Boomer Thinks Zach's Performance in First Preseason Game "Troubling"...

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Anthony Richardson is 6'4 240 w/ 10% body fat, runs a 4.4, can throw the ball 75 yards on a rope, he cleans 325, squats 500 and plays Football in the SEC.

It is some George Orwellian level revisionism to hold our guy out as some unbelievable prospect. He was a late riser who the pundits got behind because it was no secret the Jets were going to draft him. The draft gurus are trying to predict picks, not winners, and as such are a trailing, rather than leading, indicator.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Anthony Richardson is 6'4 240 w/ 10% body fat, runs a 4.4, can throw the ball 75 yards on a rope, he cleans 325, squats 500 and plays Football in the SEC.

And he is incredibly raw with a whopping 10 games under his belt.

I’m not jumping on that hype train yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

It is some George Orwellian level revisionism to hold our guy out as some unbelievable prospect. He was a late riser who the pundits got behind because it was no secret the Jets were going to draft him. The draft gurus are trying to predict picks, not winners, and as such are a trailing, rather than leading, indicator.

Sounds like Jamarcus Russell.?

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

Who, Zach Wilson?  ;-) 

I'm not asking you to jump on the hype train, I'm pointing out the ludicrous idea that Richardson and Wilson are even near similar prospects.  We are talking a .001% type athlete vs. noodle knee goof ball.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

It is some George Orwellian level revisionism to hold our guy out as some unbelievable prospect. He was a late riser who the pundits got behind because it was no secret the Jets were going to draft him. The draft gurus are trying to predict picks, not winners and as such are a trailing, rather than leading, indicator.

Ironic that you are calling this revisionist history when a ten second Google search could tell you everything that you just said was wrong.  Wilson was climbing up boards well before it became the worst kept secret in football that we were drafting him.  He was QB2 on a number of places by midway through the 2020 season. 

i fundamentally disagree with him. the interception was a quick timing throw, exactly the kind of throw you'd miss in the preseason....Davis went a yard deeper then what Wilson anticipated and sat down in the zone. The injury/run....the issue wasnt going down it was going out of bounds....i get it...but its not like he ran to contact either like Jimmy G. Boomer is off here, and as an ex player should know better.

Agreed. The kid is just trying to make a play. I want my QB to be like that. Winners always want the ball in their hands

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Who, Zach Wilson?  ;-) 

I'm not asking you to jump on the hype train, I'm pointing out the ludicrous idea that Richardson and Wilson are even near similar prospects.  We are talking a .001% type athlete vs. noodle knee goof ball.

Yes, like Zach Wilson.  No one is reading what I’ve repeated 3 times already:  there are two blue chip prospects that are considered very clean, and a bunch of guys who are high-ceiling/low floor, came out of nowhere, and are projected high because of physical traits.  Wilson isn’t a direct comparison, he’s just an example because that was the gist of his profile too.

Furthermore, I want my QB to be a QB, not a freak athlete so, judging by your post above, we’re not gonna agree here in what we want.  Richardson needs a hefty amount of refinement in his passing game.  Yeah it’s tantalizing that he can take a RPO 75 yards to the house in a flash.  None of that is going to matter if he doesn’t improve as a passer.  His biggest issue is the fact that he’ll drill a pass in with almost zero touch at times, causing the ball to sail, something Wilson has done at times and people here kill him for it.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Best UF QB prospect since Danny Wuerffel.

I honestly don’t see it at all with Richardson.

However, because I just said that, he’s probably going to be the second coming of Cam Newton and average Newton’s MVP season for the Dolphins every single year he’s on the field while the Jets try to acquire Carson Wentz next season.

While it’s super-fun to imagine a world where Zach Wilson is so horrifically bad that he has to be replaced before next season, there’s no chance these Jets are going to throw in with another rookie because both Saleh and Douglas will be on a blazing hot seat. 2023 would either be Flacco or Garoppolo.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

While it’s super-fun to imagine a world where Zach Wilson is so horrifically bad that he has to be replaced before next season, there’s no chance these Jets are going to throw in with another rookie because both Saleh and Douglas will be on a blazing hot seat. 2023 would either be Flacco or Garoppolo.

4F1CAD96-94BA-450C-B00F-E5C3A9414241.thumb.jpeg.baebfe589617f33bf855f8b71cf6ec32.jpeg

Just now, Mogglez said:

I honestly don’t see it at all with Richardson.

However, because I just said that, he’s probably going to be the second coming of Cam Newton and average Newton’s MVP season for the Dolphins every single year he’s on the field while the Jets try to acquire Carson Wentz next season.

I don’t watch UF football because I don’t support the classroom-to-prison pipeline, but I haven’t read encouraging things about their next QB-to-TE conversion project. We could probably just trade for Feleipe Franks if we wanted.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So was/is Trey Lance, but I have a feeling he's about to have an impressive season and make this franchise have some serious buyer's remorse on Wilson nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm at the point where I want freaks at the QB position.  I'm over trying to find this polished yet off platform cerebral but improvise blah blah blah bull sh*t, that leads you to believing Chris ******* Simms when he says Wilson looks like Mahomes.  The **** he does,  lol   These pretty boy ******* goof balls Cali/Utah goobers are not going to turn into Tom Brady.  Those dudes suck balls 90% of the time.  Give me the freaks and lets figure it the **** out.  This sh*t has been playing out all across the league and if Lance and Fields hit like I think they will, then I will never ever back down off that take ever again..  Draft the freaks, figure it the **** out.  Richardson is in a different category of freaks.  Zach Wilson was the pretty surprisingly okay dude on my High School Basketball team.

At this point, I’m 100% on board with drafting the bearded lady. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So is Trey Lance, but I have a feeling he's about to have an impressive season nonetheless.

We’ll see.  I was a big Trey fan, but it’s become really hard to ignore the noise coming out of SF.  I honestly think he may have needed another year to bake.

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Furthermore, I want my QB to be a QB, not a freak athlete so, judging by your post above, we’re not gonna agree here in what we want. 

Why can't a freak athlete BECOME a QB?  At least the freak athleticism part is measurable.  The ability to process the game at NFL speeds simply isn't. 

I don't see the issue with taking a QB based on his superior athletic gifts (who also happens to be a decent/good QB prospect in his own right) and trying to get him to be a QB as well.  Because scouting for quick processors is so damn difficult.

Cam Newton won an MVP and led a bad franchise to a SB, and some of these kids coming out promise to be even better. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We’ll see.  I was a big Trey fan, but it’s hard to ignore the noise coming out of SF.  I honestly think he may needed another year to bake.

I've read some of the same preparing for my Superflex fantasy draft, but I always pause to remember that the 49ers are loaded with weapons, have the best LT paired with a solid RT, and one of the top three offensive minds at head coach.

Whatever happens, Kyle Shanahan incorporating a read-option into his system is one of the best narratives going into the season. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why can't a freak athlete BECOME a QB?  At least the freak athleticism part is measurable.  The ability to process the game at NFL speeds simply isn't. 

I don't see the issue with taking a QB based on his superior athletic gifts (who also happens to be a decent/good QB prospect in his own right) and trying to get him to be a QB as well.  Because scouting for quick processors is so damn difficult.

Cam Newton won an MVP and led a bad franchise to a SB, and some of these kids coming out promise to be even better. 

Believe me, I’m not saying that they can’t.  That said, put Richardson’s tape side by side with Young or Stroud and it isn’t even close right now.  My whole point has been that this class isn’t one that has 5 ”sure-fire” 1st round prospects like one user here was proclaiming.  It has 2 really good ones, and a large number of “traits” guys.

It should also be noted Cam Newton was a 6-6 250 pound freak and not even he could absorb the brunt of the hits he took in the NFL.  His absolute peak was incredible in both how impressive it was and how short it was, due to injuries.  He was also a far better passer than any of these other guys when he left college, which makes me incredibly leery that others can fare any better.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd probably settle for any of these, if they became available via trade or free agency:

dccgvojszpt06iwtmgv7

maxresdefault.jpg

y2wmde4s0fgnudjvl4m9

FN1pvxRVgAInj3n.jpg

I could live with Winston but, my goodness, I’ll be taking a September to December long PTO vacation to Aruba if we roll with any of those other three, lmao.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Lmao, I was originally going to post Kirk but, IIRC, his contract extension made him, virtually, un-tradeable.

Not until 2024 anyways.  He has a no-trade clause for 2023.  Doubt he'd have much interest in coming here even if Minnesota tried to move him next season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

I could live with Winston but, my goodness, I’ll be taking a September to December long PTO vacation to Aruba if we roll with any of those other three, lmao.

To be sure I'd at least want to draft a QB in the 2-4 rd range to go along with any of those vets.  It wouldn't just be ride or die with Gardner Minshew or Teddy Bridgewater.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I've read some of the same preparing for my Superflex fantasy draft, but I always pause to remember that the 49ers are loaded with weapons, have the best LT paired with a solid RT, and one of the top three offensive minds at head coach.

Whatever happens, Kyle Shanahan incorporating a read-option into his system is one of the best narratives going into the season. 

I have no doubt that Shanny will get the most out of the kid.  My question is what does that “most” look like.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not until 2024 anyways.  He has a no-trade clause for 2023.  Doubt he'd have much interest in coming here even if Minnesota tried to move him next season.

C. Play the corpse of Zach Wilson until Arch Manning comes out, then sell the franchise to Peyton so Archie Sr. doesn’t cockblock us from picking him. 

• Haha 3