Greatest/Most important Bands by Decade........

HighPitch

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Weren't they the pioneers of Punk Rock?

I would not call them pioneers of punk rock, but they were one of the first so-called punk bands to go mainstream.  They are labelled as a punk band, but in my view they were so much more.  They blended Jamaican reggae/ska rhythms, mixed in some hip/hop to create a much more advanced sound than you would associate with punk rock. 

I do think they deserve mention as one of the more influential bands of the late 70s/early 80s.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

No they werent. Its not even close. tons of punk bands before them chargedgbh the dead kennedys there are hundreds

Calm Down Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

Maybe it is misremembering.  I know their US success was over a short period, but thought it had more of an impact.  

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

No they werent. Its not even close. tons of punk bands before them chargedgbh the dead kennedys there are hundreds

Think they helped in bringing it mainstream with couple radio hits. For me it was early 80’s I saw The Who  twice, David Johansen opened once and The Clash open the other. Been listening to punk ever since. Might just be me? Haha. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Think they helped in bringing it mainstream with couple radio hits. For me it was early 80’s I saw The Who  twice, David Johansen opened once and The Clash open the other. Been listening to punk ever since. Might just be me? Haha. 

yes if your talking about "bringing it to the mainstream" then yes. But punk enthusiasts would argue its NOT punk. Just like Green Day. But I dont care for punk so what do I know although I like the dead kennedys

On 9/7/2023 at 3:39 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

20s Lovebites

The modern power metal stuff isn't exactly my bag but I do respect the pageantry of it.

I really do think this decade belongs to Turnstile so far. The problem with rock today is that it's split into so many different genres with the synth and chillwave stuff so it's hard to give any one artist the stamp. But I think if you're looking for a special band that's peaking at the right time it's those guys. 

• Upvote 1

Such a hard thing to do and I hate it but since so many seem to be doing the same old same old so…

60s - Bod Dylan

70s - Bowie 

80s - Prince 

90s - Beastie Boys 

hard to pick influential or important from here 

00s - TV on the Radio 

10 - I wish it was the Idles but it’s probably Taylor Swift or some sh*t 

3 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Not their best effort LOL

Persona Non Grata is a masterpiece though, which is encouraging for the future.

BTW have you heard the band Hrmulja from Croatia? Awesome stuff. 

Agreed on PNG, but I'm one of the few out there who loves Force of Habit. I still believe if they'd ditched the two cover versions, and put a different cover instead of that abomination, that album would have done far better. And yeah, still wanting to see them play Feeding Time At the Zoo live at some point.

Never heard of Hrmulja, I'll have a look.

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:38 PM, chirorob said:

The best is subjective.

The most importance to me, is Nirvana.   They ushered in an entire new group of music (Grunge Rock).   They aren't even my favorite band, but they changed the music that people were listening to at that time.

I remember way back when reading an article about grunge and Nirvana ushering it in.  Some famous exec was saying that all the kids were disillusioned and not getting what they wanted.  Between the hair bands and everything else.  He said that Nirvana showed them they could want something different and that what they wanted was Pearl Jam.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember way back when reading an article about grunge and Nirvana ushering it in.  Some famous exec was saying that all the kids were disillusioned and not getting what they wanted.  Between the hair bands and everything else.  He said that Nirvana showed them they could want something different and that what they wanted was Pearl Jam.  

*pfarl

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2023 at 10:11 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

80s I think you have to give the nod to GnR.

90s are too many to list but gun to head Radiohead. Nirvana had the more impactful singular moment but Radiohead's library from 93 to 2000 is second to none.

2000s belong to TV on the Radio and QOTSA. I'm also partial to Grizzly Bear and it's such a bummer they moved on and don't put out new stuff anymore. Maybe the best live performers I've ever seen.

2010s? Who knows. Odd era for rock. Maybe Tame Impala or something. Deafheaven also killed it. I would personally give the nod to Real Estate but I also realize most don't know who the hell they are. 

So far as the 2010s it seems like everyone has moved on and the good news is the 2020s have been a killer era for metal so far. Lotta younger bands pushing the genre to some very cool places. Turnstile, Spiritbox...etc.

Radiohead probably also gets my 90s vote, but Tom Petty can make a very strong case here too.

Wildflowers is an epic, top 5 album of all time in my book. Into the Great Wide Open (91), She's the One (96), Echo (99) also that decade. Hard for any artist to match those 4 albums in that decade. Radiohead had 3. I think OK Computer can match closely to Wildflowers, but the other 3 vs 2 is a gap.

42 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Radiohead probably also gets my 90s vote, but Tom Petty can make a very strong case here too.

Wildflowers is an epic, top 5 album of all time in my book. Into the Great Wide Open (91), She's the One (96), Echo (99) also that decade. Hard for any artist to match those 4 albums in that decade. Radiohead had 3. I think OK Computer can match closely to Wildflowers, but the other 3 vs 2 is a gap.

I think my issue with Petty is his definitive work is a library of singles that are exhaustive and amazing but I don’t think he has one or two definitive albums. Arguably his best track is a single off his greatest hits compilation. 

Then again I’m not sure if albums should be the arbitrary unit of measurement considering it’s so artificial. Whatever. Petty rocks. 

On 9/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I think my issue with Petty is his definitive work is a library of singles that are exhaustive and amazing but I don’t think he has one or two definitive albums. Arguably his best track is a single off his greatest hits compilation. 

Then again I’m not sure if albums should be the arbitrary unit of measurement considering it’s so artificial. Whatever. Petty rocks. 

I miss him so much

• Sympathy 1

Time to give The Clash their due...

:-)

Seriously, though, it's really hard to pick just one act per decade and in all of music or rock music.  So, I'll narrow to "alternative" rock artists that were edgy by the standards of their day, great and had a huge influence on other artists

50's - hard to not go with Elvis, whatever the criteria

60's - the Velvet Underground -- Lou Reed starts here. Yes, of course, the Beatles and the Stones were really big and influential

70's - Ramones/Sex Pistols

80's - The Clash/Beastie Boys -- the Clash are really split between the 70's and 80's, but London Calling (recorded in 1979), came out in the US in 1980 and really opened up "punk rock" to all kinds of influences and subgenres

90's - Fugazi/Drive Like Jehu -- two very influential bands in "post hardcore" experimentation

On 9/6/2023 at 6:15 PM, nj meadowlands said:

I went back and forth between artists I like and artists with definite importance.  In the 90s, Nirvana (grunge) and Green Day (punk) were the most important bands in that they extracted rock music, in two different ways, from the dreadful hair metal era.  

What about Pearl Jam