Which QB From Rookie Mini Camp Should We Sign ?

Which QB From Rookie Mini Camp Should We Sign ?   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB From Rookie Mini Camp Should We Sign ?

• Jack Coan. (Going to the Seahawks if we don’t Sign him)
    • Lindsey Scott ( going to the Buccaneers if we don’t sign him )
    • Chase Brice (going to the Falcons if we don’t sign him )
    • None Of Them

I’m a Coan fan rooting for a LI guy but he got starts and a chance in XFL and he was only fair. So I don’t see us signing him not sure about Incarnate QB I know they had a good program. Maybe not sign any of them and go with the 4 already under contract. 

• Upvote 1

Randy Lange's piece on the Jets website indicates that Coan was the most impressive of the QBs, and there does seem to he a level of interest from the Jets. Wouldn't be surprised to hear of him being added to the roster soon:

Things That Stood Out at Jets' Recent Rookie Minicamp

HC Robert Saleh Has Not Only a Draft Pick but a Scout at Pitt; Intriguing QB & WR Get Tryouts

May 08, 2023 at 12:17 PM

/assets/images/imported/NYJ/Lange_Randy-headshot.jpg

Randy Lange

NYJets.com Contributor

E_SZ1_5797-rmc-takeaways

Another QB for the Room?
So who practiced Friday and Saturday? Thirteen undrafted free agents and some 40 tryouts. One of the tryouts was a quarterback, Jack Coan, who completed 10 of 19 for 91 yards and a TD for the Colts last preseason. Also, he was a record-setting QB on Long Island.

More important for Jets offseason purposes: He started for Wisconsin in 2019 (when second-round rookie Joe Tippmann was a redshirt freshman), sat out 2020 with injury, then transferred to Notre Dame in '21, and went to Indy as a UDFA.

Those last two seasons in college, Coan was highly productive with a combined 67.4% accuracy, 5,877 passing yards and 43 TDs to 12 INTs.

"He has a talent, obviously," Saleh said. "I thought he did a really nice job, really impressed everybody. I know we're going to go back, watch his tape real quick just to see if there's more of a discussion to be had."

At Sayville HS, Coan set career Long Island career records with 9,787 passing yards and 128 TD passes while also rushing for 2,551 yards (6.5 yards/carry) and 33 TDs. He was a three-time Boomer Esiason Award winner as the top QB in Suffolk County.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/4-things-that-stood-out-at-jets-recent-rookie-minicamp

• Upvote 2

I didn't know that XFL players can't sign with NFL teams until May 15th, but apparently that is the case.

So possible that the Jets may have an agreement with Coan already, and are just waiting to officially sign him. It does seem that they like him, judging from the coverage of him on the Jets' website and Saleh's positive comments about him.

He's also been invited to the Seahawks camp this week, so if he doesn't show up there it will tell us he probably already has an agreement with the Jets.

Jets and Seahawks were both interested in Coan before and after the draft last year, but he signed with the Colts before heading to the XFL. He does have some talent, so I could see the Jets possibly preferring him over Streveler for a potential PS spot this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

It’d probably be wise to stick Coan on the practice squad, at least, given Rodgers’ age, but if they’re truly deluded enough to try and develop Zach Wilson, he’s going to get all those snaps at scout team QB anyway, so Coan would be wasting a year of his life. Kinda hate wasting a roster spot on Boyle, but he’s Rodgers’ buddy so it’s whatever. Streveler should consider trying to hang on as a fullback/HBack conversion who plays all the specials. He’s athletic enough for it, and lord knows the Jets need a bigger back to handle short yardage. With no receivers playing specials this year, they’re going to have to get creative with staffing up punt and kick coverage.

• Upvote 3

On 5/9/2023 at 2:35 AM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I’m sure all of these guys are no worse than Zach Wilson.  sh*t, Strevler looked like he’s never thrown a football in his life, and he outplayed ZW.

Wilson needs a complete tear down. He shouldn’t be anywhere near a field in 2023. Big mistake to have him listed QB2 “for teh confidence.”

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's really weird when you find out the team name. Incarnate Word Motherf*ckers. Very incongruous. 

Guess we know where Zach Wilson will be finishing his undergraduate degree.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...