Week 6 PFF Grades

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

PFF backpedals after catching so much crap, adjusts grade. Still not as good as half the Dolphins offense scored this week in another loss.

Top 5 fins offense w6

WR Tyreek Hill – 91.2

QB Skylar Thompson – 89.3

QB Teddy Bridgewater – 80.5

TE Mike Gesicki – 77.7

WR River Cracraft – 73.2

Things the Jets have broken in the last month:

1. Losing streak in the state of Pennsylvania

2. Minkah Fitzpatrick's brain

3. Dolphins ping pong table

4. Aaron Rodger's and Matt LaFleur's relationship

5. PFF Nerds grading system

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Things the Jets have broken in the last month:

1. Losing streak in the state of Pennsylvania

2. Minkah Fitzpatrick's brain

3. Dolphins ping pong table

4. Aaron Rodger's and Matt LaFleur's relationship

5. PFF Nerds grading system

You forgot 6. T0mShane's troll-bot

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 12:20 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

Tomlinson graded out well for the first time this year I believe. Maybe has something to do with having the same LT next to him for the first time? @slats

Somehow Q doesn't make the top 5 defensive grades for the Jets after destroying everything in his path for 4 quarters.

Pff grades are a joke and not even worth discussing. Pff sucks dirty taint

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Lmfao, PFF just magically bumped Quinnen up 10 points.  *POOF* Just like that.  Two days to review everything, gave the guy a poor grade, received an immense amount of backlash, not just from Jets fans, and they can suddenly find 10pts worth of plays/stats.

This, somehow, makes them look even worse than they already have over the years.  Either their algorithm is really as bad as people think it is, or they’re not as “objective” as they portray themselves as being, and now that they’re feeling a bit of backlash, they’re backtracking a bit.

Yup, a total joke.

I was a teacher for many years.  This is sort of like me giving a kid a D grade on a paper.  Then the parents complain, and I go, "Wait, did I say D?  I meant B!"

:-)

I've always felt that PFF having apparently a 100 point system that includes grades to tenths of point is hilariously pretentious.  38.7.  69.2.  Whatever. The probably use some kind of random number generator.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

This, somehow, makes them look even worse than they already have over the years.  Either their algorithm is really as bad as people think it is, or they’re not as “objective” as they portray themselves as being, and now that they’re feeling a bit of backlash, they’re backtracking a bit.

Agreed.  If for whatever reason unbenownst to anyone who watched the game, they thought Quinnen deserved an average to below average grade, at least stick to your guns.  Adjusting the grade makes them look even worse than giving a bad grade in the first place. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2022 at 2:17 PM, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Here were my questions before reading the comments on this board suggesting PFF is worthless:

1. I've never understood the thinking behind pff. What is the point?

2. Has pff ever proven useful/true/telling/impactful in decision making?

3. There are many stats/metrics/analytics that are heavily watched in football (completion %, yaf, total yards, turnover ratio, sacks, hurry ups, tfl, yards given up, points per quarter, etc. so forth and many more). So what does pff add that is so important?

1. Even playing field to rank players, aggregating more than just one isolated statistic. Often a fail, but that’s the thinking.

2. I remember reading, right before we signed him - and when plenty here wanted it (though no one will admit it anymore) - that they had Trumaine Johnson ranked as like the 68th or something ranked CB the prior season. Maccagnan should’ve used it to aid in his decision-making, because such a corner was worth about 1/3 what he did pay, and with just 1 year guaranteed at signing.

3. Honestly don’t know, but I find it useful in terms of looking up individual stats that aren’t published all over, as they log more than most. Their overall ranking for a player I pay less attention to. If a defensive player badly lets someone get past him for an extra 6 yards on 2nd & 1, it sucks but once the RB got the 1 yard it was a first anyway. Same players involved but it was 2nd & 7? Big difference.

It at least tries to give some context to certain positions, where a tackle isn’t a tackle. Tackling a guy before he crosses the sticks isn’t the same as doing so after getting dragged across them, but a generic stat like “tackles” presumes they’re valuable no matter what. Sometimes they get it wrong (e.g. I’ve little doubt they guess wrong on whose assignment was whose, often enough, but most of the time it’s not in question). They’ll also consider a DLman unsuccessful if he doesn’t beat a double or triple team, but commanding such is what left his teammate open to make a play. Doesn’t show up in stats when one player changes what the offense does, away from what they really wanted to do.

Anyway it’s got use as long as you don’t treat everything they log (let alone rate) as gospel. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Completely exposed for the frauds they are. I'll never take them serious again tbh.

Here's the video where they 'explain the grade' around the middle: 

Nice that they concede they were wrong, but they didn't explain how it happened (seems that there was some bias on the part of the analyst but that's unconfirmed).  He did make one interesting point that the grade didn't include the special teams plays (e.g. the punt block).  But overall, they still assume they know things about the 'intent' of each play that they can't possibly know, which gets to what Travis Kelce said last week (before he outright accused them of taking bribes from agents, which wouldn't surprise me in the least).  

The flaw in their system is that they claim objectivity but have people watching the film and making decisions based on their own biases and limited understanding of what's going on, making objectivity impossible.  Certainly an analyst who posts 'f-ck the Jets' from his PFF twitter handle should not still be employed by PFF yet he is.  If they truly cared about their brand image, that would be a thing.

Finally, I mentioned it earlier, look at the LinkedIn profile for their COO, who happens to be Cris Collinsworth's son, Cris being an investor.  The kid has literally no experience for the position.  

Overall, it's a great concept but deeply flawed in execution.

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Here's the video where they 'explain the grade' around the middle: 

Nice that they concede they were wrong, but they didn't explain how it happened (seems that there was some bias on the part of the analyst but that's unconfirmed).  He did make one interesting point that the grade didn't include the special teams plays (e.g. the punt block).  But overall, they still assume they know things about the 'intent' of each play that they can't possibly know, which gets to what Travis Kelce said last week (before he outright accused them of taking bribes from agents, which wouldn't surprise me in the least).  

The flaw in their system is that they claim objectivity but have people watching the film and making decisions based on their own biases and limited understanding of what's going on, making objectivity impossible.  Certainly an analyst who posts 'f-ck the Jets' from his PFF twitter handle should not still be employed by PFF yet he is.  If they truly cared about their brand image, that would be a thing.

Finally, I mentioned it earlier, look at the LinkedIn profile for their COO, who happens to be Cris Collinsworth's son, Cris being an investor.  The kid has literally no experience for the position.  

Overall, it's a great concept but deeply flawed in execution.

81 is way too ******* low. Unless that is the highest grade they’ve ever given a DT

PFF (just like any grading system) has its flaws, but it is useful for positions that are hard to get a feel for when watching a game live (like OL). Also, they regularly update a player's game score midweek after having a second look at the tape. 

That being said, Quinnen's grade against Green Bay is still too low.