god I miss rex

kmnj

6 hours ago, JagsFanJif said:

Very important but more important then a player who can change the game w/ 1 play?  No.  Not at all.  It's a supply and demand game, friend.  Lots of big dudes who block people, it's actually one of the easiest positions to fill in the NFL because of the abundance.  There are not a lot of full blown super freaks who can get to the QB consistently.  Therefore, simple supply and demand says you're wrong.  

And the NFL disagree too.  The highest paid non-QB's in the NFL are, edge rushers then wide receivers, then 1 LT makes an appearance way down the line after about 5 edge rushers and 6 WR's.  If you look at the franchise tag salaries, is OL highest after QB?  Nope.  Also, guess what position group has the most players taken in the draft yearly?  OL.  

Not saying OL isnt valuable, it's extremely valuable but it's the most abundant position in the NFL and the easiest to fill year over year.  The Jets just suck at it but to say that a LT is more valuable then a JJ Watt or Aaron Donald or Myles Garrett or a Bosa, is just straight silly talk.

What would make this team better outside of QB? An edge rusher or a stud LT? Definitely a stud LT. 

my dad RIP was a bigger jet fan than i.
he spent that first playoff season in the hosp
we watched all 3 games together there.
it is a time of poignant and vivid memory for me and glad we shared.
he did never make it home, unfortunately.
sorry to be a bummer.
(back on topic i am ok with rex's legacy for this alone.)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

5 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

The thing is he has......he's drafted 3 OL in 1st 2 rounds......signed a guard to a long term deal in FA....

He either whiffed on the picks or just had unfortunate luck with injuries......Tippmann looks like a keeper tho 

I’m well aware what he has tried. However it does not excuse the outcome. Worst OL in NFL last yr. Worst this yr. Was never ranked very high in his tenure. In 5 years. This have not worked out obviously to plan. The extra effort is sometimes needed, in this case lot more effort. If the same will to have a dominant OL as he has had for a dominant DL, wouldn’t be having this discussion. Everything is backwards with Joe Douglas. OL is the most important unit in the NFL, and he has not gone the extra mile a LOT of other gms have.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Right.  And still managed to go 8-8 with one of the worst rosters in team history.  His final season saw his efforts hampered by a novice GM that wanted him to fail.   Rex was an excellent Jets HC.  He was saddled with an awful QB and still came a whisker away from a Super Bowl TWICE.  

I will take REX in a NY second so long as there is a strong GM behind him. 

Both championship games he was so unprepared, our D gave up 24 unanswered points in both games. He also did it as Baltimore DC.

Jeez your stubborn and enjoy mediocrity.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That was the last Jets game i attended.  Complete embarrassment.  

Also happened to be the Santonio Holmes injury-fumble game, too.  You know, the guy Rex once named a captain.  lol.

I was at that game too. Thousands of niner fans at that game. 

wait, Rex got his legendary Gatorade bath and Super Bowl celebration the last game in Miami in 2013 only to…. sh*t the bed in 2014… again

• Upvote 1

Rex ran the clubhouse like a kindergarten.  Of course the players loved him.  He had a couple of good rosters for a while, had zero clue of offense (like Saleh).  If you think he was the best Jets coach, then fine.  I completely disagree. He ran it to the ground.  Or should I say he stood by and let the building burn down around him.  *That* is NOT a good HC.

It’s the effect of a roster without a good qb and one that went all in on a sb run. We were close took a shot and failed and had to pay the piper.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Rex was a glorified defensive coordinator but he is by every metric our most successful head coach last 30 years and that even includes Parcells.  Parcells obviously better but Rex is easily the second best head coach since Carroll for a still unknown reason got fired after one season 

Thank you.

You can dislike Rex but the data shows he was the most successful coach in the last 50 years.

Parcells was a better overall coach.

Rex was the better JETS coach

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 2

Woody always liked Rex and I'm worried if and when they fire Saleh they'll bring him back. Rex had a good roster and did a good job for 2 years. After that everything went south and he failed in Buff. I thought he was a backstabber, started a lot of controversy, prob leaked a lot to the press etc.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’m well aware what he has tried. However it does not excuse the outcome. Worst OL in NFL last yr. Worst this yr. Was never ranked very high in his tenure. In 5 years. This have not worked out obviously to plan. The extra effort is sometimes needed, in this case lot more effort. If the same will to have a dominant OL as he has had for a dominant DL, wouldn’t be having this discussion. Everything is backwards with Joe Douglas. OL is the most important unit in the NFL, and he has not gone the extra mile a LOT of other gms have.

Oh no I agree wholeheartedly that his efforts haven't been enough....I think he should be gone

it's even worse for him that he tried and failed...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Like I said.  Rex was/is an excellent HC.  But a bad de-facto GM.

And how did Mangini do with that roster ??? 20th rated defense.  And Rex made it a number one.  

Dig ???

The 2008 Jets went 9-7, woulda won 11+ without the Favre injury.

The ‘09 Jets went…..9-7.

And Rex stopped being an “excellent HC” in 2011.  Like I said, the league figured him out.  Hence why he failed miserably with a loaded roster in Buffalo.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Woody always liked Rex and I'm worried if and when they fire Saleh they'll bring him back. Rex had a good roster and did a good job for 2 years. After that everything went south and he failed in Buff. I thought he was a backstabber, started a lot of controversy, prob leaked a lot to the press etc.

If farve stayed in 09, we make it to superbowl and probably win. MVP type yr, top 5 in most qb categories. While mark sanchez was bottom 5 in all qb categories. And somehow still made it to afc championship with him at qb. 

Rex would have been great with a good gm, good oc, decent qb. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The ‘09 Jets went…..9-7.

And Rex stopped being an “excellent HC” in 2011.  Like I said, the league figured him out.  Hence why he failed miserably with a loaded roster in Buffalo.

He had as many wins in his 31 game in Buffalo as Saleh has managed in 3 years here. 

He's never had back to back losing seasons. He had less than 8 wins twice (and got sacked with 7 wins and 1 game left in Buffalo).

His bad years would now be considered brilliant for us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Pepster said:

He had as many wins in his 31 game in Buffalo as Saleh has managed in 3 years here. 

He's never had back to back losing seasons. He had less than 8 wins twice (and got sacked with 7 wins and 1 game left in Buffalo).

His bad years would now be considered brilliant for us. 

He took a top 5 defense in Buffalo and ran it into the ground.  Got fired within 2 seasons and has never sniffed a HC job since.

”Better than Saleh” doesn’t make him good.  

Rex sucked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If farve stayed in 09, we make it to superbowl and probably win. MVP type yr, top 5 in most qb categories. While mark sanchez was bottom 5 in all qb categories. And somehow still made it to afc championship with him at qb. 

He had a top 10 ranked offense in Buffalo in 2015 and still couldn’t make the playoffs.

He sucked.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The ‘09 Jets went…..9-7.

Rex was a sh*tty GM. MT was exposed once mangini’s influence wore off. Went from drafting solid Olineman to coples, Kyle Wilson.. Much like now, gm is a moron who heavily favors the D to appease his D minded HC. 

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Rex was a sh*tty GM. MT was exposed once mangini’s influence wore off. Went from drafting solid Olineman to coples, Kyle Wilson.. Much like now, gm is a moron who heavily favors the D to appease his D minded HC. 

He was a bad coach too.  When all it takes is 2 years for the league to figure you out and you never adapt, that makes you a bad HC.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I CANNOT stand that about defensive coaches. That’s supposed to be their expertise. They can help the GM identify players in later rounds that can work in their system and coach players up. The GM is supposed to favor the offense since the coaching expertise is already on defense and should do well enough anyways.

I guess JD and Salad maybe tried that in 2021 with AVT and Zach but they were still terrible moves. Imagine if they had just traded down and instead of trading up for AVT, they created a pipeline of excess premium draft capital for a few seasons. They’d have been completely rebuilt by now with wasted cap and a BRIGHT future. I don’t want to here “hindsight is 2020”. That was the obvious move then and it’s even more glaring now. 

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I CANNOT stand that about defensive coaches. That’s supposed to be their expertise. They can help the GM identify players in later rounds that can work in their system and coach players up. The GM is supposed to favor the offense since the coaching expertise is already on defense and should do well enough anyways.

I guess JD and Salad maybe tried that in 2021 with AVT and Zach but they were still terrible moves. Imagine if they had just traded down and instead of trading up for AVT, they created a pipeline of excess premium draft capital for a few seasons. They’d have been completely rebuilt by now with wasted cap and a BRIGHT future. I don’t want to here “hindsight is 2020”. That was the obvious move then and it’s even more glaring now. 

Maybe if we had a O minded HC, would have a dominant OL. And our first round pick would still be OL for depth. Since that is what has occurred opposite side of the ball on the line. We had the best deepest DL, even before JD felt “ well that’s make it 1 more “ with Will McDonald. Forget the offense.”

But yes I agree, if you have a strong D minded HC, let him do more with less on that side of the ball? And compensate more on the other. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was a bad coach too.  When all it takes is 2 years for the league to figure you out and you never adapt, that makes you a bad HC.  

Calvin Pryor = the next jack tatum 

they figured him out when pettine left

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The ‘09 Jets went…..9-7.

The league did not figure him out.  You dont figure out a coach that can adjust and adapt from plat to play.

Buffalo had major political issues going in in the locker room that distracted and hampered performance.  And it was far from loaded on either side of the ball. There were a few good players, but far from anything Id describe as "loaded" 

You dont like him.  Fine.  I do.  A lot. 

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The league did not figure him out.  You dont figure out a coach that can adjust and adapt from plat to play.

Buffalo had major political issues going in in the locker room that distracted and hampered performance.  And it was far from loaded on either side of the ball. There were a few good players, but far from anything Id describe as "loaded" 

They were ranked in the top 5 on D under Jim Schwartz prior to Rex’s arrival.  Outside the top 20 under Rex.  Any “politics” stemmed from complaints about the play calling:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/18/buffalo-bills-mario-williams-play-calls-rex-ryan

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

We can see that, lol.  You sure love a coach who hasn’t even been in the league in 7 years quite a bit.  

How you can argue with a straight face that the league didn’t “pass him by” when they’ve quite literally passed on him for nearly a decade is truly impressive mental gymnastics.  

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Assuming Favre avoided injury, but he was absolutely working his way to Minnesota. 

Agree he probably wins 2009 and 2010 with a competent QB but just like Saleh, he was only as good as the players could bail him out. He didn't make the team better than the sum of the talent of the players. When the league figured him out, he had nothing else to offer except motivating players to play their best.