Boomer Thinks Zach's Performance in First Preseason Game "Troubling"...

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

Let this sink in

the main thing that kept people from talking about his terrible performance in the game was his decision to cut towards trouble and away from safety in a preseason game, resulting in a knee procedure and 3-4 weeks of missed practice.  Without getting hit. 

Ok.  Then what? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Jets should trade for jimmy g. I’ve never been on the zach Wilson band wagon. The team Douglas has built is pretty good/ has potential. With Jimmy g we could be contending the playoffs. With Wilson we are a 5 win team. Imo atleast 

We don't even know if the team is good. There is alot of young talent for sure doesn't mean it turns into anything.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Jets should trade for jimmy g. I’ve never been on the zach Wilson band wagon. The team Douglas has built is pretty good/ has potential. With Jimmy g we could be contending the playoffs. With Wilson we are a 5 win team. Imo atleast 

lol, whut?  

Dude, there's absolutely no evidence to support that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I want to respond to this on the merits but I can’t get over you worming your way into the Wilson family inner circle. I’ve never been more impressed by anyone, ever. Amazing. ?

@Mogglez avatar on Instagram. Just have to fish with the right bait.

image.png.4bfd957b0bcd31f7c9edfbb6967aa0c8.png

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Why trade for Jimmy G and pay that salary when you can get Minshew for a 5th and pay him still on his 6th round rookie deal?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I also disagree that the Jets CS will decide to sink or swim with Wilson.  I agree with you in that fact that such thinking follows convention, but there are other factors.  If Wilson does not perform, and I think this likely, considering the Jets offense now has what looks to be a decent roster, I believe JD and Saleh will want to show that their new stable has good horses.  They'll want to show the fans and their boss that they are on the way up as an organization.  They won't want to keep losing game after game due to a college QB that keeps flushing money down the toilet with bad play.  They will go with Flacco and win to show progress. That's how I see it happening. 

100% agree.

im afraid if we win 4 games and Zach is bad then we are going to start over with a new GM and HC. they have to show something especially now that JDs 1st draft is looking even worst now that Becton might be done as a Jet and Mims looks like hes gone. 

like you said we need to see how good our horses are, or if we have to find someone new to pick them

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the one that will break Jets fans. The Bears legitimately suck and the general consensus is that Fields is set up to fail. If he looks halfway decent and Zach Wilson struggles? It’s pitchforks all the way up the GSP, baby

I still maintain he was consensus #2 before it became obvious the Jets were taking Wilson. Around CFP time. And SF is obviously better run but they created a situation where they sat their raw rookie.

I also really think the ability to get cheap yards with legs is helpful for QB’s who want to be competitive early in their career but are dealing with a jump in level. Think we’ll see that with both.

Will be keeping an eye on Anthony Richardson. Gimme the freaks.

@JiFapono

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

If we went the veteran QB route, he would by my target 

knows the system 

tons of big game experience 

Thank you for responding and giving your reasoning.

But now you're on the naughty list because you didn't immediately and vociferously shout down any mild musing about other QB options.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Thank you for responding and giving your reasoning.

But now you're on the naughty list because you didn't immediately and vociferously shout down any mild musing about other QB options.

I’ve been thinking about the Jimmy G contingency plan for awhile. 

He’s one of the most underrated players in the league, IMO. He’s my plan if Wilson doesn’t work out. I would also draft another QB. 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’ve been thinking about the Jimmy G contingency plan for awhile. 

He’s one of the most underrated players in the league, IMO. He’s my plan if Wilson doesn’t work out. I would also draft another QB. 

Yeah, I've been calling for Jets to abandon the all eggs in one basket, sequential draft a QB/don't bring in competition/wait 3 years for him to fail/reset/try again model since the end of Darnold's first year.

Why not try... both drafting a QB and bringing in a legitimate vet QB?

Fair warning: If anyone says competition will harm a rookie QB's confidence, I am going to go kick a puppy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah, I've been calling for Jets to abandon the all eggs in one basket, sequential draft a QB/don't bring in competition/wait 3 years for him to fail/reset/try again model since the end of Darnold's first year.

Why not try... both drafting a QB and bringing in a legitimate vet QB?

Fair warning: If anyone says competition will harm a rookie QB's confidence, I am going to go kick a puppy.

No. This is the Jets. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

No. This is the Jets. 

If Einstein were alive today, his famous insanity quote would read something like:

The definition of insanity is that the Jets keep repeating the same mistakes and their fans keep thinking it will work.

• Haha 3

"Troubling" is basically the most optimistic way it can be described.

Zach had two possessions which resulted in an INT where he stared down his target, a wild overthrow on a routine pass to an open receiver, and a poor decision trying to juke a defender for a few extra yards instead of protecting himself and going out of bounds.

Complete disaster is a fair assessment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is the one that will break Jets fans. The Bears legitimately suck and the general consensus is that Fields is set up to fail. If he looks halfway decent and Zach Wilson struggles? It’s pitchforks all the way up the GSP, baby

Oh, this one broke me over a year ago. I watched the Chicago game tonight. Again, its preseason and Fields could stink to high heavens when the games count. That being said, he looked excellent tonight. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

i still blame your boy White for Zachs play. after the Bengal game everybody wanted Zach to be like White. and i believed they force him to be like that and look for every short pass before you look long. that pass Fields made in the video is something Zach can and did do before White. but after White Zach would have thrown it to the RB at the LOS and took the short gain on 1st down. hopefully watching Flacco for a few weeks will remind Zach that he can throw it 30 yds downfield.

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Do we not remember Green Bay last year?

7A967C68-9BD5-46E3-8852-5EDD48935955.thumb.jpeg.100b892f16d5f85e09a128da26cf3bfb.jpeg

Fields is gonna be just fine, IMO, but as I’ve said all along, pre-season is meaningless.  Unless you’re Hackenberg levels of bad, no one knows anything about anyone until the bullets really start flying.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 hours ago, jgb said:

JIF is just pointing out two big misses of your approach.

QB is the hardest position to evaluate in sport because it’s 90%+ mental.

Even the best miss.

It’s the hardest position for the jets to evaluate 

Somehow teams like the Steelers, packers, 49ers, chiefs, patriots keep getting franchise qbs

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

On 8/25/2022 at 4:42 PM, SoFlaJets said:

I would just like to ask those who think that Zach Wilson is going to be great: What have you seen that makes you have all this blind faith in Wilson's ability to be an even good quarterback never mind great or a star? What am I missing? I think I've seen one decent quarter of good football from him so far.

Chris Simms said so.  Literally that’s the entire argument at this point

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Lol.   You guys are funny.  People on here started wanting to go all Mike White on the 4th string QB but it’s just insane to believe in QB1 ???

You realize much of that is tongue in cheek, right?  

For most here, the likes of late rounders or “camp arms” Brooks Bollinger, Ricky Ray, Erik Ainge, Brett Ratliff, Matt Simms, Mike White and Chris Streveler being “the guy” has been a bit of a running joke.  

If we ever had a QB1 who played like a QB1 this running joke wouldn’t be necessary.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, doitny said:

i still blame your boy White for Zachs play. after the Bengal game everybody wanted Zach to be like White. and i believed they force him to be like that and look for every short pass before you look long. that pass Fields made in the video is something Zach can and did do before White. but after White Zach would have thrown it to the RB at the LOS and took the short gain on 1st down. hopefully watching Flacco for a few weeks will remind Zach that he can throw it 30 yds downfield.

Zach Wilson was a # 2 overall pick and this is supposed to be a pro coaching staff.  If the play of the QB3 is to blame for the QB1’s poor performance, then there are much bigger problems afoot.  

What’s next:  Chris Streveler’s comeback win in preseason is gonna derail the precious golden boy’s 2nd season too? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

7A967C68-9BD5-46E3-8852-5EDD48935955.thumb.jpeg.100b892f16d5f85e09a128da26cf3bfb.jpeg

Fields is gonna be just fine, IMO, but as I’ve said all along, pre-season is meaningless.  Unless you’re Hackenberg levels of bad, no one knows anything about anyone until the bullets really start flying.  

I wanted Fields over Wilson. Indeed I had Wilson 4 on my board but those were 4 very very good QBs

Lance, Lawrence, Fields and then Wilson but I think Wilson can be a star too.

IMO Folks just have to give the guy at least two years before we start hanging him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

20 pass attempts in preseason for an inexperienced rookie starter whom was awarded QB1 status was criminal and stupid. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, doitny said:

Mike White threw for 400 yards against the Bengals and 251 yards against the Bills playing that way. The difference was White hit on 67% of those tiny passes and Zach hit on 55% of those wee passes. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, derp said:

I still maintain he was consensus #2 before it became obvious the Jets were taking Wilson. Around CFP time. And SF is obviously better run but they created a situation where they sat their raw rookie.

I also really think the ability to get cheap yards with legs is helpful for QB’s who want to be competitive early in their career but are dealing with a jump in level. Think we’ll see that with both.

Will be keeping an eye on Anthony Richardson. Gimme the freaks.

@JiFapono

IIRC, my vote all last offseason was to trade the 2 pick, build up the rest of the team with those premium picks, and and run it back with Darnold for a year. In lieu of that option, the QB I wanted was Fields because he had better tools than Wilson and he had at least seen NFL-caliber defensive line play and had prospered against high-level defensive coaching. I think a lot of the dings Fields received from the draft community was retroactive Dwayne Haskins/Terrelle Pryor/Cordale Jones course correction.

• Upvote 3