Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

4 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Have to think that last year's James Robinson signing which was viewed as a best available and smart, hopeful RB fix in replacing Breece but which wound up being a big mistake is causing JD to pump the brakes and review this heavily. 

We’ve also seen JD be extremely patient in his negotiations.  He’s in no rush to get a RB at the right price point, probably for all of the reasons outlined in this thread.

Cook is a valuable asset, on the decline, probably wanting more money than he’s worth right before the NFL free agent Black Friday. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

No offense, Buddy, but that’s completely absurd. They have a Dalvin Cook in his prime, and instead of even asking him for a pay cut, they just cut him outright because everyone hates RBs? 

No, that’s not what happened. Cook is in decline, and his miscues catching, fumbling, or in blocking assignments are the very opposite of what make a “veteran” back useful. They made the determination that he’s not worth a roster spot at this point in his career, despite not having any clear cut replacement. That should really tell us a lot. This is a team that was 13-4 last year. 

No Offense Slats but if you think there were no discussions between Cook and the Vike's then that's what's absurd. Its a known fact around the league that RB's are no longer getting paid top dollar and that's been going on for quite some time . Cook was due 14 mil and if cut had a cap savings of 9 million none of his numbers have gone down like you claim, sure he may have the wear and tear of a RB which could be factoring in here but its part of the position so if they feel they can better spend that money then that's the decision they made. To claim they did not talk or negotiate is some real crap you're spewing here.

Also no one is putting forth an offer because Cooks himself if probably asking for money no one is going to give him . Its hard for a RB to play on a prove it deal because that just brings on more wear and tear and will further hurt his bargaining power and of course Cooks and his agent know this and probably are looking for one more multi year deal (2 or 3 at best) and are testing the waters which is also hurting his situation. Fact is the only real assumption you make here is that he's declining but the numbers do not show that at all and without knowing his current medical condition or wear and tear you can't make that assumption reliably either.

38 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Is Cook a good pass blocker?

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Addressed in this thread, no. 

ECURB Slats is an avid Vikings fan so he knows Cooks and how he's used in that offense :rolleyes:. What he fails to tell you is that a RB is NOT a sustainable blocker. They are supposed to pick up blitzers and get the QB at most a second or 2 which is very valuable in the passing game. That being Said Kirk Cousins held the ball in the pocket with little mobility the second longest of any QB in the NFL the word is that Cooks is a willing blocker and would probably function better protecting or buying a QB time in an offense where the QB  gets the ball out quick just like any other RB in the NFL. Sure there are some exceptional RB's who block very well and maybe Cooks is not one of them but circumstance shows he's also not in a good position with the issues I just laid out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

We’ve also seen JD be extremely patient in his negotiations.  He’s in no rush to get a RB at the right price point, probably for all of the reasons outlined in this thread.

Cook is a valuable asset, on the decline, probably wanting more money than he’s worth right before the NFL free agent Black Friday. 

Yes.  If he wants the player, Douglas usually has them in and makes an offer and then sits.  There were rumors that he did it with a bunch of guys.  Morgan Moses, Kwon Alexander, Ogunjobi, Linval Joseph and Riley Reiff.  Some came, some went elsewhere.  I think they were going to make the same kind of offer to Duane Brown, but Becton's knee exploded while he was in the building and they had to get it done ASAP.  I have not heard that Cook has come in.  I would assume they would have him in and make an offer, but his people may not want to bother if they are miles apart.  They were having OBJ in and Baltimore went berserk and paid through the nose.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t know how much better, but that gap isn’t worth much more than the league minimum-like deals older RBs typically receive, if that. The benefits that veteran backs are supposed to bring -expert pass pro, ball security- just aren’t there with this player. He’s a name at this point. I’m just not interested. 

I also don’t buy into the MC1 hate. The OL was a mess last year, and once he sprained his ankle in Chicago he never seemed to get that step back. The backend of the season was a team wide train wreck. He’ll enter this season healthy, and part of a solid committee. He looked promising as a rookie. He’ll get every opportunity to show which MC1 is the real one in camp. I also see no reason why Abanikanda can’t rise to the top. Happens all the time at the RB position. 

If they feel like they need to add a back, there will be a number of them to choose from after camp cut downs. No reason to lock into a declining back now who could very well be entering the last season of his career. Dating back to college, he doesn’t have much tread left at all. 

I agree. Hence, my concern if they act now vs later, it means that they know something we don't. Breece is behind schedule. Otherwise, Cook now makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t know how much better, but that gap isn’t worth much more than the league minimum-like deals older RBs typically receive, if that. The benefits that veteran backs are supposed to bring -expert pass pro, ball security- just aren’t there with this player. He’s a name at this point. I’m just not interested. 

I also don’t buy into the MC1 hate. The OL was a mess last year, and once he sprained his ankle in Chicago he never seemed to get that step back. The backend of the season was a team wide train wreck. He’ll enter this season healthy, and part of a solid committee. He looked promising as a rookie. He’ll get every opportunity to show which MC1 is the real one in camp. I also see no reason why Abanikanda can’t rise to the top. Happens all the time at the RB position. 

If they feel like they need to add a back, there will be a number of them to choose from after camp cut downs. No reason to lock into a declining back now who could very well be entering the last season of his career. Dating back to college, he doesn’t have much tread left at all. 

This is all fair I think. I like knight and the rook. Maybe Carter is ok but last year he was not. Hate for that to happen this year. I think cool makes sense 

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Cool might want to win and pick the jets. Did I just say that

Funny to read that statement and have it be true. I am hoping for one or two signings like that in camp. Would be pretty sweet!

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

No Offense Slats but if you think there were no discussions between Cook and the Vike's then that's what's absurd.

Uh, you said that. 

12 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The Vikes didn't keep him because he counted 14 mil toward the cap since everyone is on a hate the RB kick they simply cut him to avoid that hit.

Unless you now have some contradictory evidence that they had salary cut negotiations? 

This is from Rosenblatt at The Athletic regarding Cook’s decline: 

Con: The decline is real

Not to contradict the first point about his production in 2022, but there is evidence Cook is heading in the wrong direction.

First, Cook accomplished what he did in 2022 behind the third-best run-blocking offensive line in the league, per PFF, and the 10th-best passing attack. In 2021, the Vikings were 16th and fourth in those categories, respectively.

In the last two years combined, per TruMedia, Cook ranks 46th (of 57) in successful play rate on rushes and 51st on third-down conversion rate on rushes, among running backs with at least 150 carries. Per Michael Nania, Cook leads all running backs in combined drops, fumbles and allowed pressures since 2019 with 61. Cook lost four fumbles last year, tied for the most among all running backs with Alvin Kamara.

Last year, Cook had the third-highest percentage (23.5) of rushes for zero or negative yards among running backs with at least 100 carries, per TruMedia. Former Jet James Robinson had the worst percentage. Cook also was 38th (of 42) in first-down rate — Carter was 42nd. He’s still capable of making things happen when a play breaks down, but maybe not at the level he used to.

*note: Carter and Robinson were clearly NOT running behind the league’s third best rushing OL, nor did they enjoy a top ten passing attack. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Uh, you said that. 

Unless you now have some contradictory evidence that they had salary cut negotiations? 

Its pretty common for players and organizations to have some type of conversations/negotiations in a case like this. 

Rosenblatt ? lol who the hell cares..... the numbers are obvious, Dalvin Cook's numbers have never diminished they are quite consistent throughout his entire career. So just because Rosenblatt said so Slats is hook line and sinker .

as to your "Uh , you said that" comment quoted above What I said was the Vike's cut him to save towards the cap that's pretty obvious that in no way implies they did not negotiate with him first so stop spinning that crap like that's what I meant . You gloss over every point made as to the status of Cook because you simply have no comeback when actual facts are used to describe the player and his so called short comings in one case blocking for the QB and in the other case his numbers which are dead on consistent. Cause, you know ..... Rosenblatt !!

Bottom line if we get Cook on the cheap go for it if he wants some ridiculous contract / multi year deal  its simple move on and let him learn the hard way just like other RB's have in the last 10 or so years.

• Haha 2

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Its pretty common for players and organizations to have some type of conversations/negotiations in a case like this. 

Rosenblatt ? lol who the hell cares..... the numbers are obvious, Dalvin Cooks numbers have never diminished they are quite consistent throughout his entire career. So just because Rosenblatt said so Slats is hook line and sinker .

as to your "Uh , you said that" comment quoted above What I said was the Vike's cut him to save towards the cap that's pretty obvious that in no way implies they did not negotiate with him first so stop spinning that crap like that's what I meant . You gloss over every point made as to the status of Cook because you simply have no comeback when actual facts are used to describe the player and his so called short comings in one case blocking for the QB and in the other case his numbers which are dead on consistent. Cause you know Rosenblatt !!

Bottom line if we get Cook on the cheap go for it if he wants some ridiculous contract / multi year deal  its simple move on and let him learn the hard way just like other RB's have in the last 10 or so years.

Rosenblatt cited four or five different sources, I imagine you read a single stat line. Have you ever looked at advanced stats? Taken context into play? I used that article because it summed up his multiple issues rather succinctly. Unlike your posts, which tend to use a lot of words to say very little. 

I’ve always gotten a kick out of you, but few folks here have a screen name that better suits their posting style, lol. 

35 minutes ago, slats said:

Rosenblatt cited four or five different sources, I imagine you read a single stat line. Have you ever looked at advanced stats? Taken context into play? I used that article because it summed up his multiple issues rather succinctly. Unlike your posts, which tend to use a lot of words to say very little. 

I’ve always gotten a kick out of you, but few folks here have a screen name that better suits their posting style, lol. 

So no comment on the fact Kirk Cousins holds the ball longer than just about every QB in the NFL . While your citing Dalvin Cook is a bad blocker based on one single stat ??? What happened to advanced stats ? You use things for your convenience in an argument cant have it both ways. FWIW I didn't read a "single" stat line I went about discrediting your comment about Cook's blocking in a 100 % logical way. QB's who hold the ball way way too long like Cousins cause blocking breakdowns. In todays NFL you can only sustain blocks vs elite athletes for so long, so expecting a RB or even in a lot of cases a TE to sustain blocks vs elite pass rushers and Blitzer's is showing a real lack of knowledge of the game. 

All you are doing here is quoting other people with no actual examples and zero debate at all on the points I have made and its obvious because you have no come backs other than to subtly insult which is not a good look .

Its pretty obvious Dalvin Cook's YPC has always been consistent in the 4.5 to 4.8 range with one year at 5.0 last year 4.5  but you know once again we are talking advanced stats ?? What advanced stats would those be ? What better stat than YPC is there to Judge a RB actually running the football ?? Something advanced means it must be a defining of the player ?  Advanced stats work with QB's because so much is actually going on when QB's play bad but not so much with RB's . John Riggins would have never played in the SB if it were for your beloved Advanced stats and he did that at 34 years old . 

Insulting and laughing at other peoples posts does not strengthen your argument you would have been better off going with your usual crap that RB's are a waste of an early pick and the rest of the things you post about the position.  

• Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, jgb said:

Dalvin Cook is still a contributing football player — question is whether his expected production is worth his price demands 

exactly and in our case theirs 2 parts to this story. One is will Breece be ready and be the Breece was saw last year and two do we want to solidify ourselves at the position in case we do have a rash of injuries like we did last year . Once again if we get him on the cheap I say go for it if he wants 10 mil it matters not what any of us think cause JD is not paying out that kind of money to Cook

32 minutes ago, rangerous said:

IMO carter and knight can fill the role until hall returns to form.  Both of those guys suffered because milfy’s offense was a complete mess and the oline had too many injuries to overcome.  This season promises to be much better for everyone.

Carter is a good pass catcher and a bad RB Bam can do both well IMO and Israel is just plain explosive so Carter is on the bubble if you ask me

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

So no comment on the fact Kirk Cousins holds the ball longer than just about every QB in the NFL . While your citing Dalvin Cook is a bad blocker based on one single stat ??? What happened to advanced stats ? You use things for your convenience in an argument cant have it both ways. FWIW I didn't read a "single" stat line I went about discrediting your comment about Cook's blocking in a 100 % logical way. QB's who hold the ball way way too long like Cousins cause blocking breakdowns. In todays NFL you can only sustain blocks vs elite athletes for so long, so expecting a RB or even in a lot of cases a TE to sustain blocks vs elite pass rushers and Blitzer's is showing a real lack of knowledge of the game. 

All you are doing here is quoting other people with no actual examples and zero debate at all on the points I have made and its obvious because you have no come backs other than to subtly insult which is not a good look .

Its pretty obvious Dalvin Cook's YPC has always been consistent in the 4.5 to 4.8 range with one year at 5.0 last year 4.5  but you know once again we are talking advanced stats ?? What advanced stats would those be ? What better stat than YPC is there to Judge a RB actually running the football ?? Something advanced means it must be a defining of the player ?  Advanced stats work with QB's because so much is actually going on when QB's play bad but not so much with RB's . John Riggins would have never played in the SB if it were for your beloved Advanced stats and he did that at 34 years old . 

Insulting and laughing at other peoples posts does not strengthen your argument you would have been better off going with your usual crap that RB's are a waste of an early pick and the rest of the things you post about the position.  

Well said. Agree totally. Pass blocking is not a stat you use to sign a 4 time pro bowl running back anyways. That’s the offensive lines job. And most of the time, Cook will be one of the main targets. Dumb arguments by @slats and others, who actually think Michael Carter is good enough to bring us to a Super Bowl.

We didn’t almost draft a running back in the first round, because we were happy with our running back room. Cook would be a perfect addition (at a decent price) to hold the fort while Breece slowly recovers. If we are expecting Breece to pick up where he left off, we are sadly mistaken. It doesn’t happen. And our Aaron Rodgers window is now. 

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

exactly and in our case theirs 2 parts to this story. One is will Breece be ready and be the Breece was saw last year and two do we want to solidify ourselves at the position in case we do have a rash of injuries like we did last year . Once again if we get him on the cheap I say go for it if he wants 10 mil it matters not what any of us think cause JD is not paying out that kind of money to Cook

We live in a time of polarization, likely because opinions generally moderate when discussing face to face with others (the desire to be likable and liked) but those forces are much less influential online.

So if a guy has lost a step he’s “totally cooked” or “literally worthless.” A player is worth his expected production, no more and no less. Not elite (or no longer so) doesn’t move the needle immediately to zero value. Although I find it useful to play on this mis-belief in dynasty fantasy trades for guys who have lost a step. You get them at fire sale prices that make it likely they outperform the price paid.

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

So no comment on the fact Kirk Cousins holds the ball longer than just about every QB in the NFL . While your citing Dalvin Cook is a bad blocker based on one single stat ??? What happened to advanced stats ? You use things for your convenience in an argument cant have it both ways. FWIW I didn't read a "single" stat line I went about discrediting your comment about Cook's blocking in a 100 % logical way. QB's who hold the ball way way too long like Cousins cause blocking breakdowns.

Generally, advanced stats take into account these types of differences between teams. That’s the primary reason they’re called “advanced.” They try to create a mathematically level playing field. I’m not going to research into how these particular numbers were compiled, if you wish to dispute them, you should have a look. 

While you’re at it, you can explain his high % of runs of 0 or fewer yards on a team with a top three rushing OL, and his fumble and pass drop rate. That’ll be great. 

9 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

We didn’t almost draft a running back in the first round, because we were happy with our running back room.

They didn’t “almost draft” Bijon Robinson just to add to RB room, it would’ve been to add an overall playmaker. He’s likely to see playing time at WR as a rookie due to his exceptional route running abilities as a college RB - which is almost unheard of. They did potentially draft a Breece Mini-me in Abanikanda, though, who I’ll be rooting like hell for to move up the depth chart should Breece need some time to break himself back in. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Generally, advanced stats take into account these types of differences between teams. That’s the primary reason they’re called “advanced.” They try to create a mathematically level playing field. I’m not going to research into how these particular numbers were compiled, if you wish to dispute them, you should have a look. 

While you’re at it, you can explain his high % of runs of 0 or fewer yards on a team with a top three rushing OL, and his fumble and pass drop rate. That’ll be great. 

you know who led all RB's in NFL history with the most carries for negative yards ? He must have been a pretty crappy back ...right ? Oh wait in this case it becomes the Offensive lines fault .... Everyone has their own narrative as to why their opinion is right and that plays into a lot of advanced stats. 

While I think that's a good stat to go by, its hardly advanced, its been used for quite a long time in the NFL while advanced stats has not been around that long ... a bunch of nerds thinking they understand the game of football or the team concept. 

I'm not a big fan of most advanced stats or analytics because of the team atmosphere which is more an issue in the NFL than any other sport. 

Just look at what analytics is doing to the game of baseball .... its absolutely destroying it.

Barry Sanders holds the NFL record for the most carries for negative yardage. He lost 1,114 yards through the course of his career.  

Advanced

5 minutes ago, slats said:

They didn’t “almost draft” Bijon Robinson just to add to RB room, it would’ve been to add an overall playmaker. He’s likely to see playing time at WR as a rookie due to his exceptional route running abilities as a college RB - which is almost unheard of. They did potentially draft a Breece Mini-me in Abanikanda, though, who I’ll be rooting like hell for to move up the depth chart should Breece need some time to break himself back in. 

This is exactly what Im looking for as well Abanikanda is explosive and his running style is 100 % exactly like Eric Dickerson 4.26 is a cray fast 40 time and this kid plays really fast

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not a big fan of most advanced stats or analytics because of the team atmosphere which is more an issue in the NFL than any other sport. 

Just look at what analytics is doing to the game of baseball .... it’s absolutely destroying it.

In general, if people don’t understand something, they prefer to criticize it. Football is, indeed, a far more complex sport than baseball, and analytics are used in a different way. In football, with its dizzying number of variables, it’s a tool designed to give a balanced comparison. To maybe compare a RB with the #3 OL in the league and a viable passing game, to one with a horrible OL and the worst passing game in the league, perhaps. In baseball, the head of the analytics team might as well be the manager nowadays. Made a dull game even duller, but I kinda liked the movie. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I thought it was Jahmyr Gibbs? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

In general, if people don’t understand something, they prefer to criticize it. Football is, indeed, a far more complex sport than baseball, and analytics are used in a different way. In football, with its dizzying number of variables, it’s a tool designed to give a balanced comparison. To maybe compare a RB with the #3 OL in the league and a viable passing game, to one with a horrible OL and the worst passing game in the league, perhaps. In baseball, the head of the analytics team might as well be the manager nowadays. Made a dull game even duller, but I kinda liked the movie. 

Its not hard to understand what they are doing when they use advanced stats but in a lot of cases they don't take into account what a player has to do or is expected to do based on the play called and the philosophy of the coach. Rex Ryan explained this when people were getting on Bart Scott with the advanced stats and he explained Bart was doing exactly what Bart was supposed to be doing at his position in a 3-4 defense so yes lost and lots of variables and the only opinion that really counts is the coach and the GM

13 minutes ago, slats said:

1) The Jets almost drafted Gibbs not Robinson. Keep up with the basics.
2) Izzy is not a Breece mini me. Have you even see him play? Do you know anything about the kid? Do you know what his strengths are? His many weaknesses? Are you aware why he was drafted so late? Didn’t think so. 

This is such a dumb argument. I’m out. Ignorance here is rampant. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

No Offense Slats but if you think there were no discussions between Cook and the Vike's then that's what's absurd. Its a known fact around the league that RB's are no longer getting paid top dollar and that's been going on for quite some time . Cook was due 14 mil and if cut had a cap savings of 9 million none of his numbers have gone down like you claim, sure he may have the wear and tear of a RB which could be factoring in here but its part of the position so if they feel they can better spend that money then that's the decision they made. To claim they did not talk or negotiate is some real crap you're spewing here.

Also no one is putting forth an offer because Cooks himself if probably asking for money no one is going to give him . Its hard for a RB to play on a prove it deal because that just brings on more wear and tear and will further hurt his bargaining power and of course Cooks and his agent know this and probably are looking for one more multi year deal (2 or 3 at best) and are testing the waters which is also hurting his situation. Fact is the only real assumption you make here is that he's declining but the numbers do not show that at all and without knowing his current medical condition or wear and tear you can't make that assumption reliably either.

ECURB Slats is an avid Vikings fan so he knows Cooks and how he's used in that offense :rolleyes:. What he fails to tell you is that a RB is NOT a sustainable blocker. They are supposed to pick up blitzers and get the QB at most a second or 2 which is very valuable in the passing game. That being Said Kirk Cousins held the ball in the pocket with little mobility the second longest of any QB in the NFL the word is that Cooks is a willing blocker and would probably function better protecting or buying a QB time in an offense where the QB  gets the ball out quick just like any other RB in the NFL. Sure there are some exceptional RB's who block very well and maybe Cooks is not one of them but circumstance shows he's also not in a good position with the issues I just laid out.

Cook is declining by virtually every metric - yards per carry, yards per game, broken tackles, yards after the catch, catch percentage....

He's clearly on the way down.  

And he's been replaced on the Vikings already, by his back up - Alexander Mattison. He's 25 years old and makes a lot less money.  Whenever Mattison has played for an oft-injured Cook, the Vikings running game has not missed a beat. Funny how that works.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Its not hard to understand what they are doing when they use advanced stats but in a lot of cases they don't take into account what a player has to do or is expected to do based on the play called and the philosophy of the coach. Rex Ryan explained this when people were getting on Bart Scott with the advanced stats and he explained Bart was doing exactly what Bart was supposed to be doing at his position in a 3-4 defense so yes lost and lots of variables and the only opinion that really counts is the coach and the GM

I think that it’s a lot harder to do for defense than offense, linemen vs. skill positions. I think a RBs assignments are pretty obvious, much more so than a MLB in the 3-4.