Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

4 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

1) The Jets almost drafted Gibbs not Robinson. Keep up with the basics.
2) Izzy is not a Breece mini me. Have you even see him play? Do you know anything about the kid? Do you know what his strengths are? His many weaknesses? Are you aware why he was drafted so late? Didn’t think so. 

This is such a dumb argument. I’m out. Ignorance here is rampant. 

The Jets eying Gibbs is a rumor put out there by the Lions who were trying to justify why they took a RB early in the first round who was projected to go late 1st early 2nd.  

As for Abanikanda, it's hard to judge how a college player translates to the NFL.  There have been backs who  never caught the ball in college who became prolific receiving backs in the NFL and backs that caught a bunch of passes in college that can't do it in the NFL. The college and pro offenses are so different that you just can't tell.  But I'll take a talented 21-22 running back over a talented 28 year old back. Every. Single. Time. 

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Cook is declining by virtually every metric - yards per carry, yards per game, broken tackles, yards after the catch, catch percentage....

He's clearly on the way down.  

And he's been replaced on the Vikings already, by his back up - Alexander Mattison. He's 25 years old and makes a lot less money.  Whenever Mattison has played for an oft-injured Cook, the Vikings running game has not missed a beat. Funny how that works.

My stance here is Cook has a YPC career average of 4.7 yards per carry are you really going to say he's declining because last year he was at 4.5 which is still a damn good average for an NFL RB ? Broken Tackles ? YAC ? the numbers should not be described as declining since they are so minute and do vary from year to year. So is it declining or is it pretty much on average with what he's always done ? In other words if Cook runs for a 4.8 YPC and some of the other stats creep up by small percentages do we then say Cooks numbers are on the rise ? Or do we say other than small variables from year to year this is pretty much what Cook has always been ?

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Its pretty common for players and organizations to have some type of conversations/negotiations in a case like this. 

Rosenblatt ? lol who the hell cares..... the numbers are obvious, Dalvin Cook's numbers have never diminished they are quite consistent throughout his entire career. So just because Rosenblatt said so Slats is hook line and sinker .

not sure how anyone can looks at cook's stats over the last 3 years and not see a decline in productivity.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookDa01.htm

2020 - 5.0  yards per carry

2021 - 4.7 yards per carry

2022 - 4.4 yards per carry

2020 - 2.4 yards after contact per carry

2021 - 1.9 YAC/carry

2022 - 1.8 YAC/carry

2020 - 9.5 rushing attempts per broken tackle (i.e he broke a tackle once every 9.5 attempts)

2021 - 15.6 rushing attempts per broken tackle

2022 - 22.0 rushing attempts per broken tackle

so to summarize, over the last 3 years, his rushing average has decreased ~6% in each year, his yards after contact has declined (his yards before contact remained basically flat), and his ability to break tackles has gone down significantly.  and if you look at his receiving stats, his average yards per reception has gone down despite his average depth of target going up and he's dropping more balls.

so yeah, i think one can say there has been a drop in his production over the last 3 years.

the numbers are indeed obvious

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

not sure how anyone can looks at cook's stats over the last 3 years and not see a decline in productivity.

2021 - 1.9 YAC/carry

2022 - 1.8 YAC/carry

2020 - 9.5 rushing attempts per broken tackle (i.e he broke a tackle once every 9.5 attempts)

so to summarize, over the last 3 years, his rushing average has decreased ~6% in each year, his yards after contact has declined (his yards before contact remained basically flat), and his ability to break tackles has gone down significantly.  and if you look at his receiving stats, his average yards per reception has gone down despite his average depth of target going up and he's dropping more balls.

so yeah, i think one can say there has been a drop in his production over the last 3 years.

Theres a reason he is unemployed.

15 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

2021 - 1.9 YAC/carry

2022 - 1.8 YAC/carry

He can be on the decline AND be a good option for us. They're not mutually exclusive.

Was Derrick Henry no good last year? He averaged 4.4.

Saquon Barkley last year garbage? He averaged 4.4.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

2021 - 1.9 YAC/carry

2022 - 1.8 YAC/carry

the only glaring number I see there  is the Broken tackle numbers

You're forgetting that early in Cook's career his average YPC was in the mid 4's as well so using the 5.0 which was his best year to say he's declining is a bit much since his career average YPC is 4.7 and the 4.4 he had this year is still a very good number.

Other factors are how players are defended . Do advanced stats take into account how defenses are defending said player ?

Biggest factor is he's 29 and by all means is on the tail end of his career. Like I said I don't want Cook unless its on the cheap.  Watched him run last year and he's still  running hard he could very well get a one year deal somewhere and just tear it up for all we know.                         

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The part that gets ignored in this, is that a declining Cook is still better than a 3rd year Carter and 2nd year Knight. And I find it hard to believe that Izzy is our #2 RB (I actually think Izzy is our 2nd best RB on the roster, but doubt he gets #2 RB touches), so not going to assume he's about the get the role as "starter" if Hall can't roll the start the season.

I for one want Cook, but at the right price. I won't deny that he's declining. But when you're a RB in 2020 had 1,920yds and 17tds... there's really nowhere to go but down.

your analysis in the first paragraph ignores cost.

he's not worth 10mm or whatever he's asking for.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He can be on the decline AND be a good option for us. They're not mutually exclusive.

Was Derrick Henry no good last year? He averaged 4.4.

Saquon Barkley last year garbage? He averaged 4.4.

i don't disagree.  i'm not against signing him, so long as it isn't for big guaranteed money/years.  but i doubt he's looking for a low-base contract at this juncture, at least based on his reported asking price a little while ago.  for him, it probably makes sense to wait and see if some team has a more dire need based on training camp/pre-season injury.

if the jets do sign him, i just wouldn't expect peak dalvin cook.  he's a declining player reaching the age where most RBs fall off a cliff rapidly.  derrick henry is the rare exception of a back lasting until his late 20's, and he's breaking down

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Dalvin Cook is still a contributing football player — question is whether his expected production is worth his price demands 

Answer:  No.

Give me one of these likely available alternative options (after roster cutdowns) for much cheaper and call it a day:

• Eno Benjamin (NO)
  • Tyrion Davis-Price (SF)
  • Latavius Murray (BUF)
  • Trayveon Williams (CIN)
  • Justice Hill (BAL)
  • Zamir White (LV)
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC)
  • Craig Reynolds (DET)
  • Caleb Huntley (ATL)
  • JaMycal Hasty/D'Ernest Johnson (JAX)
  • Mike Boone/Dare Ogunbowale (HOU)
  • Kevin Harris/JJ Taylor (NE)
  • Salvon Ahmed/Myles Gaskin (MIA)
  • Jonathan Williams/Jaret Patterson (WSH)
  • Ronald Jones (DAL)
  • DeeJay Dallas (SEA)
  • Boston Scott/Trey Sermon (PHI)

17 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

18 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I literally say in that... BUT AT THE RIGHT PRICE!!!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Give me one of these likely available alternative options (after roster cutdowns) for much cheaper and call it a day:

• Eno Benjamin (NO)
  • Latavius Murray (BUF)
  • Justice Hill (BAL)
  • Zamir White (LV)
  • Craig Reynolds (DET)
  • Caleb Huntley (ATL)
  • Ronald Jones (DAL)
  • DeeJay Dallas (SEA)

which guy on this list would give you half the production that dalvin cook would giv eyou? I mean i think pretty every person on this list is not better that Bam or carter really. Not ieven in same conversation as dalvin cook. What the hell are you smoking.. Eno Benjamin, LM? Justice freaking hill.l jesus ******* crhist. 

Thank god our GM is not you. Holy sh*t why dont we get zack wilson back under center and call it a day. fuc christ this is crazy. Please for the love of god please tell me you do not seriously think any single one of these names is worth a roster spot let along giving said roster spot to over dalvin cook.

Dalvin can not be his prime time self - and still be much greateer than these guys. You could add all these guys up and still not get one damn D cook play. Holdy crap I cant get over the stupid in this comment.

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

which guy on this list would give you half the production that dalvin cook would giv eyou? I mean i think pretty every person on this list is not better that Bam or carter really. Not ieven in same conversation as dalvin cook. What the hell are you smoking.. Eno Benjamin, LM? Justice freaking hill.l jesus ******* crhist. 

Thank god our GM is not you. Holy sh*t why dont we get zack wilson back under center and call it a day. fuc christ this is crazy. Please for the love of god please tell me you do not seriously think any single one of these names is worth a roster spot let along giving said roster spot to over dalvin cook.

Dalvin can not be his prime time self - and still be much greateer than these guys. You could add all these guys up and still not get one damn D cook play. Holdy crap I cant get over the stupid in this comment.

Angry much?  

I’m not looking for star power, dude.  I’m looking for an early down committee member since Carter is a 3rd Down back and Bam is meh.  Someone to split the load with those guys + the rookie until Breece returns, and perhaps someone who can contribute on STs a bit.  

Spending $6M+ on a mostly washed and essentially a partial year rental like Dalvin would an awful use of resources when we already need to shift ~ $25-30M from the 2024 cap onto 2023 to make room for Rodgers.

Eno, TDP, Latavius, etc anould be just fine.  And this isn’t friggin Madden.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

i don't disagree.  i'm not against signing him, so long as it isn't for big guaranteed money/years.  but i doubt he's looking for a low-base contract at this juncture, at least based on his reported asking price a little while ago.  for him, it probably makes sense to wait and see if some team has a more dire need based on training camp/pre-season injury.

if the jets do sign him, i just wouldn't expect peak dalvin cook.  he's a declining player reaching the age where most RBs fall off a cliff rapidly.  derrick henry is the rare exception of a back lasting until his late 20's, and he's breaking down

I can only speak for myself. I don’t think we’d be getting the 2020 Cook. Hence why he won’t cost a ton if I had to guess. He has winning will be a factor for him. So for me anything under 5mill I’m in on him. Ideally for me we offer him 1yr 4mill.

I'm excited to see what Abanikanda can do as his pro day 40 time was blazing fast ranging from 4.26- 4.32  and his vertical jump of 41 inches would have been tops at the combine for RB's. Also did a 10' 8" broad jump which is elite.  Hence one of the reasons JD is not feeling pressure to have to sign Cook...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• Eno Benjamin (NO)
  • Latavius Murray (BUF)
  • Justice Hill (BAL)
  • Zamir White (LV)
  • Craig Reynolds (DET)
  • Caleb Huntley (ATL)
  • Ronald Jones (DAL)
  • DeeJay Dallas (SEA)

I’ve heard he wants $10 million — if that is true, I agree.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Angry much?  

I’m not looking for star power, dude.  I’m looking for an early down committee member since Carter is a 3rd Down back and Bam is meh.  Someone to split the load with those guys + the rookie until Breece returns, and perhaps someone who can contribute on STs a bit.  

Spending $6M+ on a mostly washed and essentially a partial year rental like Dalvin would an awful use of resources when we already need to shift ~ $25-30M from the 2024 cap onto 2023 to make room for Rodgers.

Eno, TDP, Latavius, etc anould be just fine.  And this isn’t friggin Madden.  

AFFHGHKDHSGGHSIOGHOSNVSKDNSAO.

yes. 

Bam played better than all the guys mentioned. Carter played meh. And Cook woudl be much better than all teh guys listed including better than the ones on our own team currently. THe guys you want to bring in do nothing better than what we got, and what we got sure can maybe work for a game or two but will not be consistent the way dalvin can be. 

thats it end of story. 

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yes. 

Bam played better than all the guys mentioned. Carter played meh. And Cook woudl be much better than all teh guys listed including better than the ones on our own team currently. THe guys you want to bring in do nothing better than what we got, and what we got sure can maybe work for a game or two but will not be consistent the way dalvin can be. 

thats it end of story. 

I didn't even argue they're better than Bam dude, lol.  

Cook sucks for what it would cost.  Hard pass until he comes down on his price significantly.  

And he isn't "consistent".  Far from it.  He had a few chunk plays last year, which is nice, but he also was about 3 yards and a cloud of dust on the overwhelming majority of his carries.  How is that worth ~ $5-6M more than what Bam brings to the table?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yes. 

thats it end of story. 

It's not the end of the story, it's part of the story. I almost always roll my eyes when "but the cap!" is thrown around here, and yes, I'd rather them overpay for Cook than do nothing in a SB-or-bust year, but I'd much prefer that money go toward a Q extension, front-load a little more of Rodgers' contact to give some relief for 2024, bring in another WR, or even a veteran QB2.

So yeah, I'd prefer Cook to a cap underspend, but there are so, so, so many things I'd prefer the Jets to do with that money.

But yeah, if he'd take $3M, sign him up.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

I'm excited to see what Abanikanda can do as his pro day 40 time was blazing fast ranging from 4.26- 4.32  and his vertical jump of 41 inches would have been tops at the combine for RB's. Also did a 10' 8" broad jump which is elite.  Hence one of the reasons JD is not feeling pressure to have to sign Cook...

Absolutely an Izzy fan. But like let’s say Ruckert… his snaps are likely going to be very limited.

I think what we all have to remember is that we’re a win now team, so our mindset is changed. It’s not play young guys and see what they have. We legit can win every game. So Izzy getting 10 touches bc he’s the future with Hall isn’t a priority. It’s give those 10 touches to whoever helps you win that game that day. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely an Izzy fan. But like let’s say Ruckert… his snaps are likely going to be very limited.

I think what we all have to remember is that we’re a win now team, so our mindset is changed. It’s not play young guys and see what they have. We legit can win every game. So Izzy getting 10 touches bc he’s the future with Hall isn’t a priority. It’s give those 10 touches to whoever helps you win that game that day. 

RB is by far the easiest transition to the NFL. It's also the position most quickly effected by age. You want young men at RB with explosive burst and high end speed. You don't want guys with deteriorating skills at the tail end of their career.

If Izzy is getting carries it isn't because he's the future. It's because we want to give it to a young buck who is explosive and can take it to the house on any snap.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

My stance here is Cook has a YPC career average of 4.7 yards per carry are you really going to say he's declining because last year he was at 4.5 which is still a damn good average for an NFL RB ? Broken Tackles ? YAC ? the numbers should not be described as declining since they are so minute and do vary from year to year. So is it declining or is it pretty much on average with what he's always done ? In other words if Cook runs for a 4.8 YPC and some of the other stats creep up by small percentages do we then say Cooks numbers are on the rise ? Or do we say other than small variables from year to year this is pretty much what Cook has always been ?

He’s a running back with a ton of mileage who wants a 3 year deal at north of $10 mil per.  Forget Cook 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He’s a running back with a ton of mileage who wants a 3 year deal at north of $10 mil per.  Forget Cook 

Declining RBs are good options for fantasy football as players tend to undervalue them and you can grab them very late in drafts. They are not good choices in FA for actual football teams if they still want elite RB pay.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Declining RBs are good options for fantasy football as players tend to undervalue them and you can grab them very late in drafts. They are not good choices in FA for actual football teams if they still want elite RB pay.

We need an upgrade at backup qb way more than an expensive part-time rb

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Wait til halfway through the season and jets fans realize Rodgers has a 40 year old body

You're my spirit animal. It's fascinating that JD has (correctly) realized that he's not getting a fat contract extension rolling with Zach but that he seems willing for Zach to be one concussion away from the field....

Teddy Bridgewater Dancing GIF by Minnesota Vikings

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

1. He does not have a ton Of mileage

2. he's 27 years old

3. At this stage he knows he not getting 3 at 10

A ton of Mileage is when your over 300 rushes per year and he's not even close to that

Like I said Cook only makes sense for us on the cheap

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

1. He does not have a ton Of mileage

2. he's 27 years old

3. At this stage he knows he not getting 3 at 10

A ton of Mileage is when your over 300 rushes per year and he's not even close to that

Like I said Cook only makes sense for us on the cheap

1. 1208 carries last 5 years.  Only had 74 in 2017 due to a torn ACL

2. 27 is old for a nfl running back

3. At $10-12 mil per season that’s a very expensive 2 down back

• Thumb Down 1