The Week 1: The Powder keg, and the Media Hype (Hate) Machine

Warfish

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The 2020 Brady Bucs lost their first game by double digits to the Saints. It was an ugly, clunky performance. They were 7-5 entering December, kinda middling, but hit their stride and won eight straight games to win the Super Bowl. 

The 2012 Manning Broncos were 2-3 to start the season, and then went on to win eleven straight games en route to the number one seed. 

I’m not going to lose my sh*t if we start 3-3, or, gulp, 2-4. This early schedule is insane and it often takes time for veteran QBs on a new team to find their rhythm.

Good points but Rodgers does have the advantage of knowing the system. I think both of the examples above the QBs were playing in new systems.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the equation hasn't changed that much from last year - it's nice that Rodgers is here and all but the Jets aren't putting up 35 PPG all of a sudden

The bills actually could 

That would be something. the jets DL vs their OL feels like as big of a mismatch as the other way around. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Good points but Rodgers does have the advantage of knowing the system. I think both of the examples above the QBs were playing in new systems.

True; should work in our favor. But still a new environment and new players and coaches. 

• Upvote 1

Against a very good team like the Bills I’d be very happy with with a win but content if we just got out of wk 1 unscathed, without any major injuries. 

Even if this team struggled vs the Bills, I’d still have confidence they can turn things around. A devastating injury would be killer however.

• Upvote 1

The amount of scorn teams and players gets from the national media is = to the amount of hype they have gotten from the national media.

They go WAY over board on praise for teams and players before they actually do anything and then dump all over those same teams and players if they do not live up to the hype, that they themselves created.  Most of them are massive band wagoners

If you want to see the true state of any team in this league, the state of their team, their players, their coaches, their GMs go to that teams fan web site, like this one.  Sure there are reactionary fans on both sides of the coin but for the most part fans are FAR more plugged into the team than  a lot of media and give far more honest opinions.

The record after week 1 doesn't matter at all. Other things might, but it's going to be gross over-reaction either way. 

In the 2021 season the Packers were looking Super Bowl bound. First place in in the NFC. 13-3 Record, and so forth. They started the season losing at New Orleans 3-38. Fans and Media: "Oh man, they are done, Rodgers sucks, their season is over." That wasn't the case. They learned from it, adjusted, and had a fantastic season. Now that playoff game against SF, that's another story. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

It occurs to me just how much of two things we're looking at going into Week 1 vs. Buffalo, neither of which has much to do with the team on the field or the course this season will ultimately take:

1. The Fan Power Keg:  Regardless of how this game goes, big win, slim win, slim loss, big loss, the fan reaction is going to be literal fire.  After all the waiting, the massive over-reaction by the fanbase (no, not YOU personally, gentle reader, perhaps, but the fanbase as a whole) is going to be huge.  A big win, and this place will be filled with "We are the Clear Super Bowl Favs" type hype.  A loss, almost any loss, and the doom and gloom amongst us will be spamming "Disaster!" and "MASSIVE OVERPAID FOR THIS??!!!" threads.  There is almost no universe where the reaction is actually appropriate to a single week 1 outcome.  We, as a fanbase, are pretty reactionary as it is, but all the waiting, the hype, the years of piss QB play and disappointment, whew.....stand back, it's gonna be a doozy.

2. The Media Hype/Hate:  Listening to NFL Radio on Sirus this morning, didn't catch who/which host was yapping, but ALREADY they're describing week 1 vs. Buffalo as a "Must win" game for the NY Jets.  Week 1, a must win.  i.e. if we lose, the season is over, after...week 1.  This is the level of baiting, hyping and outright trolling we're going to get all year long from the major sports media, and especially the horrid NY local area sports media, hungry to monetize/profit off the Rodgers era here selling papers and site clicks and Twitter views.  Yes, we have a tough early schedule, but no, gtfoh that week f'ing ONE is a "must win" for the Jets playing a division rival that was a 13 win team last year.  Setting up that kind of expectation is just ridiculous on it's face.

These two factors, a passionate reactionary fanbase, starved for a QB for decades now, tweleve years and counting out of the postseason, that is a massive over-reaction waiting to happen on a normal day, combined with a sports media looking to taunt/troll that fanbase.......post-game Monday night is going to be insane.  Absolutely insane.

I'd say to my friends here, enjoy the game, but maybe hold off afterwards from proclaiming us the best/worst NFL team of the last 100 years, declaring us the Super Bowl winner (in Sept) or declaring that we're going to go down as the worst FA-built team in NFL history.

It's one game.  Just one.  They'll be 16 more after this one.  The season is a marathon, not a week 1 sprint.  Keep calm, and carry on (rooting), and don't be so stupid as to let the media troll you or inflame your passions.  The media is NOT your friend.  And neither is over-reaction.

Just.  One.  Game.  Win or Lose.

Now, if you excuse me......

giphy.gif

I dig, but I am positive that the Jets defense is going to come out of the tunnel craving raw meat and getting plenty of it.  The defensive scheme is not one that takes time to learn.  It is a players defense.  And, they do have the players.  Lots of 'em.  A pile of pass rushers including Q who gets pressure on the inside.  Combine that with CB's that blanket wideouts. Sure, the offense may take a few weeks to synchronize given the line has been shifted here and there. but I guarantee the defense will not dissipoint.

BEEFALO burgers extra rare will be consumed by the Jets defense.  No condiments needed.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

The record after week 1 doesn't matter at all. Other things might, but it's going to be gross over-reaction either way. 

In the 2021 season the Packers were looking Super Bowl bound. First place in in the NFC. 13-3 Record, and so forth. They started the season losing at New Orleans 3-38. Fans and Media: "Oh man, they are done, Rodgers sucks, their season is over." That wasn't the case. They learned from it, adjusted, and had a fantastic season. Now that playoff game against SF, that's another story. 

Tampa Bay had the same record as GB that year.  They had to play a wildcard game and lost to the Rams the following week.  There division losses to NO kept them from being the 1 seed.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Anyone who cares how the board reacts or how the media reacts doesn’t understand the game. 

Huh?  I care about how the board and media react because I'm a member of the community here. 

Come on now.

Same as above.  I’ll be bummed for awhile if they lose game 1 but I don’t believe a game 1 loss ruins the season.

Which was my entire point.  

I agree with everything you said after your first 2 points about this board and the media.  That’s who I was pointing to being “who cares”

As noted, I (and others) care.  

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nobody said losing to the bills at home would mean “nothing”

beating up on strawman arguments looks like so much fun! 

How long have you been an NFL fan?  Every NFL team that losses any week on the schedule gets a press confrence, they get mauled in the daily press up until the Thursday before the next game and the national NFL media, betting sights and fanstasy football sights diaganoses everything until their is more tape from another game.  

Each game 1 of 17 is amazingly important to the standings the final playoff position, gamblers, fantasy football fans and all of us hard core football fans with no other agenda.  The NFL breaks out a super computer in week 14 to start diagnosing the playoff implications of every game.  

I think this is a huge game.  I think you're making excuses before the game has even been played.  No gas all excuses.  Strawman my ass.  You're not even a fan.  You're mariage and your relationship with your kids, employers and friends should be on the line if we lose to the Bills.  You should be on the verge of suicide if we lose to the Bills if your a real Jets fan.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

How long have you been an NFL fan?  Every NFL team that losses any week on the schedule gets a press confrence, they get mauled in the daily press up until the Thursday before the next game and the national NFL media, betting sights and fanstasy football sights diaganoses everything until their is more tape from another game.  

Each game 1 of 17 is amazingly important to the standings the final playoff position, gamblers, fantasy football fans and all of us hard core football fans with no other agenda.  The NFL breaks out a super computer in week 14 to start diagnosing the playoff implications of every game.  

I think this is a huge game.  I think you're making excuses before the game has even been played.  No gas all excuses.  Strawman my ass.  You're not even a fan.  You're mariage and your relationship with your kids, employers and friends should be on the line if we lose to the Bills.  You should be on the verge of suicide if we lose to the Bills if your a real Jets fan.  

Our conversation so far:

me: what’s your favorite color?

you: triangles 

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Challenge: please name one “excuse” that I have made for the Jets. Please also quote the pertinent post for reference. Thanks in advance - I’ll hang up and listen.

Also, maybe you should get another hobby. For the record, I’d blow up all of Florham Park for one of my kids :) 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Huh?  I care about how the board and media react because I'm a member of the community here. 

Come on now.

So am I and they lose I expect the usual response.  But I don’t care because it won’t affect the rest of the season.  Other than this place will be insufferable 

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As noted, I (and others) care. 

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s only 1 game and those that get overly concerned over 1 game game will ruin the board for a week.  
Anyone who has watched the NFL knows there are games you expect to lose that you win and games you win that expected to lose 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

last year's game in November the Jets' D-line combines for 5 sacks, including Huff in the 4th quarter, injures Josh Allen's throwing elbow. Allen throws 2 picks the Jets win 20-17

the game in December, Allen is somewhat more healthy, the D-line doesn't get home as much and the Bills win 20-12

it's awesome they have Rodgers and all but similar to last year it will come down to pass rush getting home. If Allen can be contained they have a chance. But there's a reason why they are home dogs 

fact is the Bills are a very good team, with a possible MVP at QB in his prime - they've been to the last 4 playoffs 

that's what a real contender looks like. Best we can hope for is pass rush takes Allen out of it - cause if he's on and running hard he will put up Madden numbers 

you must be bad at madden if his dec game is all you can do in madden.  

he averaged less than 175 yards in those 2 games against the Jets - dec was his worse game and the first one was his 4th worse.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Our conversation so far:

me: what’s your favorite color?

you: triangles 

Challenge: please name one “excuse” that I have made for the Jets. Please also quote the pertinent post for reference. Thanks in advance - I’ll hang up and listen.

Also, maybe you should get another hobby. For the record, I’d blow up all of Florham Park for one of my kids :) 

The premise of this thread was an excuse if we lose to the Bills.  You have doubled down on it.  This is a huge game for this entire franchise.  Woody bet the farm on Rodgers.  Saleh and Douglas have their asses on the line.  The fans have been watching the Yankees and Mets suck playing boring games while knowing in the back of our minds that football is right around the corner.  

This is Monday night, opening night on Broadway.  The Bills, Howard Cossel, Dandy Don Meridith.  The Jets have the sack exchange and Revis Island, Joe Namath and Don Maynard.  This is going to be a blast.  Lose and were talking dissaster of epic proportions.  

The people on this sight are fanatic Jets fans.  This is what we have been waiting for.  I don't even consider the possability that we could lose this game if were legit.  This game is the easy one. 

I really hate the entire premise of this thread.  

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

read between the lines

their offense is better than ours, their line is better than ours, and so is their QB 

if the Jets pass rush can bring down Allen to Rodgers' level the Jets have a chance 

the equation hasn't changed that much from last year - it's nice that Rodgers is here and all but the Jets aren't putting up 35 PPG all of a sudden

The bills actually could 

how do our defenses compare?

very very unlikely the bills score 35 points.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Californians Reaction GIF

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

It occurs to me just how much of two things we're looking at going into Week 1 vs. Buffalo, neither of which has much to do with the team on the field or the course this season will ultimately take:

1. The Fan Power Keg:  Regardless of how this game goes, big win, slim win, slim loss, big loss, the fan reaction is going to be literal fire.  After all the waiting, the massive over-reaction by the fanbase (no, not YOU personally, gentle reader, perhaps, but the fanbase as a whole) is going to be huge.  A big win, and this place will be filled with "We are the Clear Super Bowl Favs" type hype.  A loss, almost any loss, and the doom and gloom amongst us will be spamming "Disaster!" and "MASSIVE OVERPAID FOR THIS??!!!" threads.  There is almost no universe where the reaction is actually appropriate to a single week 1 outcome.  We, as a fanbase, are pretty reactionary as it is, but all the waiting, the hype, the years of piss QB play and disappointment, whew.....stand back, it's gonna be a doozy.

2. The Media Hype/Hate:  Listening to NFL Radio on Sirus this morning, didn't catch who/which host was yapping, but ALREADY they're describing week 1 vs. Buffalo as a "Must win" game for the NY Jets.  Week 1, a must win.  i.e. if we lose, the season is over, after...week 1.  This is the level of baiting, hyping and outright trolling we're going to get all year long from the major sports media, and especially the horrid NY local area sports media, hungry to monetize/profit off the Rodgers era here selling papers and site clicks and Twitter views.  Yes, we have a tough early schedule, but no, gtfoh that week f'ing ONE is a "must win" for the Jets playing a division rival that was a 13 win team last year.  Setting up that kind of expectation is just ridiculous on it's face.

These two factors, a passionate reactionary fanbase, starved for a QB for decades now, tweleve years and counting out of the postseason, that is a massive over-reaction waiting to happen on a normal day, combined with a sports media looking to taunt/troll that fanbase.......post-game Monday night is going to be insane.  Absolutely insane.

I'd say to my friends here, enjoy the game, but maybe hold off afterwards from proclaiming us the best/worst NFL team of the last 100 years, declaring us the Super Bowl winner (in Sept) or declaring that we're going to go down as the worst FA-built team in NFL history.

It's one game.  Just one.  They'll be 16 more after this one.  The season is a marathon, not a week 1 sprint.  Keep calm, and carry on (rooting), and don't be so stupid as to let the media troll you or inflame your passions.  The media is NOT your friend.  And neither is over-reaction.

Just.  One.  Game.  Win or Lose.

Now, if you excuse me......

giphy.gif

I’ll be carrying a bottle of Champagne in one hand and a flaming bag of poop in the other.

I’m fully prepared for either situation 😂 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The premise of this thread was an excuse if we lose to the Bills.  You have doubled down on it.   

Hmmm. I think we have different definitions of the word “excuse.”

to me, the premise of the thread is that folks (including jets fans) tend to overreact to week 1 and those overreactions will only be intensified by the incredible amount of media scrutiny this team is receiving. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Hmmm. I think we have different definitions of the word “excuse.”

to me, the premise of the thread is that folks (including jets fans) tend to overreact to week 1 and those overreactions will only be intensified by the incredible amount of media scrutiny this team is receiving. 

Nobody is grabbing their assault rifle and heading to Walmart if the Jets loss.  The Bills lose, I can't comment on.  

We will all be dissapointed and react to it.  We will settle down and get ready for next week.  Rinse repeat.  What exactly is over reacting?  I've been reacting to wins and losses for 57 years.  Haven't done anything remotely over the top or seen anything over the top.  

The most over reaction I see here is during game threads.  Theres way to much give up when games are still winable.   Fans want to win.  They hate lossing.  Reacting is normal until it isn't.  

35 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you must be bad at madden if his dec game is all you can do in madden.  

he averaged less than 175 yards in those 2 games against the Jets - dec was his worse game and the first one was his 4th worse.

Ok now look at Aaron Rodgers' stats from last year - both of these guys Allen and Rodgers were playing hurt

What it comes down to, the Bills over looked the Jets the first time last year, they didn't the 2nd time and they certainly won't now 

31 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

how do our defenses compare?

very very unlikely the bills score 35 points.

I agree this will be a low scoring game but in general the Bills will probably score more PPG than the Jets this year. It needs to come from the DLine which is actually somewhat improved with JJ and IV as well as the inside guys like Jefferson and woods 

not saying it's impossible saying the Jets' ability to limit Allen will dictate who wins or loses this game 

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So am I and they lose I expect the usual response.  But I don’t care because it won’t affect the rest of the season.  Other than this place will be insufferable 

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s only 1 game and those that get overly concerned over 1 game game will ruin the board for a week.  
Anyone who has watched the NFL knows there are games you expect to lose that you win and games you win that expected to lose 

I feel like we're talking past each other. 

We agree, one game, win or lose, won't make or break our season.  We agree, this place will be insufferable either way after week 1. 

I'll leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok now look at Aaron Rodgers' stats from last year - both of these guys Allen and Rodgers were playing hurt

What it comes down to, the Bills over looked the Jets the first time last year, they didn't the 2nd time and they certainly won't now 

I agree this will be a low scoring game but in general the Bills will probably score more PPG than the Jets this year. It needs to come from the DLine which is actually somewhat improved with JJ and IV as well as the inside guys like Jefferson and woods 

not saying it's impossible saying the Jets' ability to limit Allen will dictate who wins or loses this game 

The Bills scored 20 points in the second game.  That was their 3rd lowest offensive performance of last year.  The had a 17 point performance against the Jets and a 19 point performance against the Dolphins.  

The second game at home they scored 20 points against us when they were taking us seriously.  

I think it's highly unlikely that the Bills O has a big game against a rested healthy Jets defense.  I think, it's highly unlikely we don't score more points against them this year than last year with a healthy OL and AR at QB.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

agree 100% about your statement on Dline.

They scored 20 points against us - perhaps Allen was still injured during that game.

I am worried about our run defense and our ability to handle screens.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You're arguing with someone who doesn't think there's much difference between Zach Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. My question is this, why?

outside of his horrendous hot takes, he does have some interesting insights.

the big question this year will be AR - if he's in decline like Bit and Fidelo think - it's going to be a tough season.  If he plays better than last year - we should be a good team.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I feel like we're talking past each other. 

We agree, one game, win or lose, won't make or break our season.  We agree, this place will be insufferable either way after week 1. 

I'll leave it at that.

I know, I haven’t disagreed with you.  

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

The 2020 Brady Bucs lost their first game by double digits to the Saints. It was an ugly, clunky performance. They were 7-5 entering December, kinda middling, but hit their stride and won eight straight games to win the Super Bowl. 

The 2012 Manning Broncos were 2-3 to start the season, and then went on to win eleven straight games en route to the number one seed. 

I’m not going to lose my sh*t if we start 3-3, or, gulp, 2-4. This early schedule is insane and it often takes time for veteran QBs on a new team to find their rhythm.

The Jags started 3-7 last year.  Won the division, hosted and won a home playoff game.

There's been a lot of braindead talking head "analysis" on the sports shows. Nick Wright on FS1 stands out, predicting us to finish last this year, saying we were the most overrated 7 win team in NFL history. 6/10 losses were one score games. I think it's fair to say that even just competent, average QB play would have flipped 3 of those 6 to wins. This team was better than its record last year, the QB play made this team perform like it was like running a sprint with ankle weights on. 

• Upvote 1