If Zach Wilson works under Rodgers for a year and still looks like Zach Wilson

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Any plan that relies on Zach Wilson making the neigh-unprecedented turnaround from literally league-worst to a top-10 (Franchise QB) level is wrong.

JD is being charitable and polite.  It’s a free option.  They owe him this year and next and already paid him a bonus.  To admit defeat only accelerates and crystallizes the loss.  If he can show something potentially someone pays something for him later. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No but some sure like to pretend a Ryan Leaf-esque QB is still “the future”.

I don't have a problem hanging on to him and see if they can develop him.

As others have said I think they're risking a lot if he's the only option at back up this year.

It's a delicate situation because Rodgers probably gets his feelings hurt if the team drafts a high QB pick knowing they want to move on from him and upset that pick wasn't used to help him. That's what happened with Love in GB. OTOH the Jets cannot let Rodgers hold the team's future hostage knowing there is no long term with him. 

In the situation where ZW shows no meaningful improvement and Rodgers expresses intent to play into 2025 or even 2026, I expect to see Douglas take a project pick in the mid rounds and looks at bringing in another vet as a bridge when Rodgers leaves. Too many variables right now to predict what will or needs to happen two or three years out. Hopefully Douglas has managed the roster and put up enough good seasons that the team can attract good talent and have options rather than scrambling to make the most of a bad situation.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

On 5/13/2023 at 4:24 PM, KRL said:

Let's be real here, Wilson in practice and the pre-season will be going against
#2s and #3s.  As a third year player who has been a starter he should look 
significantly improved because he'll be going against backups.  If he doesn't
that will be a huge red flag

Red Flag Stop GIF by Richard Childress Racing

On 5/13/2023 at 2:27 PM, AFJF said:

Do you consider using what will likely be pick 55 or later on a QB in the 2024 or wait until 2025 when you have a first that again, could be late 20's or...hopefully....32nd?

I can't see a top pick being used on a QB while Rodgers is playing for the Jets.

That is one cost of the all-in-on-Rodgers plan.  

I think we draft a QB with our #1 pick.....the day after Rodgers retires for good.

• Upvote 4

Let's be real here, Wilson in practice and the pre-season will be going against
#2s and #3s.  As a third year player who has been a starter he should look 
significantly improved because he'll be going against backups.  If he doesn't
that will be a huge red flag
New system ... Players he has no chemistry with .. I'd temper your expectations

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

JD is being charitable and polite.  It’s a free option.  They owe him this year and next and already paid him a bonus.  To admit defeat only accelerates and crystallizes the loss.  If he can show something potentially someone pays something for him later. 
I expect significant improvement by 2024 .. and I expect him to be extended for 3 years after that.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

I’m going to sound like a broken record but I honk Wilson will be much improved with Hackett running the offense as opposed to milfy. Notice that the jets have 9 coaches on offense and I’m thinking at least one is going to be responsible for Zach. Of course there’s a chance it won’t work.  Maybe Zach has achieved all he can but until the jets try they won’t know.  And if doesn’t works there’s always a chance Rodgers sticks around for three seasons and the jets pick a qb in 24 or 25. And there will more than a few QBs out there that the jets can  bring in.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

It's a delicate situation because Rodgers probably gets his feelings hurt if the team drafts a high QB pick knowing they want to move on from him and upset that pick wasn't used to help him. That's what happened with Love in GB. OTOH the Jets cannot let Rodgers hold the team's future hostage knowing there is no long term with him. 

In the situation where ZW shows no meaningful improvement and Rodgers expresses intent to play into 2025 or even 2026, I expect to see Douglas take a project pick in the mid rounds and looks at bringing in another vet as a bridge when Rodgers leaves. Too many variables right now to predict what will or needs to happen two or three years out. Hopefully Douglas has managed the roster and put up enough good seasons that the team can attract good talent and have options rather than scrambling to make the most of a bad situation.

Drafting a quarterback when Rodgers was 35 and the league MVP is just a little different than drafting a quarterback when he’s 40 and in his final years. 

At this point, Zach is just a failed investment that you have no choice but to hold. Maybe the market turns, but you can’t sell at a loss at this exact moment. 

he’s going to get his first opportunity this year to just sit back and learn how to be a professional without all of the pressure on him. This should have been done his rookie year, so it might be too late, but it can only help him at this point. He’s already hit rock bottom, can only go up from here.

• Upvote 3

Just now, extmenace said:

At this point, Zach is just a failed investment that you have no choice but to hold. Maybe the market turns, but you can’t sell at a loss at this exact moment. 

he’s going to get his first opportunity this year to just sit back and learn how to be a professional without all of the pressure on him. This should have been done his rookie year, so it might be too late, but it can only help him at this point. He’s already hit rock bottom, can only go up from here.

Exactly. The prudent measure here is consider him a total loss and plan accordingly. If he defies those expectations and becomes something, it’s found money (the best kind of money). But that hope sure shouldn’t influence your current decision-making.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

It's a long shot, but I like being on the positive side.  After a year, I'm hoping ZW looks like a younger AR than the same ole ZW.

And I’m hoping my ex-wife turns into Jessica Biel and then begs for me to take her back.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Drafting a quarterback when Rodgers was 35 and the league MVP is just a little different than drafting a quarterback when he’s 40 and in his final years. 

Sure, from a position of team continuity that's absolutely true. If you're trying to wring out all the good years from a franchise QB after paying what the team paid in trade compensation, Douglas has to look at what makes that happen.

If Douglas only expects two years out of Rodgers, then sure, go for whoever you think might be the future of the franchise. If Douglas wants to sign Rodgers to additional years, Rodgers is going to want to be on a team that continues to go all-in on winning now. A high pick QB signals the opposite. The worst scenario is that Rodgers has a good 2023, Douglas drafts a high QB pick in 2024 and Rodgers gets upset and decides to retire. 

they should have taken Tanner McKee in the 6th round like the eagles did... That was the perfect spot for him to develop in case ZW doesn't. We have no shot at Drake Maye next year unless we trade all our picks. If this team keeps being respectable for the next 3 years, then it's going to have to be a QB that was missed somewhere and turns out to be like Purdy.

• Sympathy 1

I think Rodgers is playing 2 years and maybe even 3 more and we should be using all of our resources during that window to win a championship.

However, If Wilson isnt progressing this year I think it would be prudent to draft a QB in the 2nd-3rd round next draft if theres someone there that we like to develop. 

You just hope Wilson shows enough that the team has confidence he can be the guy in ‘25 or ‘26.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:00 PM, Maxman said:

I don't have a problem hanging on to him and see if they can develop him.

As others have said I think they're risking a lot if he's the only option at back up this year.

They're risking having the season go from SB contender to garbage in the blink of an eye.

Not having  a guy who can even manage a game for 2 quarters to hold a lead if needed is beyond wreckless.

It's the most half-assed "all in" offseason I've ever seen up to this point 

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2023 at 10:13 PM, Warfish said:

I can't see a top pick being used on a QB while Rodgers is playing for the Jets.

That is one cost of the all-in-on-Rodgers plan.  

I think we draft a QB with our #1 pick.....the day after Rodgers retires for good.

Is it really a "top pick" when it'll likely be in the mid/late 50s?

And Rodgers himself knows this is a very small window.  Unlikely he feels offended over the Jets planning for his retirement.  He knows they didn't give up a ton of assets to try to replace him while he's here.

On 5/14/2023 at 5:13 PM, Warfish said:

I can't see a top pick being used on a QB while Rodgers is playing for the Jets.***

if a  TOP/TALENTED/HIGHLY RATED  QB    is   available/still on the board    when our turn to pick  arrives  JD WILL PICK HIM  ?

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

They're risking having the season go from SB contender to garbage in the blink of an eye.

Not having  a guy who can even manage a game for 2 quarters to hold a lead if needed is beyond wreckless.

It's the most half-assed "all in" offseason I've ever seen up to this point 

They were 6-2 with Wilson when the line and backfield were healthy and we were playing the power running game.  Wilson can hold the fort if Rodgers goes down short term, but if 8 goes down for the season we aren't winning sh*t anyway.  

• Sympathy 1