Jaxon Smith-Njigba Should be Jets top Target in Round 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, people were wrong about Reagor and White the same way people are wrong about players every single year.  Hall of fame GM's have entire draft classes that don't yield a single NFL player. And yes, this is only us giving our opinions.  And as I said, I love Addison.  Was my top guy until looking at what JSN brings and the fact  I believe Rodgers is going to be a one-year rental.  That means you need a guy who is going to start and play to his strengths right away. 
Limited time is somewhat of a concert of Njigba, but there are people projecting a TE as a round 1 pick who played in 2 games last year in Luke Musgrave.  

But in the end...just draft good players.

Just draft good players. I'm all about it. ...if Musgrave goes round 1, that GM should be looking for work. 

You're not wrong, Rodgers could wind up as a 1 and done... i'm a little more optmistic, barring a SB or total bust, i like our chances at 2 years. I think a new team, with lots of talent and fresh lease on life will buy us that second year hopefully. JSN should hit the ground running as you say, just think this will benefit more from some OL options first.  I watched a lot of his games recently to ensure my mild skepticism wasn't lunacy... I think I understand where the "elite route runner" narrative is coming from, but it's incomplete imo. Average is in complete is what I was thinking.

I believe at least in part, that the scouting community bought into his ceiling last year and confirmation bias has played a part. It happens all the time. We're splitting hairs at this point. I like JSN, just don't love him that early. 

That said, this class leaves so much to be desired that a lot GMs could say i'd rather bet on him that guys with more questions marks. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

Exactly.  That's why you take a tackle at 42 to join the group you already have in place.

They also need a center. Wouldnt be shocked if JD invests heavily in a tackle and a center withhis first 2 picks wherever they end up being. They can get 2 good ones even if they trade back from 13. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Bengals had a much worse oline then us a few years back and neglected it in the 1st round to take jamar chase.  How did that work out?  

Burrows was lucky to survive. Damn near beaten to a pulp and severely injured. That’s how it worked out. 

Fwiw: Pauline’s latest

First, the Philadelphia Eagles are making a late push on the wideout and doing a lot of work on him in recent days. Second, Smith-Njiba is definitely part of the conversation for the Jets at 13 if the offensive tackles are off the board. I was told outright that the Jets are absolutely considering Smith-Njiba with that pick. Both bits of news surprised me, yet I was able to confirm each of them.

If no offensive tackle is available to the Jets at 13, I believe they are in a perfect position to trade down. There will be several teams wanting to trade up for one of the bigger cornerbacks still available (likely Deonte Banks or Joey Porter Jr.) as well as franchises who’ll want to move up to acquire Smith-Njigba.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

First, the Philadelphia Eagles are making a late push on the wideout and doing a lot of work on him in recent days. Second, Smith-Njiba is definitely part of the conversation for the Jets at 13 if the offensive tackles are off the board. I was told outright that the Jets are absolutely considering Smith-Njiba with that pick. Both bits of news surprised me, yet I was able to confirm each of them.

If no offensive tackle is available to the Jets at 13, I believe they are in a perfect position to trade down. There will be several teams wanting to trade up for one of the bigger cornerbacks still available (likely Deonte Banks or Joey Porter Jr.) as well as franchises who’ll want to move up to acquire Smith-Njigba.

Holy chit be true. Might be trying to increase the value of his #13 in trade down though. We shall see. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2023 at 2:18 PM, T0mShane said:

SEA moving from 20 to 15 for the last QB just feels so kosher to me.

20 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

SEA moving from 20 to 15 for the last QB just feels so kosher to me.

I don’t think the Seahawks are going to mess with a QB. Carroll is 80 years old and he loves Geno and Drew Lock. I think the people talking about the Seahawks grabbing QB at 5 or even 20 were the ones mocking Anthony Richardson at #1 and are now scrambling to justify their half-baked Draft Twitter evals

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think the Seahawks are going to mess with a QB. Carroll is 80 years old and he loves Geno and Drew Lock. I think the people talking about the Seahawks grabbing QB at 5 or even 20 were the ones mocking Anthony Richardson at #1 and are now scrambling to justify their half-baked Draft Twitter evals

I think they like Geno too but why is there an out in the contract after 1 year? Not to move to Drew Lock.

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Get me Dalton Kincaid and I'll be VERY happy.

Premier weapon at TE can change this entire offense.  

Wouldn't mind that at all either if JD isn't planning on drafting OL (or isn't happy with what's available to him there).

I feel like WRs are there for the taking every year while top TEs aren't as much.  Then again, I do feel like TE is a position with higher bust potential.  But Ruckert and Kincaid would set us up nicely once Conklin and Uzomah are gone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Who are the Jets starting OTs this year?

It depends on the health of their tackles. Obviously they have Becton who has been hurt for two years and an old wonderful OT in Brown. Mitchell who they drafted last year also got hurt. I like him but they could use help in this position. 

45 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

It depends on the health of their tackles. Obviously they have Becton who has been hurt for two years and an old wonderful OT in Brown. Mitchell who they drafted last year also got hurt. I like him but they could use help in this position. 

IIRC, are you the guy who does in depth research into the draft?  If so, where can I read your opinions on this draft?

How much more are you going to get out of a WR rookie in 2023 than we will out of Corey Davis?  If they draft WR there, Davis will be cut to save $9+ mill.  Will the difference in production really be all that much in his first year?  If you want instant impact and not just an upgrade from Davis to a better #2 WR, then take Kincaid or the Georgia TE.  Now *that* will translate to a big improvement on the field.  And I'm no fan of Corey Davis, BTW.  But I just don't want to use a 1st round pick just to replace him on the roster.   I still have zero reason to beleive that JD doesn't plan to fix the #1 defect currently on the NY Jets: The OL.  #1 defect and it's not even close.