Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

23 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Hard to know?  He could be in decline and still have a great bounce back year at 40.  He had a great 2021.  He hasn't been great in the playoffs.  He was 4 and 1 in the playoffs early in his carreer and since the SB 4 and 0 run he's 7 and 9 since.  11 and 10 for his career.  

The season is 17 games now.  I think it's less of a physical grind because the QB are pretty protected.  It's more of a mental grind.  You're in week 20 if you get out of the 1st round of the playoffs.  

Thumb injuries are tricky.  Warner had ligament damage and it took a few years for him to get back to top form.  Rodgers break might not be an issue at all?  

If he really did want to retire and he's having an FU season to get back at some imagined slight at Green Bay it probably isn't sustainable for an entire year.  

He’s declined from MVP to top five

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The way I look at the forst round is if you are picking in the top of the first round as we are, you want an impact player. I do not believe this draft has those and it os very possible all 3 QBs become JAG quality. As you probably  guessed I am not loving this draft and rather not make a pick at 13

ok, if you don't like who you think will be there at 13, then trade back and make multiple picks later in the draft (or get a future 1st).

i'm sorry, but i don't see how anyone can think a 2nd this year and a future 2nd is worth more than the #13 pick this year.  clearly the jets feel the #13 is more valuable, or this thread would be 200 pages shorter.

last year, the #11 pick was traded for #16, 98 and 120.  the #12 pick (and the #46 pick) were traded for the #32, 34 and 66 picks.  the #13 pick was traded for #15, 124, 166, and 166.

the asset value of #13 is much greater than the collective values of #42 (or 43) and a future 2nd.  i get the conditionality (per the rumor we are discussing) could make the future pick a 1st, but one would assume under this scenario, we are talking a late 1st if it is a team success-based condition.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

ok, if you don't like who you think will be there at 13, then trade back and make multiple picks later in the draft (or get a future 1st).

i'm sorry, but i don't see how anyone can think a 2nd this year and a future 2nd is worth more than the #13 pick this year.  clearly the jets feel the #13 is more valuable, or this thread would be 200 pages shorter.

last year, the #11 pick was traded for #16, 98 and 120.  the #12 pick (and the #46 pick) were traded for the #32, 34 and 66 picks.  the #13 pick was traded for #15, 124, 166, and 166.

the asset value of #13 is much greater than the collective values of #42 (or 43) and a future 2nd.  i get the conditionality (per the rumor we are discussing) could make the future pick a 1st, but one would assume under this scenario, we are talking a late 1st if it is a team success-based condition.

I think it really depends on who is available at 13. If its someone the Jets have valued in top 5 they will pick him. If some other team has a QB drop to them they will trade. Its a very fluid situation and sometimes luck is involved. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Cartersville GA maybe geographically close to Atlanta but it's a backward place in American history 

I'm not going to ruin max no politics rules but Google the history of cartersville ga 

And make sure you use the K button 3 times 

Clemson by the way is in the back hills of south Carolina 

And I'm not saying anything in general about people from Georgia or south Carolina. Trevor Lawrence the human is culturally a fit in Jacksonville. He's not a fit in NYC 

I don't think this is that outlandish of a statement 

Could he be great anywhere? Sure it's possible. But the homesick level for a guy like this in new jersey could also be off the charts 

Tim Tebow is a decent comp, personality wise. Guys like this visit NYC and immediately want to leave 

Some guys with southern experience like Joe willy from pa then Alabama thrive in NY. Others find it too cosmopolitan. I just don't think Trevor Lawrence would be happy here. I wouldn't pass on him but it's not like anyone perfect fit by any means 

wow well that explains it. find a new vice ?!?

Anyways you say AR is in a big decline. OK, reasonable. But let me ask you........where is he now? Would you rank him in the top 10 qbs right now? top 15?

My point is lets say we can agree to him being idk #11 (which he is probably higher but ok). The logic is to snag him at all costs for a year or two and try to win it all. Judging by the torture we have all had to endure, why not?

6 minutes ago, Wit said:

I think it really depends on who is available at 13. If its someone the Jets have valued in top 5 they will pick him. If some other team has a QB drop to them they will trade. Its a very fluid situation and sometimes luck is involved. 

oh, i understand that.

i was talking for the purposes of my discussion with more cowbell (in terms of trade compensation for rodgers) that i'd much rather have the #13 this year and give up the rumored 2nd and conditional 2024 2nd.  he said he'd rather get it over with this year and give up #13, largely because he doesn't like this year's draft class.

baring this rodgers trade being made when the jets are literally on the clock, this is an evaluation that needs to be made without knowing who is going in the top 12 and therefore who will be there at 13

If meeting eyeball to eyeball at the owners meeting didn’t spur anything serious it’s basically a stare down to the draft. 

anyone do a pool yet ? Guess the day and basic terms of the trade. Closest gets a free lifetime membership to JN and bit’s draft preview 

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

Trade value charts have 42 this year and next years second around pick 21 at the most

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

No duh, but this and after listening to boomer today the deal seems very close 

Florio is a Viking fan.  It would be like taking for gospel something a Patriots fan observed about the Jets.   Florio would love nothing more than to see the trade not go through and the packers salary cap wrecked with Rodgers on the team.   

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

btw bit i looked at all the teams and I would say it would be a very very hard debate to claim AR is ranked anywhere worse that the #7 qb in this league

In terms of talent and ability for the next two seasons (ignoring long-term) I'd put it roughly like this:

• Mahomes
  • Burrow
  • Allen
  • Hurts
  • Rodgers

I honestly don't see another QB I'd rather have above Rodgers than those four.  You can debate the order of 2-4 (or 2-5) any way you want but who else cracks the list?

Herbert regressed a bit but could still be better in 2023.  I haven't seen enough from T-Law to put him there yet but another season and he's there.  That's probably the same 7 you saw.  Nobody else even close IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

What did Boomer say?

Deal is basically done confirmed the reports of the current hang up being compensation returning to the Jets if Rodgers retires after this year and seems petty pissed everyone in the mainstream media is ignoring his reports on this situation.  

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Florio is a Viking fan.  It would be like taking for gospel something a Patriots fan observed about the Jets.   Florio would love nothing more than to see the trade not go through and the packers salary cap wrecked with Rodgers on the team.   

I understand but it coincides with the “don’t necessarily need a 1st” comments from your own front office. This report is likely true 

27 minutes ago, nycdan said:

In terms of talent and ability for the next two seasons (ignoring long-term) I'd put it roughly like this:

• Mahomes
  • Burrow
  • Allen
  • Hurts
  • Rodgers

I honestly don't see another QB I'd rather have above Rodgers than those four.  You can debate the order of 2-4 (or 2-5) any way you want but who else cracks the list?

Herbert regressed a bit but could still be better in 2023.  I haven't seen enough from T-Law to put him there yet but another season and he's there.  That's probably the same 7 you saw.  Nobody else even close IMO.

Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence and Brady if he does it again. 

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Hackett didn't call the plays Lefleur did.  See if Russell Wilson credits Hackett for his success in Seattle.   Rodgers was as good or better without Hackett every being in his zip code in the past.

Crediting Hackett for his success is just another FU to the Packers.  

Let’s see if Wilson admits he sucked all on his own, because he did. 

3 years of success together, 2 MVPs and Hackett is given credit as a FU.  Like how?  Rodgers hasn’t called him better than anyone. 

Rodgers was not better in a 3 year stretch as he was with Hackett

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He is the 3rd best weapon on this team.  2nd best to start the year.  If he isn't a weapon then the Jets have, at most, one.

And, everyone has a #3 WR.  Doesn’t make #1 & #2 better.  Lazard isn’t a #1

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

• Mahomes
  • Burrow
  • Allen
  • Hurts
  • Rodgers

I agree on short term value. Long term, I would put Herbert and T-law ahead of him.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

He is no weapon but has value because of his chemistry with Rodgers.   Otherwise he’s just a guy

I repeat.  Who do we have that is better?  Garrett Wilson.  Period.  That is it.  Nobody else can sniff Lazard.  Maybe Breece Hall, but it might take some time for him to be back at 100%.  If Aaron Rodgers had zero weapons in 2022, the Jets are not exactly an embarrassment of riches.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

3 years of success together, 2 MVPs and Hackett is given credit as a FU.  Like how?  Rodgers hasn’t called him better than anyone. 

I disagree.  He's best season was 2010.  He had an incredible playoff run and was SB MVP.  He also won the league MVP twice with Fat Mike.  The Packers and Rodgers were great the years Hackett was their but they lost in the playoffs as the favorite twice and he had a lossing record in the playoffs in that 3 year span.

Nobody in Green Bay cares about regular season stats.  That's why Bart Starr will always be the Packers QB Goat.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I understand but it coincides with the “don’t necessarily need a 1st” comments from your own front office. This report is likely true 

That comment by Gute doesn’t mean they aren’t still seeking first round value.   

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I repeat.  Who do we have that is better?  Garrett Wilson.  Period.  That is it.  Nobody else can sniff Lazard.  Maybe Breece Hall, but it might take some time for him to be back at 100%.  If Aaron Rodgers had zero weapons in 2022, the Jets are not exactly an embarrassment of riches.

Well you do have Hackett.   And you will likely have Rodgers without a broken thumb.   Which prior to 2022 was worth 25-30 ppg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I disagree.  He's best season was 2010.  He had an incredible playoff run and was SB MVP.  He also won the league MVP twice with Fat Mike.  The Packers and Rodgers were great the years Hackett was their but they lost in the playoffs as the favorite twice and he had a lossing record in the playoffs in that 3 year span.

Nobody in Green Bay cares about regular season stats.  That's why Bart Starr will always be the Packers QB Goat.  

It’s called Title town not MVP town 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

But the only thing close to this Jets defense the Packers ever had they won it all

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wilson was awful.  The O they ran was awful.  I've never been a huge Wilson fan and Rodgers is 10X the QB Wilson is.  That said Wilson has been amazingly efficient for a long time and many people think of him as a future 1st ballot HOF QB and in the current conversation of top 10.  I'm not one of them but the Denver O was shockingly bad.

Hackett ran the show.  Hope it was an anomaly.  

3 minutes ago, ptisme said:

But the only thing close to this Jets defense the Packers ever had they won it all

They haven't had great Defenses but they had a better D than the Jets in the year before and in their SB year.  The year before they were out in the wild card round.  The year they won the SB Rodgers had a run in the playoffs that was unreal.  He played great, particularly in the Atlanta game where he put on a show. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They haven't had great Defenses but they had a better D than the Jets in the year before and in their SB year.  The year before they were out in the wild card round.  The year they won the SB Rodgers had a run in the playoffs that was unreal.  He played great, particularly in the Atlanta game where he put on a show. 

That Atlanta game was the greatest performance I’ve ever witnessed by a quarterback in my 51 years 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

Trade value charts have 42 this year and next years second around pick 21 at the most

Yep, that's what I got too but it doesn't seem like you are discounting next year's second round pick which is not worth as much as an equivalent second round pick this year.  Next year's second round pick is worth a third rounder this year so a 2023 2nd rounder + a 2024 2nd rounder is even lower than the 21st pick in this year's draft AND far lower than the 13th pick.

Let's go a step further and say the Jets meet the conditions to trigger next year's first round pick and JD discounts it by half a round in today's dollars (versus the full round draft experts often discount future draft picks).

This year's 42nd pick + next year's late first round (equivalent to a 2023 mid 2nd rounder) = 18th pick this year.  Still lower than this year's 13th pick and would only trigger if the Jets met team performance conditions (per the rumors).

Some on this board are simply failing to understand the discounted value of future picks.  This year is SO much more valuable to both teams for a # of reasons. 

• Upvote 1