Pats up and coming star CB in serious trouble!

After looking at everything I’m going to guess the magazine size is probably what got him arrested.  Maybe the misdemeanor history.
He shouldn’t have those magazines out and about let alone in a gun there.  He shouldn’t forget them in a bag (I’m guessing this is what happened - but it’s really dumb) and he shouldn’t take them to the airport.
Lots of stupid stuff.  I still think prison is too much.  I won’t be surprised if there is a plea deal.
I'm not sure how well versed you are with the gun laws of the northeast, but you can't possess a handgun MA without a permit issued by MA. The same is true for NY, NJ, and CT. None of these states acknowledge a permit from any other state. My CT carry license means f*ck all in NY, MA and NJ.

Now possessing an unlicensed handgun in any of these states is a big deal. You are getting arrested and most of the time prosecuted for it. So that's was infraction #1 that got this chucklehead arrested. The rest was just icing on the cake.

If you want to walk into a gun store, pass a federal background check and walk out with a handgun that doesn't need a permit, MA, NY, CT, and NJ are not the places for you. You need a permit to posses one, end of story.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

I'm not sure how well versed you are with the gun laws of the northeast, but you can't possess a handgun MA without a permit issued by MA. The same is true for NY, NJ, and CT. None of these states acknowledge a permit from any other state. My CT carry license means f*ck all in NY, MA and NJ.

Now possessing an unlicensed handgun in any of these states is a big deal. You are getting arrested and most of the time prosecuted for it. So that's was infraction #1 that got this chucklehead arrested. The rest was just icing on the cake.

If you want to walk into a gun store, pass a federal background check and walk out with a handgun that doesn't need a permit, MA, NY, CT, and NJ are not the places for you. You need a permit to posses one, end of story.

I knew you guys had some rules on the books… But WOW!  You follow them too. I never considered that happening.  That’s great.  Score one for the rule of law. 

I will stay out of further discussions on the topic starting now.  There are cultural issues larger than I imagined at play and I’m just a squatter here lol. 

Looney Tunes Animation GIF

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

As compared to the hundreds of thousands of people in prison for drug use?  Or others there for petty crimes?   I would put those 6542 in prison in a heartbeat over many of the people in jail now.  I don't want to get political, but some crimes are victimless and some are not.  It's not hard to fathom that carrying a loaded gun on a plane is a crime, and ignorance is never an excuse for committing a crime.  

I do believe some jail time is reasonable here but I just want to point out that this was in fact a victimless crime.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2023 at 10:39 AM, Green Ghost said:

Ahhhh… I didn’t realize how in tune you are with the legal system dealing with these kinds of things. *rolls eyes*

Now go back and read the thread when QW was arrested and see how everyone knew “exactly” what would happen then also because “the law”..

QW was arrested when he tried to check the gun and didn’t know he needed to be licensed in each state, not just his home state, no?   And it wasn’t loaded.
Because that’s not what happened here

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

QW was arrested when he tried to check the gun and didn’t know he needed to be licensed in each state, not just his home state, no?   And it wasn’t loaded.
Because that’s not what happened here

So this is interesting -- under NY law, QW's gun may have been considered loaded:

https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/penal-law/pen-sect-265-00/

15. “Loaded firearm” means any firearm loaded with ammunition or any firearm which is possessed by one who, at the same time, possesses a quantity of ammunition which may be used to discharge such firearm.

So if he had the gun and ammo together, and the ammo wasn't in a separate + locked case, it seems his unloaded gun is considered loaded in NY.

Loaded gun = felony = mandatory minimum sentence, which QW of course didn't receive.

So this supports my idea earlier that the mandatory minimum only applies if convicted (or if there was a guilt plea to that felony prior to a conviction in court). 

QW got a deal, likely to plead to a lesser crime, which didn't carry minimum jail time. So like every other post-arrest it's discretionary whether or not to pursue a conviction, and in QW's case the DA/prosecutor decided not to do so (likely because of the circumstances where he's legitimately trying to check it & hide nothing). But just because everyone knew he did it and that carries a mandatory minimum sentence, doesn't therefore mean he gets that mandatory minimum sentence in actuality. 

This latest imbecile may very well get the same treatment from his prosecutor/DA, but that remains to be seen. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So this is interesting -- under NY law, QW's gun may have been considered loaded:

15. “Loaded firearm” means any firearm loaded with ammunition or any firearm which is possessed by one who, at the same time, possesses a quantity of ammunition which may be used to discharge such firearm.

So if he had the gun and ammo together, and the ammo wasn't in a separate + locked case, it seems his unloaded gun is considered loaded in NY.

Loaded gun = felony = mandatory minimum sentence, which QW of course didn't receive.

So this supports my idea earlier that the mandatory minimum only applies if convicted (or if there was a guilt plea to that felony prior to a conviction in court). 

QW got a deal, likely to plead to a lesser crime, which didn't carry minimum jail time. So like every other post-arrest it's discretionary whether or not to pursue a conviction, and in QW's case the DA/prosecutor decided not to do so (likely because of the circumstances where he's legitimately trying to check it & hide nothing). But just because everyone knew he did it and that carries a mandatory minimum sentence, doesn't therefore mean he gets that mandatory minimum sentence in actuality. 

This latest imbecile may very well get the same treatment from his prosecutor/DA, but that remains to be seen. 

"As we said from the outset, this matter has been resolved with no criminal charges," attorney Alex Spiro said in a statement. "This case was nothing more than a technical issue with the storing of a firearm, which is why the government gave Mr. Williams nothing more than a ticket."

Williams pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, was fined $250 by the court and forfeited his firearm, according to the Queens District Attorney's Office.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2023 at 5:52 PM, Hal N of Provo said:

Are you suggesting that a thread on JN wandered off topic?  That’s a serious and unusual situation that needs to be investigated.

1st off - I don’t consider myself to be a gun guy.  I don’t carry or currently live near places I’d hunt.

But they frame this dumb like they always do.  He probably is a gun guy and probably forgot the guns were in the bag.  They make it sound like this is an assault on an airport. 

Taking a gainfully employed taxpayer and putting him in prison for forgetting he had guns in his bag is insane.  He needs to do better but prison would be a huge disservice to him and to society.

I know good people who just forgot. TSA always takes it seriously. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I knew you guys had some rules on the books… But WOW!  You follow them too. I never considered that happening.  That’s great.  Score one for the rule of law. 

I will stay out of further discussions on the topic starting now.  There are cultural issues larger than I imagined at play and I’m just a squatter here lol. 

Looney Tunes Animation GIF

Hal, we are used to Texas. I had to manage firearms from my Moms estate in upstate NY a few years ago. I was simply shocked at the difference. Cultural differences only begins to describe it. No judgement, just a huge gulf.

• Upvote 2

On 6/18/2023 at 12:55 PM, Larz said:

Cheatriots suspended him for 2 games last year but never said why. He’s a total ******* idiot 

Jones, New England’s promising rookie cornerback, was suspended late in the season while on injured reserve. The punishment reportedly stemmed from Jones being late to and missing rehab sessions and mouthing off to Belichick.

It was the latest in a series of off-the-field issues for the talented cover man, who also was disciplined by each of his two college programs (USC and Arizona State).

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

"As we said from the outset, this matter has been resolved with no criminal charges," attorney Alex Spiro said in a statement. "This case was nothing more than a technical issue with the storing of a firearm, which is why the government gave Mr. Williams nothing more than a ticket."

Williams pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, was fined $250 by the court and forfeited his firearm, according to the Queens District Attorney's Office.

This is 100% what I was saying. They threw out the original charges and got him to accept a lesser charge that didn't come with jail time. That's probably because it was viewed as an innocent mistake, but ignorance is not a defense: it still requires the DA to approve not following through with the original charges.

The same may happen with Jones. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

QW didn't have ammo... Jack Jones was carrying additional ammo as well as loaded clips. And hirer capacity (Feeder) as well... Jail time is probable but I bet its a couple months, probation and a fine. But Healey might push for a harsh sentence, being a former AG, and just passing the Feeder Clip law. I doubt there is 0 jail time but if this drags out and they go to trial its going to become a huge political talking piece.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

QW didn't have ammo... Jack Jones was carrying additional ammo as well as loaded clips. And hirer capacity (Feeder) as well... Jail time is probable but I bet its a couple months, probation and a fine.

It was reported QW did have ammo. If it turns out he didn't then he didn't, but that was originally reported.

Even still, it's discretionary whether to pursue full charges through to a conviction or agree to a plea deal with the suspect. Mandatory sentences are for convictions (or guilty pleas to those charges), not for mere accusations/charges they are free to drop.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It was reported QW did have ammo. If it turns out he didn't then he didn't, but that was originally reported.

Even still, it's discretionary whether to pursue full charges through to a conviction or agree to a plea deal with the suspect. Mandatory sentences are for convictions (or guilty pleas to those charges), not for mere accusations/charges they are free to drop.

from what i read, it was unloaded for one.  second it was in checked bag not carryon and third he told them he had a gun.

also, he wasn't charged in the past with using a gun to commit a robbery.

think it's very different but we will see the outcome.   QW had to pay a 250 dollar fine.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

from what i read, it was unloaded for one.  second it was in checked bag not carryon and third he told them he had a gun.

also, he wasn't charged in the past with using a gun to commit a robbery.

think it's very different but we will see the outcome.   QW had to pay a 250 dollar fine.

If that's what he had, that's considered loaded in NY. If you are carrying an unloaded gun and are also carrying ammo that can be used in that gun, NY says you are carrying a loaded gun.

At one point he was carrying both of them together (inside an airport, at that), unless the other/checked bag - the one with the ammo - arrived at the airport via the star trek transporter room at a separate time. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh I agree... I think this gets plead down to unlawful carry of a weapon and charged as a misdemeanor, or some sh*t... 

But if they go for full conviction he is looking at 5+ years in jail, between Feeder device, unlawful carry of concealed weapon, and unlawful carry of a loaded weapon.

But we all know that doesn't happen to rich people. So... I am actually curious to see if Pats wait it out since he seemed like an up and coming talent.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Oh I agree... I think this gets plead down to unlawful carry of a weapon and charged as a misdemeanor, or some sh*t... 

But if they go for full conviction he is looking at 5+ years in jail, between Feeder device, unlawful carry of concealed weapon, and unlawful carry of a loaded weapon.

But we all know that doesn't happen to rich people. So... I am actually curious to see if Pats wait it out since he seemed like an up and coming talent.

Too early to tell, and - right or wrong, under the law - the reality is a DA/prosecutor does take circumstances into account when deciding how to proceed. Those circumstances may be like how rich/important is this person, or - like QW - was he really ignorant & thought he was doing things properly. While ignorance isn't a defense per se, it's quite different than carrying two loaded handguns in carry on and not declaring them (i.e. attempted to take multiple loaded firearms with him into the airplane cabin). 

I half-expect a plea down (though even a plea down may come with some time even if it's not 2+ years), just because. Still, this is a bit less than "The law in my home state is different" (while voluntarily checking a truly unloaded gun before going through security scanners) since I'm not sure any state lets you board a plane - interstate or otherwise - with multiple, loaded firearms on your person.

I mean, what a ****ing a**hole. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is 100% what I was saying. They threw out the original charges and got him to accept a lesser charge that didn't come with jail time. That's probably because it was viewed as an innocent mistake, but ignorance is not a defense: it still requires the DA to approve not following through with the original charges.

The same may happen with Jones. 

Should I have thrown in I was agreeing with you? 🤣😎

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

the guy has made 1.4MM so far in his career.  take away taxes and standard first year spending my guess is he doesn't have that much $$.

and it will mostly be gone once he pays his legal bills.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Too early to tell, and - right or wrong, under the law - the reality is a DA/prosecutor does take circumstances into account when deciding how to proceed. Those circumstances may be like how rich/important is this person, or - like QW - was he really ignorant & thought he was doing things properly. While ignorance isn't a defense per se, it's quite different than carrying two loaded handguns in carry on and not declaring them (i.e. attempted to take multiple loaded firearms with him into the airplane cabin). 

I half-expect a plea down (though even a plea down may come with some time even if it's not 2+ years), just because. Still, this is a bit less than "The law in my home state is different" (while voluntarily checking a truly unloaded gun before going through security scanners) since I'm not sure any state lets you board a plane - interstate or otherwise - with multiple, loaded firearms on your person.

I mean, what a ****ing a**hole. 

so, if you are travelling with someone, can they keep ammo in their bag and guns in your bag - and it's all okay?

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you want a briefer reply, then yes.

Disagreement, or even leaving it more nebulous as to whether or not you are disagreeing, will result in one chapter per dissenting viewpoint.

I was agreeing.

As usual with you

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you want a briefer reply, then yes.

Disagreement, or even leaving it more nebulous as to whether or not you are disagreeing, will result in one chapter per dissenting viewpoint.

What I do find very interesting are the Jets fans who are using our player, Q Williams and his mistake to defend a Pats players criminal act

• Haha 1

so, if you are travelling with someone, can they keep ammo in their bag and guns in your bag - and it's all okay?
You can't take a firearm on a commercial flight. You have to transport it in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. You need to declare it to TSA. Lastly, you should be able to legally posses it at your destination. I can legally check my handgun at Bradley in CT and fly to Boston. Once I pick up my handgun at the airport in Boston, I'm breaking the law and subject to arrest.
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the guy has made 1.4MM so far in his career.  take away taxes and standard first year spending my guess is he doesn't have that much $$.

and it will mostly be gone once he pays his legal bills.

Yes this is true but he works for an owner that is worth Billions... If he talented enough they will figure it out.

53 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You can't take a firearm on a commercial flight. You have to transport it in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. You need to declare it to TSA. Lastly, you should be able to legally posses it at your destination. I can legally check my handgun at Bradley in CT and fly to Boston. Once I pick up my handgun at the airport in Boston, I'm breaking the law and subject to arrest.

sorry I meant checked bag, not carry on.  

the idea was to get around the whole "loaded gun" point.   it should be possible it seems.

19 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Yes this is true but he works for an owner that is worth Billions... If he talented enough they will figure it out.

kraft isn't paying his legal bills.

that's not allowed.

and frankly kraft doesn't care how much money he has.  in fact if he's broke that's even better.  more incentive to do well.