Why Was Sanchez Yelling For The Jets To NOT Score?!!

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That is normally true. But Zach Wilson has worst red zone % in NFL history. Knowing the jets wouldn’t risk letting him throw there, they would stack the run and FG would be likely.

Yup, and our D was playing lights out.  I was behind the score 100%.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Larz said:

it was after the 2 minute warning. I think that makes a YOOG difference

You’re ok with a 1 point lead and the eagles have a minute to go? I’m not 

surely you’re not assuming a TD on 3rd and goal. 

It’s a likely win either way.  

I’ll take a FG from the 10 with 3 seconds left as a higher percentage play than defending the full field with 1:40 and a timeout.   But no biggie 

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's pretty universal that you should down it at the one, burn the clock down, then score the TD or FG, so the opponent (down in this case by only 6) has as little a chance as possible to score their own TD in the time left.  Announcers will raise this every single time the situation arises, and while technically right, it's a mindset I personally have never believed it myself.

Basically Jets up by 1 with 10-20 seconds left is presumed to be better than the Jets up by 5 (or 6) with almost 2 minutes left.  Or so conventional NFL wisdom would say.

Eagles would have the ball back with 45 seconds left, not 10 seconds

9 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

In retrospect, scoring was the correct decision. If we had our defense from two years ago, you kneel at the one and kick the FG on 4th down. The Eagles were not scoring on this defense. This defense defending a lead is dangerous.

Defense is nasty, but also susceptible to personal foul penalties and pass interference with all the new guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Hal said:

It’s a likely win either way.  

I’ll take a FG from the 10 with 3 seconds left as a higher percentage play than defending the full field with 1:40 and a timeout.   But no biggie 

Philly would have the ball back, down 1 with 45 seconds left. Do the math.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

The right move would have been to take a knee at the 1 yard line. That would have forced the eagles to use a time out or at worst the Jets could have taken time off the clock with 2 plays from the 1 to score a TD.

makes sense?

It's not the right call because the Jets could not get a second 2nd down. Basically it's a choice between a FG with a min left and no TOs only needing a FG or 1:42 with 2 TOs having to get a TD. You win more often in the second situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Xtina said:

He was trying so hard all game long to prove how oh do football smart he is. He sounded like he was a at a party trying to impress.
He was also dissing  G Wilson at the very begin the game but I missed the gist of it. Anybody catch that? Something about padding stats?

he can take his salmon and go home 

Sanchez had his head so far up Hurts' azz he couldn't stop himself... talking about his uncanny arm and leg strength..his atheliticsm..his smarts and his slipperiness... show some love to the Jets D....who actually were responsible for the W...

• Upvote 3

It's not the right call because the Jets could not get a second 2nd down. Basically it's a choice between a FG with a min left and no TOs only needing a FG or 1:42 with 2 TOs having to get a TD. You win more often in the second situation.

Exactly, now if the Eagles had no timeouts, then you take a knee a few times and kick the game winner with 3 seconds left. Jets couldn’t stop at the 1, force 2 timeouts and then automatically assume they would score on 3rd down. Philly would of sold out on the 3rd down and then we would of had to kick on 4th. Philly would of had around a minute to get in FG range which would of beat us. When they lay down,take the TD

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Dupe said:

With this offense you take the touchdown.  I’m glad you guys are pointing out that to do otherwise is nuts.  

Sanchez should be ripping Philly for passing on 3rd and 9 with 1:46 left, and the Jets with no times out!! Horrible decision. Give ZW the ball inside the 20 with less than 50 seconds left and let him try to beat you! 

• Upvote 1

I agree with what most people are saying.  Once the Eagles have it on their 25, given the choice between

1. Jets up 6, 1:40 to go, Eagles have 2 TOs

2. Jets up 1, :45 or :50 to go, Eagles have no TOs

I *much* prefer (1).  Time isn't really the issue in either case.  It's a question of the D needing a stop.  And as someone pointed out, 1 PI call and the eagles are in FG range, but a TD is tough...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It was the right move to score the TD.  It is better to force a team to score a TD with 1:45 left and two timeouts to win than to up be up by 1 with a minute left and no timeouts.  Elliot has a strong leg and the Jets were down 3 CBs.  One pass play and the Eagles are kicking for the win. It only makes sense to not score if you can end the game with a FG or kick with so little time left that the game is effectively over.  

The Eagles has not scored in the second half. Why give them the ability to win with a FG?  I don't think this is even debatable.

Sanchez was relentless... but never said a word about the Eagles play call on the Tony Adams INT, Talk about clock management malpractice!!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Really, Jets said:

Philly would have the ball back, down 1 with 45 seconds left. Do the math.

1 timeout.  1 min 40.   4 plays.   It’s legal to take a knee.  

So say takes a knee.  Eagles Time out.  2nd down.  Clock stopped at 1min 38.    

knee - 2 seconds play.   Can run the clock to 54 seconds.   Kicking team getting ready on the sidelines.  

knee.   Take it to the delay of game.   14 seconds.  

FG runs 2 or 3 seconds.   Kickoff for a touchback.   Eagles have 10-14 seconds with no timeouts.  They’d need a big play and to get to the line in time to clock it.  A 35 yard play - MAYBE they could do it.  

More fun to score it and defend with the way they were playing I guess lol.   High percentage either way.  

EDIT - did they have 2 time outs? I guess the score is the way to go then.  

Just now, Hal said:

1 timeout.  1 min 40.   4 plays.   It’s legal to take a knee.  

So say takes a knee.  Eagles Time out.  2nd down.  Clock stopped at 1min 38.    

knee - 2 seconds play.   Can run the clock to 54 seconds.   Kicking team getting ready on the sidelines.  

knee.   Take it to the delay of game.   14 seconds.  

FG runs 2 or 3 seconds.   Kickoff for a touchback.   Eagles have 10-14 seconds with no timeouts.  They’d need a big play and to get to the line in time to clock it.  A 35 yard play - MAYBE they could do it.  

More fun to score it and defend with the way they were playing I guess lol.   High percentage either way.  

You are incorrect. Philly had 2 TOs left after the Adams INT.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Really, Jets said:

Is he serious?!! First and goal from the 8, and trailing 14-12... Do you really want to kick a FG and give Philly the ball back w 45 seconds left, needing a FG to win? Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure there is disagreement.

The Eagles have two timeouts.  The Jets can run around a bit kill the clock, force them to use their timeouts, and take the clock down to less than 45 seconds.  Kick the field goal.  

Doesn't matter, they won. 

15 minutes ago, Really, Jets said:

Sanchez should be ripping Philly for passing on 3rd and 9 with 1:46 left, and the Jets with no times out!! Horrible decision. Give ZW the ball inside the 20 with less than 50 seconds left and let him try to beat you! 

Why is no one talking about this?  If Saleh did this and we subsequently lost the game we'd be killing him.  All philly had to do was run the ball and Jets get the ball relatively deep in their own end with no timeouts.  That was bad coaching.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, raffyD said:

Why is no one talking about this?  If Saleh did this and we subsequently lost the game we'd be killing him.  All philly had to do was run the ball and Jets get the ball relatively deep in their own end with no timeouts.  That was bad coaching.

I said a silent prayer to Jesus that Hurts would throw the ball. Jesus must have thought I asked for an INT. Horrid play calling.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Jets were right.

Eagles and Sanchez were wrong.

The correct move for the Eagles was to stop the clock twice and force a FG. They would have received the ball back with at least 45 seconds left and only down 1.

Since it was first and goal, the Jets were unable to pick up a first down and run out the clock. And they absolutely should not risk not scoring the TD by taking a knee at the 1.

The Eagles having two timeouts instead of zero or one made all the difference in the correct strategy to take.

You

are 

geniius

If Eagles had zero time outs, you take three knees and let the kicker win it on a time expiring FG. If you don’t have trust in your kicker to make a 25 years chip shot, you might as well stop playing football altogether, not just the NFL. 

But today, it was a no man’s landing type of a spot. Can’t run out the clock and a TD meant you could afford to give couple of big plays and still not be worried about losing as long as you can guard the EZ. 

Announcers were killing the CS but I’m glad Breece took it to the house (helps he’s on my fantasy team as well). 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's pretty universal that you should down it at the one, burn the clock down, then score the TD or FG, so the opponent (down in this case by only 6) has as little a chance as possible to score their own TD in the time left.  Announcers will raise this every single time the situation arises, and while technically right, it's a mindset I personally have never believed it myself.

Basically Jets up by 1 with 10-20 seconds left is presumed to be better than the Jets up by 5 (or 6) with almost 2 minutes left.  Or so conventional NFL wisdom would say.

It’s universal if the eagles have fewer than 2 timeouts,  but with two timeouts, they can actually get the ball back with a little under a minute left only needing a FG. 

you definitely take the TD there, IMO

Its not even a debate - you take the TD there and take the lead. The Eagles had 2 timeouts so the Jets could only run the clock once - so if the Jets went run run run then attempt the field goal which was very likely the Eagles get the ball back at the 25 with around 1 min left. They would need only 35-40 yards in 1 min to have a game winning FG attempt - that's a lot easier than going 75 yards to score a TD in 1:40. Plus a score is a score. Unless stopping at the 1 ends the game you take the TD.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I see both sides of it.

Personally?  I’m wasting the clock…but I get the aggression and trusting the defense to not give up a TD.

I guess I could see both sides, but to me, at the end of the day:

I prefer being up by 6 with a little less than 2 minutes left over being up by only 1 with maybe 45 seconds left, regardless of how many timeouts my opponent has left. 

i personally think the jets did the right thing 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Jets were right.

Eagles and Sanchez were wrong.

The correct move for the Eagles was to stop the clock twice and force a FG. They would have received the ball back with at least 45 seconds left and only down 1.

Since it was first and goal, the Jets were unable to pick up a first down and run out the clock. And they absolutely should not risk not scoring the TD by taking a knee at the 1.

The Eagles having two timeouts instead of zero or one made all the difference in the correct strategy to take.

Agree completely 

Just now, slimjasi said:

I guess I could see both sides, but to me, at the end of the day:

I prefer being up by 6 with a little less than 2 minutes left over being up by only 1 with maybe 45 seconds left, regardless of how many timeouts my opponent has left. 

i personally think the jets did the right thing 

I agree but note it’s not either/or.

You could also be up 6 in the down it at the one scenario. Getting it in from the one is hard, not impossible. Like Moog says, I can see both arguments.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree but note it’s not either/or.

You could also be up 6 in the down it at the one scenario. Getting it in from the one is hard, not impossible. Like Moog says, I can see both arguments.

But if you go down on the one and then score on the next play (2nd and goal), almost no extra time runs off (and they burned one of their timeouts). If you score on the play after that (3rd and goal), you made them burn another timeout (but again, very little extra time has run off). If you don’t score on 3rd and goal, you are kicking on 4th down and they are out of timeouts with under a minute left. 

Basically, either you score right away anyway or you make them use their timeouts, kick a FG, and then are trying to defend a 1 point lead with  a little less than a minute on the clock. 

I like taking the TD - I think being up 6 there was huge 

4 hours ago, Really, Jets said:

Is he serious?!! First and goal from the 8, and trailing 14-12... Do you really want to kick a FG and give Philly the ball back w 45 seconds left, needing a FG to win? Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure there is disagreement.

Yikes...

The idea is that you kick the field goal and win the game in the final seconds of the game.

Not give the other team 45 seconds.

The smart play would have been to run out the clock and kick a field goal.