Joe Douglas IS a Good GM

2 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Wow. No context whatsoever to the record. No discussion of how he tore a shaky house down to the foundation, then started to build it up again. Let's ignore all that.

Shaky?  That’s like calling the Hindenburg explosion an “oopsie”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Wow. No context whatsoever to the record. No discussion of how he tore a shaky house down to the foundation, then started to build it up again. Let's ignore all that.

How is the QB position looking, five years in?

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

This thread should stand on its own. No need to continue with the nonsense from the "other" JD thread.

Joe Douglas took over for the sh*tshow known as Mike Maccagnan who was taking over after the other disaster John Idzik. MM had a decent first season of leftover vets and Todd Bowles. 10-6 with a bunch of nearly washed up vets and some leftover Idzik guys, but couldnt make the playoffs. It was downhill from there, with 3 terrible seasons, getting worse every season. When Joe Douglas took over in 2019, he acquired an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions. (Currently only ONE of Maccagnan's 34 draft picks, remain on the Jets, Quinnen Williams)

JD's best player, when he took over, was Jamal Adams, and he wanted out soon after the 2019 season. His QB was Sam Darnold and although the book was still out on him, it was looking bleak. Going into the 2020 draft, the Jets could have possibly drafted a QB, but chose the OT Becton as his first pick at #11, not giving up on Darnold just yet. There were 5 solid OT's in this draft, and JD had hopefully picked up one of them. Becton was highly regarded and was a monster. To this day, the story is not over for Becton. Hoping he shows up this year, stays healthy, and becomes a solid lineman. Granted the remaining draft picks in 2020 were not good. Although every draft pundit and evaluator, thought that the Jets drafting Denzel Mims at #59 was a steal, but he has not turned into a good player. Considering where he was projected to be drafted, he was a good value pick that just didnt turn into a good player. The rest of the draft was a disaster, plain and simple, but you cannot complete your evaluation of Joe Douglas in 2020, without considering that in July, he made one of the best trades in Jets history, trading disgruntled Jamal Adams to the Seahawks, for 2 1st round picks. (picks that would turn into Garrett Wilson and Alijah Vera Tucker). This trade was named by Bleacher Report as the "Worst trade of the decade" by the Seattle Seahawks. I am not so good at math, but that would make it the BEST trade of the decade, by the New York Jets and Joe Douglas.

So, a bad 2020 draft, but an amazing trade, that started the renovation of the Jets. Obviously the 2-14 record in 2020 meant a high draft pick for the Jets. Sure, we would have hoped to get the #1 pick and Trevor Lawrence, but we didnt tank as well as the Jaguars did. Zach Wilson was the consensus #2 pick by nearly every draft pundit in the nation. Sure, I guess we could have drafted Trey Lance or Mac Jones or Justin Fields. We all know how it turned out. But the draft was not over and trading up for AVT was thought as an under the radar move by JD, because he was an OG, but we all have seen what the guy can do at nearly every position of the offensive line. Yes, Elijah Moore was a disappointment, but getting the extra 2nd round pick this year for a 3rd and Moore, means we have the ability to use one of those picks for Aaron Rodgers and the other on who knows what, maybe another O-Lineman or D-Lineman. We will see. I have heard people hating on Michael Carter, but the guy was a 4th round pick, undersized and just a role player. I think he remains a role player on this team. The other Michael Carter, DB, for a 5th round pick, was a solid draft choice. But again, we CANNOT end the 2021 season, without another brilliant trade by Joe Douglas, getting a 2nd round pick+ for Sam Darnold. (and oh yeah, the Jets used that pick, and a later round pick, to trade up for Breece Hall) 

We go into the 2022 season with Zach Wilson as our QB1. Joe Douglas brings in Joe Flacco and Mike White from the previous year, to back him up. Because of the trades made by Joe D, we had 2 1st round picks. We not only hit on those 2 picks, we picked the 2 best players of the draft. Trading up for Breece Hall in the 2nd, was another brilliant acquisition, thanks to the Sam Darnold trade. Joe D had a draft of a lifetime. The offensive rookie of the year (Wilson), the defensive rookie of the year (Sauce), and the guy who was favored to win the offensive rookie of the year before injury (Breece). We don't yet know what Jermaine Johnson, Michael Clemons, and Max Mitchell turn out to be, but there is definitely upside in all 3 picks. Add on the free agent pickup of DJ Reed and others, and you have a brilliant offseason, that for the first time in forever, was not just a good offseason, the players obtained turned into stars on the field. The Jets had a disappointing end of the season, and Zach Wilson is not good, but we have a young nucleus of players, that we haven't seen on the field, in a very long time. We have hope. We have a realistic opportunity to be a good team for a long time, with a coach, that players seem to want to play for. The book is still out on Saleh, as well, but there is excitement, that we havent seen in a long time, on this team, and being a QB away from contending, pending an Aaron Rodgers trade and a decent draft, and we have a very good chance of playoffs and who knows. Isn't that what we all want? We have a chance for that. We haven't been able to say those words confidently, since Rex Ryan's teams. 

This isn't a brilliant GM. I am not going to claim that he has even been great (yet). But he has been good, miles ahead of any GM in decades, for the Jets, who made some brilliant trades and a nearly flawless 2022 draft, that has given hope to Jets fans. I really don't care what the "sky is falling", SOJ fans want to hold onto. This is a good young team, with a good young coach that players want to play for, and most likely a year or two with a 4 time MVP, giving us a really good opportunity to have a very good to great season. If we don't obtain Rodgers, that does go against JD's record. I admit that. We blow that and we can revisit this topic.  Right now, we have hope.

Never liked soft salty pretzels anyways. 

19 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

The record isn't good. But a GM's record is hard to judge, since he took over years of ineptitude at GM, clearing out all but one of MM drafted guys, and I look at what the team looks like now, compared to what it looked like, when he took over. That's what matters at this stage.

Everyone saying you can't judge a QB by his record. How can we judge a GM, by years of having to plow through the crap left over by the previous administration?

I like our team now. We have good young superstars. No we don't have a QB and I did say, if we dont get Rodgers, then we need to re-evaluate. Plus, JD is going to have to secure a successor to Rodgers. His job isn't done, but I like what I see. If you don't see what I see, as far as the young core that has been formed, then you are beyond help.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

This thread should stand on its own. No need to continue with the nonsense from the "other" JD thread.

Joe Douglas took over for the sh*tshow known as Mike Maccagnan who was taking over after the other disaster John Idzik. MM had a decent first season of leftover vets and Todd Bowles. 10-6 with a bunch of nearly washed up vets and some leftover Idzik guys, but couldnt make the playoffs. It was downhill from there, with 3 terrible seasons, getting worse every season. When Joe Douglas took over in 2019, he acquired an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions. (Currently only ONE of Maccagnan's 34 draft picks, remain on the Jets, Quinnen Williams)

JD's best player, when he took over, was Jamal Adams, and he wanted out soon after the 2019 season. His QB was Sam Darnold and although the book was still out on him, it was looking bleak. Going into the 2020 draft, the Jets could have possibly drafted a QB, but chose the OT Becton as his first pick at #11, not giving up on Darnold just yet. There were 5 solid OT's in this draft, and JD had hopefully picked up one of them. Becton was highly regarded and was a monster. To this day, the story is not over for Becton. Hoping he shows up this year, stays healthy, and becomes a solid lineman. Granted the remaining draft picks in 2020 were not good. Although every draft pundit and evaluator, thought that the Jets drafting Denzel Mims at #59 was a steal, but he has not turned into a good player. Considering where he was projected to be drafted, he was a good value pick that just didnt turn into a good player. The rest of the draft was a disaster, plain and simple, but you cannot complete your evaluation of Joe Douglas in 2020, without considering that in July, he made one of the best trades in Jets history, trading disgruntled Jamal Adams to the Seahawks, for 2 1st round picks. (picks that would turn into Garrett Wilson and Alijah Vera Tucker). This trade was named by Bleacher Report as the "Worst trade of the decade" by the Seattle Seahawks. I am not so good at math, but that would make it the BEST trade of the decade, by the New York Jets and Joe Douglas.

So, a bad 2020 draft, but an amazing trade, that started the renovation of the Jets. Obviously the 2-14 record in 2020 meant a high draft pick for the Jets. Sure, we would have hoped to get the #1 pick and Trevor Lawrence, but we didnt tank as well as the Jaguars did. Zach Wilson was the consensus #2 pick by nearly every draft pundit in the nation. Sure, I guess we could have drafted Trey Lance or Mac Jones or Justin Fields. We all know how it turned out. But the draft was not over and trading up for AVT was thought as an under the radar move by JD, because he was an OG, but we all have seen what the guy can do at nearly every position of the offensive line. Yes, Elijah Moore was a disappointment, but getting the extra 2nd round pick this year for a 3rd and Moore, means we have the ability to use one of those picks for Aaron Rodgers and the other on who knows what, maybe another O-Lineman or D-Lineman. We will see. I have heard people hating on Michael Carter, but the guy was a 4th round pick, undersized and just a role player. I think he remains a role player on this team. The other Michael Carter, DB, for a 5th round pick, was a solid draft choice. But again, we CANNOT end the 2021 season, without another brilliant trade by Joe Douglas, getting a 2nd round pick+ for Sam Darnold. (and oh yeah, the Jets used that pick, and a later round pick, to trade up for Breece Hall) 

We go into the 2022 season with Zach Wilson as our QB1. Joe Douglas brings in Joe Flacco and Mike White from the previous year, to back him up. Because of the trades made by Joe D, we had 2 1st round picks. We not only hit on those 2 picks, we picked the 2 best players of the draft. Trading up for Breece Hall in the 2nd, was another brilliant acquisition, thanks to the Sam Darnold trade. Joe D had a draft of a lifetime. The offensive rookie of the year (Wilson), the defensive rookie of the year (Sauce), and the guy who was favored to win the offensive rookie of the year before injury (Breece). We don't yet know what Jermaine Johnson, Michael Clemons, and Max Mitchell turn out to be, but there is definitely upside in all 3 picks. Add on the free agent pickup of DJ Reed and others, and you have a brilliant offseason, that for the first time in forever, was not just a good offseason, the players obtained turned into stars on the field. The Jets had a disappointing end of the season, and Zach Wilson is not good, but we have a young nucleus of players, that we haven't seen on the field, in a very long time. We have hope. We have a realistic opportunity to be a good team for a long time, with a coach, that players seem to want to play for. The book is still out on Saleh, as well, but there is excitement, that we havent seen in a long time, on this team, and being a QB away from contending, pending an Aaron Rodgers trade and a decent draft, and we have a very good chance of playoffs and who knows. Isn't that what we all want? We have a chance for that. We haven't been able to say those words confidently, since Rex Ryan's teams. 

This isn't a brilliant GM. I am not going to claim that he has even been great (yet). But he has been good, miles ahead of any GM in decades, for the Jets, who made some brilliant trades and a nearly flawless 2022 draft, that has given hope to Jets fans. I really don't care what the "sky is falling", SOJ fans want to hold onto. This is a good young team, with a good young coach that players want to play for, and most likely a year or two with a 4 time MVP, giving us a really good opportunity to have a very good to great season. If we don't obtain Rodgers, that does go against JD's record. I admit that. We blow that and we can revisit this topic.  Right now, we have hope.

Let's not forget him reigning in ownership establishing a good scouting program and good FO hierarchy to ownership. Oh yeah bringing in Saleh, getting rid of berries and Gase.

I think he is great but it is just a matter of time before all of you do too.

This trade for Rogers will help

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

He has had three drafts. Took a shot at a guy with a high pick. Missed.

So just to be clear, his record isn't good, and his #2 pick QB is a massive, historic bust.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly calling for him to be fired today or anything, but.....

3m13ex.jpg

The "he's so dreamy" hype from some of you is a bit much.

You may love him, but he's 100% on the hot seat right now.  Hence the Rodgers pursuit, clearly NOT a "for the long term" concept, but a "save our jobs" 1-2 year prayer....at great cost.

Win (i.e. playoffs) in 2023, or he, and his man Saleh, are likely done in NY.

• Upvote 1

Best GM in decades? Not even close

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

So just to be clear, his record isn't good, and his #2 pick QB is a massive, historic bust.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly calling for him to be fired today or anything, but.....

3m13ex.jpg

The "he's so dreamy" hype from some of you is a bit much.

You may love him, but he's 100% on the hot seat right now.  Hence the Rodgers pursuit, clearly NOT a "for the long term" concept, but a "save our jobs" 1-2 year prayer....at great cost.

Win (i.e. playoffs) in 2023, or he, and his man Saleh, are likely done in NY.

How do you define “great cost” ? A couple of 2nd round picks and money from the apparent “fake” cap? Gotcha. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, freestater said:

What's his record so far?

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

20-46

Exactly.    Guys on this board blowing smoke up our GM's ass and we barely have an O-Line and our QB play is amongst the worst in the NFL. 

He's not a terrible GM but Becton  and Wilson are hard to overcome.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, undertow said:

Douglas has won me over the past few years but his first two were terrible and the ball washing during that time was bizarre.....he's safe with me tho because Woody would just hire another accountant that would set us back 10 years.

You realize that Brandon Beane went to school for accounting right? :)

His sister and mom are both CPA's. 

7 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Totally agree, I’ve just reached the point where it’s futile to argue anymore.
However, he took over a $hit show. Tore it down and is now rebuilding it. 

• Sympathy 1

If you throw out the abysmal record so far then I guess he’s just swell. He did start with a disaster if a roster but he’s also has had plenty of draft picks to  address it. Missing on Zach Wilson and not understanding the importance of having an adequate NFL back up QB has really hurt his tenure. Will likely at the end of the day end his time here.