Woody Johnson: Merged

Alka

19 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Wrong. Teams that win have better attendance, more interest, etc

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ticket revenue is split 32 ways

Try again 

The only revenue the Jets would be entitled to keep is from luxury boxes, parking pass and a home playoff game and that last one hasn't happened for 20 plus years 

Try again 
The only revenue the Jets would be entitled to keep is from luxury boxes, parking pass and a home playoff game and that last one hasn't happened for 20 plus years 

60% of the ticket revenue stays with the home team. The other 40% goes into a pool.

• Upvote 1

True
Bottom line this franchise is top 5 in value and bottom 5 in winning 
I'll say it again there's no correlation between winning and making money in the NFL 

Winning does make your franchise more valuable. There is a reason Golden State used to be in the bottom 10 and now they are top in the NBA. The Jets having the NY market in their name will always keep them high, but they can always make more

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Try again 

TV Revenue is split for sure....  can you cite your source on ticket revenue being split?

Also, hard to tell a reasonable businessman that the Pats aren't more valuable as a winner with Brady than without. Winning adds value. Measurable? Hard to say.

Local sponsorship will  increase with winning as well....

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

TV Revenue is split for sure....  can you cite your source on ticket revenue being split?

Also, hard to tell a reasonable businessman that the Pats aren't more valuable as a winner with Brady than without. Winning adds value. Measurable? Hard to say.

Local sponsorship will  increase with winning as well....

all of my information comes from the books of the Green Bay Packers

because it is owned by the town of GB Wisconsin, they have open books - it's actually very interesting 

as another poster noted only about half of the ticket revenue is split. That's what Danny Snyder finally got booted for, holding out on the other owners 

Yes Local sponsorship, local tv (preseason) and radio contracts, signs in the stadium, these are all Woody's domain. Luxury boxes, concession, parking passes too. 

But it's all a drop in the bucket compared to the TV split. TV split like 100 Mil more than Payroll. So if the Jets are spending 200 mil on the team salaries and bonus they are getting like 300+ from the TV split. The other stuff like ticket revenue from a home playoff game are not that important in the grand scheme of things 

the Jets are an ATM machine for Woody, win lose or draw 

and he treats it as such 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Winning does make your franchise more valuable. There is a reason Golden State used to be in the bottom 10 and now they are top in the NBA. The Jets having the NY market in their name will always keep them high, but they can always make more

It's the non cap spending where Woody saves. 

Saleh makes like 3-5 Mil. A guy like Mike McCarthy makes 10+ M per 

the scouting dept, the strength and conditioning team, the trainers, These are not the best in the biz. The GM and HC were both first-timers. There's no expensive Westoff style position coaches (bill callahan gets a million to coach the CLE OL) 

there's 31 losers every year and only 1 winner. Winning is hard. the real question is does trying to win outweigh just doing the bare minimum?

this year is another data point for woody that trying is expensive and they can just not try and make the same. Like they did for the last 10 years 

side note Woody didn't take the Rodgers insurance that GBP took every year and now he's taking that out of the season ticket holders 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Woody is an easily-manipulated idiot.

That’s it. You don’t need all those words.

Title: Unraveling Woody: An Exploration of Manipulation and Intellectual Challenges

Introduction:

The assertion that "Woody is an easily-manipulated idiot" prompts an examination of Woody's character that aligns with the notion of his susceptibility to manipulation and potential intellectual shortcomings. In this essay, we will explore the factors contributing to Woody's perceived manipulability and delve into aspects of his intelligence that may support the claim of him being an "idiot."

Woody's Proneness to Manipulation:

The characterization of Woody as "easily-manipulated" suggests a certain vulnerability in his decision-making processes. Woody may display a lack of discernment or a failure to critically evaluate the intentions of those around him, rendering him more susceptible to manipulation. This vulnerability could stem from a combination of trust in others and a reluctance to question their motives, emphasizing a potential lack of astuteness.

Additionally, Woody's desire for social approval may play a significant role in his susceptibility to manipulation. His eagerness to please others could lead him to overlook red flags or ignore potential ulterior motives, making him an ideal target for those seeking to exploit his trusting nature.

The Complexity of Woody's Intelligence:

While the term "idiot" may be harsh, an exploration of Woody's intelligence reveals areas where he may fall short. Intelligence encompasses a spectrum of cognitive abilities, and Woody may exhibit limitations in specific domains. For instance, his decision-making skills and discernment may be compromised, indicating a potential intellectual gap that aligns with the characterization of an "idiot."

It is essential to acknowledge that intelligence is not a monolithic trait but comprises various facets. In Woody's case, areas such as critical thinking, strategic planning, or adaptability may present challenges, contributing to the perception of him as an "idiot" in certain contexts.

Validating the Label:

As we unravel Woody's character, it becomes apparent that the initial assertion holds merit. Woody's susceptibility to manipulation and potential intellectual shortcomings align with the characterization of him as an "easily-manipulated idiot." While this evaluation does not negate other positive aspects of his personality, it underscores the importance of recognizing and addressing these vulnerabilities.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, an examination of Woody's character reveals a congruence with the assertion that "Woody is an easily-manipulated idiot." His proneness to manipulation, rooted in trust and a desire for social approval, coupled with potential intellectual challenges, contributes to a nuanced understanding of his character. While Woody may possess positive traits, acknowledging and addressing these vulnerabilities is essential for a comprehensive assessment of his overall personality.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

the scouting dept, the strength and conditioning team, the trainers, These are not the best in the biz. The GM and HC were both first-timers. There's no expensive Westoff style position coaches (bill callahan gets a million to coach the CLE OL) 

there's 31 losers every year and only 1 winner. Winning is hard. the real question is does trying to win outweigh just doing the bare minimum?

this year is another data point for woody that trying is expensive and they can just not try and make the same. Like they did for the last 10 years 

side note Woody didn't take the Rodgers insurance that GBP took every year and now he's taking that out of the season ticket holders 

The Jets support Saleh’s golf hobby. Did you know he travels the country to rate high end golf courses for Golf Digest?

• Haha 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

The Jets support Saleh’s golf hobby. Did you know he travels the country to rate high end golf courses for Golf Digest?

That's nuts. I assume that money comes from Golf Digest though not the NYJ

Saleh was known as a defensive guy and he built a great defense. I know he's not helpful at all with the offense but why are we mad at him for that? 

It's like buying a Compact car and getting mad it can't haul boats 

they bought a compact car coach. Bowles was this way too. They didn't pay 10 Mil for Andy Reid or similar why should we expect them to work miracles? 

Saleh is going to be scapegoated at some point and certainly it's deserved but I don't know what people honestly expected from the hire. He showed up, installed a top 5 defense, converted them from 20 years of 3-4 to 4-3. That's Saleh's job. That and giving inspirational speeches. 

What I'm trying to say is that Saleh, while not special, is better at being a HC than Joe Douglas is at being a GM 

Joe Douglas hired Saleh after all this mess all flows back to JD 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

Saleh was known as a defensive guy and he built a great defense. I know he's not helpful at all with the offense but why are we mad at him for that? 

they bought a compact car coach. Bowles was this way too. They didn't pay 10 Mil for Andy Reid or similar why should we expect them to work miracles? 

Saleh is going to be scapegoated at some point and certainly it's deserved but I don't know what people honestly expected from the hire. He showed up, installed a top 5 defense, converted them from 20 years of 3-4 to 4-3. That's Saleh's job. That and giving inspirational speeches. 

What I'm trying to say is that Saleh, while not special, is better at being a HC than Joe Douglas is at being a GM 

Put it this way, I don’t think anyone at 1JD is working around the clock to turn this thing around. The excitement of a new regime wears off once the Jets show they can’t score points. At the end of the day it’s Woody who’s created this mess. 

https://en.as.com/nfl/who-are-the-highest-and-lowest-paid-nfl-coaches-n-2/?outputType=amp

• Upvote 1

And while the team continues its annual downward spiral Mr Magoo has the balls to announce a substantial increase in the cost of his notorious PSL investment scam. 

These tix are probably worthless on the secondary market now.

I hope a good % of the PSL owners tell him to shove it and the stands grow empty.

This effin clown and his necklace.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Agree with saleh, he’s doing what he’s studied.  But if rodgers is healthy they make them playoffs in this afc and then what?  There’s still no qb plan.  The plan was to hide wilson and pray rodgers didn’t get hurt.  Woody may make money win or lose, but I’m not sure that actually motives his football moves at this point.  He’s old, he’s got money, he’s 76.  I actually think he’d enjoy having a good football team for once.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Agree with saleh, he’s doing what he’s studied.  But if rodgers is healthy they make them playoffs in this afc and then what?  There’s still no qb plan.  The plan was to hide wilson and pray rodgers didn’t get hurt.  

so many people in the summer said "if Rodgers gets hurt it doesn't matter because the season is over" it appears JD thought the same. And yet we're going to these games, watching them on TV the season isn't over it was just poor planning. Completely agree. 

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Woody may make money win or lose, but I’m not sure that actually motives his football moves at this point.  He’s old, he’s got money, he’s 76.  I actually think he’d enjoy having a good football team for once.  

this is actually a very interesting question - what are Woody's motivations?

at one point he said in public the outcome of the election would mean more to him than the Jets winning the SB. 

at another point he abandoned the team to the only person dumber than he is (Christopher) for 4 years while he lived in England

could you imagine owning the Jets and loaning it to your little brother while you went to Europe?  Letting Chris pick out terrible uniforms? Unthinkable 

end of the day he loves money and the Jets print money. On some level he wants to be liked (hence the cringe necklace) 

but if he can't get that approval from players and the fans he will try to get it among his circle of billionaires and sycophants . And more broadly I don't think he will ever get that approval he's craving. He's just going to have to live with the piles of money as a consolation prize 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

so many people in the summer said "if Rodgers gets hurt it doesn't matter because the season is over" it appears JD thought the same. And yet we're going to these games, watching them on TV the season isn't over it was just poor planning. Completely agree. 

at one point he said in public the outcome of the election would mean more to him than the Jets winning the SB. 

at another point he abandoned the team to the only person dumber than he is (Christopher) for 4 years while he lived in England

could you imagine owning the Jets and loaning it to your little brother while you went to Europe?  Letting Chris pick out terrible uniforms? Unthinkable 

end of the day he loves money and the Jets print money. On some level he wants to be liked (hence the cringe necklace) 

but if he can't get that approval from players and the fans he will try to get it among his circle of billionaires and sycophants . And more broadly I don't think he will ever get that approval he's craving. He's just going to have to live with the piles of money as a consolation prize 

The woody problem usually reverts to, there’s no director of football ops, nobody in the organization who knows football who could make the hires - thus we get idzik from a corporate search firm.  With nobody in-house who can help woody, he’s the mr magoo who trusts those around him and now it’s douglas.  Although this time around at least douglas has drafted some good players, more than we can say about previous gms.  But so what - this league is entirely about the qb and again, they did try with a washed up rodgers, but still, they’d have a winning record with him.  You just can’t have the worst qb, but you can make the playoffs with an average one.

i really think woody was behind this wilson fiasco this season and now it’s finally over.  But with some talent on the roster and spiraling towards another top 10 pick, what happens now?  What power does a gimpy rodgers still have, after he went on record (whether at woody’s behest or not) claiming wilson was his successor?  Maybe both woody and douglas learned something this season, that you need several qbs b/c it’s a real violent sport.   If there’s been some learning about the qb position this season, how does that impact the draft?  Odds are they go OL or wr in a stacked class and add another piece, but would they actually invest a day 2 pick on a qb, is that now the hedge?

• Upvote 1

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

It doesn't say much for the brains trust at OneJetsDrive (Woody, Chris, Maccagnan at the time, Douglas) that two mavericks like Gase and Rodgers were able to come in, and basically throw their weight around. Two power plays that went unchecked. 

Ok but at least rodgers was going to get the team to the playoffs with his arm not his playbook

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Ok but at least rodgers was going to get the team to the playoffs with his arm not his playbook

But he shouldn't have given effective GM duties in the process. 

I had a lot of time for Douglas, but he has lost the plot since March. He has made one mistake after another in trying to sign and then placate Rodgers. It has all felt very out of character, based on the perception of Douglas before. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

so many people in the summer said "if Rodgers gets hurt it doesn't matter because the season is over" it appears JD thought the same. And yet we're going to these games, watching them on TV the season isn't over it was just poor planning.

This is the infuriating part. The whole idea behind the Rodgers deal is that the Jets were "just a quarterback away." I never agreed with that, but if that were the reasoning, why weren't we kicking over every rock trying to upgrade Wilson once Rodgers got hurt? Whatever the (dubious) reasons for keeping Wilson on the roster in the first place, it's just indefensible that once he became QB1, the entire organization decided to just punt on the season.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is the infuriating part. The whole idea behind the Rodgers deal is that the Jets were "just a quarterback away." I never agreed with that, but if that were the reasoning, why weren't we kicking over every rock trying to upgrade Wilson once Rodgers got hurt? Whatever the (dubious) reasons for keeping Wilson on the roster in the first place, it's just indefensible that once he became QB1, the entire organization decided to just punt on the season.

That’s the million dollar question. Why was the season over once Rodgers got hurt? Why was Minnesota’s season not over when Cousins went down? The fans actually deserve some explanation on that one imo, and not the “we believed in Zach” stuff, which was obviously false.

• Upvote 1

I thought Saleh had a 0% chance of getting fired with Rodgers' injury + Hackett's OC status as the excuse.

But if we keep losing and losing like this I think Woody will want to make a move and I'm not so sure that Rodgers will be that inclined to defend keeping Hackett as OC (possible demotion as a O assistant), granted if Rodgers basically gets to choose the next head coach.

This is Rodgers twilight of his career and he's only playing to win another ring. If Rodgers can convince a head coach to come here that he wants and he can figure out a way for Hackett to stay on staff to be his best bald bro (BBB!) ever...I think he actually would support firing Saleh.

On 11/19/2023 at 10:13 AM, Alka said:

He praises every draft pick, gets on the phone with them on draft day, and acts like an excited teenager.  He buys a "Woody" chain to put around his neck, and thinks he is funny.  He is full of praise in public, and rarely shows the public anything other than positivity and happiness.  When the team implodes, he is missing in action.  He didn't build his wealth, he was born into it.

When he does put his mark on the team, he overrides his GM by insisting on bringing Aaron Rodgers, even when he is getting advice to do otherwise.

Woody hires his previous head coach based upon the recommendation of Peyton Manning, who he doesn't even really know.  He hires past Gm's and head coaches and fires them well beyond the time that he should be firing them.  I never see him take accountability for his poor decision making of the past, and just exudes a "just so happy to be the owner of the Jets" attitude.

On the other hand, I admired Leon Hess.  He built up his own wealth, through his intellect and guts to make the tough decisions.  He put his money where his mouth is, and told Parcells that I will give you whatever you need to succeed, and Parcels had great admiration and respect for.  Hess publicly talked about the team "not playing like a bunch of horses asses".  Yes, the Jets didn't have the success that we all hoped for under the ownership of Hess, but I always felt that Hess was a man of substance and wouldn't take sh*t from anyone.

Leon Hess let his corporate accountant run the team for years. He cared more about the horse track than the jets 

Wait, which is it?

Woody is engaged in a conspiracy with Jet Blue friends to force JD to make Saleh play Zach?

Or Woody forced Rodgers on JD against his wishes?

I guess JD is free of responsibility either way, eh?

Yeah, no. 

Our GM built this.  He is the responsible party.  Him and him alone. 

Why some fans feel the need to try and shift responsibility I'll never understand.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RJIII said:

The ROOT of the problem (and it has been) is Woody. This family has zero business owning an NFL franchise. They know jack sh*t about football, clearly don't care, force the sell of this franchise. 

Why would the NFL do that?

The Jets don't have to even be good, ever, and they fill their stadium and rake in TV ratings annually.

That's basically perfection in the eyes of every other owner in the sport. They get to stand on Woody's clueless back, whip him a few times on the bottom, laugh in his face and profit from it.

On 11/19/2023 at 10:13 AM, Alka said:

He praises every draft pick, gets on the phone with them on draft day, and acts like an excited teenager.  He buys a "Woody" chain to put around his neck, and thinks he is funny.  He is full of praise in public, and rarely shows the public anything other than positivity and happiness.  When the team implodes, he is missing in action.  He didn't build his wealth, he was born into it.

When he does put his mark on the team, he overrides his GM by insisting on bringing Aaron Rodgers, even when he is getting advice to do otherwise.

Woody hires his previous head coach based upon the recommendation of Peyton Manning, who he doesn't even really know.  He hires past Gm's and head coaches and fires them well beyond the time that he should be firing them.  I never see him take accountability for his poor decision making of the past, and just exudes a "just so happy to be the owner of the Jets" attitude.

On the other hand, I admired Leon Hess.  He built up his own wealth, through his intellect and guts to make the tough decisions.  He put his money where his mouth is, and told Parcells that I will give you whatever you need to succeed, and Parcels had great admiration and respect for.  Hess publicly talked about the team "not playing like a bunch of horses asses".  Yes, the Jets didn't have the success that we all hoped for under the ownership of Hess, but I always felt that Hess was a man of substance and wouldn't take sh*t from anyone.

Hence the napkin resignation!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Agreed, I dont like Saleh… but he has been given shlt to work with.  He is a poor man’s REX.  Rex would be no better.   JD fukked this team up.  The throwing the farm at Rodger’s and HIS guys like Hackett, Lazard etc was criminal.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

You commented on the Packers, a public co. If we had a board of directors, answerable to results, our behavior would be different.  Look at Packers and Celtics… both public.   We fall at the mercy of that little prick Woody who behaves as you detailed above.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Why would the NFL do that?

The Jets don't have to even be good, ever, and they fill their stadium and rake in TV ratings annually.

That's basically perfection in the eyes of every other owner in the sport. They get to stand on Woody's clueless back, whip him a few times on the bottom, laugh in his face and profit from it.

Don't be part of the problem. Relegation in NFL ownership. Stop supporting and the NFL will find a way to rid themselves of him.