god I miss rex

kmnj

There’s not a coach in the history of the NFL that could win with this team. Most of the oline couldn’t start on another team and none of the QBs couldn’t even play on another team except maybe the practice squad.

The two most important positions on the field (yes two, the oline is more important then an edge rusher @JagsFanJif) are complete trash. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

There’s not a coach in the history of the NFL that could win with this team. Most of the oline couldn’t start on another team and none of the QBs couldn’t even play on another team except maybe the practice squad.

The two most important positions on the field (yes two, the oline is more important then an edge rusher @JagsFanJif) are complete trash. 

Very important but more important then a player who can change the game w/ 1 play?  No.  Not at all.  It's a supply and demand game, friend.  Lots of big dudes who block people, it's actually one of the easiest positions to fill in the NFL because of the abundance.  There are not a lot of full blown super freaks who can get to the QB consistently.  Therefore, simple supply and demand says you're wrong.  

And the NFL disagree too.  The highest paid non-QB's in the NFL are, edge rushers then wide receivers, then 1 LT makes an appearance way down the line after about 5 edge rushers and 6 WR's.  If you look at the franchise tag salaries, is OL highest after QB?  Nope.  Also, guess what position group has the most players taken in the draft yearly?  OL.  

Not saying OL isnt valuable, it's extremely valuable but it's the most abundant position in the NFL and the easiest to fill year over year.  The Jets just suck at it but to say that a LT is more valuable then a JJ Watt or Aaron Donald or Myles Garrett or a Bosa, is just straight silly talk.

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

As in the organization is at a low point, no one wants to come here and Woody throws his hand up in the air hopeless. I’d rather do the right thing and find the right combo that’s here for the long term and not have to deal with Rodgers at all. While AR and the circus is here, you would need to either run it back with a JD and Salad (who both deserve to be shot into the sun) or find some kind of half measure to get over the hump.

All I'm saying is Rex and Tanny are perfect for the short term inorganic sh*t show that we are in. That’s how big of a mess this team is currently in. I’m looking for any realistic solution possible to just get away from the current front office and don’t see Woody making a change unless it’s something simple like this that wouldn’t involve a search or much thought on his part since we know thinking isn’t Woody’s strength. Thats why I say plug n play. Name me an easier plug n play option than Tanny and Rex.

Still comes off as All I know, is all that I’ve known.

The thing with Rex is that you can't praise him for 09-10 and then pretend 11-14 didn't happen. Rex inherited a nice roster and took it to greater heights.....Tannenbaum and himself couldn't replace the aging talent and talent that left via FA 

Tannenbaum had to eventually pay the piper for all the mortgaging he did, and Rex's didn't exactly hit on a lot of the talent he banged the table for in the draft. And like most regimes, when you miss on a QB high in the draft, you don't live to tell that story for too long.....

The big issue towards the end was firing Tanny and keeping Rex. A typical Woody half-measure....It led to a disconnect in the organization.........You had Idzik who wanted to clear the deck for the coach he wanted to hire and ultimately sabotaged Rex at the end of his time here.......it cost him his job too in the end....

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Of course he wouldn’t. Fat guy was an insecure bitch.

and I am no Saleh fan, but in this complete circus, I think he is the least culpable.  I believe REX would be worse.  I assume Saleh has his hands tied and can't fire Hackett.  His decisions on the field haven't been horrible. We simply have zero offense. 

16 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If only JD took that blueprint. Make the OL number 1 priority.

The thing is he has......he's drafted 3 OL in 1st 2 rounds......signed a guard to a long term deal in FA....

He either whiffed on the picks or just had unfortunate luck with injuries......Tippmann looks like a keeper tho 

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Why can't all these morons who love Rex comprehend what you just wrote. It is so fukkin obvious. I remember Harbaugh bringing in Kapernick in 2012 I believe, running a wildcat and embarrassing REX.  Rex had no answer. 

That was the last Jets game i attended.  Complete embarrassment.  

Also happened to be the Santonio Holmes injury-fumble game, too.  You know, the guy Rex once named a captain.  lol.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That was the last Jets game i attended.  Complete embarrassment.  

Also happened to be the Santonio Holmes injury-fumble game, too.  You know, the guy Rex once named a captain.  lol.

I was in NY at a formal birthday party and was listening in the car and it was perfect REX. Harbaugh simply put that fat slob in his place.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Also the hubris that came along with it.  You could see offenses figuring Rex’s scheme out - like opponents picking up overload blitzes with ease - and he stubbornly refused to adapt.  I.E. like in Buffalo when he had an elite DL dropping back into coverage (thus they fell from a top 5 unit, statistically, under Jim Schwartz, to being outside the top 20 under Rex).  

That Buffalo defense was built to be a 4-3 and he installed his 3-4 and had Mario Williams dropping back into coverage like you said. This was a couple years before the influx of pass happy offenses so base defense still mattered a lot.....complete mismanagement of the talent he inherited....

But Buffalo was stupid for hiring him to begin with. They saw how the Rex era ended with a division rival and still said yea that's the guy to right our ship. And then Ironically we make a similar stupid move hiring Gase after his fiasco in Miami

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, carlito1171 said:

That Buffalo defense was built to be a 4-3 and he installed his 3-4 and had Mario Williams dropping back into coverage like you said. This was a couple years before the influx of pass happy offenses so base defense still mattered a lot.....complete mismanagement of the talent he inherited....

But Buffalo was stupid for hiring him to begin with. They saw how the Rex era ended with a division rival and still said yea that's the guy to right our ship. And then Ironically we make a similar stupid move hiring Gase after his fiasco in Miami

Absolute insanity that they’d hire Rex and fire Schwartz when the latter was running an elite D.

Then, early in year 2, Rex fired his OC even though the Tyrod Taylor-led offense was ranked 8th in the league in 2015, lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rex was so bad in Buffalo he was fired before he could finish his 2nd season there.  What an embarrassment.

No one glorifies a HC who went 46-50 here like Jets fans.  Same way they glorify Mark friggin Sanchez.

Just because that era was the last time we had success doesn’t make it a GOOD era.  It only demonstrates how bad things have been since then that people here miss it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one glorifies a HC who went 46-50 here like Jets fans.  Same way they glorify Mark friggin Sanchez.

Just because that era was the last time we had success doesn’t make it a GOOD era.  It only demonstrates how bad things have been since then that people here miss it.  

Rex Ryan years were total smoke and mirrors.  Rex stunk and Sanchez, my goodness did he stink.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Still comes off as All I know, is all that I’ve known.

It does and is not a good move. It’s a desperation move. I’m just saying that I think they are the only option if you HAD to get rid of JD and Salad during this all in window and final year of 2024. 

I hope but would not expect AR to be able to lure a GM/coach combo for this off-season that’s here for the AR window and beyond. It just seems unrealistic. He does seem to know a lot of people though and is respected so who knows. Maybe we’ll magically get lucky. Haha! 

25 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It does and is not a good move. It’s a desperation move. I’m just saying that I think they are the only option if you HAD to get rid of JD and Salad during this all in window and final year of 2024. 

I hope but would not expect AR to be able to lure a GM/coach combo for this off-season that’s here for the AR window and beyond. It just seems unrealistic. He does seem to know a lot of people though and is respected so who knows. Maybe we’ll magically get lucky. Haha! 

I get it. I don’t do anything out of desperation, so I’d have a hard time accepting it on any level. No offense.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

and I am no Saleh fan, but in this complete circus, I think he is the least culpable.  I believe REX would be worse.  I assume Saleh has his hands tied and can't fire Hackett.  His decisions on the field haven't been horrible. We simply have zero offense. 

I don’t think he’s allowed to actually be the coach. He’s fully held to the standard of doing what he’s told to be “on the same page”. Kinda beta, but whatever.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your hero was 46-50.  Raise your standards.

Right.  And still managed to go 8-8 with one of the worst rosters in team history.  His final season saw his efforts hampered by a novice GM that wanted him to fail.   Rex was an excellent Jets HC.  He was saddled with an awful QB and still came a whisker away from a Super Bowl TWICE.  

I will take REX in a NY second so long as there is a strong GM behind him. 

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Right.  And still managed to go 8-8 with one of the worst rosters in team history.  His final season saw his efforts hampered by a novice GM that wanted him to fail.   Rex was an excellent Jets HC.  He was saddled with an awful QB and still came a whisker away from a Super Bowl TWICE.  

I will take REX in a NY second so long as there is a strong GM behind him. 

The 2013 Jets were outscored by 97 points (6th-worst point differential) and then went 4-12 the next year with the same roster.  That wasn’t some epic coaching job.

Then, he had all the talent he could ask for in Buffalo and failed miserably.

Then, he couldn’t even get an interview for the U of Miami HC job when it came open a couple years later.

He sucked, dude.  The league passed him by.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The 2013 Jets were outscored by 97 points (6th-worst point differential) and then went 4-12 the next year with the same roster.  That wasn’t some epic coaching job.

Then, he had all the talent he could ask for in Buffalo and failed miserably.

Then, he couldn’t even get an interview for the U of Miami HC job when it came open a couple years later.

He sucked, dude.  The league passed him by.

Best coach the Jets have had since Weeb.  Now lets go get a g*d damn snack !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Parcells and Michaels were both better.  And even if you’re right, it’s an extremely low bar we’re talking about here.

I had more fun in 2009 and 2010 than I had in all other years of being a Jets fan *combined*.  It was an over-the-top fun ride. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then what happened.

We've been all through that 1,000 times over.  The roster fell apart. Badly !  There were several reasons for the decline in manpower not least of which were Rex's influence.  I am on record here stating that an emotional reactionary like Rex should never be allowed to make roster decisions.  Add to that, Tanny was known to be a push over.  

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

We've been all through that 1,000 times over.  The roster fell apart. Badly !  There were several reasons for the decline in manpower not least of which were Rex's influence.  I am on record here stating that an emotional reactionary like Rex should never be allowed to make roster decisions.  Add to that, Tanny was known to be a push over.  

Rex being as much to do with the roster crumbling as Tannenbaum absolves Rex in your eyes?  Lol.

And you don’t think the roster Rex inherited in ‘09 had much to do with his success?  You see how you’re trying to eat your cake and have it too here, right?

I highly recommend you Read Collision Low Crossers before you post in this thread again.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rex being as much to do with the roster crumbling as Tannenbaum absolves Rex in your eyes?  Lol.

And you don’t think the roster Rex inherited in ‘09 had much to do with his success?  You see how you’re trying to eat your cake and have it too here, right?

I highly recommend you Read Collision Low Crossers before you post in this thread again.

Like I said.  Rex was/is an excellent HC.  But a bad de-facto GM.

And how did Mangini do with that roster ??? 20th rated defense.  And Rex made it a number one.  

Dig ???

• Upvote 1