If Zach Wilson works under Rodgers for a year and still looks like Zach Wilson

27 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Why does Zach have “untapped potential?”  

Mainly based on his physical athleticism and arm strength.  I have not seen any narrative against that to this point. Also ... the inaccuracy issues were new since joining the Jets.   He was an accurate thrower in college especially his senior year. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Mainly based on his physical athleticism and arm strength.  I have not seen any narrative against that to this point. Also ... the inaccuracy issues were new since joining the Jets.   He was an accurate thrower in college especially his senior year. 

Processing speed. Slow football brain disease. The reason behind the failure of like 90% of physically-gifted QB prospects.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

By all accounts he loves football and is constantly studying and putting extra time in. I don't know where the narrative that he isn't dedicated enough started - it's been debunked by players and people following the team - even the coach.

The second pick in the draft being as bad as he’s been clearly points to a player not being all in. Orlovsky I believe had the breakdown last year where it was clear he didn’t know the plays. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

copy that ... a 9 year veteran and a 7 year veteran are both better than a guy entering his 3rd year.

Zach was a #2 overall pick. His defenders say Mike White sucks. So yeah, Zach should be better than him. FYI Zach has a ton more game experience than White, also. You realize you’re just destroying your own argument by engaging in this comparison, right? 

I'll never understand how anyone can die on a player's hill.

Love them or hate them, why continue with the same tired argument in every thread?  I've read the same talking points at least ten thousand times.  

Who cares if Wilson sucks?  Who cares when people say Wilson sucks?

We aren't getting a backup good enough to win it all if Rodgers goes down.  Those guys are called STARTING quarterbacks and they cost 30+ million dollars.  If Rodgers misses a game or three, you rely on the running game and top five defense to tread water until he gets back.  It'll make the team stronger if they can win a game or two without #8.

Root for the laundry and whoever wearing it, then move on when they do.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'll never understand how anyone can die on a player's hill.

Love them or hate them, why continue with the same tired argument in every thread?  I've read the same talking points at least ten thousand times.  

Who cares if Wilson sucks?  Who cares when people say Wilson sucks?

We aren't getting a backup good enough to win it all if Rodgers goes down.  Those guys are called STARTING quarterbacks and they cost 30+ million dollars.  If Rodgers misses a game or three, you rely on the running game and top five defense to tread water until he gets back.  It'll make the team stronger if they can win a game or two without #8.

Root for the laundry and whoever wearing it, then move on when they do.  

Because year 1 the people pointing out that Zach sucks we’re scolded.

• Upvote 2

On 5/31/2023 at 7:48 PM, Greensleeves said:

Funny how so many people are wanting this kid to fail. We can't insert a rookie into the lineup after he leaves, so that's out. Wilson will be given one more chance if he shows in practice he has a handle of the offense and he keeps improving. He has way too much talent to discard because noone could develop him - especially Lafleur who never had done it before. We should put a lot of energy into making him ready in two years because the options won't have his potential. It's a win for us if he's the QB. If he shows he can't do it they will move on. If he is sharp and develops, he could still be the guy for 10 years. Arod sat several years, which in part made him into the QB he is today as he had way more time to develop.

Want him to fail or want to prepare in the event he continues to fail?  Like him or not, odds are against him ever becoming much of anything here.  It's possible Rodgers as mentor can salvage his career, but I'd still call it a longshot.  I'm rooting for the kid to turn it around, but I think relying on that happening is a pretty big risk.  

Also not sure why we couldn't replace Rodgers with a rookie.  Teams do that all the time - replace their veteran with a kid they drafted and developed.  Ideally yes, we wouldn't be replacing Rodgers with a kid we just drafted, but someone we drafted at least a year prior and let learn the offense/learn under AR for a year.  Considering how expensive some of our young players will be in in 2-3 years, IMO replacing Rodgers with a kid on a rookie contract sounds like a decent plan.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Want him to fail or want to prepare in the event he continues to fail?  Like him or not, odds are against him ever becoming much of anything here.  It's possible Rodgers as mentor can salvage his career, but I'd still call it a longshot. 

I still have no idea what things Rodgers can instill in Zach that will actually fix anything.

”Hey Zach:  I notice that you struggle immensely with footwork and terrible throws to wide open and short yardage WRs, turn your back from the DL at the first sign of trouble, and generally have some attitude issues which makes most people in the building at minimum vaguely dislike you.  Maybe….stop doing that stuff?” 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/1/2023 at 6:08 AM, T0mShane said:

Oof. #Oof

Zach took his mom and his girlfriend to see "Wicked" last year. Right before the start of the season when he was rehabbing his knee iirc. That's probably why he didn't go this time.

5 minutes ago, jetlily said:

Zach took his mom and his girlfriend to see "Wicked" last year. Right before the start of the season when he was rehabbing his knee iirc. That's probably why he didn't go this time.

Word. Similarly, Charlize Theron recently asked me to have sex with her and I was like “Nah, I’m good. I had sex last year. Thanks tho.”

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Word. Similarly, Charlize Theron recently asked me to have sex with her and I was like “Nah, I’m good. I had sex last year. Thanks tho.”

Just to be clear here:  You’re comparing going to a Broadway show with having sex with Charlize Theron?  

• Haha 2

On 6/1/2023 at 2:51 PM, slimjasi said:

The thing is, if Rodgers plays well, he will be here for two years, the Jets will not have seen the improvement from Zach in actual games that warrants them picking up his option, and he will likely be traded or cut.  

If Rodgers doesn't play well, the team will underperform and everyone will get fired. The new regime willl come in and clean house - starting with Zach. 

Basically, I don't see the scenario where Zach has a future here, unless you believe that Rodgers will get hurt and Zach will come in and suddenly play well. 

I just want a QB2.  Not a Qb who is no. 2

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/1/2023 at 3:19 PM, Dunnie said:

He was accurate facing bottom feeder competition.  Zach never played well against a top 25 defense in college.  But hey, you still are drinking from that kool aid firehose

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He was accurate facing bottom feeder competition.  Zach never played well against a top 25 defense in college.  But hey, you still are drinking from that kool aid firehose

Dastardly hater!

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:47 PM, AFJF said:

In either scenario, they need a QB to replace Rodgers.  Would you consider taking a guy in the late 50's with their first pick next season or wait until the 2025 draft and hope to get one in the 20's?

I don’t like jets track record of 1st and 2nd round picks on qbs lol. Why do we always have to waste a top pick on likely qb bust ? Rather roll the dice like San Fran, let’s take a Brock Purdy in 7th lol 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I don’t like jets track record of 1st and 2nd round picks on qbs lol. Why do we always have to waste a top pick on likely qb bust ? Rather roll the dice like San Fran, let’s take a Brock Purdy in 7th lol 

We've rolled the dice on quite a few mid/late round QBs over the years.  They just never work out, so its easy to forget:

• James Morgan (2020 - 4th round)
  • Bryce Petty (2015 - 4th)
  • Tajh Boyd (2014 - 6th)
  • Greg McElroy (2011 - 7th)
  • Erik Ainge (2008 - 5th)
  • Brooks Bollinger (2003 - 6th)

We've also grabbed guys off the FA pile who had been recent midrounders by other teams:

• Mike White (2018 - 5th/DAL) - signed in 2021
  • Luke Falk (2018 - 6th/TEN) - signed in 2019
  • Davis Webb (2017 - 3rd/NYG) - signed in 2018
  • Kevin O'Connell (2008 - 3rd/NE) - signed in 2009
  • Kliff Kingsbury (2003 - 5th/NE) - signed in 2005

And some undrafted guys:

• Matt Simms (2013 UDFA)
  • Brett Ratliff (2008 UDFA)
  • Tory Woodbury (2001 UDFA)
  • Ray Lucas (1996 UDFA)

And even a couple CFL guys:

• Chris Streveler (2022 signing)
  • Ricky Ray (2008 signing)
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've rolled the dice on quite a few mid/late round QBs over the years.  They just never work out, so its easy to forget:

• James Morgan (2020 - 4th round)
  • Bryce Petty (2015 - 4th)
  • Tajh Boyd (2014 - 6th)
  • Greg McElroy (2011 - 7th)
  • Erik Ainge (2008 - 5th)
  • Brooks Bollinger (2003 - 6th)

We've also grabbed guys off the FA pile who had been recent midrounders by other teams:

• Mike White (2018 - 5th/DAL) - signed in 2021
  • Luke Falk (2018 - 6th/TEN) - signed in 2019
  • Davis Webb (2017 - 3rd/NYG) - signed in 2018
  • Kevin O'Connell (2008 - 3rd/NE) - signed in 2009
  • Kliff Kingsbury (2003 - 5th/NE) - signed in 2005

And some undrafted guys:

• Matt Simms (2013 UDFA)
  • Brett Ratliff (2008 UDFA)
  • Tory Woodbury (2001 UDFA)
  • Ray Lucas (1996 UDFA)

And even a couple CFL guys:

• Chris Streveler (2022 signing)
  • Ricky Ray (2008 signing)

The sad truth is that we have tried everything for the last 45 years.  And nothing has worked.  Over the last 10 seasons, we have repeated the mistake of sending a rookie out there with a bad roster and expecting a good result.

I don't know how its gonna work out with Rodgers.  Same thing we tried 15 years ago that didn't work out, but you are going to be able to make the "tried it before and it didn't work out argument" no matter what we do.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

The sad truth is that we have tried everything for the last 45 years.  And nothing has worked.  Over the last 10 seasons, we have repeated the mistake of sending a rookie out there with a bad roster and expecting a good result.

I don't know how its gonna work out with Rodgers.  Same thing we tried 15 years ago that didn't work out, but you are going to be able to make the "tried it before and it didn't work out argument" no matter what we do.

The Jets seemingly invent new and creative ways to f**k up at the QB position at every turn.

Makes the criticism for trading for an all-time great (who still very likely has juice left) all the more baffling.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets seemingly invent new and creative ways to f**k up at the QB position at every turn.

Makes the criticism for trading for an all-time great (who still very likely has juice left) all the more baffling.

I get the criticism.  We just saw the Broncos mortgage the future for a former All Pro, SB champ QB and it has not exactly worked out for them.

We are rolling the dice on an older star coming off an off year.  If it works out, it could be a great season or two.  If it doesn't, its gonna be more of the same that we have experienced over the past 12 seasons, only with the extra disappointment brought on by expectations.  I am glad we are taking a different approach.  Hopefully Rodgers has plenty left and have a lot of fun for a couple of seasons.  We deserve it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I get the criticism.  We just saw the Broncos mortgage the future for a former All Pro, SB champ QB and it has not exactly worked out for them.

Russ is about to have a bounceback year in a big way, especially with Sean Payton around.  And those same folks who mention Russ fail to mention how the Bucs and Rams went and got a veteran QB and it DID work for them.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Russ is about to have a bounceback year in a big way, especially with Sean Payton around.  And those same folks who mention Russ fail to mention how the Bucs and Rams went and got a veteran QB and it DID work for them.

No argument from me.  No move is ever guaranteed to work out, nor is it guaranteed to fail.  Maybe what we are trying will fail, but if it succeeds it should be awesome.

• Upvote 2

On 6/1/2023 at 7:08 PM, Matt39 said:

Because year 1 the people pointing out that Zach sucks we’re scolded.

If the guys who were pointing out that Zach sucks in year one had any real conviction or balls they would have hired a hit man to wipe out the entire Zach Wilson gene pool.  

You were all guessing just like JD was.  You were right but did nothing about it.  STFU already and get over it.  

21 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If the guys who were pointing out that Zach sucks in year one had any real conviction or balls they would have hired a hit man to wipe out the entire Zach Wilson gene pool.  

You were all guessing just like JD was.  You were right but did nothing about it.  STFU already and get over it.  

So “doing something about” our negativity over Zach as a prospect, to you, means committing murder.

Wow.  I can’t even comprehend how your brain arrived at this thought and then decided it was a good one to post for the internet to see.  

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A bit aggressive. I’m happy Douglas moved on as quickly as he did. I still fault the Jets for babying Wilson and not doing enough homework on the transition from BYU to an NFL locker room. More ground rules should have been established from the onset.

• Upvote 2