Who sits behind Rogers next season

SoJetsy

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rodgers does not want anyone around who is even a mild threat to his job 

He's also a notoriously bad mentor to backups despite what they showed on HK 

I’m expecting them to announce Cobby resigning as QB2. Rodgers protects his boy and also gets to tell Pat McAfee that he saved Bawden’s roster spot

3 hours ago, football guy said:

If Douglas and Rodgers get their way it’ll be Wilson.

If Saleh and the coaching staff get their way it’ll be Tannehill or Brissett. 

saleh just got done saying, yet again, that zach is gonna be a good player in this league for a long time. saleh is a f*cking moron

What do we think of Rypien?  Is he good enough to be Qb 2?  Is he just a vet arm to keep on the PS?

Or is he young and talented enough to sit as the 3rd qb and develop behind AR and a reliable backup?  Is he a better option in this role instead of a developmental rookie ?

They MUST draft a QB this draft.  They should have drafted someone in 3,4,5 round last draft too but they HAVE to this draft.  I can understand not doing in 1-3 but they must find one in later rounds to sit behind AR and learn which could be 1 and done year for AR.  They have done many stupid things over the years but this would take the cake if they roll with ZW or some other retread.  The late round QB may never amount to anything but if they were smart they would do this to at least give some hope to fans for 2025 and beyond.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Even if we budget $8-10 million, point I’m driving is that I don’t know who will want to sign here. Brissett has chased opportunities where he has a chance to start. Tyrod has no experience in this WCO and is not much better than what we already have. Tannehill may not want to come here/continue playing.

Sure on paper it’s easy but we’re failing to recognize what the players themselves will want to do, plus also have to consider the money they will be trying to invest in a WR and OL help. It’s not so simple

The Jets are the prime location for a backup QB looking for a chance to play. Are we serious lol. The Jets haven’t had a QB start an entire season for like the past 8 years. 
You want a chance to play? Come on down to NY!

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

He can't play he's in hydration protocol 

Obviously hope he gets traded but it's like a nightmare that you can't wake up from.

He's not darnold. He's more like jamarcus Russell at this point. it's hard to see anyone wanting him as qb 3 on that contract so they have to pay part of his salary to trade him for peanuts plus the 5m dead cap from a trade

they might just say screw it and keep him. 

He is gone. If they can't trade him they will cut him.

Hydration protocol though, that is great. And true.

9 hours ago, football guy said:

Because you don’t go into the season expecting to lose your starting QB. And if JD/Rodgers got their way, they would argue that Zach performed just as you would expect a backup to perform given the circumstances, would have another year under his belt in the system, still growing as a player, etc. 

Money allocation is a real thing, and it’s very uncommon to roster expensive backups who are capable starting QBs behind expensive starters. Those players often sign with teams where there’s a chance at competing for a starting job or with teams who have cheap starting QBs. 

It’s likely moot point because I expect a mutual parting of the ways, but fans should be prepared to be underwhelmed whoever the backup winds up being… Brissett and Tannehill will have other options, so it wouldn’t shock me one bit if Rypein wound up the backup.

How is this going to be a mutual parting of the ways? Zach has no bargaining power to demand a trade. If that was made public, his already in peril career might be over. 

18 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

No one that would keep the Jets in contention, if Rodgers were to get injured again. No Rodgers, no party. 

But in America, we never raise the white flag. The eagles didnt when they had to win superbowl with their backup about a decade ago. Obviously though this OL was once again strung together like a pile of sticks that would completely self destruct if any injuries happened, or becton didnt play up to " hope." Here we are yet again 2nd year in a row with worst OL in NFL. Point is, even with Rodgers all year, no party with this OL. Just a few more wins for sure. But he would get killed with a strong pass rushing team if jets snuck in the playoffs. Had we had even a bellow average OL as opposed to a horrible one, rodgers was ready to come back if we had a decent number 2. If you are a playoff serious expections team, you need a capable number 2. Hell even the giants had 1 of the better backups in the NFL behind their " star " qb lol.

14 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Late to this party, but Douglas allegedly wanting to bring back Wilson as Rodgers' back-up is the 937rd example of his total incompetence at his role. But Booby Johnson is okay with him coming back to **** up another year of Jets football. 

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

just shows how clueless joe douglas is. With a bad OL, injuries on a qb are a LOT higher. Giants almost had to go to their number 4 qb halfway through the season. But... JD didnt say what any competent gm would say " zach is our number 2 and we trust him there and he will be ready if needed. " JD said " This is going to be a REDSHIRT year for zach." Which means hes not going to play this year. How many teams even with a decent OL had their number 1 for whole year ?  Less than half I'd guess without looking. 

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

But in America, we never raise the white flag. The eagles didnt when they had to win superbowl with their backup about a decade ago. Obviously though this OL was once again strung together like a pile of sticks that would completely self destruct if any injuries happened, or becton didnt play up to " hope." Here we are yet again 2nd year in a row with worst OL in NFL. Point is, even with Rodgers all year, no party with this OL. Just a few more wins for sure. But he would get killed with a strong pass rushing team if jets snuck in the playoffs. Had we had even a bellow average OL as opposed to a horrible one, rodgers was ready to come back if we had a decent number 2. If you are a playoff serious expections team, you need a capable number 2. Hell even the giants had 1 of the better backups in the NFL behind their " star " qb lol.

Unlike this year, I expect the Jets to aggressively try to bring in the best available back-up QB on the market. People's jobs will be on the line in 2024, in a way that wasn't the case this season. My point was more that it won't matter which back-up they bring in, if Rodgers was to be ruled out for the season, or miss significant playing time.

Superbowl contending teams generally have either top tier QB play and/or top tier coaching. The 2017 Philadelphia Eagles might be a rare exception to that rule, but still that Eagles coaching staff - Pederson, Reich, DeFilippo, Taylor, Schwartz - are light years ahead of anything the Jets currently have, or could assemble. That is even before you look at the respective o-lines. The eagles had pro bowl talent on the line, in Kelce, Brooks and Johnson. The Jets don't even have a reliable tackle on the roster going into the off-season. 

Robert Saleh and Jacoby Brissett will not win a play-off game together. You should still try and sign Brissett of course, in the hope any Rodgers injury is a short-term one. Whether he would sign on to be Rodgers back-up is another issue, but you make the call. 

6 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Fields isn’t good

4900, 29 TDs, 700 rushing yards, 9 TDs in the last 18 games.   Best QB in the class, by far. 

You would literally give your entire ball sack for that type of production from your QB but I like you trolling me.  It’s fun making you look stupid on this topic.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Passing TD %
1. Brock Purdy  SFO 7.0%
2. Kirk Cousins  MIN 5.8%
  Dak Prescott  DAL 5.8%
  Russell Wilson  DEN 5.8%
5. Josh Allen  BUF 5.3%
  Jordan Love  GNB 5.3%
  Tua Tagovailoa  MIA 5.3%
8. Baker Mayfield  TAM 5.2%
9. Jared Goff  DET 4.9%
10. Justin Fields  CHI 4.7%
  Matthew Stafford  LAR 4.7%

6 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

4900, 29 TDs, 700 rushing yards, 9 TDs in the last 18 games.   Best QB in the class, by far. 

You would literally give your entire ball sack for that type of production from your QB but I like you trolling me.  It’s fun making you look stupid on this topic.  

You’re seriously trying to argue Bustin Fields is better than Trevor Lawrence.  You lost what little credibility you ever had

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:
Passing TD %
1. Brock Purdy  SFO 7.0%
2. Kirk Cousins  MIN 5.8%
  Dak Prescott  DAL 5.8%
  Russell Wilson  DEN 5.8%
5. Josh Allen  BUF 5.3%
  Jordan Love  GNB 5.3%
  Tua Tagovailoa  MIA 5.3%
8. Baker Mayfield  TAM 5.2%
9. Jared Goff  DET 4.9%
10. Justin Fields  CHI 4.7%
  Matthew Stafford  LAR 4.7%

So this stat you are using as exhibit A for how great Justin Fields is he’s basically middle of the pack in the NFL which by definition is mediocre