The O-line thread

Larz

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re all saying that Brown is coming back “soon” and that he’s the left tackle when he’s ready to go, so that’s an item checked off. Right tackle is the problem spot, but the offense is going to line up with a tight end and a back on every play anyway, so there’ll be help available for Mitchell or Turner. No way they stick Rodgers in an empty set too much

I thought about that too, I heard someone say last year that most lines are covering up one weak link, it gets messy when you have 2 weak links. 

• Upvote 2

Rosenblatt’s wrap-up re: Becton—

“Becton is slowly working his way back into game shape. He’s still not being considered for first-team reps, and probably won’t be until/unless he’s able to get through a full practice or game reps. That didn’t happen again Wednesday, as Becton sat out the final two-minute drill. Until that point, Becton had participated in every rep, 17 in total, and played well. Especially in the run game: On one rep early in 11-on-11, blocking for Wilson, Becton flattened Panthers outside linebacker Eku Leota into the ground.

Every day is important for him,” Saleh said before practice. “He’s making progress. He’s getting a lot better. … (Wednesday) is going to be the heaviest workload that we put on our guys all camp and as we continue to build for Week 1. Today is going to be a good test for him and the confidence he has in his knee.

“There is no one denying the talent,” Saleh continued. “The talent part and evaluating his ability to go play-to-play and dominate his one-on-ones isn’t even (an issue). It’s evaluating and making sure he’s in the right headspace, confident in his knee so he can build to what he think he can be.”

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

I thought about that too, I heard someone say last year that most lines are covering up one weak link, it gets messy when you have 2 weak links. 

It’s a long-standing PFF thing that you’re better off having five decent linemen than having three great ones and two scrubs because it’s too easy for defenses to isolate and exploit the scrubs. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rosenblatt’s wrap-up re: Becton—

“Becton is slowly working his way back into game shape. He’s still not being considered for first-team reps, and probably won’t be until/unless he’s able to get through a full practice or game reps. That didn’t happen again Wednesday, as Becton sat out the final two-minute drill. Until that point, Becton had participated in every rep, 17 in total, and played well. Especially in the run game: On one rep early in 11-on-11, blocking for Wilson, Becton flattened Panthers outside linebacker Eku Leota into the ground.

Every day is important for him,” Saleh said before practice. “He’s making progress. He’s getting a lot better. … (Wednesday) is going to be the heaviest workload that we put on our guys all camp and as we continue to build for Week 1. Today is going to be a good test for him and the confidence he has in his knee.

“There is no one denying the talent,” Saleh continued. “The talent part and evaluating his ability to go play-to-play and dominate his one-on-ones isn’t even (an issue). It’s evaluating and making sure he’s in the right headspace, confident in his knee so he can build to what he think he can be.”

7 plays to 17 in a week isn't bad...

An average game is about 80 offensive plays - still a long way to go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I actually thought they’d give Tippman some time at guard, but that hasn’t happened as yet. I heard Rosenblatt say that moving AVT to tackle would be a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency thing, and that the org sees him as an All Pro guard, so they don’t want to move him. I think—barring a trade—it’ll be Brown—Tomlinson—McGovern—AVT—Turner, with Becton, Tippman, and Mitchell in reserve. That’ll be passable

Yeah I don’t think they want to move him to RT, but to me the question then becomes: is Billy Turner starting at RT that break the glass type emergency? I don’t think they view it as one, at least heading into the season. But that may change a few weeks in.

(I also think I’d lean towards Mitchell being the better option at RT, at least pass protection wise; his struggles everyone is getting worked up about today were against Brian Burns while playing LT, where he really has no business playing IMO)

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Yeah I don’t think they want to move him to RT, but to me the question then becomes: is Billy Turner starting at RT that break the glass type emergency? I don’t think they view it as one, at least heading into the season. But that may change a few weeks in.

(I also think I’d lean towards Mitchell being the better option at RT, at least pass protection wise; his struggles everyone is getting worked up about today were against Brian Burns while playing LT, where he really has no business playing IMO)

I’d guess they’d go with Turner at RT at this point while Mitchell gets his sh*t together. Rodgers vouched for Turner and, one would presume, is aware that Turner isn’t great but at least there’s some familiarity there.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d guess they’d go with Turner at RT at this point while Mitchell gets his sh*t together. Rodgers vouched for Turner and, one would presume, is aware that Turner isn’t great but at least there’s some familiarity there.

I think that’s probably right. The fact that they are flipping them between LT and RT every day in practice tells me it’s a legit competition though.. if they were penciling in Turner at RT for week 1 I’d think they’d just have him stick there in practice.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Our oline is superb and all the problems last year were due to zac Wilson, we will be fine with a QB who gets the ball out of his hand and can read a defense......or so I have been told for months.   😎

Didn’t see anyone say superb. But yea, going from the slowest to the fastest NFL QB in time-to-throw will have a positive impact.

• Upvote 1

It would be biggest heartbreak in Jets’ history, and we’ve had a lot of them, if this year’s team fails due to poor OT play.
It doesn’t matter whether your opinion is that Douglas used sufficient resources into that position, the results are all that matters. And right now things are looking bleak for keeping a 39 year old pocket passer adequately protected. 
Why this is a surprise to anyone is bewildering.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Couple thoughts here

1.  The jets signed Duane Brown one year ago today.  Then the following took place:

Two weeks after he agreed to a contract with the Jets, 10 days after he joined conditioning drills, and one day after his first appearance in team drills, Brown put pads on for the first time since the end of last season with the Seahawks

That was from August 25th, the first day he practiced with the team. So can we please stop going nuts over when he takes the field?  If he keeps moving along slowly and practices next week and can play 1-2 quarters in the preseason finale he will essentially be ahead of last years schedule.  

2.  While it sucks that Brown doesnt have any versatility, I just dont see him moving to RT in any way.  He has played his entire career at LT and I cant see him moving.  That being said, if he can hold down LT and play at an above average level, that would really help the overall performance of the line.

3.  I dont see Tippman moving to Guard, personally I think it would be better for the team if McG moved to guard if we need to kick AVT to tackle.  The line calls arent important as Rogers sets the protections and Tippman would have McG next to him anyway.

4. I do wonder if a veteran RT will shake loose who we could bring on to solidify that spot, the issue then becomes roster space.  Who are we getting rid of to fill that spot? 

5.  I would LOVE to see Becont and Tomlinson be shipped to Dallas for Martin, but I really cant see that happening.  It would allow Dallas to have protection behind Tyrone Smith at LT and a replacement for martin but I just cant see that happening.

The Phins and Bills look like below average OLs on paper. But because the jets are pretty stacked all over, the OL is the only negative thing to talk about. We have depth and have upside. We may even have the best OL player in the division (AVT). 

If people are worried our defense is going to get beat by quick passes and exposing the LBs then why can’t Rodgers use an up tempo, quick short passing attack? 

I’ll keep saying the Jets need to be firing on all cylinders in November and beyond, not August training camp. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/27/2023 at 12:53 PM, Bronx said:

Dwayne should sit until Rodgers plays a snap.

No, he shouldn't.  He will have a lot of rust.  He hasn't taken a snap since last season ended.  We have a new blocking scheme and new OL Coach.  There's no way that he should be handed the LT job without practicing for at least a couple of weeks.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

Couple thoughts here

1.  The jets signed Duane Brown one year ago today.  Then the following took place:

Two weeks after he agreed to a contract with the Jets, 10 days after he joined conditioning drills, and one day after his first appearance in team drills, Brown put pads on for the first time since the end of last season with the Seahawks

That was from August 25th, the first day he practiced with the team. So can we please stop going nuts over when he takes the field?  If he keeps moving along slowly and practices next week and can play 1-2 quarters in the preseason finale he will essentially be ahead of last years schedule.  

2.  While it sucks that Brown doesnt have any versatility, I just dont see him moving to RT in any way.  He has played his entire career at LT and I cant see him moving.  That being said, if he can hold down LT and play at an above average level, that would really help the overall performance of the line.

3.  I dont see Tippman moving to Guard, personally I think it would be better for the team if McG moved to guard if we need to kick AVT to tackle.  The line calls arent important as Rogers sets the protections and Tippman would have McG next to him anyway.

4. I do wonder if a veteran RT will shake loose who we could bring on to solidify that spot, the issue then becomes roster space.  Who are we getting rid of to fill that spot? 

5.  I would LOVE to see Becont and Tomlinson be shipped to Dallas for Martin, but I really cant see that happening.  It would allow Dallas to have protection behind Tyrone Smith at LT and a replacement for martin but I just cant see that happening.

I hope that you're right about Brown, but we have a new OL Coach and a new scheme with a new terminology. He will have a lot of rust.  IMO if he hasn't practiced for at least a couple of weeks and Becton has started practicing with the 1st unit and is looking good, then Brown should take a seat on the bench.

If AVT does have to move to RT, I agree that Tippman should stay at C, but there's no way that McG should be the new RG.  He was drafted as an OG, but sucked so badly at it, the Broncos moved him to C.  Even McG admits that he's a much better C than OG, and he's not even very good at C.  I'm hoping that Tippman will supplant him as the starting C.  If AVT moves to RT, then Wes Schweitzer should be the new RG.  He has been a solid, above average OG his entire career in the NFL.

Becton's not going anywhere this year, nor should he.  What would the Jets do then if Brown got injured or his play had dropped off a cliff? Moving Becton makes no sense, especially for an OG.  The Jets cannot afford Martin.  They're already paying Tomlinson a lot, and next year they're going to have around 31 FAs and even with an increased cap, they will have a hard time re-signing all of their own players that they want to keep.  They're not going to have the cap space to pay Martin a huge contract or sign other big ticket FAs.

When Zach stinks it up again this year you can use the same excuse 
I'm more inclined to pray that Rodgers doesn't get killed due to negligence. I can already see a line with some very good players failing because of middling or poor performances due to injury in some cases, or guys like Becton who either won't be able to make it through an entire game , or just make mental errors like the one we saw this weekend.

I hope I am happily surprised by an as of yet unseen depth to the quality along the Line ... But right now ... I don't see it.

36 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I'm more inclined to pray that Rodgers doesn't get killed due to negligence. I can already see a line with some very good players failing because of middling or poor performances due to injury in some cases, or guys like Becton who either won't be able to make it through an entire game , or just make mental errors like the one we saw this weekend.

I hope I am happily surprised by an as of yet unseen depth to the quality along the Line ... But right now ... I don't see it.

Rodgers is 39 and was injured last year.  We could have the league’s best OL he probably will get hurt anyway. Unfortunately that whose name shall not be uttered will play during this regular season at some point

44 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Is Brown on PUP just because he’s getting the vet treatment and a gamer?

Can someone catch me up ?

Yes it sounds like that. No way to know for sure but they seem very confident he will be out there starting week one.