Edit: Jets Sign Punter Ty Long to Practice Squad

C Mart

This guy is worse than Mann. UGH. The Bengals have a kid from Ohio State on their practice squad who can boom the ball. Hello?

Dont forget Steady Eddie loving Carolina. Greg The Schmeg, not a good choice.

The Human Statue staring again.

Just horrible decision making.

Pathetic.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, #90 said:

This guy is worse than Mann. UGH. The Bengals have a kid from Ohio State on their practice squad who can boom the ball. Hello?

Pathetic.

If you sign a guy off another team's practice squad you have to put him on your 53 man roster. So you'd have to cut Mann outright (or someone else and carry two punters).

I'm guessing they're hoping to motivate and retain, rather than get rid of, Mann with this move.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

We should sign him, but why is he still available? When I meant push, I meant light a fire, but hey bring back Morehead (or whatever his name was). While we are at it, is our kicker (not last one but before that who also out punted Mann) still available? let's sign him too.

We can't. The Chiefs just signed him. 

10 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Or, he brought in a punter by design to motivate and put Mann on notice because they still value and believe in his potential?

Thank you Captain Obvious. My mom, who doesn't watch football figured that one out too. The message would have been better if he didn't bring in a WORSE punter to "motivate" Mann.

Nevermind that, did anybody expect Ray Guy to be available after week 1 of the season?

Not a SINGLE person thought that there would be the greatest punter ever waiting to be signed after week 1.  The issue is that Mann was the punter at all. This guy has been mediocre at best, and no attempt was ever made to upgrade his position. The ONE and ONLY reason why he is on the roster is that he was drafted in the sixth round of that draft that won't be mentioned.

I know critical thinking is not a Jets fan strong point, but a little common sense should apply every once and a while.

I couldn't agree more. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

If you sign a guy off another team's practice squad you have to put him on your 53 man roster. So you'd have to cut Mann outright (or someone else and carry two punters).

I'm guessing they're hoping to motivate and retain, rather than get rid of, Mann with this move.

Do it... Mann is terrible.

I LOVE the move.  Totally fits one of our previous team mantras ‘Play like a Jet’.

How about this new mantra, ‘Don’t Play Like a Jet’.

To apply;

1. Punters need to punt 45 yards farther than an average 50 year old fan 

2. Field goal kickers need to kick straight within a tolerance band of 9 feet 3 inches to the left and 9 feet 3 inches to the right

3. Quarterbacks need to move laterally at an urgent pace when 220 to 350 pound angry men are running at them with bad intentions.  They also need to accurately throw a 5 yard out and look off receivers to ‘fool’ opponents

4. Offensive Lineman should be able to NOT get pushed back 7 yards into the pocket or fall for the old fake left move right pass rush

5. WRs, RBs, TEs need to catch and NOT fumble.  I see signs of confusion where they might have been taught to NOT catch and to fumble (extra points for fumbles that kill drives and prevent comebacks)

6. Defense needs to tackle and be within 2 yards of every zone completion.  ‘It’s ok to sack the QB’ should be taught with vigor starting in Jets preschool 

7. Coaching staff, before hiring, has to have shown proven ability to creativity out game plan opposing coaches 

8. Do not apply if you have the last names:  Sanchez, Criswell, Davis, Mann, Ficken, Darnold, Joyner, Shepherd, Rankins

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I have no idea if Ty Long is any better than Mann, but I love the fact that they’re putting him on notice.

Edit

I just did a little research on the new guy… he sucks. WTF are we even doing here?

I hate to keep posting this gif, but it's the only real answer to your question.  As it will be used many times this season, maybe Max can add it to our emoji choices?

mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Where was the joke?

The constant complaining about everything done by this franchise and the call for an entire new staff every time we lose.  Not that you do that personally, but the board does tend to get littered with this stuff every time we lose (which we have done a lot in the last decade). 

That, and Ty Long was the best available still on the market.  UNLESS you want to:

a) Try and get 40 year old Dustin Colquitt to come out of retirement or

b) Sign Matt Araiza.  The punting God IS available, but there is some definite public relations quagmires to navigate there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Are there really no punters on the planet better ? Seems like it should not be that hard to find a serviceable guy.

Michael Palardy / Brett Kern / Jordan Berry / Seth Vernon / Daniel Whelan / Cameron Dicker / Tommy Heatherly / Nolan Coonan to name a few who are still available.

Dustin Colquitt is out there, but he has retired.  And as I mentioned about The Punter God is available, but is QUITE the PR nightmare currently. 

• Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, #90 said:

Pathetic.

I don't believe it's as easy or clear-cut as all that.  

If you sign another team's PS player, I believe you are required to put them on your 53 man roster and I believe (not sure on this part) that their salary becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season.

In addition, I believe teams can protect four (I believe it's four) players on their PS, and other teams cannot sign those protected players.

Ultimately, I do not expect that JD would commit to the "ball booming" guy who couldn't make the Bengals team to this degree.

Nor would we fans be happy if he did, and the "ball booming guy", who I believe is poop at directional kicking, comes in and was incapable of improving over Mann, but now we're stuck with him.  Folks would be just as mad as now.

28 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The constant complaining about everything done by this franchise and the call for an entire new staff every time we lose.  Not that you do that personally, but the board does tend to get littered with this stuff every time we lose (which we have done a lot in the last decade). 

That, and Ty Long was the best available still on the market.  UNLESS you want to:

a) Try and get 40 year old Dustin Colquitt to come out of retirement or

b) Sign Matt Araiza.  The punting God IS available, but there is some definite public relations quagmires to navigate there.

This franchise has repeatedly made the wrong decisions, so we are well within our right to constantly complain. Waiting until week 1 to address the punting issue is a bigger issue than choosing the least worst on the scrap heap. Thomas Morestead is still available, and I doubt that he forgot how to punt less than a year from when he punted well for us. 

Securing a middle of the pack kicker and punter is probably the least daunting task as a GM. I'm not sure why some teams like the Patriots always seem to have top of the heap kickers and punters while other teams like the Jets are fielding practice squad quality guys. 

When this team starts winning games and gives us less to constantly complain about, people will complain less.

40 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

When this team starts winning games and gives us less to constantly complain about, people will complain less.

Forgive my negativity, but I will believe that when I see it.

To be fair about all this.  There is a VERY interesting question about Braden Mann.  We absolutely needed a punter, and this kid was KILLING it in college.  I have NO issue with using a pick on a punter.  But here is what doesn't make any sense.  He's a punter.  Not a CB, RB, QB, WR, etc.  I can understand why some guys don't make the jump from great college player to Pro.  But Mann is a punter.  How much different is the college punting requirements compared to the NFL?  How does a guy get unanimous all-pro honors, win the Ray Guy Award, and break NCAA records in punting, then come to the NFL and continually be below average?  Don't get it.

Maybe the knee injury has affected him mentally as well.  Again.  Just don't get it.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Forgive my negativity, but I will believe that when I see it.

To be fair about all this.  There is a VERY interesting question about Braden Mann.  We absolutely needed a punter, and this kid was KILLING it in college.  I have NO issue with using a pick on a punter.  But here is what doesn't make any sense.  He's a punter.  Not a CB, RB, QB, WR, etc.  I can understand why some guys don't make the jump from great college player to Pro.  But Mann is a punter.  How much different is the college punting requirements compared to the NFL?  How does a guy get unanimous all-pro honors, win the Ray Guy Award, and break NCAA records in punting, then come to the NFL and continually be below average?  Don't get it.

Maybe the knee injury has affected him mentally as well.  Again.  Just don't get it.

He wasn't lighting it up before the injury either. As far as why a top college punter fails in the NFL is concerned, some guys are not cut out for the big time pressure of being an NFL player. You would think that punting would translate the easiest from college to the NFL, so we agree there. 

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He wasn't lighting it up before the injury either. As far as why a top college punter fails in the NFL is concerned, some guys are not cut out for the big time pressure of being an NFL player. You would think that punting would translate the easiest from college to the NFL, so we agree there. 

That's what I mean.  He was 'average' his first year, which was still better than what we were getting.  But he has regressed, and punting, you would think, would be easier to transition from College to NFL.  Of course, their is a LOT of mental pressure on punters and kickers, and the pressure does magnify more at the pro level than the college level.  

Who knows.  But believe it or not, Long was THE BEST option sitting out there, short of trading with someone.  I don't think anyone can get Dustin Colquitt without a LOT of zeroes on a check, and you can't touch the Punter God....no pun intended.