Greatest/Most important Bands by Decade........

HighPitch

How about some more subjective bickering?

Lets start with the 60's for u oldtimers. Whats the most important/best band by decade? 

I'll start:

60s: The Beatles

70s: The Rolling Stones (possibly the allman bros idk)

80s: The Talking Heads

90s: THE PIXIES even though their best was a lil earlier but they were huge in the 90s and this was a dead dead era

2000's: System Of A Down (and its not even close)

2010's: I dont know. just awful. GOOSE?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

How about some more subjective bickering?

Lets start with the 60's for u oldtimers. Whats the most important/best band by decade? 

I'll start:

60s: The Beatles

70s: The Rolling Stones (possibly the allman bros idk)

80s: The Talking Heads

90s: THE PIXIES even though their best was a lil earlier but they were huge in the 90s and this was a dead dead era

2000's: System Of A Down (and its not even close)

2010's: I dont know. just awful. GOOSE?

90s is Nirvana. 

39 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

For you it’s nirvana. I hate Nirvana for me. It was the pixies. Ironically, Nirvana worship the pixies.

I went back and forth between artists I like and artists with definite importance.  In the 90s, Nirvana (grunge) and Green Day (punk) were the most important bands in that they extracted rock music, in two different ways, from the dreadful hair metal era.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I went back and forth between artists I like and artists with definite importance.  In the 90s, Nirvana (grunge) and Green Day (punk) were the most important bands in that they extracted rock music, in two different ways, from the dreadful hair metal era.  

The best is subjective.

The most importance to me, is Nirvana.   They ushered in an entire new group of music (Grunge Rock).   They aren't even my favorite band, but they changed the music that people were listening to at that time.

12 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The best is subjective.

The most importance to me, is Nirvana.   They ushered in an entire new group of music (Grunge Rock).   They aren't even my favorite band, but they changed the music that people were listening to at that time.

Yep, agree.  I came around on Nirvana long after Cobain died, and still do prefer Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and some others. 

And down a different pathway I feel Green Day did the same important thing with 90s rock. 

• Upvote 2

80s I think you have to give the nod to GnR.

90s are too many to list but gun to head Radiohead. Nirvana had the more impactful singular moment but Radiohead's library from 93 to 2000 is second to none.

2000s belong to TV on the Radio and QOTSA. I'm also partial to Grizzly Bear and it's such a bummer they moved on and don't put out new stuff anymore. Maybe the best live performers I've ever seen.

2010s? Who knows. Odd era for rock. Maybe Tame Impala or something. Deafheaven also killed it. I would personally give the nod to Real Estate but I also realize most don't know who the hell they are. 

So far as the 2010s it seems like everyone has moved on and the good news is the 2020s have been a killer era for metal so far. Lotta younger bands pushing the genre to some very cool places. Turnstile, Spiritbox...etc.

36 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I love bling melon. shannon hoon was one of the best singers in rock if he didnt die he would have been a superstar

Soup is one of my all time favorite studio albums. Love the song Vernie. Thank you @HessStation thank you. I also can't help but wonder if t The Clash needs to be in one of the decades. Would be for me, 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Soup is one of my all time favorite studio albums. Love the song Vernie. Thank you @HessStation thank you. I also can't help but wonder if t The Clash needs to be in one of the decades. Would be for me, 

I would think so.  Their American break through came in the 80s.

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, HighPitch said:

clash had 2 big hits.

then they disappeared

hard hard pass

but i get the sentiment since ive read people gush about that album but i just dont see it

Weren't they the pioneers of Punk Rock?

• Upvote 1

The 70s would have to be Sabbath,  Zep and AC/DC to a large extent. (Sex Pistols too)

The 80s would still be AC/DC and then obviously Dio, Ozzy and Judas Preist. There are others to mention (like Genesis and Peter Gabriel), but I'm short on time.

90s would be Green River who was quite influential of the scene from their work in the late 80s. Tool, Limp Bizkit and Pantera have got to be mentioned here as well.

2000s were when Staind, Flyleaf and Fall Out Boy were huge.

Everything is irrelevant to the almighty Exodus though,   who are the greatest band of all time.