Zach is THE Starter

Dunnie

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If you think someone like brissett is the answer to the season, i don’t know what to say.  The team is not winning anything with someone like him.  They’re only going deep in the playoffs with a real qb that can really only be found in the draft, like KC/cincy/buffalo/jax/chargers have done recently.  

We're not looking for an "answer" at QB right now.  We're looking for someone who can throw simple passes to Garrett Wilson without getting him injured.  Its a low bar to clear.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Team is talented, they have their first round pick so you sign a vet qb draft another and move on with this team.  No need to can the coach and gm b/c rodgers tore something, and wilson is simply a sunk cost that is going to go away after this season.  But that doesn’t mean you blow this up, the roster is good. 

Conversely, say Saleh is true to his word and opts to play Wilson all season and the team finishes 6-11, 7-10 and Rodgers retires. Do you: 1. Give Saleh another QB and hope this turns out differently in year four, or 2. Fire Saleh and go into a coaching search offering up an elite young defense, some core skills guys on offense, and the 10th(?) overall pick with the chance to pick your own QB? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Extremely low bar.  

It's not about how far the Jets can go in the playoffs this year.  That's over and done with.  It's about doing right by a super talented roster and getting the most out of this season. 

Zach Wilson losing games on his own and causing everyone to stop caring is the end result if no changes are made.  Its not an option.  Abysmal QB brings everyone down.  The defense stops trying because...what's the point?  People start making business decisions.  Some guys look to get out.  The HC goes on the hot seat.  It's a bad situation for everyone.  Don't believe me?  It pretty much just happened.  Last season.  Are you good with running that back?

That level of frustration and dysfunction doesn't happen if we get someone respected under center.  And yes, a guy like Jacoby Brissett qualifies.  @dbatesman

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Conversely, say Saleh is true to his word and opts to play Wilson all season and the team finishes 6-11, 7-10 and Rodgers retires. Do you: 1. Give Saleh another QB and hope this turns out differently in year four, or 2. Fire Saleh and go into a coaching search offering up an elite young defense, some core skills guys on offense, and the 10th(?) overall pick with the chance to pick your own QB? 

Doubt that happens b/c saleh already benched him last year.  The question is, can they find someone competent to run the offense so that when wilson plays like he does, and they lose bad, they have someone else to put in?  Even with a guy like brissett, there’s no guarantee they make the playoffs anyway and could still wind up with a top 15 pick and a new qb and they still get to say they tried.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not about how far the Jets can go in the playoffs this year.  That's over and done with.  It's about doing right by a super talented roster and getting the most out of this season. 

Zach Wilson losing games on his own and causing everyone to stop caring is the end result if no changes are made.  Its not an option.  Abysmal QB brings everyone down.  The defense stops trying because...what's the point?  People start making business decisions.  Some guys look to get out.  The HC goes on the hot seat.  It's a bad situation for everyone. 

None of that happens if we get someone respected under center.  And yes, a guy like Jacoby Brissett qualifies.  @dbatesman

I think we may see this, where the jets bring in a vet who will ultimately ‘tutor’ the rookie next year after wilson is jettisoned and rodgers retires.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I think we may see this, where the jets bring in a vet who will ultimately ‘tutor’ the rookie next year after wilson is jettisoned and rodgers retires.  

I also have a Door # 2:  Acquire Davis Mills, who may well be a guy you can run back out there as the starter in 2024.  Draft a QB in the middle rounds.

Also not ideal but its an option.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If you think someone like brissett is the answer to the season, i don’t know what to say.  The team is not winning anything with someone like him.  They’re only going deep in the playoffs with a real qb that can really only be found in the draft, like KC/cincy/buffalo/jax/chargers have done recently.  

Sadly, I think we're a fraud of a team as far as any "deep run into the playoffs" type aspirations are concerned.  Possibly we can sneak into a wildcard if we get a guy like Brissett (or if ZW takes a big leap forward).

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s no way. They already demonstrated last year that they can pull the trigger on him and it’s arguable that Wilson looked worse yesterday than he did for the majority of last season. Saleh knows what’s on the line this year. No way he lets Zach Wilson continue to **** up his program. 

if we lose vs Dallas i still think they give him the NE game only cause we will be 1-1. then no matter what he would get the KC game cause its on short rest Thursday night.

if Saleh really cared about whats on the line this year he would have had a better backup than Zach. 

i just think we wont be able to trade for a Bissett or anyone else worth it. whatever we can get i think they will just say we might as well ride with Zach.

you know im one of the biggest Zach killers here, its not that i think Zach is a good QB. i think he is the biggest bust to ever play 23 games. i just have no faith that Saleh and JD will give up on this kid just yet. not after one start. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zach Wilson losing games on his own and causing everyone to stop caring is the end result if no changes are made.  Its not an option.  Abysmal QB brings everyone down.  The defense stops trying because...what's the point?  People start making business decisions.  Some guys look to get out.  The HC goes on the hot seat.  It's a bad situation for everyone.  Don't believe me?  It pretty much just happened.  Last season.  Are you good with running that back?

That level of frustration and dysfunction doesn't happen if we get someone respected under center.  And yes, a guy like Jacoby Brissett qualifies.  @dbatesman

Doesn’t it feel like Douglas tempted the fates by not doing the right thing and bringing in a real backup? Like, Rodgers wouldn’t be injured right now if the Jets just went out and sign Minshew to back up Rodgers. But because they tried to be both arrogant and sneaky about it by fluffing Wilson all summer, the football gods were like “oh word mother****ers?”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

if we lose vs Dallas i still think they give him the NE game only cause we will be 1-1. then no matter what he would get the KC game cause its on short rest Thursday night.

if Saleh really cared about whats on the line this year he would have had a better backup than Zach. 

i just think we wont be able to trade for a Bissett or anyone else worth it. whatever we can get i think they will just say we might as well ride with Zach.

you know im one of the biggest Zach killers here, its not that i think Zach is a good QB. i think he is the biggest bust to ever play 23 games. i just have no faith that Saleh and JD will give up on this kid just yet. not after one start. 

If Wilson plays poorly against Dallas I would not start him against New England. The track record is very bad:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/zach-wilson-vs.-patriots-stats

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

They already gave up on Zach Wilson multiple times! Very publicly! 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

so ... Zach loses to the D that just shutout the Gmen, then loses to one of the best ever coaches and you want to bench him ? I think its more about HOW he loses if there is a loss.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would only do 2 if the defense quits and looks bad and loses the rest of the team. 
Otherwise what’s the point? Just to have another regime maybe pick a good QB?

IMO-Saleh and JD know how to construct a good roster. And have done so for the most part. They’ve just failed to land a QB. It’s not for a lack of trying. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

so ... Zach loses to the D that just shutout the Gmen, then loses to one of the best ever coaches and you want to bench him ? I think its more about HOW he loses if there is a loss.

i agree. i was telling you all that Zach sucked last year even though he was 5-1 cause of the way he played.

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You’re arguing on behalf of a kid who was beat out by noted rugby superstar Chris Streveler during a playoff race last year. Let’s realize what we’re dealing with here. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I would only do 2 if the defense quits and looks bad and loses the rest of the team. 

IMO-Saleh and JD know how to construct a good roster. And have done so for the most part. They’ve just failed to land a QB. It’s not for a lack of trying. 

Having so many high 1st round picks really helped with that destruction….I mean construction…

So I guess they key to construction is to be 1 of the 5 worst teams in nfl for as many years as possible….AMIRIGHT

13 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

It will be a minor miracle if ZW starts all season and the defense doesn’t wage an all-out mutiny. 

You heard Buck allude to this last night. It was RARE what happened last year w/the defense not turning on the offense. It won’t happen again this time around. Too much talent. Too much pride. Too many competitive guys who want to win and win big on that side of the ball. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

It won’t take long to figure out how long ZW will be QB for. Getting past Dallas then NE are basically his audition. 

This kid gets more auditions than any pro athlete in history. It’s his third freaking year!!! He’s not a rookie. We don’t need to see another audition. We needed a real backup quarterback signed in the offseason. It’s a massive joke. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think what people are missing about Zach Wilson is that he’s fundamentally incapable of handling pass rush pressure. He hasn’t gotten any better at it and he won’t get better at it because he’s a physically tiny mush who doesn’t like contact. As such, defense can blitz him, he’ll sh*t his pants, and give the game away. It’s like having a batter on your team that can’t hit the breaking ball. If you put him up to bat, the opposing pitcher is simply going to throw breaking balls, and that batter is going to be out. It’s a fatal flaw.

What QB likes contact?  He took a shot and got bent in half that should have been a personal foul penalty because as the game wore on he did a better job of hanging in the pocket and allowing plays to develop. 

Rodgers was lost because he didn't have time to throw the ball.

Wilson came in off the bench without any prep during the practice week, and in the second half, with adjustments made, he actually played pretty darn good and his stats and the team performance reflect that.

I get that some of you hate Zach, and he deserved much of the criticism he's gotten, especially for last year, but with a healthy offensive line and Hall last year, this team was 7-3 under Wilson. It's obvious Rodgers and Hackett have been positive in his development and maturation.

We should all be rooting for him, I think he will benefit from having Rodgers at his side this season and I think Rodgers will do all that he can to help him and the team. Let it play out!

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

It’s borderline felony assault by JD on Jets fans to make us watch another season of ZW under center. I can’t ******* believe this sh*t is still happening. It’s a colossal joke and made even worse because we have so many other star players all over the field. How does a team keep doing this to its fans!?!? 

• Upvote 2

“It's not about how far the Jets can go in the playoffs this year.  That's over and done with.”

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not about how far the Jets can go in the playoffs this year.  That's over and done with.    @dbatesman

You’re not off base and this why I try not to get too sucked in as a fan each season.  Unavoidable this year.  How could you not buy into the hype?

incredible ..tragic ..turn of events after just a few minutes of play in the very first game.  Still hard to believe.

However..being so emotionally invested in this season..it may be irrational, but, I can’t just give up after game 1..(and a win at that).  Don’t think we’ll beat the Boys, but if we do with Zach playing well - surprisingly.. this board will come alive with hope again.  

14 minutes ago, DireJet said:

This kid gets more auditions than any pro athlete in history. It’s his third freaking year!!! He’s not a rookie. We don’t need to see another audition. We needed a real backup quarterback signed in the offseason. It’s a massive joke. 

In the old days..the belief was it typically takes 5 years for a QB to develop, start.. and be at his best.

we know that’s not true anymore..but hoping ZW is an modern outlier and he ‘finds it’ in just his 3rd season.  Odds are long..but not impossible.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DireJet said:

It’s borderline felony assault by JD on Jets fans to make us watch another season of ZW under center. I can’t ******* believe this sh*t is still happening. It’s a colossal joke and made even worse because we have so many other star players all over the field. How does a team keep doing this to its fans!?!? 

dorian-hurricane.gif

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Doesn’t it feel like Douglas tempted the fates by not doing the right thing and bringing in a real backup? Like, Rodgers wouldn’t be injured right now if the Jets just went out and sign Minshew to back up Rodgers. But because they tried to be both arrogant and sneaky about it by fluffing Wilson all summer, the football gods were like “oh word mother****ers?”

Yes