Ulbrich Starting to Figure Things Out?

19 minutes ago, PorP said:

We're talking 2 different things.  You don't change your game plan cause you're up or down 1 score.  As it applies to this topic you change to pass heavy cause you're fighting a multi score deficit which opens up the pass rush on the other side. 

You would still rush the passer more than if you were playing from behind. When the other team is ahead by one score or more, they can run at will, but when you are ahead, even by a small amount, it opens up the D to taking more risk at getting to the QB. It's  jist a game flow thing

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Ulbrich is still the weak link. Let's see how good he looks when the opposing QB isn't,  Trubisky,  Pickett, or Thomson.  

The D held up well against Lamar also. He should get credit for that. It’s not easy to contain Lamar.

Still agree that he has the most to prove though. The communication issues were a red flag.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rex was a veteran in this league when he got to the Jets.  This fanbase is so impatient it is insane.  Rex wasnt Rex in his 2nd year.

Ulbrich has all the tolls to be a great one.  Patience jet fans!

So what you're saing is that you expect Ulbrich to be great, but he's not there yet?

THAT is a much more reasonable statement. I hope you are correct.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The D held up well against Lamar also. He should get credit for that. It’s not easy to contain Lamar.

Still agree that he has the most to prove though. The communication issues were a red flag.

For whatever reason, the game plan was to have Lamar pass the ball. He wasn't  looking to run. I have no idea why they did that because our LB are not that good outside of Alexander but it appeared  that he was trying to stay in the pocket.  Seemed to work in the second  half

I feel like the Jets selected personnel that they felt was better against heavy running offenses (huff inactive for example) against the Ravens and Browns. I don’t agree, and the results were bad,  but I think that’s where it came from. 

The team also is going to look worse playing from behind and better with a lead. Just how the system is set up.

my gripe with Ulbrich is on keeping the secondary calls complex for the secondary when it you have almost a completely new group starting. He also did little prior to Miami I feel in incorporating stunts and blitzes. Not a blitz heavy defense, but we had been among the league lowest, which is too low in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Rex was a clown that took over a stacked defense and a solid roster.

I think it’s somewhat telling that Rex didn’t last the long term with the Jets, and I think it’s telling that teams haven’t consistently  gone after him hard since. 

Everyone is wondering if Sean Payton is going to step back in, and everyone knows if he does that team has a real shot of becoming a contender within a year or two. I don’t think anyone feels that way about Rex. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

I think Ulbrich gets a bad rap because of last season where he had fifth and sixth round rookies starting at CB and LB. The only premium FA they picked up on that side of the ball was Lawson, and when he went down the DL got thin. Fast forward to this year, and the Jets have their new dawgs at CB, Kwon playing well above his pay grade, and probably the deepest DL in the league. Funny how schemes seem to improve when you have the players to run them. 

This is where I’m joined at the hip with @Joe W. Namath, there’s a big picture going on with the Jets and it seems like the majority of the fans are staring at the tree in front of their noses. Last year was a 20 game exhibition season. It was a learning experience on both sides of the ball. This year is about learning to win, and -if everything goes well- next year is the push. 

Listen, I loved Rex’s defenses, but I had tired of the 3-4 base awhile ago (and we just kept running it and running it). It’s primarily a run defense, that requires blitzing to get to the QB on every down. It was often fun to watch, but I prefer the approach that they’re implementing now in this pass happy league. They’re regularly getting pressure with just four down linemen, often against six or more trying to pass block. That puts a lot of pressure on the QB. And it’s showing up in the stats. 

I get that JN is an online forum and people want to make extreme statements. But I just don’t get the overreactions to Saleh, the team, and his coaches from the beginning.

It’s a Rebuild. Saleh started with nothing, the cupboard was bare. Joe acts like we have the most amazing management team and coaching team in the history of the universe. That is not the case, but we have to give things time.

Maybe Brick is not the long-term answer at D Coordinator. But he’s finally got somewhat  of a defense. I would argue he still needs a couple players added to actually see how his/Saleh’s scheme works.

3 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I think it’s somewhat telling that Rex didn’t last the long term with the Jets, and I think it’s telling that teams haven’t consistently  gone after him hard since. 

Everyone is wondering if Sean Payton is going to step back in, and everyone knows if he does that team has a real shot of becoming a contender within a year or two. I don’t think anyone feels that way about Rex. 

something happened in Buffalo.

with his rep and record he goes 8-8 and then gets fired right before the last game where he was 7-8. after 3 500 years and again his rep as a winner why fire him before the last game. they werent that bad. something happend with the owner thats giving him a bad rep with other owners. 

he is 61-66 and 4-2 in the playoffs in 8 years and had a top 10 defense in every year with the Jets but one (2011) and both years in Buffalo were bad. still he should have gotten another chance

20 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ulbrich is one of the brightest, young defensive minds in the game.  He finally has the players who are now understanding the stystem.

I love your enthusiasm but you can’t be serious?!  This is one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve ever read..

It took the mob to get him and Saleh to make some smart changes, including getting Bryce Huff into the rotation.

Do you really feel he has been out coaching opponents?  No- the Jets talent is starting to shine against some weaker talent.

Ulbrich remains the biggest question mark!  Jetsfactor stated he’s finally starting to play to team’s tendencies. For example, Sauce’s blitz against Teddy.  That’s good but what the F took so long!!

I’m surprised jet fans aren’t concerned about our horrible run defense. With all the talent we have, I’m putting this on our coaches (including Saleh). What we witnessed against Miami is inexcusable and needs to be fixed.

It’s great that we have guys that can get to the qb and shut down opposing wrs. But if we can’t stop the run, we’re not going anywhere. 

1 hour ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I’m surprised jet fans aren’t concerned about our horrible run defense. With all the talent we have, I’m putting this on our coaches (including Saleh). What we witnessed against Miami is inexcusable and needs to be fixed.

It’s great that we have guys that can get to the qb and shut down opposing wrs. But if we can’t stop the run, we’re not going anywhere. 

What we witnessed in maimi was called smart coaching. We forced them to run and waste clock while we took away waddle and hill over the top. I mean you can argue they should have shut down the run game and took a chance of giving up the huge pass and easy scoring opportunities to arguable the bess pair of pass catchers in the league, but Saleh and most NFL fan would disagree.

Don't take anything away from mostert he was earning his yards but they decided to play that game and won verse the big pass where it is likely they might have been more successful.

Good coaching I think