New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

23 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Hmm thats a good point. Perhaps Mauricio can play OF or 3rd base. Regardless, they are bringing him up soon and might as well to get his feet wet. In the very least, they can also showcase him for prospective trades.  HE's a very highly sought after prospect. But is there a position on teh team for him? Will be interesting what they do with him.

One of the blogs had a bunch of stuff on why they are leaning towards keeping him down until next year, I forget it all but the main points were:

1. His trade value isn’t going to get much higher, so there is way more to lose if they call him up and he struggles. 

2. He’s a legit potential ROY candidate when he gets called up, and if a team has a ROY winner they get awarded an extra high pick. 

3. They get an extra year out of him if they hold off. 

There just isn’t a lot of incentive to bring him up other than to showcase him and that’s a huge risk. He seems to be the odd man out in this system now unless he gets back on track and his numbers have dipped in Syracuse as of late.

• Upvote 1

If Mauricio struggles if they brought him up it is a lose lose for the Mets- possible trade value will go down and this tean is a train wreck right now for a young player to bring in.  Beside liosing extra year before arbitration. 

It will be interesting to see what they do with Parada and Mauricio. No rush on either but if the Houston boys pan out I'm not sure there is any room on the field for the latter. The league seems to especially love Parada and I wonder if they can get a top pitching prospects if they package both guys together.

In MLB it's money talks first and last. So if a player is offered big bucks he'll take the deal. I think the Mets will try to sign free agents in the off season including expensive ones. But if the money is similar will good players sign here. After what they saw last week. And the backlash from some players like Scherzer. I mean if a player signs and the team underperforms will they try to ship them out and constantly change direction. Lose money and games at the same time. I mean we're basically subsidizing the Astros in their run for another WS. 

4 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

21 - 3 . Really ? They better throw at Acuna tonight . Show some balls .

The Braves have outscored us 34-3 in the past 3 games and we've been shutout twice.  Tomorrow night's game is on ESPN at 7PM.   We'll see what the Braves do for an encore.

image.png.7b617a147195c12ba98cd3c8e204b84a.png

The Mets not only got rid of their two top vet starting pitchers they got rid of three good players in Escobar, Canha and Pham and replaced them with minor leaguers. And you can see the results. They are pretty much unwatchable if not for a resurgence by Pete recently it would even be worse. Someone suggested to me yesterday that I should change teams but that won't ever happen with me I'll be a lifetime Mets fan. I'd ordinarily be following them closely and watching all of their games I even went to 3 of them. Even when they were 5 under .500. But for now pretty much lost interest. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Someone suggested to me yesterday that I should change teams but that won't ever happen with me I'll be a lifetime Mets fan. I'd ordinarily be following them closely and watching all of their games I even went to 3 of them. Even when they were 5 under .500. But for now pretty much lost interest. 

Whoever suggested that is not a sports fan -- sports fans know you can't just change teams, it does not work that way.  Although I agree that they are unwatchable lately.  I will watch if there is nothing else on, but I can usually find something more interesting. 

Like for example, last week, I watched the Women's Tour de France.  Watching Demi Vollering finally get the best of Annamiek Van Vleuten was more compelling than the Mets.

This week, I might have to sit with the wife and watch Real Housewives instead.  Yup, the bar for "more interesting than the Mets" is pretty low right now.

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Braves have outscored us 34-3 in the past 3 games and we've been shutout twice.  Tomorrow night's game is on ESPN at 7PM.   We'll see what the Braves do for an encore.

image.png.7b617a147195c12ba98cd3c8e204b84a.png

Braves have three wins.  We have three runs.  That's not good, is it?

Maybe I will watch tonight to see if we can manage to score two.  Then we are at guaranteed to score more runs this weekend than the Braves will have wins.

Lets Go Mets!!!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

Whoever suggested that is not a sports fan -- sports fans know you can't just change teams, it does not work that way.  Although I agree that they are unwatchable lately.  I will watch if there is nothing else on, but I can usually find something more interesting. 

Like for example, last week, I watched the Women's Tour de France.  Watching Demi Vollering finally get the best of Annamiek Van Vleuten was more compelling than the Mets.

This week, I might have to sit with the wife and watch Real Housewives instead.  Yup, the bar for "more interesting than the Mets" is pretty low right now.

Low but not that low. 

• Haha 1

Updated rankings from MLB. Acuna now at 1 and Gilbert at 2, Parada now 5th. Jett Williams now above Mauricio which makes a ton of sense given Mauricio's struggles lately. Will be fun to see where these guys are next April in the MLB top 100. Scouts seem to be in love with the guys they got from the Verlander and Max trades.

The big takeaway aside from 5 of their top 8 being acquired in the last month through trades or the draft is that their pitching has shot way up. That kid Christian Scott they drafted 2 years ago is shooting up the farm system fast. They just moved up from 29 to 12 in the Mets system. Between him and Tidwell I am starting to wonder if we've underrated their pitching.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Updated rankings from MLB. Acuna now at 1 and Gilbert at 2, Parada now 5th. Jett Williams now above Mauricio which makes a ton of sense given Mauricio's struggles lately. Will be fun to see where these guys are next April in the MLB top 100. Scouts seem to be in love with the guys they got from the Verlander and Max trades.

The big takeaway aside from 5 of their top 8 being acquired in the last month through trades or the draft is that their pitching has shot way up. That kid Christian Scott they drafted 2 years ago is shooting up the farm system fast. They just moved up from 29 to 12 in the Mets system. Between him and Tidwell I am starting to wonder if we've underrated their pitching.

The pitching in the system is what really matured in the system this year. 

As of this writing, Mets have dropped to the Magic 6 slot in the draft 😉.

• Upvote 1

Ottavino had a good save in the 9th inning tonight after the bullpen almost blew another game. Robertson was a good signing and did a better than average and expected job as closer after Diaz injured. You can't contend or win without an effective closer. So when they traded him even before they traded Scherzer and Verlander that was a key sign they were giving up on this season. And when Scherzer started to complain and then he was out too. 

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Ottavino had a good save in the 9th inning tonight after the bullpen almost blew another game. Robertson was a good signing and did a better than average and expected job as closer after Diaz injured. You can't contend or win without an effective closer. So when they traded him even before they traded Scherzer and Verlander that was a key sign they were giving up on this season. And when Scherzer started to complain and then he was out too. 

I give you credit for still watching . I was snoring .

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Speaking of pitching prospects. Did you guys know/see the Braves pitcher that beat us was a former met prospect they left unprotected and was swiped by the Braves? We had him asa reliever, Braves make him a starter (again), he’s pitching in a pennant race in just two years…

Ugh.  What's his name?

18 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The pitching in the system is what really matured in the system this year. 

As of this writing, Mets have dropped to the Magic 6 slot in the draft 😉.

My biggest problem with Tidwell is that he's got the perfect name for a pitcher. Like, it's almost too good. There's no way a guy named Blade is actually going to be awesome, we're not that lucky.

Rosenthal reporting that the Mets are going to be all in on Yamamoto this offseason, who has been the best pitcher in Japan. Given how well they did scouting Senga you have to have some confidence in this FO with Japanese players.

They have a good selling point for him: Aside from a Japanese teammate on the rotation, they can guarantee him that 2024 is a pressure free season, and Japanese pitchers are traditionally inconsistent in year 1. Kid's only 25 so they can sell him on the long-term vision they started implementing.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Rosenthal reporting that the Mets are going to be all in on Yamamoto this offseason, who has been the best pitcher in Japan. Given how well they did scouting Senga you have to have some confidence in this FO with Japanese players.

They have a good selling point for him: Aside from a Japanese teammate on the rotation, they can guarantee him that 2024 is a pressure free season, and Japanese pitchers are traditionally inconsistent in year 1. Kid's only 25 so they can sell him on the long-term vision they started implementing.

2024 will not be a pressure-free season (not should any player want it to be).  Cohen has made it seem like he's not going for it but I'll believe that when I see it.  Yes, he probably won't go after the very top of the FA list but he'll still bring several guys in (probably 2 legit starters and a couple of bullpen pieces).  The Mets will be a playoff contender next year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

2024 will not be a pressure-free season (not should any player want it to be).  Cohen has made it seem like he's not going for it but I'll believe that when I see it.  Yes, he probably won't go after the very top of the FA list but he'll still bring several guys in (probably 2 legit starters and a couple of bullpen pieces).  The Mets will be a playoff contender next year.

Yeah, I thought all along that they would bring some new guys in along the lines you stated to at least be competitive

The Mets winning a few games some BAs like Lindor going up and AAA players Mets brought up to replace players traded providing some offense. Several of them have MLB experience they're marginal but playing OK. Btw Daniel Murphy retired. He came out of retirement this season and played with LI Ducks his contract was purchased by the Angels they sent him to SLC in PCL (AAA) but even with numerous infielder openings on MLB club they didn't bring him up even though he was hitting over .290. 

On 8/19/2023 at 11:22 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Nice little reminder how the push for trading Alonso by some fans and media was maybe the dumbest ******* idea ever.

Can you imagine Alonso on the Braves. He's just the type of guy they'd love. All he does is drives runs in and hit HR'S.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Milwaukee made an offer for Alonso right before the deadline .

Supposedly, so did the Cubs.

I would be interested which side leaked this story. Was it the Mets, sending a message to Alonso that if contract talks stall too much, he is a tradable commodity and can be sent anywhere? Or, was it the Brewers, saying "F you" for the Stearns tampering?

• Upvote 1