New York Mets 2024 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

36 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Do you guys think Soto will sign with the Mets in the off-season? Cohen has the money to pay him the most but how badly does Soto want to win? No offense on that last part.

I’m sure they will go after him hard but your second point is valid. One thing to consider, Soto has never been “ the guy” before on any team he’s played for yet. Not the Nats when they won, not the Padres and certainly not now with Judge on the Yankees. He would definitely be that on the Mets, and some guys just can’t handle being Batman instead of always being Robin.

41 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Do you guys think Soto will sign with the Mets in the off-season? Cohen has the money to pay him the most but how badly does Soto want to win? No offense on that last part.

100%. They went all-in on all the top guys this year but just couldn't close. IMO Yanks will be able to hold on to him though.

I'm assuming the offense will come back it usually does when an entire team goes into a batting slump. I never could understand why almost every player on a team isn't  hitting at the same time. I still think their key player is Diaz. He has to be great like he was 2 years ago. And save close games. If he's just ok or bad the Mets don't have a chance. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2024 at 10:01 AM, Ruby2 said:

Team is unwatchable. Going to be a boring ass summer man.

This is brutal. Might just jump on the O’s train or something. If they’re going to mail the season in like this at least call Gilbert and Acuna up. 

• Upvote 1

We know the Guardians are a hot team and the Mets aren't. And when teams are in a streak good things happen to winning teams and the opposite to teams in a slump. But Mets open game with three solo HRs to take a 3-0 lead. And in bottom of an inning with two out and two on Gimenez hits a 3 run HR. The Mets are shut out the rest of the game and lose 6-3. The moral is you don't give up 3 run HRs with 2 outs and if you're going to hit a lot of HRs do it with guys on base. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I just don't see getting rid of Alonso. You're not ever going to replace those power numbers. If you're building for future you start with him in terms of offense. 

He's dog sh*t.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I just don't see getting rid of Alonso. You're not ever going to replace those power numbers. If you're building for future you start with him in terms of offense. 

this team is bad. they will trade him at the deadline to get whatever they can. 

i love Alonzo but he is hitting 235 right now and hit 217 last year. he is becoming Dave Kingman where all he does is hit HRs and nothing else. and the big problem is he is a FA in a few months and Boros is going to try to get him 50 mil per year like Soto is going to get. but at least Soto hits for Avg too.

the play is to get Soto and let Alonzo go. but that wont be easy when he is already a Yankee. if the moneys the same how do you choose a team who is always in the playoffs over the Mets who never get it right.

i think we are going to start trading some of these guys and start over. Stearns built a good team in Milwaukee with a low payroll and i think he is going to do that here. Alonzo, Lindor and Nimmo could all get traded if we keep playing like this.

2 hours ago, doitny said:

this team is bad. they will trade him at the deadline to get whatever they can. 

i love Alonzo but he is hitting 235 right now and hit 217 last year. he is becoming Dave Kingman where all he does is hit HRs and nothing else. and the big problem is he is a FA in a few months and Boros is going to try to get him 50 mil per year like Soto is going to get. but at least Soto hits for Avg too.

the play is to get Soto and let Alonzo go. but that wont be easy when he is already a Yankee. if the moneys the same how do you choose a team who is always in the playoffs over the Mets who never get it right.

i think we are going to start trading some of these guys and start over. Stearns built a good team in Milwaukee with a low payroll and i think he is going to do that here. Alonzo, Lindor and Nimmo could all get traded if we keep playing like this.

I doubt anyone would take on the Lindor contract. He's really good but hasn't lived up to his contract. Again with Pete his average is low though improving but you can't find another 40-50 Hr hitter. With more support from rest of lineup he'd be more effective home runs with guys on base. Last year he had a very low BA but he came back too early from an injury and didn't hit for a month prob due to injury. 

I knew this was going to be a bad team that would be hard to watch at times and I thought they would hover around .500 record but this?  Losing what, 10 of the last 13?  WTF?  I had no idea, they were going to be absolute dog sh*t and not even in the slightest bit entertaining and in fact, impossible to watch.  What a sh*tty team.

• Upvote 1

It's not impossible the Mets could turn it around they are not totally out of it. The Phillies did a few years back and ended up going to WS. You figure the offense will get better guys like Lindor and Nimmo etc will improve. The starting pitching esp if Senga returns can by ok right now the main prob has been Diaz if he'd pitched even ok they'd be closer to .500. He blew two games last week incl a 4 run lead. They have talent and they're better than their record. But are they a playoff team. 

This team is worse than bad. They're boring.

McNeil, Marte and Alonso are as good as gone at or before the deadline. Maybe Severino too.

The bullpen is crap after a good start. Yes, there is some overuse, but when your starters never go more than 5 or 6 innings, it's always going to be a problem.

I don't have a lot of hope. Not crazy about Stearns either. For a genius, his teams in Milwaukee have won exactly ONE playoff GAME since 2019. Not exactly Theo Epstein or Alex Anthropoulous.

Gonna be a long time before they are competitive again.

It's smart when teams load up on pitchers incl minor league guys before the season. But not pitchers who can't get outs and blow games. So you can blame the Mets GM for doing a real bad job in obtaining pitching help. You have guys with MLB arms who can throw in the high 90's but who under pressure fold. Look a good bull pen is essential for a winning team. You can't have relief pitchers giving up 3 run home runs in a close game or blowing a lead in the 9th inning like today. Jeez!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It's smart when teams load up on pitchers incl minor league guys before the season. But not pitchers who can't get outs and blow games. So you can blame the Mets GM for doing a real bad job in obtaining pitching help. You have guys with MLB arms who can throw in the high 90's but who under pressure fold. Look a good bull pen is essential for a winning team. You can't have relief pitchers giving up 3 run home runs in a close game or blowing a lead in the 9th inning like today. Jeez!

It doesn’t help either that our starters seem to be allergic to pitching past the 5th inning. The Mets have blown 6 games now after leading after the 8th inning, and have already lost 21 home games. In another month, they are going to have to cut ticket prices in half to get people to come and watch this crap. Even that might not work.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Baseball is a strange game.  This team won 10 of 12 in mid April, followed by 10 of 35 until the end of May.  And now they are in the midst of an 11-2 run.  Can't figure out this team, but I am going to enjoy the run for as long as it lasts.  And if they can avoid another major swoon, this could be a much more entertaining summer than expected.

Looking forward to that visit to Wrigley this Saturday way more than I thought I would a couple of weeks ago.

• Upvote 2