2024-Restructurings and Cuts

varjet

Reworking contracts will be harder for JD given what he has already done, which has resembled a bit of aggresssiveness after his first four years of being financially conservative.

The following players could be restructured/cut with potential cap savings as follows-JD has to be prepared to cut players who do not agree to take reasonable restructures:

• Mosely-cutting him saves $11mm on the cap and $17mm in cash.  So any money that can be shaved off his contract (let's say from $17mm to $8mm) go straight to be cap and cash savings while still having Mosley playing.
  • Tomlinson-cutting him saves $8.1mm and $12.6 in cash.  Give him $6mm to play and save $6.6mm in cap/cash.
  • Zach Wilson-he can be traded to save $5.4 in cap and cash.  That will all go, and then some, to another backup QB.
  • Uzomah-cutting him saves $5.4mm in cap and $8mm in cash.  Don't even try to restructure him.  Let the Ruckert, Kuntz and Yeboah play.  
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mosley is staying and not restructuring again.

There is a less than 0% chance the other 3 guys are on this team next year.

With the team needing 2-3 FA OL, I don't know how you justify paying CJ Mosley $17mm to play LB.   He is a good player, but that is too much money.  You would have thought maybe Jack Campbell could have replaced him from last year's draft.  

You can't run a competitive football team that overpays too many players. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, varjet said:

Reworking contracts will be harder for JD given what he has already done, which has resembled a bit of aggresssiveness after his first four years of being financially conservative.

The following players could be restructured/cut with potential cap savings as follows-JD has to be prepared to cut players who do not agree to take reasonable restructures:

• Mosely-cutting him saves $11mm on the cap and $17mm in cash.  So any money that can be shaved off his contract (let's say from $17mm to $8mm) go straight to be cap and cash savings while still having Mosley playing.
  • Tomlinson-cutting him saves $8.1mm and $12.6 in cash.  Give him $6mm to play and save $6.6mm in cap/cash.
  • Zach Wilson-he can be traded to save $5.4 in cap and cash.  That will all go, and then some, to another backup QB.
  • Uzomah-cutting him saves $5.4mm in cap and $8mm in cash.  Don't even try to restructure him.  Let the Ruckert, Kuntz and Yeboah play.  

Why would we need Uzomah when Conklin can run the ball on 4th down?

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Still can’t get over keeping Lawson even at a reduced rate and Duane Brown.   That’s $17-$18 million for players who literally contributed zero for an entire season.  Hard to understand what we were thinking on these two. 

Those are head scratchers for sure. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, all his drafts have completely sucked.

THIS is why we have such animosity within Jets fans.  Has JD been perfect?  Far from it.  He has one year left to get this team to the playoffs.  But IF he does get fired, this team will be in a far better position moving forward than it was after Idzik or Mac.  

If you can't see that there is talent with AVT, Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, Jermaine Johnson, Will McDonald, Michael Carter II, Brandin Echols, Sauce Gardner, Jeremy Ruckert, Bryce Huff, Quincy Williams, Jamien Sherwood, Ashtyn Davis, Michael Clemons, Tony Adams, and Israel Abanikanda, then it's flat out SOJ fan routine.

That doesn't mean we can't criticize the Zach Wilson pick.  Or the Denzel Mims/Mekhi Becton picks (although I think they were the right picks, they just didn't work out).  JD has been fantastic at trades, but has flat-out whiffed on too many free agents, Tomlinson being the biggest.  His handling of the backup QB situation this season was flat-out awful, unless of course there is a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff we just won't know about without a good inside connection.

I get your point, sounds great on a fan sight, but all that bragging and his record flat out sucks. 

We have no Oline and NO QB and we are weak at the WR position.

He hasn't impressed me, I'm sorry. In 4 years, he is perhaps average at best, but probably below average.

He let AR8 hijack his selections.  His drafts, other than 2022, are not good, his FA signings are a joke.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

He was voted best tackler in the league by his peers. He is the leader of the defense. And Quincy Williams has emerged as a star besides him.

Legit no reason to try and change any of the parts that aren't broken with another Aaron or bust run on the horizon.

He costs an absolute fortune

You can find LBS that tackle for cheap in FA or in the draft easily.

Mosley would be forgotten about a week after his replacement has a good game.

Aaron or bust?   I'd much rather hand Aaron another weapon or another olineman or get a good backup QB than stick with a massively over priced LB.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He costs an absolute fortune

You can find LBS that tackle for cheap in FA or in the draft easily.

Mosley would be forgotten about a week after his replacement has a good game.

Aaron or bust?   I'd much rather hand Aaron another weapon or another olineman or get a good backup QB than stick with a massively over priced LB.

We know he costs a fortune. Macc did that years ago.

He is really good though so that is why he will be part of the team next year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Or the Denzel Mims/Mekhi Becton picks (although I think they were the right picks, they just didn't work out).  

The Mims/Becton picks were the right picks according to the magazines that the Jets' scouts use to do their jobs.  

If the scouts/JD did their jobs like the good drafting teams (e.g. Eagles), they would have realized that Mims and Becton were flakes and would not work out.

Remember Mims' phone call video when he got drafted?  Was I the only one who realized he would be a bust after that?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We know he costs a fortune. Macc did that years ago.

He is really good though so that is why he will be part of the team next year.

A decent player at almost any other position is more important than a really good interior lb.

No worries, there is zero chance the jets get rid of him, they like you value him highly.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A decent player at almost any other position is more important than a really good interior lb.

No worries, there is zero chance the jets get rid of him, they like you value him highly.

I was looking at the cap dollars spent on offense vs defense for the Jets recently. I agree with the premise and this off-season there will be some tough decisions made on the defensive side of the ball to invest more in the O.

Uzomah was a worse FA signing that Tomlinson, and Laken is complete trash. 

Our GM really does suck. I get whiffing on a percentage of draft picks, but FA signings should not be busts - especially not at the rate he signs them and they give us nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

20 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

JD will be JD, he drafts poorly and is a poor GM.   Im not planning on any playoffs during his tenure. 

Saleh is not the coach to take a team to the playoffs when not super talented.  

The "brains" that run football teams comes from the football ranks. I'm very willing to acknowledge that a lot of smart people play football, but there are not enough smart people who play football and want to work in an NFL front office to fill the ranks of the front offices in the NFL. I am very confident that there are at least 20 people who post here who are smarter than JD and would do a better job as GM of the Jets. I'm not saying that JD did not earn his job. I am saying the competition is not too stiff. 

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The "brains" that run football teams comes from the football ranks. I'm very willing to acknowledge that a lot of smart people play football, but there are not enough smart people who play football and want to work in an NFL front office to fill the ranks of the front offices in the NFL. I am very confident that there are at least 20 people who post here who are smarter than JD and would do a better job as GM of the Jets. I'm not saying that JD did not earn his job. I am saying the competition is not too stiff. 

I can tell you that absolutely. The Bills current GM was an intern in our office. I hired his sister. He, IMO, is pretty smart. Marty Hurney, former GM of the Panthers was a member of my golf club.  I have met people in my business career that I believe would make sounder decisions than JD.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Uzomah was a worse FA signing that Tomlinson, and Laken is complete trash. 

Our GM really does suck. I get whiffing on a percentage of draft picks, but FA signings should not be busts - especially not at the rate he signs them and they give us nothing.

@CanadaSteve Not to mention he has 2 of the biggest NY Jets busts on his tenure. His 1st draft produced zero basically.

Reed, Conklin, JFM and Mosley are prime restructure candidates. Would save a ton of money.

Cut-wise, I'd lose Uzomah and Bawden. I'd hold onto Laken Tomlinson into training camp before deciding on cutting him. Would love to have a rookie guard beat him out.

Jets will have about $50-60m to play with if they follow that.

Screenshot_20231220_144312_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Laken has a bigger cap # than Rodgers next year.

image.png

Look at the top cap numbers on the jets this year, just cap number is a bit deceiving but still it is laughable.

21.5 millkon cap number for an ilb becasue joey D likes to restrucutre.

Brown....... my god

Thomlinson.....my god

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Reed, Conklin, JFM and Mosley are prime restructure candidates. Would save a ton of money.

Cut-wise, I'd lose Uzomah and Bawden. I'd hold onto Laken Tomlinson into training camp before deciding on cutting him. Would love to have a rookie guard beat him out.

Jets will have about $50-60m to play with if they follow that.

Screenshot_20231220_144312_Chrome.jpg

Save money or just kick the can down the road?  Mosley already has an egregious cap hit this year becasue of previous restructuring no?

About two years from now we will have to pay the young stars and the Rodgers cap killing numbers appear and we are kicking money down the road?

I pity the GM who takes over from Douglas in a year or two

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Look at the top cap numbers on the jets this year, just cap number is a bit deceiving but still it is laughable.

21.5 millkon cap number for an ilb becasue joey D likes to restrucutre.

Brown....... my god

Thomlinson.....my god

Tomlinson and Brown deals are so bad. that money of used right would have been a game changer. Fant would have been better off getting paid here.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Save money or just kick the can down the road?  Mosley already has an egregious cap hit this year becasue of previous restructuring no?

About two years from now we will have to pay the young stars and the Rodgers cap killing numbers appear and we are kicking money down the road?

I pity the GM who takes over from Douglas in a year or two

You think Douglas is going to walk away after winning a Super Bowl next year?

• Haha 2