Hackett

Lupz27

33 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Except, that's not how NFL coaching Contracts generally work. 

Hackett isn't making any more, or less money, by taking the Jets job. Any money  he makes from the Jets just reduces the amount the Broncos have to pay him. So if he was set to get 4 million from the Broncos this year and the Jets give him 1 million a year, the Broncos only have to give him 3 million a year. https://www.outkick.com/broncos-fire-coach-nathaniel-hackett/ From the Article "Hackett signed a four-year deal with the Broncos in January and will be paid the entire contract if he doesn’t land another job. If he returns to the NFL in another capacity, he’ll get paid for that work from his new employer and the Broncos will make up the difference to pay his head coach salary.

So he is literally making zero dollars and zero cents to work for the Jets this year when he could have, ala Kliff Kingsbury, just moved to Thailand and collected a monster contract for a year or two without having to work. 

So we go back to motivation. What is his motivation to sign with the Jets if it isn't the money?  I assume to prove that he is still a good OC. Well, do you risk that without some assurances that the Team will sign/trade for a really good QB? It would be idiotic to to do so if your QBs are Zach Wilson, Mike White and Jacoby Brissett. He'd be better off using the next 3 years to find a softer landing spot than the Jets. 

Fair enough. Good points and I learned something. I still think most advisors would say it’s better to stay relevant if you believe in your career, but yes there’s seems to be a question of “what did we entice him with” that is currently outstanding 

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Thats as HC not OC

Was someone else calling the O plays for the Broncos? That's a serious question. 

And even if an OC was initially calling the plays, you'd think he would take over an offense when a team that traded their future for a superbowl run was playing like a high school JV team. 

I want to have hope for this team. I'm having trouble seeing how this is a good move. And if this decision was made with the intention of legitimately trying to get Aaron Rodgers, it goes from a bad hire to an absolute disaster. 

as Jags playcaller:

1 good season, 2 awful 

plus 1 all-time embarrassment in Denver

The Jaguars had one great season with Hackett as OC, in 2017 (sixth in yardage, fifth in scoring), and two others that weren’t as good.

In 2016, they ranked 23rd in yardage and 25th in scoring. In 2018: 27th in yardage and 31st in scoring.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Was someone else calling the O plays for the Broncos? That's a serious question. 

And even if an OC was initially calling the plays, you'd think he would take over an offense when a team that traded their future for a superbowl run was playing like a high school JV team. 

I want to have hope for this team. I'm having trouble seeing how this is a good move. And if this decision was made with the intention of legitimately trying to get Aaron Rodgers, it goes from a bad hire to an absolute disaster. 

What was your preferred path for OC

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

There is a difference being a HC and OC, even if they are calling the plays though Hackett eventually ceded the play calling to Klint Kubiac during the season.

There plenty of examples of successful coordinators and unsuccessful head coaches.

Todd Bowles &Josh McDaniels to name a couple.

15 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

He’s also very close to Saleh and Matt LaFleur. Probably took the job because nobody else wanted it and he felt bad for his friend. 

No, I don't think he took a job because he felt bad for someone friend or not knowing things could go t!ts up and further ruin his career (I know never the Jets)...

17 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

as Jags playcaller:

1 good season, 2 awful 

plus 1 all-time embarrassment in Denver

The Jaguars had one great season with Hackett as OC, in 2017 (sixth in yardage, fifth in scoring), and two others that weren’t as good.

In 2016, they ranked 23rd in yardage and 25th in scoring. In 2018: 27th in yardage and 31st in scoring.

I keep hearing Hackett is the greatest playcaller ever because he happened to be in the same room as Aaron Rodgers and Doug Marrone got Bortles to play well one season 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

There is a difference being a HC and OC, even if they are calling the plays though Hackett eventually ceded the play calling to Klint Kubiac during the season.

There plenty of examples of successful coordinators and unsuccessful head coaches.

Todd Bowles &Josh McDaniels to name a couple.

Hackett’s offensive playcalling at the end of broncos week 1 last September just showed how stupid he is and doesn’t have a clue.  As a Zach Wilson fan do you really think this guy is going to turn him around?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Blake Bortles and the Jags went to an AFC Championship game with Hackett as the OC. Yeah having Aaron Rodgers would be great, but I am not judging him for his Broncos disaster. That wasn’t all him. Russell Wilson is terrible. And he isn’t coming here to run the team. Don’t downplay the Keith Carter hire. Two experienced offensive coaches. Imagine. 

He was good until Nathaniel Hackett got to him.

That Jags team also choked away a 2nd half lead to NE in that AFCCG, and gutter trash sucked the following 2 years with Hackett calling plays.

Schotty got to B2B AFCCG with Mark freaking Sanchez.  Why aren’t they calling him?

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I keep hearing Hackett is the greatest playcaller ever because he happened to be in the same room as Aaron Rodgers and Doug Marrone got Bortles to play well one season 

And I keep hearing that Hackett was the worst possible person on the entire planet earth to hire. That's pretty funny, right?

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He was good until Nathaniel Hackett got to him.

That Jags team also choked away a 2nd half lead to NE in that AFCCG, and gutter trash sucked the following 2 years with Hackett calling plays.

Schotty got to B2B AFCCG with Mark freaking Sanchez.  Why aren’t they calling him?

So you are blaming Hackett for Russell Wilson playing poorly?  

On 1/26/2023 at 9:16 PM, bgivs21 said:

Not a fan of the hire. But let's be real, he didn't turn Russell Wilson into mush, Wilson was already a steaming pile of mush, that's why the Seachickens got rid of him

That story isn’t finished.  Wilson looked MUCH better after Hackett got fired.

■ The Jaguars' 2017 offense led the NFL with 141 rushing yards/game, were second with a 64% red zone touchdown rate, and were fifth in scoring with 26.1 points/game.

■ With Hackett coordinating, Green Bay was a top-10 passing offense in 2020 and '21 and led the NFL in scoring in 2020, averaging 31.8 points/game.

■ His offenses helped three teams reach conference championship games — the 2017 Jags and the '19 and '20 Packers.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So if I got this right , Hackett has made all his QBs play worse but MLF had no hand in the Jets qbs playing bad - they just sucked. 

Where did I say anything about MLF?  Don’t put words in my mouth to make your opinion look good.

9 hours ago, JETS SB said:

■ The Jaguars' 2017 offense led the NFL with 141 rushing yards/game, were second with a 64% red zone touchdown rate, and were fifth in scoring with 26.1 points/game.

■ With Hackett coordinating, Green Bay was a top-10 passing offense in 2020 and '21 and led the NFL in scoring in 2020, averaging 31.8 points/game.

■ His offenses helped three teams reach conference championship games — the 2017 Jags and the '19 and '20 Packers.

-thanks Doug Marrone

-thanks Aaron Rodgers

-Adam Gase and Josh McDaniels been to plenty of championship games as OCs too

You guys are beyond delusional.  This is even worse than Zach apologist talking points