..starting OT's spoken 4 ?

jtomm

Jets' Preseason Position Battles: Starting Offensive Tackle Spots Spoken for  ?

Nothing guaranteed for former first-rounder Mekhi Becton heading into training camp

By now, we know what Mekhi Becton's offensive line depth chart looks like, but what will the New York Jets' official document say at the conclusion of the NFL Preseason ?  Which players will be the starting tackles and which side will they occupy?Becton, the Jets' 2020 first-round draft pick, clearly stated his preference in early May. The 6-foot-7 bookend posted a tweet that said, "I. AM. A. LEFT. TACKLE!!!" Jets' head coach Robert Saleh responded to Becton with six simple words.

"Go earn the left tackle. Competition," said Saleh.

Meanwhile, Saleh appears to have veteran Duane Brown penciled in as Aaron Rodgers's blindside protector. Brown, who turns 38 years old next month, fought through injury to make 12 starts for the Jets in 2022, which was his first season with Gang Green."You guys know I love Duane. He won the first annual Selfless Warrior Award for the team in terms of just what he sacrificed," said Saleh. "Like I said, last year his money was guaranteed. He didn’t have to subject his body to what he did, but he stepped on the field, played as many games as he possibly could with torn rotator cuffs and did a really nice job."Brown, a former first-round selection, has played on the left side of the line since starting 16 games as a rookie for the Houston Texans in 2008."He [Brown] obviously is very comfortable at that left tackle spot," said Saleh. "I have a feeling Duane will be a hard out anyway."

It sounds as if the team has settled on Brown at left tackle barring some kind of training camp upset. That leaves the right tackle spot open for Becton, but he'll have to earn it after missing the last two seasons due to injury."I think Max Mitchell has something to say about it. I think the young kid Carter Warren that we drafted, and Billy Turner," said Saleh during OTAs. "We have a lot of really good tackles right now that are competing to be one of the two tackles that are on the football field. So, it’ll be a good, healthy competition and those who attack it with the right mindset will end up reaping the benefits."

Mitchell and Warren are the team's fourth-round draft choices from the past two years while the 31-year-old Turner inked a one-year free-agent deal this spring. The Jets elected not to re-sign George Fant, who started 36 games for the club over the last three years."Whether right or left? No, best five are on the field," said Saleh.Will Becton be part of the "best five" and what about the left side? There's a lot on the line for Becton and the offensive line come training camp.

Jets' RT Candidates - Mekhi Becton

Number: 77
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 363
How/When Acquired: Drafted / 2020 Round 1 (No. 11 overall)
College: Louisville
Year: Fourth
2022 Final Stats: DNP

Becton was billed as a franchise bookend when the Jets drafted him 11th overall in 2020. The behemoth initially looked the part as he made 14 appearances (13 starts) as a rookie left tackle, but injuries have stunted his career. Becton has not played in a regular season game since the 2021 opener. He experienced a great deal of weight loss this offseason and appears to be in shape to win back his job. In spite of his availability problems, Becton is the favorite to earn the right tackle spot based upon his pedigree and natural ability.

Billy Turner

Number: 54
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 313
How/When Acquired: FA Signing / 2023 (from Broncos)
College: North Dakota State
Year: Tenth
2022 Final Stats: 8 GP, 7 GS (for Denver)

Turner could be the biggest threat to Becton's starting status. The grizzled veteran has 75 career starts under his belt and has a high familiarity with Jets' offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. The right tackle made 13 starts for Green Bay in 2021. Over a three-year stint with the Rodgers, Hackett and the Packers, Turner started all 43 of his appearances. 

Max Mitchell

Number: 61
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 299
How/When Acquired: Drafted / 2022 Round 4 (No. 111 overall)
College: Louisiana
Year: Second
2022 Final Stats: 6 GP, 5 GS

Mitchell was thrown into the fire as a fourth-round rookie and performed adequately. With injuries forcing the Louisiana product into the Week 1 starting lineup, Mitchell played 100 percent of the offensive snaps in his first three appearances prior to suffering injury in a Week 4 road win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. Mitchell returned in Week 12, but was subsequently shut down for the remainder of the 2022 campaign due to a blood clotting issue.

Carter Warren

Number: 67
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 323
How/When Acquired: Drafted / 2023 Round 4 (No. 120 overall)
College: Pittsburgh
Year: Rookie
2022 Final Stats: 4 GP, 4 GS (at Pitt)

The Garden State product showed pro potential while competing for Pittsburgh, but his final collegiate season ended prematurely due to a knee injury. Battling back from a meniscus tear, Warren was a non-participant during OTAs. At this point, Warren is likely not a plug-and-play tackle, but he provides insurance for the Jets beyond this season with Brown and Becton set to become free agents.

>>  https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/preseason-position-battles-starting-offensive-tackle-spots

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Duane Brown is the oldest starting offensive lineman in the league by 2 years

he's 2 years older than Jason Kelce (who's old af himself) 

it's ridiculous to pencil this dude in for anything 

Jason peters was a starter last year and he’s 41. 4 years older than brown. And he played well last year. Yes he’s a free agent rn but someone will get injured and I’m sure he will be signed before the season

• Upvote 1

Health unfortunately is still a factor.  I don’t think Brown or Becton has been cleared to practice yet. 

Turner probably has the inside track on the swing tackle backup role due to Rodgers familiarity.  

Really need a break this year from the injury gods and need Mitchell and Warren to step up.  

• Upvote 3

This is Duane Brown's last year.   They save $5mm by cutting him but then have to find another LT (with $6mm dead cap).  

They can play this two ways-use him as a back up and let Becton start, or start with Brown, assume he breaks down, and the Becton can step up.

I think practically, making Brown the favorite, knowing that Becton will eventually see time at LT, and hoping that when Brown gets injured he is not lost for the season, seems like the best plan.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Jason peters was a starter last year and he’s 41. 4 years older than brown. And he played well last year. Yes he’s a free agent rn but someone will get injured and I’m sure he will be signed before the season

You might be a year off.  He started in 2021 for the Bears.  I think Peters only got one start last year.  The Cowboys signed him in September.  Strangely he played 10-20 snaps a bunch of games and then started week 17.  Then he started the playoff win against the Bucs, but hurt his hip and was inactive for the loss top the 49ers.  With all the fear about injuries, Peters would probably be an option.  He signed a practice squad contract with the Cowboys and ended up playing for $1.8M.  FWIW, PFF graded him as a low tier starter.

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

Health unfortunately is still a factor.  I don’t think Brown or Becton has been cleared to practice yet. 

Turner probably has the inside track on the swing tackle backup role due to Rodgers familiarity.  

Really need a break this year from the injury gods and need Mitchell and Warren to step up.  

I think they only need one or the other.  A break from the injury gods, or Mitchell and Warren to step up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

gosh I'd like to bet on the other side of that prediction

27 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

At this stage of their careers, Becton SHOULD be able to beat out Brown for the LT job...

Sure. But the question with Becton is never about ability. It’s about preparation ,diet and determination. While we’ve seen some promising words and pictures, Becton needs to show it in TC. 
I am certainly rooting for him but agree with Saleh. Earn it. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, addage said:

Sure. But the question with Becton is never about ability. It’s about preparation ,diet and determination. While we’ve seen some promising words and pictures, Becton needs to show it in TC. 

Right. It’s the thing the bellichicken says. He’d rather have players that bring 80% 100% of the time than a guy who can play 100% but for less than 80% of the time. Becton needs to show he can play effectively for 10-12 play drives and then come out and do it again when the other team goes three and out.

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Every O-lineman in the NFL who might start?

Ok.

that's the stat as of current starters 

I'm not counting unsigned fa like Jason Peters

By the way if a team signs a player mid-season to start because of injury that's not really a starter. That's an injury replacement 

18 hours ago, addage said:

There's a better chance that a 24 year old learns how to eat correctly than a 37 year old staying healthy and strong forever 

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Every O-lineman in the NFL who might start?

Ok.

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that's the stat as of current starters 

I'm not counting unsigned fa like Jason Peters 

I hate bitonti's generally worldview, and the movies he chooses to watch (like 80 for Brady), but he's actually correct on this one.  I checked every depth chart and Duane Brown is indeed the oldest starting OL by several years.

Where I disagree with Bit firmly is by saying:  This does not matter.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where I disagree with Bit firmly is by saying:  This does not matter.  

As a group We should be more worried about 40 year old QB than the 37 year old lt 

Joe Douglas has options at tackle when the inevitable happens 

QB room is a wing and a prayer 

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hate bitonti's generally worldview, and the movies he chooses to watch (like 80 for Brady), but he's actually correct on this one.  I checked every depth chart and Duane Brown is indeed the oldest starting OL by several years.

Ok. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right?  That's all his research deserved:  A shrug.

A shrug much like any movie critic worth his salt gave after watching 80 for Brady

Did he really watch 80 for Brady?

I tend to question claims like that without a reputable source, no matter who posts it, but if you both went to all the effort to check every starting O-lineman's DOB for this (lets see, that's 5x O-linemen per team x 32 teams = 160 players baseline, plus players who started many games last year after others got hurt, plus any new sure-thing starters, that's alot of player data to check manually.....) then I guess it's true.

I tend to be concerned about our O-line health universally.  So an old one is no more (or less) worrisome than a constantly hurt young one (Becton) a recently hurt young one (AVT) or a rookie one (Too Tall) or etc. etc. etc.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Did he really watch 80 for Brady?

I tend to question claims like that without a reputable source, no matter who posts it, but if you both went to all the effort to check every starting O-lineman's DOB for this (lets see, that's 5x O-linemen per team x 32 teams = 160 players baseline, plus players who started many games last year after others got hurt, plus any new sure-thing starters, that's alot of player data to check manually.....) then I guess it's true.

I tend to be concerned about our O-line health universally.  So an old one is no more (or less) worrisome than a constantly hurt young one (Becton) a recently hurt young one (AVT) or a rookie one (Too Tall) or etc. etc. etc.

it's not the world's most glamorous job but I grade all the NFL lines for a fantasy website - their ages, heights and weights are all baked into the spreadsheet. I've been doing this for 13 years straight. Baltimore has the heaviest line fwiw 

part of the trick is figuring out who is the starter - the fact that the Jets have 3 out of 5 positions TBD is not the makings of the world's greatest line. And Laken being the 4th doesn't help 

all that being said I expect Billy Turner will prove to be a smart signing and even Adam Pankey has experience with Rodgers. Wes S is a borderline starter who is a fave of the new OL coach - Even Trystan Colon Castillo is a good name - probably doesn't make the roster but he's not terrible - So at least the line has some half-decent depth this year.

McGovern let's be real he kinda sucked, that's why they drafted Tippmann. Adding Tippmann could be really good. It's hard to predict what a 2nd round pick does in a SB year, but it could be a Creed Humphrey type of pick - that's feasible. it's also feasible he can't hold his water for Rodgers' famed hard count. We'll see.  

Max Mitchell, Carter Warren there are at least options in the pipeline which is different from years past

Duane Brown is the starter but he's not practicing, Mekhi Becton is the starter but he's not practicing that's their most problematic issue. They also declined Becton's option, which means they have no motivation to give him reps, despite being probably the most athletically rare player in the OL room  

The OL coaches get graded too and Keith Carter is no great shakes. He's fine, maybe, like a B or B- type of coach (we hope). He's not like a Mike Munchak or Bill Callahan getting 1 M plus per year he's a regular run-of-the-mill OL coach. best known for being the grandson of Gino Marchetti. No genius we hope he's not terrible but he might be - the Titans do have the worst line in the league right now.  

SO to review, there's a new QB, new OC (son of Paul Hackett(!) ) new system, new verbiage, new line coach and potentially 3 new starters 

This massive amount of change (and the first 6 games of the schedule) all add up to concern, compared to the top of the list like PHI, DET, CLE they have their lines all pretty much sorted out. BUF has a surprisingly good group too

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  On his own and by choice.  

it was on a plane    that part of the story is always left out 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not the world's most glamorous job but I grade all the NFL lines for a fantasy website.....

If that is your job, there are worse jobs to have.  Congrats.

SO to review, there's a new QB, new system, new verbiage, new line coach and potentially 3 new starters 

A new future HOF QB one year removed from back to back NFL MVP seasons.

A new system.....tailored to that QB and for which he has extensive experience/knowledge.

New Verbiage.....that the HOF QB knows and can help the players learn.

New Line Coach.  You say he's a "B-type" grade.  Seems ok to me.  Was the guy he replaced an A?  So a sidegrade at least?

Three new starters?  Only one (Too Tall) is actually new, right?  The others are experienced NFL starters, just in a new spot or back from injury, right?

There are all valid facts, but I think you take the most negative evaluatory view, and ignore any positive views of those same facts.

"A new QB" in a vacuum is not bad.  When that "new QB" is a HOF'er, albeit an older one, and he's replacing the 32nd ranked QB the past two years, lol.

It takes effort, conscious effort, to portray Aaron Rodgers replacing Zach Wilson as a net negative and a concern Bit.

it was on a plane i feel like that part of the story is always left out 

Dude.  Still.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not the world's most glamorous job but I grade all the NFL lines for a fantasy website - their ages, heights and weights are all baked into the spreadsheet. I've been doing this for 13 years straight. Baltimore has the heaviest line fwiw 

part of the trick is figuring out who is the starter - the fact that the Jets have 3 out of 5 positions TBD is not the makings of the world's greatest line. And Laken being the 4th doesn't help 

all that being said I expect Billy Turner will prove to be a smart signing and even Adam Pankey has experience with Rodgers. Wes S is a borderline starter who is a fave of the new OL coach - Even Trystan Colon Castillo is a good name - probably doesn't make the roster but he's not terrible - So at least the line has some half-decent depth this year.

McGovern let's be real he kinda sucked, that's why they drafted Tippmann. Adding Tippmann could be really good. It's hard to predict what a 2nd round pick does in a SB year, but it could be a Creed Humphrey type of pick - that's feasible. it's also feasible he can't hold his water for Rodgers' famed hard count. We'll see.  

Max Mitchell, Carter Warren there are at least options in the pipeline which is different from years past

Duane Brown is the starter but he's not practicing, Mekhi Becton is the starter but he's not practicing that's their most problematic issue. They also declined Becton's option, which means they have no motivation to give him reps, despite being probably the most athletically rare player in the OL room  

The OL coaches get graded too and Keith Carter is no great shakes. He's fine, maybe, like a B or B- type of coach (we hope). He's not like a Mike Munchak or Bill Callahan getting 1 M plus per year he's a regular run-of-the-mill OL coach. best known for being the grandson of Gino Marchetti. No genius we hope he's not terrible but he might be - the Titans do have the worst line in the league right now.  

SO to review, there's a new QB, new OC (son of Paul Hackett(!) ) new system, new verbiage, new line coach and potentially 3 new starters 

This massive amount of change (and the first 6 games of the schedule) all add up to concern, compared to the top of the list like PHI, DET, CLE they have their lines all pretty much sorted out. BUF has a surprisingly good group too

it was on a plane    that part of the story is always left out 

Would you have picked up Becton’s option?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If that is your job, there are worse jobs to have.  Congrats.

It's a gig not really a job but cobble together enough gigs every little bit helps

A new future HOF QB one year removed from back to back NFL MVP seasons.

0 years removed from a below average injury ridden season 

A new system.....tailored to that QB and for which he has extensive experience/knowledge.

No one else knows it as well

New Verbiage.....that the HOF QB knows and can help the players learn.

If it's one thing Aaron Rodgers is known for it's his ability to teach youngster 

that's sarcasm if you aren't picking it up

New Line Coach.  You say he's a "B-type" grade.  Seems ok to me.  Was the guy he replaced an A?  So a sidegrade at least?

It's an upgrade in the sense that John Benton got arrested in the offseason for DUI. Neither man is making big time money. Honestly, Frank Pollack was a half-decent one, but they didn't give him much to work with. These guys all probably make the same low salary so yes a sidegrade is a nice way to put it 

Three new starters?  Only one (Too Tall) is actually new, right?  The others are experienced NFL starters, just in a new spot or back from injury, right?

the model counts a new starter "from the pipeline" (Been there a year plus in the system) different from a "Fa Vet" which is also different from a "Rookie who's never played" 

To be completely transparent the Jets' current grade of 24th is based on 1 new starter Tippmann and 1 position swap Becton. It's shady to count Becton as a starter but the model overrates Brown's current condition so it evens out.  

It takes effort, conscious effort, to portray Aaron Rodgers replacing Zach Wilson as a net negative and a concern Bit.

I'm not concerned about replacing Aaron Rodgers with Zach Wilson. I'm more concerned about when Zach comes in for Aaron. ON paper that should be never but Wilson honestly shouldn't be on the roster at all and he's probably going to play real snaps when we least want him to 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is a good question

I would have, yes

but I would have paid QW a year ago, so don't ask me 

I wouldn’t have taken the Becton risk. Very skeptical of his discipline and motivation if he doesn’t feel the pressure of an immediate potential payday. Saw him crash diet before draft and now right before contract year. Hopefully the light went on but, I’d need 2 years minimum of sustained effort before paying him more than for the coming season.

Would’ve also resigned Q last year. Giving the right players a raise earlier actually results in lower overall spend over the life of the contract. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

JD knows how to build a team. In four drafts since his arrival JD has used 6 draft picks on O lineman

Tippman - Rd 2

Carter - Rd 4

Mitchell - Rd 4

AVT - Rd 1

Becton - Rd 1

Clark - Rd 4

In the four drafts before JD, the Jets selected 2 O lineman

Edoga - Rd 4

Shell - Rd 5

McCagnan was a total disgrace to his profession, hell Idzik drafted 4 in two drafts and 3 of them hung around the league for quite a while.

• Upvote 4