NFL offense worst since 2000-Offense way down across the league

I think a lot of the reason is b/c these defensive players are so fast and athletic they’re so hard to block.  The OL aren’t built like them and they have to resort to holding and lunging.  Qbs like purdy will succeed b/c they can get rid of the ball quickly and are accurate on the shorter throws which is often what qbs have.  

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

HCs know more about football than anyone on this board.

Knowing about and knowing how to Coach during the 60 minutes of game play are 2 entirely different things.

Most 10 year old avid Madden players are better at in game coaching that actual NFL coaches it’s mind blowing TBH.

• WTF? 1

11 hours ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-overhang-nfl-scoring-is-down-and-offenses-have-been-sputtering-and-heres-why-130059011.html

I think the main culprit for this is how bad the offensive line play & pass protection is across the NFL. 

This is it, spot on. The new CBAs that have taken away training camp and practice time have stunted the skill quality development for OL more than any other position/unit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Funny I’ve found the game more exciting the last year or so with the emergence of better defensive performances.

Eh.  I really don't think its significantly better defense.  Just sloppier offense due to weaker OL play.  Nearly every team is one OL injury away from disaster, it seems.

Defenses have indeed tried to adjust of late and are getting faster, though, so that's something for sure.  But that's been going on for several years now.  I don't think that's the main reason for the terrible play on offense THIS season.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

QB play is top heavy.

Most HC’s are morons.

Most HC's are morons that's 100 % correct. People fail to realize this is just a sport its not rocket science ...you can watch all the film you want see what works for other teams and incorporate that into a scheme very easily yet these guys make it sound like only they can perform this amazing task. That and being a really good motivator is what makes a winner. Just look at the Detroit Lions, Dan Campbell has that team ready to play every week and they usually blind side teams early then you look at the Ravens who happen to have one of the smarter rare HC's in the NFL and they were ready for it this week. Smart will always win out over physical.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Most HC's are morons that's 100 % correct. People fail to realize this is just a sport its not rocket science ...you can watch all the film you want see what works for other teams and incorporate that into a scheme very easily yet these guys make it sound like only they can perform this amazing task. That and being a really good motivator is what makes a winner. Just look at the Detroit Lions, Dan Campbell has that team ready to play every week and they usually blind side teams early then you look at the Ravens who happen to have one of the smarter rare HC's in the NFL and they were ready for it this week. Smart will always win out over physical.

Ehh, if you gave the smartest HC a division II college team and put them up against an Adam Gase led 1st team all pro team, I doubt the division II team would win. There is a large element of strength and good players that is needed, and if a smart HC doesn't have a good team it won't go anywhere. You need a mix of smart and strong to really be effective.

This is it, spot on. The new CBAs that have taken away training camp and practice time have stunted the skill quality development for OL more than any other position/unit.
Interesting point but it's funny as it seems as if holding is basically allowed on every play... you think that would balance some of the bad ol play

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, frankiepapa said:

Interesting point but it's funny as it seems as if holding is basically allowed on every play... you think that would balance some of the bad ol play

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter if your entire OL is 3rd string because of injuries

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh.  I really don't think its significantly better defense.  Just sloppier offense due to weaker OL play.  Nearly every team is one OL injury away from disaster, it seems.

Defenses have indeed tried to adjust of late and are getting faster, though, so that's something for sure.  But that's been going on for several years now.  I don't think that's the main reason for the terrible play on offense THIS season.

The DL are too athletic for the OL now.  You can’t just have big bodies on the OL and protect the qb

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Has nothing at all to do with various positions like OL play same amount of injuries and talent exist on the OL as they do at other positions. Example the Jets lost all 4 of their top D Backs vs the best offense in football over the past 2 years and they won the game with 4 INT's go figure.

Defenses have leaned how to attack at the LOS and make it much harder for OL to succeed. To that point OC's will have to adapt and figure out better schemes to adjust . The better coaches will but they are the outliers and at that stage then the league will follow suit along with the Idiotic NFL over adjusting to generate more offense and then the flood gates will open up yet again.

This happens all the time in the NFL since they really started adjusting to the business end of things in the late 70's early 80's with the emergence of Air Coryell and Bill Walsh's WCO Defenses finally adapted and the NFL stepped in and made changes. The Pats were mugging WR's all over the field and poster boy Peyton Manning had major problems in stepped the NFL once again to make it easy for WR's and QB's . 

We are in the early phases of the next bullsh*t cycle of the NFL and you can bet when the owners meet they will make changes.

EDIT: also keep in Mind @Jetsfan80 the DL's are now going with complete rotations to keep players fresh you can not do that with an Offensive Line its just not feasible at that position since they need to build as  a unit . This seriously favors the DL by a wide margin and its on display with the Jets who are destroying teams in the second half with Fresh interchangeable Defensive lineman.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Hex said:

Ehh, if you gave the smartest HC a division II college team and put them up against an Adam Gase led 1st team all pro team, I doubt the division II team would win. There is a large element of strength and good players that is needed, and if a smart HC doesn't have a good team it won't go anywhere. You need a mix of smart and strong to really be effective.

That's a bit of a far fetched comparison . I can guarantee you in an even physical match up the smarter HC will win more often than not. Motivation also plays a part. How many times have we seen the best teams in the NFL get there asses handed to them by a much lesser team ? Answer is it happens all the time and it could be any number of reasons that I wont bother getting into. 

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Has nothing at all to do with various positions like OL play same amount of injuries and talent exist on the OL as they do at other positions. Example the Jets lost all 4 of their top D Backs vs the best offense in football over the past 2 years and they won the game with 4 INT's go figure.

That doesn't really help your case.  We won that game with a less than stellar secondary in large part because we got pressure on Hurts.  And didn't Lane Johnson get banged up midgame?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I see it.  Still supports my side of the argument, no?  OL play/strategy has remained static at best while EDGE play has become dynamic.  I.E. weak OL play is the main or at least 1a/1b culprit for weaker offense.

Nope it does not support your side because there are always variables in the NFL and  you must adapt. Positions in the NFL do not suffer across the board changing the game at all not even in the least. Its all about scheme and adaptation . Smart coaches adapt fast others just lose their jobs. How many steady long term coaches are there in the NFL that stay with the same team ?

I see what your saying and if you apply everything to the concept of the OL that's fine but you can't adapt to teams with 10 Dl that rotate out its just never going to happen. Its fresh players vs tired players but like everything else either the League will step in or the smarter OL coaches and HC's will come up with something

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When I first read this I was thinking you were making it more about the actual players but in your posts following this you made it more clear there are numerous effects and with that I agree 100 % .

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That doesn't really help your case.  We won that game with a less than stellar secondary in large part because we got pressure on Hurts.  And didn't Lane Johnson get banged up midgame?

Not only did Lane Johnson get hurt early, but it was Jermaine Johnson II who was mostly lined up against his replacement.

That play where JJ hit Hurts' arm, causing an INT, might not have happened otherwise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

That's a bit of a far fetched comparison . I can guarantee you in an even physical match up the smarter HC will win more often than not. Motivation also plays a part. How many times have we seen the best teams in the NFL get there asses handed to them by a much lesser team ? Answer is it happens all the time and it could be any number of reasons that I wont bother getting into. 

Well of course in an even physical match up the smarter HC will more often win. That's common sense. It's the exact same thing as saying in a matchup with even smarts, the more physical team would win. That isn't what you were saying though. Your claim was that smarts would always win over physical. I say Josh Allen is a better player than Chad Pennington, even though Pennington is clearly the smarter player. In the same way, yes, smarter HCs help teams in games more, and an HC who isn't very smart will limit a good roster. That is true. However, it doesn't matter what HC is coaching if the roster is trash.

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Well of course in an even physical match up the smarter HC will more often win. That's common sense. It's the exact same thing as saying in a matchup with even smarts, the more physical team would win. That isn't what you were saying though. Your claim was that smarts would always win over physical. I say Josh Allen is a better player than Chad Pennington, even though Pennington is clearly the smarter player. In the same way, yes, smarter HCs help teams in games more, and an HC who isn't very smart will limit a good roster. That is true. However, it doesn't matter what HC is coaching if the roster is trash.

Well to that point we have seen so called "trash rosters" completely turn it around with new HC's is as short as the next year. 

Rich Kotite / Bill Parcells .....the Jets actually had a talented roster under Kotite but they did not get that label from anyone then Bill takes over and in one year we went 9-7 then to 12-4 yes Bill added some key players but that team had a good core of players going in.