Why didn’t Todd Bowles Bowles call a time out: MERGED

Why did Detroit snap the ball with 15 seconds on the clock and take a knee?   Shouldn't they have run the clock down to 1?  

Bowles made a mistake.  So did the staff for Detroit on the snap.  Don't think either mistake changes the outcome. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

What?  Why?  Kickers DO miss 45 yarders....look at Buffalo last night.  It's at the very least worth seeing it play out.  C'mon man, you know taking the timeout was the right play.

Honestly I just assumed the graphic was wrong and they didn't actually have one.  It made zero sense not to use it.  Make them kick the field goal.  If they miss or you block, you're still in the game.  It's not like we're talking a one in a million chance here.  What's the worst that can happen?  He makes it and you let the kickoff go through the end zone and then take a knee?  Versus best case, he misses and you have 30+ seconds to pull off a miracle.  

That is EXACTLY what I thought too.  It's hard to believe how bone-headed these guys really are.  Both Bowles and Campbell.

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why did Detroit snap the ball with 15 seconds on the clock and take a knee?   Shouldn't they have run the clock down to 1?  

Bowles made a mistake.  So did the staff for Detroit on the snap.  Don't think either mistake changes the outcome. 

Yes, both were completely idiotic mistakes.  For all the money these teams pay for players, coaches, etc, this type of stuff is completely inexcusable.  Teams have analytics nerds slicing and dicing up data yet they can't figure this type of stuff out?!  It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's very unlikely the Bucs would have been able to tie the game if they called a timeout. That doesn't mean it wasn't a huge F up. They had a chance still and Bowles was like nah - we can't do it just let the clock run out.

loser.

• Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The worst coaching decision in the entire game was Dan Campbell choosing not to challenge the baker sack when his calf was down 

The way it ended the game was over 

Lets not forget baker just threw a dumb int. He was just gonna throw another one 

Baker had a terrific game overall.  But even if he stunk the place up, there's still no excuse for not trying to give yourself a chance there.  Our former HC, Herm Edwards, was part of one of those types of impossible plays.  That stuff can happen.

11 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Todd Bowles is a loser.

His team marched 92 yards in 72 seconds to score a TD right before halftime and he gave up on his team at the end of the game. He's an absolute joke of a head coach.

Bowles seems like such a nice guy and he did a good job as HC this year but that is just freaking inexcusable. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's very unlikely the Bucs would have been able to tie the game if they called a timeout. That doesn't mean it wasn't a huge F up. They had a chance still and Bowles was like nah - we can't do it just let the clock run out.

loser.

Detroit's coaching staff was equally as dumb in the way they managed the clock.  Bowles was the HC of the NY Jets.  I'm sure that damaged portions of his brain.  What's Campbells excuse?

• Haha 1

Just now, Biggs said:

Detroit's coaching staff was equally as dumb in the way they managed the clock.  Bowles was the HC of the NY Jets.  I'm sure that damaged portions of his brain.  What's Campbells excuse?

whataboutism

Campbell was dumb. Fine, no argument from me.

I think consciously quitting and giving up is a much bigger sin than making a dumb decision. It's also what Bowles was known for when he coached the Jets. I legit stopped watching the Jets when he was the coach for this exact reason. It's the only time I ever did that as a fan since I was a kid in the 80's.

• Upvote 1

think consciously quitting and giving up is a much bigger sin than making a dumb decision

OK so let's say they play this last drive where they have a 2 percent chance and Wirfs blows out his knee 

There's something to be said for just ending the game without any other injuries

Bowles and Campbell are both former players and hate those outcomes 

Real dicks like belly grind every oz of life out of their roster 

I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

whataboutism

Campbell was dumb. Fine, no argument from me.

I think consciously quitting and giving up is a much bigger sin than making a dumb decision. It's also what Bowles was known for when he coached the Jets. I legit stopped watching the Jets when he was the coach for this exact reason. It's the only time I ever did that as a fan since I was a kid in the 80's.

You woul never have heard Zach Wilson gives us the best chance to win from Todd Bowles.  

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

OK so let's say they play this last drive where they have a 2 percent chance and Wirfs blows out his knee 

There's something to be said for just ending the game without any other injuries

Disagree.  Were talking one game from the SB if you pull this out.  It's worth the squeeze.

• Upvote 1

what does this have to do with Bowles being a quitter?

The team we both root for quit on the season after 4 plays.  Bowles got a mediocre Bucs team to the second round of the playoffs with a journeyman QB and a less than elite D and O.  

Bowles made a mistake that wouldn't have changed the outcome.  Campbell made a mistake that didn't change the outcome.  

This Bowls is a quitter narrative is a low rent attack by a disgruntled Jets fan.  I just assumed you were being an appoligist for the current Jets management.

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The team we both root for quit on the season after 4 plays.  Bowles got a mediocre Bucs team to the second round of the playoffs with a journeyman QB and a less than elite D and O.  

Bowles made a mistake that wouldn't have changed the outcome.  Campbell made a mistake that didn't change the outcome.  

This Bowls is a quitter narrative is a low rent attack by a disgruntled Jets fan.  I just assumed you were being an appoligist for the current Jets management.

The Jets won 2 of their last 3 games. They beat several playoff teams this year. How did they quit? I wish they would have after they were eliminated so we were picking higher in the draft.

Bowles literally admitted to quitting yesterday. It's not a narrative. WTAF are you talking about bro?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets won 2 of their last 3 games. They beat several playoff teams this year. How did they quit? I wish they would have so we were picking higher in the draft.

Bowles literally admitted to quitting yesterday. It's not a narrative. WTAF are you talking about bro?

JD disapeared at the trade deadline and did nothing to improve the team after Rodgers went down.  They won two meaningless games after getting blown out by Miami and Cleveland.  They were a turd when it counted.  

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

JD disapeared at the trade deadline and did nothing to improve the team after Rodgers went down.  They won two meaningless games after getting blown out by Miami and Cleveland.  They were a turd when it counted.  

So did they win those games by quitting or, what? Where are you going with this?

Bowles is a quitter. Pointing out issues with the current staff doesn't change that. 

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Disagree.  Were talking one game from the SB if you pull this out.  It's worth the squeeze.

The only reason this looks so bad is because Goff kneeled with 16 seconds on his play clock 

let's go through the math again but pretend Bowles was actually trying to get it back for real 

1:33 1st down at tbb 28. kneel. Last Time out. 

1:32 2nd down at the tbb 29. Kneel

Minus 40 seconds 

0:52 3rd down at the tbb 30. Kneel

Minus 40 seconds 

0:12 punt minus 5-6 seconds or FG minus 3 seconds plus a kick off 

We're basically talking about 5 or 10 seconds left if it's for real 

To go back on a concession is bad form and don't forget these hcs are all in the union together they all give each other jobs it's not like I hate you and want you dead (except for belly he's like that) 

But let's imagine Bowles doesn't concede. It comes down to less than 10 seconds or possibly nothing left after a squib kick off 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

The only reason this looks so bad is because Goff kneeled with 16 seconds on his play clock 

let's go through the math again but pretend Bowles was actually trying to get it back for real 

1:33 1st down at tbb 28. kneel. Last Time out. 

1:32 2nd down at the tbb 29. Kneel

Minus 40 seconds 

0:52 3rd down at the tbb 30. Kneel

Minus 40 seconds 

0:12 punt minus 5-6 seconds or FG minus 3 seconds plus a kick off 

We're basically talking about 5 or 10 seconds left if it's for real 

To go back on a concession is bad form and don't forget these hcs are all in the union together they all give each other jobs it's not like I hate you and want you dead (except for belly he's like that) 

But let's imagine Bowles doesn't concede. It comes down to less than 10 seconds or possibly nothing left after a squib kick off 

Campbell and Goff screwed up.  Bowles has to call the TO.   You can also block a kick and score a TD.  It's happened. They were down 1 score, it's the playoffs you squeeze every drop.  That's what's expected of the HC.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

i watched at a bar in tampa

ppl did not freak our and curse

another jet fan and I freaked out and cursed when he went for 2. wtf??? me and this dude from babylon reminded each other about how lame he was.

Going for 2 was the correct call based on the odds.

You absolutely take that shot to try to advance in the playoffs. A 1% chance is a 1% chance to keep your season afloat. 

IMO it's also a huge mistake to leave Mayfield sitting on that game losing interception as the last play of the season. He seems like a QB who had his confidence rocked before this season, why have him spend the offseason reliving that play over and over? Give him a shot at throwing the hail mary or the Miami miracle. The play probably doesn't land but at least he walks off the field not feeling like he alone blew the season with that interception.

Most likely this was an oversight rather than an intentional decision to let the game go, which is typical Bowles poor in-game decision-making.

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

LMFAO!  Come on now!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It is the smart way to play it, and I was shocked "old school" Bowles actually listened to his analytics guys.

It looked dumb as hell to me at the time until Collinsworth explained the odds and reasoning.  Missing it really makes the argument to ignore the analytics guys.

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So did they win those games by quitting or, what? Where are you going with this?

Bowles is a quitter. Pointing out issues with the current staff doesn't change that. 

No doubt both Washington and New England out tanked us.  

Bowles made a mistake, he didn't quit.  He was embarrased to own up to it.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It is the smart way to play it, and I was shocked "old school" Bowles actually listened to his analytics guys.

I don't think it's an option anymore.  Analytics rule the day.  The only exception to that is when it comes to not using your final TO to potentially keep your season alive.  

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

No doubt both Washington and New England out tanked us.  

Bowles made a mistake, he didn't quit.  He was embarrased to own up to it.

Did I miss something Bowles said? All I saw was the quote about quitting. That's not a mistake, it's a conscious decision.

Taking a knee too soon is a mistake.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Did I miss something Bowles said? All I saw was the quote about quitting. That's not a mistake, it's a conscious decision.

Taking a knee too soon is a mistake.

Bowles didn't say anything about quitting.  What he said was they had the FG lined up and they would have had 12 seconds and no timeouts left.  He felt the game was over.  

What is clear is he didn't realize that Detroit failed to utilize all the time they should have.  Bowles was operating on the assumption that Detroit was using all the time on their knell downs they weren't.   He was wrong, he didn't quit.  Even if Detroit had used all their time he should have called the TO and tried to block the kick.  Hate the move but I think you're hate for Bowles is coloring your judgement.  HC get this situations at the end of games wrong all the time.  It's amazing they do but they do.

18 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

4th down at the 33, 36 seconds left, one time out. Call a timeout, force Lions to punt or try a 50+ yard FG. Chances are they punt and not risk a blocked FG. You’d still get about 25+ seconds against prevent D. Couple of short sideline passes and you could have possibly 2 shots at Hail Mary if all goes as planned. 

Why wave the white flag in a playoff game? If this was week 6, I’d understand you don’t wanna risk unnecessary injury for a shot at a miracle, but this is the playoffs. 

What is TB going to do with the time out? Use it in the off-season? If I was a Tampa Bay fan, I’d be livid. 

8F86DFB8-76D9-4D8D-BACB-9435389B6CCF.jpeg

Looks like 3rd down