Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wasn't he also tight with Moore? Not exactly the best influence. Like with Moore after the Jets drafted Wilson, the Jets had just drafted  Hall to demote Carter on the pecking order. Carter always came across as optimistic & upbeat in interviews, but who knows behind the scenes.

As a rookie he was among the best in the league at breaking tackles. No he wasn't a speed demon for a smaller + lighter back, but if he got even the slightest bit of daylight he just wouldn't go down until 2+ guys hit him. Then in year 2 he looked like a different player, and not for the better.

Let's see how he responds first. I don't see the rush to sign someone like Cook before they see what they've got. If a team keeps pouring heavy resources into veterans, it's hard for recent picks to shine. Especially in an already-crowded RB room where - unlike WRs - only one is on the field at a time. Adding a 5th RB - for serious/must-start RB money - seems premature just yet. 

I could be wrong but I think I remember at some point in an interview somewhat defending Moore, basically saying there is more going on that he can talk about which I kind of took as beef w/ the coaching staff, so maybe that leans into Lil Mikey not being approachable and it was impacting him too.  Just a hunch.  But I agree, always comes across like one of the positive upbeat culture enhancers on the team.

The rest I agree w/ he did look different but every back struggled behind that line other then Hall, who I think just happened to hit his stride as the OL was as well prior to AVT going down and then onslaught of injuries from there but in general, I see no rush to add Cook or any RB for that matter. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

If wanting Dalvin Cook on the Jets is wrong. I don't want to be right. 

I think nearly all of us would take Dalvin Cook on the Jets.  What we disagree on is the appropriate price. 

If I'm GM I'm not willing to hand him much more than $4M on a 1-year deal.  I.E. basically what Jamaal Williams is getting paid by the Saints on a per-year basis.

I imagine you'd go higher.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think nearly all of us would take Dalvin Cook on the Jets.  What we disagree on is the appropriate price. 

If I'm GM I'm not willing to hand him much more than $4M on a 1-year deal.  I.E. basically what Jamaal Williams is getting paid by the Saints on a per-year basis.

I imagine you'd go higher.

Jamal Williams will be the lead back for New Orleans during the 4 or 6 week inevitable Kamara suspension.

Keep that in mind for FF, dude.  He's not explosive, but he'll give you what you need in fantasy this year.  Bank on it.

33 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Jamal Williams will be the lead back for New Orleans during the 4 or 6 week inevitable Kamara suspension.

Keep that in mind for FF, dude.  He's not explosive, but he'll give you what you need in fantasy this year.  Bank on it.

False.  Kendre Miller!

• Upvote 1

I had read in a few places that he might be using the Jets to get more out of Miami. This is sometimes painted as a negative on the Jets (or whatever team is being used as leverage). Why? In even the most basic of cases, forcing another team to spend more money than they had to on a player cannot hurt you, it could only potentially help you. Even better if it is a division rival. So why is there so often a negative stigma attached to being "used" to drive up a price for another team?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I had read in a few places that he might be using the Jets to get more out of Miami. This is sometimes painted as a negative on the Jets (or whatever team is being used as leverage). Why? In even the most basic of cases, forcing another team to spend more money than they had to on a player cannot hurt you, it could only potentially help you. Even better if it is a division rival. So why is there so often a negative stigma attached to being "used" to drive up a price for another team?

Using the Jets?  The Jets have no interest in Dalvin Cook.  Zero!

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Using the Jets?  The Jets have no interest in Dalvin Cook.  Zero!

Whether the Jets do or not, if the stories of the Jets being interested cost the Dolphins a million or two more, that would be beneficial to the Jets.

This isn't about whether the Jets get Cook or not. Or even if they want Cook. This is about the flawed narrative that it is a negative to be "used" by a player to raise the price that another team pays.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

7 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Whether the Jets do or not, if the stories of the Jets being interested cost the Dolphins a million or two more, that would be beneficial to the Jets.

This isn't about whether the Jets get Cook or not. Or even if they want Cook. This is about the flawed narrative that it is a negative to be "used" by a player to raise the price that another team pays.

Especially since its a division rival.  If teams avoid doing this supposedly "bush league" practice so that they avoid burning bridges with potential trade partners down the line, I suppose that could make a little sense. 

But a divisional team you'll rarely, if ever, do business with?  F**k em.  Drive up the price.

• Upvote 1

From JetsWire

The latest odds from DraftKings shows the Jets at +400 to sign free-agent running back Dalvin Cook. As strong as that number is, there are still two teams ahead of them and both are division rivals.

In a bit of a surprising twist, the Patriots are now the betting favorites at +150 to sign Cook. Perhaps then missing out on DeAndre Hopkins, who signed with the Titans, helped boost that number. After that, it’s the Dolphins at +200.

Anyone taking those +400 odds?

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

From JetsWire

The latest odds from DraftKings shows the Jets at +400 to sign free-agent running back Dalvin Cook. As strong as that number is, there are still two teams ahead of them and both are division rivals.

In a bit of a surprising twist, the Patriots are now the betting favorites at +150 to sign Cook. Perhaps then missing out on DeAndre Hopkins, who signed with the Titans, helped boost that number. After that, it’s the Dolphins at +200.

Anyone taking those +400 odds?

The Patriots? I thought he was saying he wants to go someplace where he can win.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

for maltreatment of three pit bulls puppies, ages of eight months and two months. The dogs were chained up with heavy chains and no shelter. The chains were heavy enough that the dogs were unable to move, and the two month old puppies were choking. When asked for identification, Cook stated he did not have it, so the animal control officer on scene brought in a law enforcement officer to assist in identifying Cook.[101]

The summer before his sophomore year, Cook was accused of punching a woman outside of a Tallahassee bar after a confrontation and was charged with assault, to which he pled not guilty. A jury found Cook not guilty, and he was able to return to the football team.[102]

On November 9, 2021, Cook was accused of assault, battery, and false imprisonment to his former girlfriend causing a concussion in November 2020, an allegation which he denies.[103][104] He stated that "only the truth will come out", in response to those allegations.[103]

Multiple times beating women and crueity to animals.  Jets fans are sick for wanting this guy.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

for maltreatment of three pit bulls puppies, ages of eight months and two months. The dogs were chained up with heavy chains and no shelter. The chains were heavy enough that the dogs were unable to move, and the two month old puppies were choking. When asked for identification, Cook stated he did not have it, so the animal control officer on scene brought in a law enforcement officer to assist in identifying Cook.[101]

The summer before his sophomore year, Cook was accused of punching a woman outside of a Tallahassee bar after a confrontation and was charged with assault, to which he pled not guilty. A jury found Cook not guilty, and he was able to return to the football team.[102]

On November 9, 2021, Cook was accused of assault, battery, and false imprisonment to his former girlfriend causing a concussion in November 2020, an allegation which he denies.[103][104] He stated that "only the truth will come out", in response to those allegations.[103]

Multiple times beating women and crueity to animals.  Jets fans are sick for wanting this guy.

Woody better have his security team do their due diligence on this matter. Very serious... Not a player I'd want if all this is true.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Court filing: Ex-Viking Dalvin Cook offered ex-girlfriend $1 million to absolve him of wrongdoing
A sealed court filing says Cook wanted the woman to drop assault accusations in exchange for cash, but she declined
By Rochelle Olson Star Tribune

July 20, 2023 — 2:05pm

Former Minnesota Vikings star running back Dalvin Cook offered $1 million to a former girlfriend to clear him of wrongdoing despite her previously sworn abuse allegations against him, according to a document filed in Dakota County District Court.

The revelation came in a now-sealed filing by Gracelyn Trimble's attorney. The document was filed in opposition to Cook's request to bar testimony at trial of his cash settlement offers of $800,000 and then $1 million.

Cook's initial offer of $800,000 came with a requirement that Trimble sign a sworn affidavit denying abuse claims, the document said. But Trimble has already testified under oath that Cook physically abused her. The $1 million offer required Trimble to send a letter — not sworn testimony — to the NFL absolving Cook of wrongdoing.

Attorney Daniel Cragg wrote that Cook's initial cash offer was "not only evidence of a crime" but admissible at trial to show he tried to coax Trimble to perjure herself by changing her sworn testimony.

"This does not pass the smell test, and can and should be admissible as evidence of Cook's consciousness of guilt," Cragg's filing read. The Star Tribune obtained a copy of the document Thursday, hours before it was sealed by Dakota County Judge Jamie Cork.

Trimble's personal injury lawsuit against Cook is set for trial in front of Cork next year. A hearing on the recent filing is set for Monday. Lawyers for Cook and Trimble did not comment.

Cook, who was released by the Vikings in June after six seasons, remains a free agent. In November 2021, Trimble filed a lawsuit against Cook alleging physical and emotional abuse. He then filed a defamation lawsuit against her in Hennepin County. Both cases are pending.

In a deposition, Cook said he was aware his lawyers had initially offered Trimble $800,000 in May to provide a sworn affidavit exonerating him of wrongdoing, the filing said.

After Trimble's lawyer told Cook's counsel that she wouldn't sign a "fraudulent affidavit," his lawyers increased the offer a few hours later to $1 million. That higher offer required Trimble to sign a letter to the NFL "relieving Mr. Cook of a wrongdoing" in language to be negotiated. Trimble rejected the second offer as well.

Cragg's latest filing also describes Trimble's sworn allegations against Cook, saying that after he threw her over a couch and into a coffee table, her forehead and nose gushed blood. When she went upstairs to wash off the blood, Cook followed her, threw her down, pinned her, punched and choked her then grabbed his rifle, pointed it at her head and yelled death threats, the filing said.

At one point, he grabbed a broomstick and beat her before throwing her against a wall. When she fell to the ground, Cook continued to kick her in the hips and ribs before she got up and ran down the driveway in search of help, but he led her back to the house and took her phone, the filing said.

Police were not called to his Inver Grove Heights home in the incident on Nov. 19, 2021, when Trimble has said she flew to Minnesota to break up with Cook and get her things from his house.

According to her initial lawsuit, Cook and Trimble met on a Florida beach in 2018 and began an off-and-on, sometimes rocky relationship.

https://www.startribune.com/court-filing-dalvin-cook-offered-ex-girlfriend-1-million-to-write-nfl-absolving-him-of-wrongdoing/600291148/

• Upvote 2

Mike Florio

July 20, 2023 07:53 PM

Typically, settlement offers are never allowed to be introduced into evidence in a civl trial. That rule promotes the making of settlement offers in an attempt to resolve civil claims without consuming unnecessary judicial resources. If settlement offers could be used as evidence, no settlement offers would ever be made.

Regardless of whether the settlement offers are introduced during a trial in open court, the evidence of the settlement offers has made its way into the court of public opinion. The request for a letter to the NFL absolving Cook of wronging suggests that Cook is concerned about a punishment under the Personal Conduct Policy. Throughout his free agency, there has been chatter in league circles regarding hesitation arising from the possibility of a suspension.

Again, Cook has denied all wrongdoing. And Cook has taken action against those who have made accusations against him. The settlement offer, aimed at resolving all matters and allowing everyone to move on, should not have been disclosed to the public, and it would be surprising if the presiding judge allows it to be used against Cook at trial.

It’s too late to unring the bell, however. The story has made its way to the media, and teams that already were skittish about the issue won’t be any less skittish about it now.

That said, Cook’s lawyers will (or at least should) investigate how the document was unsealed before it was sealed, and how it ended up in the hands of the Star-Tribune. Cook’s lawsuit against Trimble and her lawyers arises from efforts to leverage him to settle by weaponizing the allegations in the media. Cook’s lawyers quite possibly will now contend that the settlement offer has been improperly used to smear Cook as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mike Florio

July 20, 2023 07:53 PM

Typically, settlement offers are never allowed to be introduced into evidence in a civl trial. That rule promotes the making of settlement offers in an attempt to resolve civil claims without consuming unnecessary judicial resources. If settlement offers could be used as evidence, no settlement offers would ever be made.

Regardless of whether the settlement offers are introduced during a trial in open court, the evidence of the settlement offers has made its way into the court of public opinion. The request for a letter to the NFL absolving Cook of wronging suggests that Cook is concerned about a punishment under the Personal Conduct Policy. Throughout his free agency, there has been chatter in league circles regarding hesitation arising from the possibility of a suspension.

Again, Cook has denied all wrongdoing. And Cook has taken action against those who have made accusations against him. The settlement offer, aimed at resolving all matters and allowing everyone to move on, should not have been disclosed to the public, and it would be surprising if the presiding judge allows it to be used against Cook at trial.

It’s too late to unring the bell, however. The story has made its way to the media, and teams that already were skittish about the issue won’t be any less skittish about it now.

That said, Cook’s lawyers will (or at least should) investigate how the document was unsealed before it was sealed, and how it ended up in the hands of the Star-Tribune. Cook’s lawsuit against Trimble and her lawyers arises from efforts to leverage him to settle by weaponizing the allegations in the media. Cook’s lawyers quite possibly will now contend that the settlement offer has been improperly used to smear Cook as well.

So basically the offers are real, but should not have been leaked. I really don’t care about the offers or the settlements, I care if he did commit the acts.  Apparently she’s a piece of work too, it seems she is a cop and there is body cam video of her threatening to shoot Cook. Just crazy situation all around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1