull sh*t, that leads you to believing Chris ******* Simms when he says Wilson looks like Mahomes.  The **** he does,  lol   These pretty boy ******* goof balls Cali/Utah goobers are not going to turn into Tom Brady.  Those dudes suck balls 90% of the time.  Give me the freaks and lets figure it the **** out.  This sh*t has been playing out all across the league and if Lance and Fields hit like I think they will, then I will never ever back down off that take ever again..  Draft the freaks, figure it the **** out.  Richardson is in a different category of freaks.  Zach Wilson was the pretty surprisingly okay dude on my High School Basketball team.

Last years QB draft is in the rear view mirror.  I liked the pick of Zach because of his arm and release.  I thought he might be a Namath/Marino type.  I was also very sold on his work ethic.  Turns out if you can't process at NFL speed work ethic might actually be a negative.  TBD...

Looking at the draft the high ceiling guys were clearly Trevor, Fields and Lance.  Great athlete's with strong bodies and all the tools.  I happened to watch Davis Mills pro day.  He's big, mobile and made all the throws that Wilson did.  Had he stayed in another year he's probably a top 5 to 10 pick.  I would have traded down and tried to get Fields, Lance or Davis later.  Never thought Lance would go at 3.  Fields and Davis would have been great value where they went.  Zach was probably over drafted by a lot.  

I didn't mind the Zach pick because I was sold on it.  I actually thought that Mills had a chance to be as good or better than Zach from watching his workout.  Were going to find out a lot about Lance this year.   He could be another Josh Allen type of freak.  He also might be the downfall of the 49ers GM and possibly HC.  The have a championship caliber team and gave up a ton of draft capital to get him.   

I don't think SF had any interest in giving up all that draft capital to get Zach.  It wouldn't shock me if they used their relationship with Saleh and Lefleur to mislead the Jets into taking him.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mike White threw for 400 yards against the Bengals and 251 yards against the Bills playing that way. The difference was White hit on 67% of those tiny passes and Zach hit on 55% of those wee passes. 

“No one could succeed behind this line with these weaponz.”

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm great with that, as you recall, @T0mShane and I actually preferred the same approach, trade out, build the team, run it back w/ Darnold but bring in a real vet to truly compete, not just a fake competition.  I only wanted Fields IF, they were taking QB.  That said, under that assumption, my plan for Fields was to sit him last year, so it would be no different for AR if he declares after this season but like Fields, you're talking about a .001% athlete who is ridiculously smart, so it wouldnt be shocking if he made immense progress year over year.

We could have traded down and got Fields or Mills.  Both better options than Darnold.  The two for Darnold was great value. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 8/25/2022 at 6:25 PM, GandWFan said:

Why do you respond to  @T0mShane?

He is just going to make sh*t up to push his narrative.  It's all bullsh*t.  He makes SAR1 look like poster of the year.  I'm still not sure they aren't the same person.

Sar 1 Mows his lawn with a BMW.  Tom's smart enough to use a John Deere.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

But realistically, how high would the Jets pick a QB next year? Even if Zach Wilson is mediocre this year, I don't see the Jets spending a 1st on a QB and I don't see AR lasting to the second. 

My preference, even if most of you don't believe me, is for Zach Wilson to have a good year (I just don't expect it). If he doesn't, my second scenario would be Jimmy G for a year with AR sitting behind him and learning. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to square with the fact that Zach has the ADD diagnosis, which you’d think would be equally concerning to teams.

I don't really want to open this bag of worms for the millionth time, but I will never understand how people ignored all the red flags about Wilson coming out as a prospect. 

Zach Wilson and Sam Darnold both owe a lot of the fawning over their draft prospects to Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes, who made the off platform throws so in vogue.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I haven't weighed in on this ZW thread.  Here's my thinking about his performance in that first preseason game.  First, he has read all the negativity about his performances thus far and he's no different than any of us...he's trying too hard to please and turn around this negativity.  That bonehead INT and the play where he got hurt and instead of sliding or running out of bounds he took the ball up field.  In both cases, bad decisions trying to make chicken soup out of chicken sh*t.  There is no doubt the kid has play making abilities...he just needs to make smart decisions and not get caught up in all the media distractions...that's my opinion anyway.  

27 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don't really want to open this bag of worms for the millionth time, but I will never understand how people ignored all the red flags about Wilson coming out as a prospect. 

Zach Wilson and Sam Darnold both owe a lot of the fawning over their draft prospects to Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes, who made the off platform throws so in vogue.  

We’ve gotten so enamored with “ceiling,” and “off-platform,” and “can extend plays” that we forgot to evaluate whether a prospect can perform the routine routinely.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The reason we could was we thought at the time that our GM and new HC were really good and both were all in on Zach.   It was amazingly similiar to when we drafted Sanchez.  

They had plenty of time to look at Sam and either stick with him or move on.  They fell in love with Zach and the media did nothing to sound the alarm. 

• Upvote 1

Got to love the media; the same people crapping all over ZW's bad performance are making excuses for the equally bad (except no injury) performance by Mac Jones - same guy who was overhyped and sent him to the pro-bowl and crowned him King because he celebrated a TD he didn't even make.

I hope ZW gets healthy and becomes a top notch QB (top 15 would be good enough for me). Maybe his bad performance was just a bad start, or maybe it is a sign of things to come. Mostly I hope the jets get through the Giants game healthy - can't wait for real football....

59 minutes ago, maury77 said:

But realistically, how high would the Jets pick a QB next year? Even if Zach Wilson is mediocre this year, I don't see the Jets spending a 1st on a QB and I don't see AR lasting to the second. 

My preference, even if most of you don't believe me, is for Zach Wilson to have a good year (I just don't expect it). If he doesn't, my second scenario would be Jimmy G for a year with AR sitting behind him and learning. 

As I've gone on this rant, I should have prefaced, I'm not ready to give up on Wilson.  While I'm probably the least optimistic I've ever been toward him, I want to see him this year before I start making definitive statements of what he is and could be.  That's what is so challenging about this whole situation, I have no idea who Zach Wilson is, he's literally nothing like the player everyone described the Jets getting via the draft, so it makes this whole situation tricky but I dont think you can accept a mediocre year from Wilson, especially if everything else looks good.  He did nothing as a rookie to give you any indication he will pan out, the Jets need very substantial evidence that he's worth the wait.  Otherwise, I think a mediocre performance 100% puts a QB in the play via the draft and via free agency.  What will be challenging if this very unfortunate situation comes to fruition is, I dont trust JD with the QB position at all after having the options he had in that draft and ultimately seeing Wilson as the best of the group.  It's bonkers to me you could get these guys in front of you and find Wilson to be the one you want, so that's scary despite how much I love everything else he's done here.

So yeah, needless to say, I hope and pray we were dead wrong on Wilson because if not, I really have no clue what they do but it wouldnt bother me to draft and sign a QB to push him out or up.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Got to love the media; the same people crapping all over ZW's bad performance are making excuses for the equally bad (except no injury) performance by Mac Jones - same guy who was overhyped and sent him to the pro-bowl and crowned him King because he celebrated a TD he didn't even make.

I hope ZW gets healthy and becomes a top notch QB (top 15 would be good enough for me). Maybe his bad performance was just a bad start, or maybe it is a sign of things to come. Mostly I hope the jets get through the Giants game healthy - can't wait for real football....

The difference is that Mac has a year of mostly-positive NFL tape behind him, making a bad preseason game an outlier. For BYU, many see it as a continuation of same old, same old.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zach Wilson was a # 2 overall pick and this is supposed to be a pro coaching staff.  If the play of the QB3 is to blame for the QB1’s poor performance, then there are much bigger problems afoot.  

What’s next:  Chris Streveler’s comeback win in preseason is gonna derail the precious golden boy’s 2nd season too? 

the problem was after the Bengal game everyone wanted the short passing game which is not who Zach is. the Bengals were not prepared for that. then against Buffalo all we heard was that there defense is so good thats why White failed. 

see the problem with "hero ball Zach" was he was a little inaccurate and bounced screen passes. but at least he threw mid to deep passes. after White he was too careful and only threw short passes. 

you remember last year when everyone wanted Zach to throw short passes all game and watch them get the YACs. but you cant win by just doing that. but that is exactly what White did against the Bengals. but they were unprepared. now that teams know what he is about he sucks.

last week White went 12-17 for 90 yds and a 5.3 avg. Streveler 8-11 119 yds 10.8 yds.  thats a big difference. 

out of those 12 completions 6 went for 5 or less yds, 5 went for under 10 and the only one over 10 yds went to Mims for 27.

Streveler had 8 completions. only one went for under 5 yds, 3 under 10, 3 between 10-20 and one each over 20 and 30 yds. 

the White way sucks. hopefully they stopped trying to force him to be like Mike

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

the problem was after the Bengal game everyone wanted the short passing game which is not who Zach is. the Bengals were not prepared for that. then against Buffalo all we heard was that there defense is so good thats why White failed. 

see the problem with "hero ball Zach" was he was a little inaccurate and bounced screen passes. but at least he threw mid to deep passes. after White he was too careful and only threw short passes. 

you remember last year when everyone wanted Zach to throw short passes all game and watch them get the YACs. but you cant win by just doing that. but that is exactly what White did against the Bengals. but they were unprepared. now that teams know what he is about he sucks.

last week White went 12-17 for 90 yds and a 5.3 avg. Streveler 8-11 119 yds 10.8 yds.  thats a big difference. 

out of those 12 completions 6 went for 5 or less yds, 5 went for under 10 and the only one over 10 yds went to Mims for 27.

Streveler had 8 completions. only one went for under 5 yds, 3 under 10, 3 between 10-20 and one each over 20 and 30 yds. 

To be fair he failed at being himself before he failed at being Mike White.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, jgb said:

The difference is that Mac has a year of mostly-positive NFL tape behind him, making a bad preseason game an outlier. For Zach, many see it as a continuation of same old, same old.

That is the rub; that is what the media says - I watched pretty much every Pats game last year. He was terrible. He played in a great system with a great OL and the Patriots won without him (and in a few game despite him); He has 1 or 2 reasonable quarters - that is about it.

Had Mac Jones started for the Jets, he would have been terrible and may not even survived the season. IMO Zack, had better games. Mac Jones may have a higher floor than ZW, but that is it. The media just falls all over BB. Every bad draft pick is first hyped with a 'we don't understand the pick, but bill is a genius', they are forgiven, and he is given the benefit of an OL that holds and is never flagged.

The problem with top first round draft picks, especially QBs, is that they go to really bad teams. It is difficult to know how good they can be or to settle in as they are surrounded with bad teams. Mac Jones strolled into a set offense where everyone knew their roles on a team good enough to win with a QB that was way past him prime. Let's see how he plays this year especially now that other teams know how to beat him - stack the box and make him win the game on his arm.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Mac Jones won his job in camp last year and had a terrific rookie year.   That doesn't mean he's on a trajectory to be great.  If the tape exposses him it exposses him.  Unlike Zach, Mac Jones actually performed well in real games last year.   Zach sucked last year.  There's a reason for the scrutiny with Zach.  If Mac sucks during the regular season he's going to get crapped on by the media and the NE fan base.  

If Zach was as good as Mac Jones last year nobody cares that he sucked in a pre-season game before he got hurt.  That goes with the territory.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

That is the rub; that is what the media says - I watched pretty much every Pats game last year. He was terrible. He played in a great system with a great OL and the Patriots won without him (and in a few game despite him); He has 1 or 2 reasonable quarters - that is about it.

Had Mac Jones started for the Jets, he would have been terrible and may not even survived the season. IMO Zack, had better games. Mac Jones may have a higher floor than ZW, but that is it. The media just falls all over BB. Every bad draft pick is first hyped with a 'we don't understand the pick, but bill is a genius', they are forgiven, and he is given the benefit of an OL that holds and is never flagged.

The problem with top first round draft picks, especially QBs, is that they go to really bad teams. It is difficult to know how good they can be or to settle in as they are surrounded with bad teams. Mac Jones strolled into a set offense where everyone knew their roles on a team good enough to win with a QB that was way past him prime. Let's see how he plays this year especially now that other teams know how to beat him - stack the box and make him win the game on his arm.

I appreciate your perspective and that you shared it, we just have a totally different philosophy when it comes to QBs. I happen to think Mac will continue to get better. Hope the same for BYU (obviously), but if professional NFL evaluators get it right maybe 1/3 of the time with first round draft picks, why live or die based on these gentlemens’ evaluation of a player’s “floor” or “ceiling?”

I get that our guy can launch the ball in ways Mac can only dream of, but honestly, I don’t care once they suit up and we have actual NFL performance data. Let’s hope our dude can make a huge leap and prove the doubters wrong. I would love to do the Game of Thrones “shame” walk through JN if it means we (finally) have a FQB.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

Meh, the drive he was injured on vs. the Colts, he was pushing the ball down field.  3 15+ yard completions.  The sample size is very small, so it's hard to say definitively what he can or cant do even if I ultimately agree with your position he's just not very good.

The other challenging aspect of this post is Zach Wilson was wayyyy worse at being what he supposedly good at prior to the injury, which again, begs the bigger issues, we actually dont know what Zach does well.  Right now, if we're being honest, it's nothing.  lol  Which is why that injury sucked so F'ing bad, he needed this time more than anyone. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

Nonsense.   Mac was solid last year.  He had a 67.6 completion percentage 22 TD's, 13 INT's and a QBR of 92.5.  He had a very respectable 3800 yards roughly 220 plus per game.  He wasn't asked to do to much but he was excellent in terms of delivering what was required.  That doesn't suck for a rookie.  That's good QB play.  Now if he can't build on it and deliver more with more on his shoulders he will be rightfully expossed.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I haven't weighed in on this ZW thread.  Here's my thinking about his performance in that first preseason game.  First, he has read all the negativity about his performances thus far and he's no different than any of us...he's trying too hard to please and turn around this negativity.  That bonehead INT and the play where he got hurt and instead of sliding or running out of bounds he took the ball up field.  In both cases, bad decisions trying to make chicken soup out of chicken sh*t.  There is no doubt the kid has play making abilities...he just needs to make smart decisions and not get caught up in all the media distractions...that's my opinion anyway.  

Mostly agree it's a good take.  The problem is if he can't process at NFL speed it's not about smart or not smart.   Some people can keep their cool under pressure and make good decisions very quickly.  Some people who have very good judgement when forced to make a decision under pressure quickly panic.  

• Upvote 2