If Zach Wilson works under Rodgers for a year and still looks like Zach Wilson

24 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Unless Douglas and Saleh are both actively hoping to move on there is a 0.0% chance the current long term plan is Zach Wilson at QB.

They should write him off as a total loss for team-building purposes and then if he shocks everyone by becoming a FQB before he is no longer a Jet, it’s found money.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

I don’t understand what the relevance is

The relevance is it's not Zach's fault that he's not a competent NFL QB.  It's the Jets fault that they drafted him, annoited him the starter, hired a first time HC from the Defensive side of the ball.  He hired an OC that never was an OC before and had a pubic hair thin resume, etc.,etc., etc.

I have no issue with Zach.  He is Zach.  He's also signed and it seems dumb to want him run off the team when he's going to be sitting on the bench as either a 2 or a 3 on a team that doesn't sniff the playoffs if Rodgers goes down.   He's about as relevant as most practice squad players.  I don't have an issue with any of them either.  

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The relevance is it's not Zach's fault that he's not a competent NFL QB.  It's the Jets fault that they drafted him, annoited him the starter, hired a first time HC from the Defensive side of the ball.  He hired an OC that never was an OC before and had a pubic hair thin resume, etc.,etc., etc.

I have no issue with Zach.  He is Zach.  He's also signed and it seems dumb to want him run off the team when he's going to be sitting on the bench as either a 2 or a 3 on a team that doesn't sniff the playoffs if Rodgers goes down.   He's about as relevant as most practice squad players.  I don't have an issue with any of them either.  

I don’t care whose fault it is that he sucks.

3113110A-F771-4E9E-B564-474FFF0C1C03.gif.0ede909acb386b1d6e91d844092419e1.gif

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That's the point.  Being not good enough to play pro-football QB doesn't mean he sucks.  

It does within the context of a pro football messageboard. I’d pick him first for my annual family two-hand touch backyard game, if that makes you feel better.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

It does within the context of a pro football messageboard. I’d pick him first for my annual family two-hand touch backyard game, if that makes you feel better.

Personally I would trade down and look for the first pick in next years game. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Personally I would trade down and look for the first pick in next years game. 

You would’ve traded down the year Zach was drafted? Me too. And rolled with a bridge vet. Only difference is that I said it at the time and called Zach a bust. So did @Jetsfan80, another guy the Nauvoo Legion spars with the most.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

You would’ve traded down the year Zach was drafted? Me too. And rolled with a bridge vet. Only difference is that I said it at the time and called Zach a bust. So did @Jetsfan80, another guy the Nauvoo Legion spars with the most.

I thought the move was trading both Darnold and the 2 we used on Zach and taking Mills in the 2nd round.

I was okay when we took Zach because I figured Douglas knew what he was doing.

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

He's not "either a 2 or a 3" - he's a 2. He's the backup QB. 

On what planet is the backup QB irrelevant? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I thought the move was trading both Darnold and the 2 we used on Zach and taking Mills in the 2nd round.

I was okay when we took Zach because I figured Douglas knew what he was doing.

I don’t fault a GM for taking his shot and whiffing at QB, even the best fail in that regard. And to JD’s credit he’s turned the page — as much as some want to believe the PR niceties that paying Rodgers $100M for 1/2 years means full confidence in Zach.

• Upvote 1

He will have two years to get better and figure things out.  No matter what happens Douglas will get something out of the player even if it is a trade.

After two years of Rodgers the plan right now is Wilson much to the horror of most of this forum.

I also have a feeling he will get reg season playing time in the net two years.  (40 year old QB)

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You should tell that to the head coach who has referred to him several times already as the backup QB. 

He's going to be the backup this year. 

He's certainly not irrelevant. 

I dated girls in junior high who weren’t as fickle as Saleh.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

He will have two years to get better and figure things out.  No matter what happens Douglas will get something out of the player even if it is a trade.

After two years of Rodgers the plan right now is Wilson much to the horror of most of this forum.

I also have a feeling he will get reg season playing time in the net two years.  (40 year old QB)

Based on what happened in the NFL last year there is almost 100% chance to see Zach this year. The original question is the wrong one. The question should be  "If Zach Wilson works under Rodgers for a year and looks like what was expected of him when drafted....." That is a much more complex question to answer.

30 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Agree they're irrelevant.  The difference is Rodgers has actually done it when the other guys were shooting at him.

That is true but irrelevant in regards to being excited about ota throws. U get excited for aaron, grt excited for zach.  Cant pick and choose to suit ur agenda.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I dated girls in junior high who weren’t as fickle as Saleh.

Ok 

I think what I’ll do is wait until the season starts and Rodgers takes his first big hit and then I’ll start a poll in the middle of the game asking  everyone on JN how “irrelevant” Zach Wilson feels to them. 

it will be fun! 

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

He's not "either a 2 or a 3" - he's a 2. He's the backup QB. 

On what planet is the backup QB irrelevant? 

Just typical goal post moving. “We are screwed if Rodgers is lost doesn’t matter who the QB2 is.” As if every injury is season-ending.

Rodgers could miss a quarter in a tight game and it would be nice to have a QB other than Dirtball Sally to hold a lead.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Just typical goal post moving. “We are screwed if Rodgers is lost doesn’t matter who the QB is.”

Uh… Rodgers could miss a quarter in a tight game and it would be nice to have a QB other than Dirtball Sally to hold a lead.

Pray that he’s magically better 

that’s what we are down to 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

agree. i also think people discount that the jets will be able to see the progress or lack of it...we will know what the deal is sooner or later.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Just typical goal post moving. “We are screwed if Rodgers is lost doesn’t matter who the QB2 is.” As if every injury is season-ending.

Rodgers could miss a quarter in a tight game and it would be nice to have a QB other than Dirtball Sally to hold a lead.

Come to think of it - almost all of us were children when we started rooting for the Jets . . Hmmm. 

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

agree. i also think people discount that the jets will be able to see the progress or lack of it...we will know what the deal is sooner or later.

That’s totally fair and I’m sure they are constantly evaluating him, but the concern is, what if he has to play this year? Why not just make him 3rd string (redshirt him) and give him a chance to win the job in camp should Rodgers decide to retire after this year? 

I guess we’ll see what he looks like in the preseason, but there is just no evidence that he’s ready to be the backup QB on a playoff team. You can’t blame people for being concerned. 

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That’s totally fair and I’m sure they are constantly evaluating him, but the concern is, what if he has to play this year? Why not just make him 3rd string (redshirt him) and give him a chance to win the job in camp should Rodgers decide to retire after this year? 

I guess we’ll see what he looks like in the preseason, but there is just no evidence that he’s ready to be the backup QB on a playoff team. You can’t blame people for being concerned. 

“The Jets rushed Zach into action before he was ready and broke him and now he needs a deliberate and well-executed rebuild.”

The same people: “We don’t need a ready-now QB2 to play if Rodgers goes down, we have Zach!”

And we all know if the unthinkable happens and Zach has to play this year and he — most probably — stinks, the same people will then say “The stupid Jets didn’t even give the rebuild a chance by forcing him back in.”

• Haha 2