Snacks Harrison seems to indicate he would have stayed if Woody and Jets made any effort in FA

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Huff is not staying.  We will take our 3rd round comp pick in 2025.  

That's not guaranteed comp, though.  You have to lose more FAs than you sign, and the guys you lost have to outperform the guys you sign, to get comp picks.  And the Jets have always been active in free agency, and likely will be again this year.

If Huff leaves as a FA, there's a very good chance we get no compensation at all for a 25 year old premier pass-rusher.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Snacks was a great find, and an excellent Jet.  Definitely should have been re-signed, but the Jets unfortunately placed a priority on other guys like Wilkerson who turned into a complete turd once he got paid.

Didn't Snacks get some crazy contract with the Giants?  He was not really a  great fit for Bowles.  He was a true nose and the Jets were playing a 4 man penetrating front.  I loved the guy, but letting him walk was the right move.  I cry more about letting Kerry Hyder loose than this.

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

That's not guaranteed comp, though.  You have to lose more FAs than you sign, and the guys you lost have to outperform the guys you sign, to get comp picks.  And the Jets have always been active in free agency, and likely will be again this year.

If Huff leaves as a FA, there's a very good chance we get no compensation at all for a 25 year old premier pass-rusher.

I get that people don't like Douglas, but I think he has been setting up to get some comp picks.  I think they are predicted to get 3 this year - even if only a 6th and two 7ths.  I believe he takes this into account and the team is well set up to get some comp picks in 2025.

The Jets need a large run stuffing presence, not a true nose tackle per say but some one who is not easily moved fro the interior of our Dline on running downs.  I expect us to use one of our later round picks this year on a DT

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Didn't Snacks get some crazy contract with the Giants?  He was not really a  great fit for Bowles.  He was a true nose and the Jets were playing a 4 man penetrating front.  I loved the guy, but letting him walk was the right move.  I cry more about letting Kerry Hyder loose than this.

He probably would not have received as good of an offer from the Jets even if he had been a fit for Bowles. It was a good payday for him to move across town. The Giants never got their money out of him though. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets need a large run stuffing presence, not a true nose tackle per say but some one who is not easily moved fro the interior of our Dline on running downs.  I expect us to use one of our later round picks this year on a DT

Well, along with the Oline, our Dline suffered some significant injuries.  Our two true DT (besides Quinnen) were lost for a big portion of the year.  Al Woods is what you are describing.  After a decade of playing 10 plus games per year, he made it 6.  They also lost Quinton Jefferson towards the end of the year.  Franklin-Myers, Clemons and Solomon Thomas are more hybrid DE types.  I actually think that Bruce Hector and Jalyn Holmes are viable for PS type guys.  Both have experience and have played actual games.  I don't have any problem with them being on the field.  At least Hector trands more toward DT, but Holmes is another hybrid type.

I don't know about using a later round pick on a DT.  They certainly might, particularly if they end up with an extra 6th and 7th through comp picks, but I think these guys traditionally take some time to develop.  It's a strength, not speed position and these guys are either tip-top of the draft like Quinnen or around a bit to develop.  IIRC, you were one of those that bemoaned the "loss" of Jonathan Marshall.  I agreed he seemed to have some promise, but he has been on the Steelers practice squad all year.  I don't think that is necessarily an indictment of the prospect.  One of the guys that beat him out, Armon Watts, is another journeyman type prospect that I liked that has been developing over five years in the league.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Interestingly, the Jets only gave up 2068 rushing yards on 492 rushing attempts. (4.2 yards per carry). That's actually tied for 6th best in the NFL this year (With the Steelers, Jaguars, Bengals, and Dolphins), believe it or not. 

It's not a great run defense, but it's good enough. Every conceivable asset this offseason should go towards the offense. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Interestingly, the Jets only gave up 2068 rushing yards on 492 rushing attempts. (4.2 yards per carry). That's actually tied for 6th best in the NFL this year (With the Steelers, Jaguars, Bengals, and Dolphins), believe it or not. 

It's not a great run defense, but it's good enough. Every conceivable asset this offseason should go towards the offense. 

I think we are going to have 7 picks this draft.

2 oline

2 WR (or add a pass catching TE)

1 QB

Then with the last two picks a combo of DT, S, or RB

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Barton said:

The huff thing made me think about snacks, as well. Gotta keep huff. 

Huff is a goner, unfortunately. They discussed it on SNY post game. The blame should be on JD. Dead money on guys like Lawson, Lizard and Uzumeh. Otherwise they could afford to keep him, but not now.

14 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Huff is a goner, unfortunately. They discussed it on SNY post game. The blame should be on JD. Dead money on guys like Lawson, Lizard and Uzumeh. Otherwise they could afford to keep him, but not now.

I didn't see the discussion on SNY, but yeah the time to extend him was this past offseason after everyone passed up the opportunity to acquire Huff for just a 2nd rounder (nor to anyone's knowledge, offering a lower pick than that either). The thought should've been, we know what his ceiling is better than other teams, and he doesn't have the sack stats to get much more than that yet. 

Now with him reaching that 10-sack level, he's gone. Someone will offer him a starting job the Jets won't, but it won't be at $23MM/year so the Jets aren't tagging him after drafting 1st round edge rushers in each of the prior two seasons.

I don't know where people get the idea from that anyone's going to fork over a 2nd rounder (let alone more) to the Jets for the privilege of offering Huff a contract with that franchise tag amount being used as the basis for a long term deal. Then if they don't get an offer, they have to let Huff play out 1 more season at that amount -- IOW they have to be prepared for all potential suitors to call their bluff and keep him. The Jets didn't even make him a starter after losing Lawson for the season and with McDonald mostly watching from the sideline.

He wants to go elsewhere, and the Jets aren't in a position to do anything about it. He won't sign a long term deal here, knowing he won't start, and they can't risk keeping him for just 1 more year at that crazy amount by tagging him. 

I mean, I'd never say never, but it seems that'd be really unlikely. They'll get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2025.

McBendy had better be able to get to the QB 10x next year. 

Frankly I don’t see all the huffing about huff.  He had 9.5 sacks this past season and has been a really good edge rusher.  But he’s also not very good against the run so he’s not really worth more than a middle amount for an edge guy. Hard to say if Macdonald will be able to take his place but he actually might be more valuable if he can protect the edge and even take on a tight end in pass coverage.

7 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

why the **** was Woody of all people making that call? He should be scrooge mcduck diving into his money or chasing a laser pointer or doing anything that doesn't involve personnel decisions. 

This has been the main problem last 15 years.  Woody is shadow Executive VP of football operations 

For all of the Huff talk, the far more direct comparison here would be Fatukasi, who the Jets let walk a couple of years ago.

Both good players, particularly against the run, but also their respective departures were nowhere close to being the Jets' biggest problems then or now, which was the primary reason they were let to walk.

7 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

why the **** was Woody of all people making that call? He should be scrooge mcduck diving into his money or chasing a laser pointer or doing anything that doesn't involve personnel decisions. 

When I saw this on Twitter this was my exact reaction. WTH is the GM?

It could have been any player, I don’t care, the process is broken.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:52 PM, NYJCAP2 said:

When I saw this on Twitter this was my exact reaction. WTH is the GM?

It could have been any player, I don’t care, the process is broken.

The process is pathological. Woody is a mental case.