If the Jets don’t draft a quarterback how would you feel about Sam Howell?

1 hour ago, SoJetsy said:

Saleh wants Brisset, see him post game whisper to Brisset after the Washington game where he came in and looked pretty darn good.

Yea my money is on Brissett. Hope he wants to come here, I could see him starting in NE if they want a rookie to sit a year

• Sympathy 1

Yea my money is on Brissett. Hope he wants to come here, I could see him starting in NE if they want a rookie to sit a year
Ah yes ... They would do what grown ups do ... Have patience, plan for the future, and educate their children for success.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

see thats the problem, most of the good backups go to teams where there is a chance to start. 

Minshew: went to the Colts with a rookie QB who sometimes struggle. and just his luck he got injured and Minshew played well. 

Dalton: backed up a rookie in Carolina

Brissett: went to backup a 2nd yr QB in Howell. at 31 time is running out for him to find a place to start.

White: went to backup Tua who was one concussion away from retirement.

Marriota: the only good backup to go to a team he knew he was never going to start in Phila.

this is why im not killing JD for not getting someone better than Zach. how were you going to convince any of these guys that they had a chance to play with Rodgers over any of the places they went. and even coming off the injury im not sure you could convince them this year to come here. barring a injury Rodgers is NEVER going to get benched. but young unproven QB do. 

trading for Howell might be the best option. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Saleh wants Brisset, see him post game whisper to Brisset after the Washington game where he came in and looked pretty darn good.

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Finally, FINALLY, they’d be doing something to win support from @dbatesman

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

see thats the problem, most of the good backups go to teams where there is a chance to start. 

Minshew: went to the Colts with a rookie QB who sometimes struggle. and just his luck he got injured and Minshew played well. 

Brissett: went to backup a 2nd yr QB in Howell. at 31 time is running out for him to find a place to start.

Marriota: the only good backup to go to a team he knew he was never going to start in Phila.

this is why im not killing JD for not getting someone better than Zach. how were you going to convince any of these guys that they had a chance to play with Rodgers over any of the places they went. and even coming off the injury im not sure you could convince them this year to come here. barring a injury Rodgers is NEVER going to get benched. but young unproven QB do. 

Even if you want to argue it was ok for JD to not get a QB2 upgrade in June of last year (I strongly argued against letting Zach be the QB2 entering the season at the time), he sure as sh*t should have been aggressively going after one the moment Rodgers went down.

Instead it took him 15 days to add Siemian and then it was another 2 months after that until Siemian finally got activated.

And meanwhile, Minshew signed with Indy for just 1 year, $3.5M.  Yes, he partly went to a place where he could start, but cmon.  We offer Minshew $5M or so and/or a 2-year deal and he signs here.  Instead we signed Dalvin Cook for $7M….

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Ah yes ... They would do what grown ups do ... Have patience, plan for the future, and educate their children for success.

How much, exactly, do you think these QBs learn by not playing?  Just curious what you think is going on when they “sit and learn”.

Btw, no rookie QBs sit a full year any more.  Many not even more than a few weeks.  Hell, Herbert was supposed to sit a while until a Tyrod injury forced him in in Week 2.  Quite a few still turn out fine.  Weird how that works.  

Sitting is overrated, Peyton Manning agrees with me, and the available data supports this take as well.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How much, exactly, do you think these QBs learn by not playing?  Just curious what you think is going on when they “sit and learn”.

Btw, no rookie QBs sit a full year any more.  Many not even more than a few weeks.  Hell, Herbert was supposed to sit a while until a Tyrod injury forced him in in Week 2.  Quite a few still turn out fine.  Weird how that works.  

Sitting is overrated, Peyton Manning agrees with me, and the available data supports this take as well.

Maybe, but Green Bay seems to have found their 3rd franchise QB in a row basically. Just because no one does. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t work if they do. Yet, you don’t end up with a franchise QB no matter how long they sit if you don’t start with one either. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if you want to argue it was ok for JD to not get a QB2 upgrade in June of last year (I strongly argued against letting Zach be the QB2 entering the season at the time), he sure as sh*t should have been aggressively going after one the moment Rodgers went down.

Instead it took him 15 days to add Siemian and then it was another 2 months after that until Siemian finally got activated.

And meanwhile, Minshew signed with Indy for just 1 year, $3.5M.  Yes, he partly went to a place where he could start, but cmon.  We offer Minshew $5M or so and/or a 2-year deal and he signs here.  Instead we signed Dalvin Cook for $7M….

i agree he should have got anyone not named Zach, i was just pointing out how the best backups went to better places to start. and Sieman was a horrible move. makes me wonder if Rodgers told him not to get Wentz.

im not sure you get Minshew for a couple of more million. Rodgers rarely got hurt and Minshew was forced to be a backup in Phila for 2 years. the guy was pretty decent in Jax so i dont see him wanted to ride the bench for 2 years.

and now you can forget him coming here. he just did what every backup dreams of, he got to start alot of games and played well. he just might get a chance to start like Baker did.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Maybe, but Green Bay seems to have found their 3rd franchise QB in a row basically. Just because no one does. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t work if they do. Yet, you don’t end up with a franchise QB no matter how long they sit if you don’t start with one either. 

I just don’t think sitting is what made Aaron Rodgers great and Jordan Love good.  

For every good/great QB out there who sat for a while there are just as many who played right away (somewhere in the Week 1-4 range of their rookie years).  Peyton, Donovan McNabb, Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Tannehill, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Stroud just to name a few.  

There’s also plenty of highly drafted QBs who sat for a while and still sucked.  Cade McNown, Marques Tuiasosopo, J.P. Losman, Jason Campbell, JaMarcus Russell, Kevin Kolb, Brian Brohm, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Hackenberg, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock and Trey Lance are on that list.

I think we can all agree that, while there’s no way to prove it, Zach Wilson would still have sucked a$$ even if he sat a year and a half.  Theres no fixing a slow processing brain.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, August said:

Stuff like this is why I can’t wait until all these clowns are fired 

No confidence in their ability to identify and draft a guy, NO let’s take Washington leftovers

Oh and lets also leak our interest to give the commanders all the leverage 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

On 1/8/2024 at 12:33 PM, August said:

Washington is more than likely drafting a QB so they’ll probably be open to trading Howell. He’s still young and he showed some promise this year. Him sitting behind Rodgers for a year or two wouldn’t be a bad thing. 

1-The Jets were really, really high on Wilson. I trust my mechaninc diagnosing a brain issue more than the Jets QB evaluation skills.

2-No one will sit behind Rogers for a year or two unless they are QB 4. Rogers won't last more than a few games.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just don’t think sitting is what made Aaron Rodgers great and Jordan Love good.  

For every good/great QB out there who sat for a while there are just as many who played right away (somewhere in the Week 1-4 range of their rookie years).  Peyton, Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Tannehill, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Stroud just to name a few.  

There’s also plenty of highly drafted QBs who sat for a while and still sucked.  Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Hackenberg, Dwayne Haskins are a few of those.

I think we can all agree that, while there’s no way to prove it, Zach Wilson would still have sucked a$$ even if he sat a year and a half.  Theres no fixing a slow processing brain.

Zach would have sucked no matter what. Agreed! Haha, Yet, I do think a littie time learning behind a guy who is very good at it isn’t the inky factor obviously but useful if everything else is dove right. Most important thing? Just start with the right guy. 

55 minutes ago, doitny said:

I'd consider Howell if we strike out on everyone else but it sounds like Commanders want to keep him since he was room mates with Drake Maye

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Zach would have sucked no matter what. Agreed! Haha, Yet, I do think a littie time learning behind a guy who is very good at it isn’t the inky factor obviously but useful if everything else is dove right. Most important thing? Just start with the right guy. 

Yes, exactly, lol.  QB evaluation (yes, its really hard to do) is more important than QB development. 

These guys need to come out of the box mostly ready to go, relatively speaking, in today's game.  It's never been easier to play QB than it is now with all the rule changes so its not exactly an unreasonable ask.

Sitting a few weeks is perfectly fine but in the end it really makes no difference.  And again....no one outside of the Packers goes a full year without starting these guys.  If you're planning on sitting a guy a full year he had better not be a guy you're using a 1st or early 2nd rounder on.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, exactly, lol.  QB evaluation (yes, its really hard to do) is more important than QB development. 

These guys need to come out of the box mostly ready to go, relatively speaking, in today's game.  It's never been easier to play QB than it is now with all the rule changes so its not exactly an unreasonable ask.

Sitting a few weeks is perfectly fine but in the end it really makes no difference.  And again....no one outside of the Packers goes a full year without starting these guys.  If you're planning on sitting a guy a full year he had better not be a guy you're using a 1st or early 2nd rounder on.

“Yep, doesn’t matter how long you sit on the egg if it wasn’t Fertile in the first place.” 

-The Chicken 

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, doitny said:

i agree he should have got anyone not named Zach, i was just pointing out how the best backups went to better places to start. and Sieman was a horrible move. makes me wonder if Rodgers told him not to get Wentz.

Teddy Bridgewater was left unsigned until August 10th.  Davis Mills could have been gotten in a trade for peanuts at any time.  Same with Case Keenum, Houston's current QB3.  Flacco was on his couch until November.  I'm sure Jameis Winston could have been acquired from the Saints for a reasonable price.  Hell, even Will Grier would have been a superior option to Zach and he was chilling on the Bengals/Patriots Practice Squads until the Chargers added him to their active roster in December. There were options throughout the summer and even in-season that make it impossible for JD to have an excuse on this one.

Some creativity during the offseason OR urgency after the Rodgers injury would have been nice.  Going "all in" on Zach Wilson as the QB2 in 2023 after having gone all in on him as the QB 2021-22 made no f**king sense.  He should have been the QB3 from the jump and it was so easy to see how this would end in disaster if Rodgers went down.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd consider Howell if we strike out on everyone else but it sounds like Commanders want to keep him since he was room mates with Drake Maye

Why would any team part with a competent backup qb when nearly every starter got hurt last year.  Draft your own backups.  The jets are going to have to learn this as well. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Depends on the individual ... 

26 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Depends on the individual ... 

Not really.  That's what sample size is there for.  See my other post about it above:

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For every good/great QB out there who sat for a while there are just as many who played right away (somewhere in the Week 1-4 range of their rookie years).  Peyton, Donovan McNabb, Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Tannehill, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Stroud just to name a few.  

There’s also plenty of highly drafted QBs who sat for a while and still sucked.  Cade McNown, Marques Tuiasosopo, J.P. Losman, Jason Campbell, JaMarcus Russell, Kevin Kolb, Brian Brohm, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Hackenberg, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock and Trey Lance are on that list.