What’s Left For Joe Douglas To Do?

Extract pay cuts from CJ, Corey Davis, Tomlinson. Not likely. Probably gets CJ

Hold his water with Q. I love Q and he’s really important, but he balled out in a contract year and I’m not resetting the market for him especially when I control him for 2 years. It takes 2 to tango, so on some level Q must be asking for something a little out of line. I think he’s more likely to blink because he’s going to want the long term security. 

This years minidraft is going to be epic, teams are cutting from 90 to 54 in one day, try to snag a WLB and FS, maybe RB

• Upvote 2

Big Mac won Executive of the Year. Early success doesn’t equal long-term stability.

Joe Douglas has gotten rid of the wids, added compost to the soil, planted and watered the seeds. What looks like an empty field will soon be covered with crop.

Now let’s go grab a damn snack.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I didn't say "high priced" but we do need a viable back-up. At this time 24 years ago it was almost exactly like this . The Jets were all over all the football magazines and Parcells was being asked what he thinks about any and everything. If Zach Wilson is the back up there's no hope, Saleh might even get fired

Notice how the opponents to getting a vet QB2 always slip in words like “high priced” to try to subtly dig under the idea by misrepresenting it. It’s all just a desire to keep Zach high on the depth chart so that maybe — maybe — he’ll vindicate them on a messageboard.

I prefer the jets to increase their chances to survive if Rodgers misses limited time and make the playoffs. I guess I’m a “fake Jets fan.”

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Notice how the opponents to getting a vet QB2 always slip in words like “high priced” to try to subtly dig under the idea by misrepresenting it. It’s all just a desire to keep Zach high on the depth chart so that maybe — maybe — he’ll vindicate them on a messageboard.

I prefer the jets to increase their chances to survive if Rodgers misses limited time and make the playoffs. I guess I’m a “fake Jets fan.”

Is that what it is Johnny? They just can't accept the fact that maybe, just maybe they were wrong about Wilson being the next Mahomes? He's the superstar in shortie shorts whose best throw was made at the 2020 NFL Combine. I just went back and watched every pass play from both New England games and this guy has no pocket presence, constantly stares down receivers, has the worst footwork I have ever seen from a pro QB-ever and the worst part is whenever he has the slightest bit of pressure he panics and makes wild  Hail Mary type throws, HOPING someone within range will make a miraculous catch.

I've watched the little bit of tape that's out there on the guy they got from Green Bay Tim Boyle, watch the way he plays the position in comparison to what you have in your mind's eye about the way that Wilson plays it and tell me who "looks" more like an NFL-ready quarterback Tim Boyle or the worst QB in the game today?https://youtu.be/ImmaqRRylok

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

On 6/22/2023 at 4:04 PM, SoFlaJets said:

Is that what it is Johnny? They just can't accept the fact that maybe, just maybe they were wrong about Wilson being the next Mahomes? He's the superstar in shortie shorts whose best throw was made at the 2020 NFL Combine. I just went back and watched every pass play from both New England games and this guy has no pocket presence, constantly stares down receivers, has the worst footwork I have ever seen from a pro QB-ever and the worst part is whenever he has the slightest bit of pressure he panics and makes wild  Hail Mary type throws, HOPING someone within range will make a miraculous catch.

I've watched the little bit of tape that's out there on the guy they got from Green Bay Tim Boyle, watch the way he plays the position in comparison to what you have in your mind's eye about the way that Wilson plays it and tell me who "looks" more like an NFL-ready quarterback Tim Boyle or the worst QB in the game today?https://youtu.be/ImmaqRRylok

I already declared Boyle better than Zach having watched zero tape on the guy!

I also laugh at the argument against a better QB2, “If we lose Rodgers for the year, we are sunk anyway.” And if a 50 mile asteroid hits Earth we are also screwed, guess it’s pointless to protect ourselves from any lesser possible calamities.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I already declared Boyle better than Zach having watched zero tape on the guy!

I also laugh at the argument against a better QB2, “If we lose Rodgers for the year, we are sunk anyway.” And if a 5 mile asteroid his Earth we are also screwed, guess it’s pointless to protect ourselves from any lesser possible calamities.

I hope I never have to watch him take another snap as QB of the Jets, and I mean under ANY circumstances-not even in the Hall of Fame game in August

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

I don’t know why this has to be some sort of us vs. them scenario. 

My opinion is that if Rodgers goes down for any significant period of time, or suffers a season ending injury at any time, that’s it: season’s pretty much over. I believe that’s their calculation as well. Neither Teddy Bridgewater nor Carson Wentz is carrying this team anywhere. How much money do you want to throw at this backup QB if you don’t like the term “high priced”? What I think is that whatever that cost might be, they’d rather put it into the team around Rodgers and hope that core can get them thru should he miss any time. Or put it into the defense and let them carry you for a couple games - they did it last year. 

Zach sucks, but Zach was also 5-2 at one point last season. It’s not completely out of line to think they believe that he can game manage them thru a Rodgers-less stretch. If not, they brought in Boyle who knows Hackett and the offense. 

For me, I don’t care if Zach’s the backup or listed as the emergency QB all year long. It has absolutely nothing to do with him (although, for appearances sake, they probably want him at #2). What it’s about is the best use of available resources when you already have $130M and a few draft picks invested in the QB position over the next two years just between Rodgers and Zach. 

• Post of the Week 1

On 6/22/2023 at 9:04 AM, SoFlaJets said:

660EB726-9DDA-4909-8D79-8CDCE4E27090.jpeg

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

• The Jets "own" Zach Wilson and there is only upside.   Next year he could be traded or cut for zero cap impact, like Darnold was.   It would not surprise me if Boyle is the true QB2.   Let's see how different coaching and mentoring works out.  I think backup QB for this team is covered.
  • FS and LB is not really covered.  
  • OL and RB they will work with what they have.  
  • Upvote 1

On 6/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, varjet said:
  • The Jets "own" Zach Wilson and there is only upside.   Next year he could be traded or cut for zero cap impact, like Darnold was.   It would not surprise me if Boyle is the true QB2.   Let's see how different coaching and mentoring works out.  I think backup QB for this team is covered.
  • FS and LB is not really covered.  
  • OL and RB they will work with what they have.  

If Boyle and The Strev outplay Zach (which is what I expect will happen) they will. have no choice but to make -or name Boyle the back-up. I hope so because from even the little that I have SEEN with my own two eyes watching him throw during the OTA's he hasn't learned a thing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

If Boyle and The Strev outplay Zach (which is what I expect will happen) they will. have no choice but to make -or name Boyle the back-up. I hope so because from even the little that I have SEEN with my own two eyes watching him throw during the OTA's he hasn't learned a thing.

They'll name Zach the QB2 on the depth chart. The true feelings won't really be known unless the unfortunate happens and Rodgers gets hurt.

10 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

You mean like how they promoted White immediately after it was obvious in practice he was better than Zach?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

He's said he's open to making more trades. He's admitted that he has a strong roster with good depth at certain positions and hard decisions on who to cut. So you'd expect the Jets to lose guys cut to other teams. But will he look to sign players he likes cut from other clubs. Even with a good roster. You'd think he would. 

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Trade for Davante Adam’s and/or Hunter Renforow

You could have gotten Hunter Renfrow for sixth early.   They were giving him away .   ( new staff- player has injured plague year- look to move on ).  Well they seen the real Hunter Renfrow and why he’s almost impossible to cover man  to man out of the slot .  ( Josh Mcdaniels giving him more fuller route tree to run than Gruden did.  Will have monster year . Just remember they don’t call him thirddown  and Renfrow for nothing. 

Raiders have their Wr corps 1 D Adams 2. J Meyers 3. Hunter Renfrow  4. Tre Tucker - brings game breaking speed 5. DeAndre Carter -kick and punt returner and dangerous slot receiver .  6.   Philip Dorsett - speed threat knows the system or Cam Sims ( last spot between those two players) big Wr 6’5 ( red zone) and excellent special team player. 

8 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

You could have gotten Hunter Renfrow for sixth early.   They were giving him away .   ( new staff- player has injured plague year- look to move on ).  Well they seen the real Hunter Renfrow and why he’s almost impossible to cover man  to man out of the slot .  ( Josh Mcdaniels giving him more fuller route tree to run than Gruden did.  Will have monster year . Just remember they don’t call him thirddown  and Renfrow for nothing. 

Raiders have their Wr corps 1 D Adams 2. J Meyers 3. Hunter Renfrow  4. Tre Tucker - brings game breaking speed 5. DeAndre Carter -kick and punt returner and dangerous slot receiver .  6.   Philip Dorsett - speed threat knows the system or Cam Sims ( last spot between those two players) big Wr 6’5 ( red zone) and excellent special team player. 

Raiders suck.

• Post of the Week 1