2023 Centers

Ron Rico

In general, Jets need offensive linemen. That should be a priority in the 2023 NFL draft. 

They should draft at least one Center, preferably one that start as guard, or vice versa with Conor McGovern.

They will have several opportunities to do that. As soon as they can get one, they have to grab one, even if it means taking one in the second round. In my opinion, The Jets should draft at least OL players in the 2023 draft, preferably three.

Luke Wypler is an American football center for the Ohio State Buckeyes. Wypler grew up in Montvale, New Jersey and attended Saint Joseph Regional High School. Wypler committed to play college football at Ohio State 

if they miss him, in the 3rd round:

Olusegun Oluwatimi is a four-year starter with 45 career starts, all at center for two different programs, most recently for Michigan's run-heavy, downhill ground game.

If they miss on him, then they will probably have to wait until the 5 round for another center to be projected.

If the Jets get either one of those guys, in the 5th round they can get a tackle:

Zion Nelson is coming off of an impressive 2020 season with the Hurricanes and will likely be one of the premier offensive linemen in the 2022 NFL Draft class, assuming he declares. Zion Nelson was listed as a 6-foot-5, 240-pound three-star offensive tackle prospect out of high school.

• Upvote 2

Yup, if you look at a couple, of the highly drafted centers the last few years they have made a huge difference to their olines.  People got on my case for wanting Creed Humphrey rather badly.

In mocks I keep seeing the dude from Minnesota being the top rated guy though I know nothing about him.   John-Michael Schmitz or something like that.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yup, if you look at a couple, of the highly drafted centers the last few years they have made a huge difference to their olines.  People got on my case for wanting Creed Humphrey rather badly.

In mocks I keep seeing the dude from Minnesota being the top rated guy though I know nothing about him.   John-Michael Schmitz or something like that.

I'm on board with this, tbh.  If you can walk away with two starters on the OL in the first 2 rounds(LT in the 1st and C in the 2nd) then I think you at least have to consider it.  Add in a LB like Daiyan Henley in the 3rd and a WR like Charlie Jones in the 4th and that should be 4 players who will at least get significant playing time in year one.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yes, I've been playing with the PFF/Mock simulator and Schmitz always is on the board hovering around 75 overall.

14 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Center definitely needs to be a priority.

Keep

McGovern and draft the heir or upgrade it in free agency and forget McGovern.

I think keeping McGovern and drafting is the best plan…but I’d assume new OC is going to have a lot of say.

Is McGovern under contract in 2023? 

Totally agree. Assuming we don't trade a ton of picks for Lamar, we need to really bolster the oline. 

Center position needs an upgrade. From my perspective, I value intelligence at that position over any other attribute. Give me a guy that can set protections, recognize and call out schemes/blitzes, understand and see stunts and help where necessary. Beyond that, I'd love for him to be strong as heck. Don't give a damn about arm length, height, 40 speed.

Just curious what they do with AVT. Do they keep him at guard or move him to RT? Maybe what they're able to do in the draft and FA will influence that decision. 

On 1/13/2023 at 8:59 AM, bonkertons said:

I'm on board with this, tbh.  If you can walk away with two starters on the OL in the first 2 rounds(LT in the 1st and C in the 2nd) then I think you at least have to consider it.  Add in a LB like Daiyan Henley in the 3rd and a WR like Charlie Jones in the 4th and that should be 4 players who will at least get significant playing time in year one.  

CharlieJones.jpg.f6a032e6c403ed1e60a59b65a7ec3967.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2023 at 11:41 PM, Beerfish said:

I wanted Humphrey and then Bidiaz. Frankly, I've been screaming from the rooftops for them to draft a C and if they don't go OT and C in the first two rounds this season, they are idiots. More than 50% of the problems on O are solved by getting the O line right. And JD has yet to do so. Although I'll give him a slight pass because they've had terrible injury luck, that pass ends if he doesn't seek a repeat of the Brick and Nick draft which served as an anchor to the Jets' O line for a decade.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I wanted Humphrey and then Bidiaz. Frankly, I've been screaming from the rooftops for them to draft a C and if they don't go OT and C in the first two rounds this season, they are idiots. More than 50% of the problems on O are solved by getting the O line right. And JD has yet to do so. Although I'll give him a slight pass because they've had terrible injury luck, that pass ends if he doesn't seek a repeat of the Brick and Nick draft which served as an anchor to the Jets' O line for a decade.

Wouldn't exactly call them idiots for not going OL with their first two picks, but yeah it's clear they need to not only draft an OT who can play right away, but at the very least a C who can eventually be groomed to start.  One of their top two picks has to be an OL.  Ideally in the 1st since that's your safest bet of getting a guy who can step in and play at a high level right away.  I have no problem with them doing that though and then going defense.  LB or FS.  I don't think it's a bad idea to continue building up the D, even with how bad the OL was this past year.  Of course they'll need to bring back McGovern or sign another vet if they go that route, but still.    

• 2 weeks later...

Which position(s) will North Dakota State’s Cody Mauch play throughout the week?

A tight end and defensive end in high school, Cody Mauch developed into an All-America left tackle at North Dakota State. So, where will the potential top-50 pick play during Senior Bowl practices? Mauch was exclusively a tackle in college, but his arms are expected to measure under 33 inches, so teams are hoping to see him on the interior — more so to gauge how he handles the move than because he can’t stay on the outside.

However, I wonder if his best long-term position might be center. Mauch doesn’t have any in-game or practice experience there but has practiced snapping on his own. With his talent and tenacity, it isn’t a stretch to say he could be the best center from this draft class, if he commits to the new position. He was the 43rd pick (Jets) in my most recent mock.

• Upvote 2

We all know these rankings will change several times between now and draft day

Joe Tippmann

Wisconsin · IOL · Junior (RS)

Tippman is a tall, athletic center. He is quick out of his stance in pass protection, flashing the ability to sink and anchor versus power. There are times when he sets too high and will give ground before recovering. He is very aware and redirects easily. In the run game, his athleticism is on display when pulling and working up to the second level. He has the upper torque to turn and dump defenders lined up over his nose. Overall, Tippman is the rare tall center capable of playing with leverage and balance. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2023-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

• Upvote 1

Olusegun Oluwatimi measured in at 6'2  308  with 30 inch arms and an 80 inch wingspan.

Jarrett Patterson who I do like, measured 6'4  304  31 5/8 inch arms but only a 77 5/8 wingspan.  Im not sure why ND moved him from Center to guard, but versatility is always a good thing and he could serve as a good depth piece in the 3rd round.

I do think Oluwatimi and Schmitz will go in the 2nd with Ricky Stromberg also in the mix in the 3rd

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Olusegun Oluwatimi measured in at 6'2  308  with 30 inch arms and an 80 inch wingspan.

Jarrett Patterson who I do like, measured 6'4  304  31 5/8 inch arms but only a 77 5/8 wingspan.  Im not sure why ND moved him from Center to guard, but versatility is always a good thing and he could serve as a good depth piece in the 3rd round.

I do think Oluwatimi and Schmitz will go in the 2nd with Ricky Stromberg also in the mix in the 3rd

Regarding Patterson. I read Patterson was a better option at OG than anyone else ND had and ND had a capable C behind Patterson. 

Well this sucks from Senior Bowl news:  (Lance Zuerlin)

"Schmitz came into the week with a chance to challenge for the title of top center in the draft. He might leave Mobile with that title and put himself squarely in the conversation for Round 1. He impressed me the most of all the prospects I was able to see on Tuesday. Schmitz showed off plenty of core strength and leverage to battle against stronger players. He might be more than just a zone-scheme center -- the ability to play in multiple schemes would elevate his draft stock."

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"Schmitz came into the week with a chance to challenge for the title of top center in the draft. He might leave Mobile with that title and put himself squarely in the conversation for Round 1. He impressed me the most of all the prospects I was able to see on Tuesday. Schmitz showed off plenty of core strength and leverage to battle against stronger players. He might be more than just a zone-scheme center -- the ability to play in multiple schemes would elevate his draft stock."

I just dont see this happening. 

Creed Humphrey was a lot more highly regarded as a prospect and lasted to the mid-2nd.  Linderbaum, considered "a generational center" was a mid first rounder.  

Most importantly though its about need. Looking at the back end of round 1 - Phila has 2 centers, KC is set, SF likes Brendel and hes really cheap.  The Giants have a need but are so desperate for a WR, I just dont see it.  Cincy has Karras under contract at $5 million per year the next 2 so they are likely out too and Dallas has Biadasz. 

Minnesota is the strongest spot for a center as Bradberry has been such a disappointment.  But overall I think Schmitz falls to the 2nd.

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Sirius Kirwan & Rick Neuheisel were impressed with Schmitz leadership yesterday.  He was the OL leader. Lead them running sprints and when he was easily in the lead, turned, waited and waved the rest of the OL to catch up. Schmitz was a good interview.  

• Upvote 1

via Dane Brugler of the Athletic: 

Based on his 2021 tape, Schmitz looked like a solid Day 2 prospect entering his super-senior season. But his 2022 tape wasn’t as clean, especially in pass protection, which clouded his projection. This week in Mobile, however, Schmitz looked more like his old self and stacked win after win in one-on-ones and team drills.

When he keeps his hands and feet in concert, Schmitz can set down his anchor or effortlessly hook and out-leverage defenders. At Senior Bowl practices, he also showed off his movements away from the line of scrimmage to pave the way on screen passes. Wisconsin’s Joe Tippman was my top-graded center in my recent positional rankings, followed closely by Schmitz. But both look like immediate NFL starters.

From Connor Rodgers re his winner from the Senior Bowl:

Minnesota stud John Michael Schmitz came into the week as the potential top center of the class, and now the conversation changes into how early can he go. He’s tough, insanely competitive, strong, and technically refined. His biggest advantage could be how scheme-diverse a player he appears. Winning reps down in Mobile wasn’t enough for him as he looked to drive everyone into the turf through the whistle. He’ll end up a no-brainer top 40-50 player for me.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2023 at 1:15 PM, chirorob said:

Pros:   "Plays with attitude, doesn't stop till the whistle blows.   Low center of gravity, Great Hand Placement.  Relentless Competitor"

Con:  "Short arms.   Conditioning may be an issue.   More a straight line mauler than a run and pull type.  Possible off the field issues."

Don't forget "bad diet".

• Upvote 1