Trade value for Zach Wilson? “A two week stay at a Best Western”

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Trey Lance can run and at least be a package QB.  He was also expected to take some time to develop.  Most importantly, Dallas "jumped at picking him up" when he had well more than a season left on his deal.  This hypothetical team is going to trade for Zach, pay him $5.5M and "redeem him" so that he can become and unrestricted free agent in 2025.  Unless you think they are going to go the Darnold route and exercise the option.  There is no team picking him up as a #3 project QB and agreeing to pay him $23M for 2025, so I don't see it.

Which is why him weaseling his way back on the roster seems like the likeliest scenario. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Which is why him weaseling his way back on the roster seems like the likeliest scenario. 

Yes.  It is interesting.  His experience, pathetic though it may be, would seem to be a positive.  OTOH, him playing so much would seem to have exposed what he actually is.  @Beerfish is certainly correct that there is no shortage of NFL front office people that think they are smarter than everybody else and that they can get something where others couldn't.  See Darnold, Sam.  With Saleh, LaFleur and Hackett they may be right.  Still, having seen this much of Zach, I can't imagine anybody thinking they will get $5.5M worth out of him for 2024 or $28.5M out of him for 2024 and 2025.  I am frequently surprised at the stupidity of NFL teams, so it is certainly still possible. 

• Upvote 4

Heard Connor Hughes asked about this and he said it’s what he heard as well at the Senior Bowl—that nobody is giving Zach Wilson $5.5 mil to be their QB3 and with teams only carrying two QBs, nobody is going to entrust their backup spot to Wilson at this stage in his career. It’s his feeling that Douglas is going to be lucky to score a late-round pick swap for him, and it‘s likely that Zach ends up on a practice squad next season. Ouch. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Heard Connor Hughes asked about this and he said it’s what he heard as well at the Senior Bowl—that nobody is giving Zach Wilson $5.5 mil to be their QB3 and with teams only carrying two QBs, nobody is going to entrust their backup spot to Wilson at this stage in his career. It’s his feeling that Douglas is going to be lucky to score a late-round pick swap for him, and it‘s likely that Zach ends up on a practice squad next season. Ouch. 

Kind of what I was saying, but doesn't the rule where the extra QB does not count against the active roster mean that more teams will carry a QB3 active?

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I have to imagine if team Wilson were to ever get a dose of reality,  this is the offseason it happens. They just seem so psychologically disconnected from everything. Woody will always be their perfect match. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kind of what I was saying, but doesn't the rule where the extra QB does not count against the active roster mean that more teams will carry a QB3 active?

Hughes postulated that teams were going to pivot toward paying the QB2 $10 million per because so many starters keep getting hurt, which you’d imagine would turn QB3 into an unpaid internship. 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I have to imagine if team Wilson were to ever get a dose of reality,  this is the offseason it happens. They just seem so psychologically disconnected from everything. Woody will always be their perfect match. 

Gotta imagine Uncle Steve will end up getting Zach released which will open up his options pretty wide. 

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I didn't see anyone thinking he could fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  I was hopeful that someone would give up a 4th round pick for him, but it seems that that ship has sailed.

there were a few early on. they though since JD got a 2nd for Darnold he could do the same or at least get a 3rd rd pick. but Sam was better than Zach. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gotta imagine Uncle Steve will end up getting Zach released which will open up his options pretty wide. 

wait, Steve Cohan is getting Zach for the Mets? it wouldnt surprise me how this offseason is going. someone should tell Stearns his owner has the most money in the league and not with those cheap Brewers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So exactly what the smart among us on this board have been saying about his true value for years.  lmao.  

Counter-argument:  @TuscanyTile2 said there will be a "bidding war" for Zach Wilson's services this offseason.  So maybe we should take what everyone else around the league is saying with a grain of salt, huh.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, doitny said:

there were a few early on. they though since JD got a 2nd for Darnold he could do the same or at least get a 3rd rd pick. but Sam was better than Zach. 

Yep.  And Sam had a few legitimate excuses here.  Zach Wilson does not.  He was out-performed by Josh Johnson in the exact same set of circumstances, for f**k's sake.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So exactly what the smart among us on this board have been saying about his true value for years.  lmao.  

Counter-argument:  @TuscanyTile2 said there will be a "bidding war" for Zach Wilson's services this offseason.  So maybe we should take what everyone else around the league is saying with a grain of salt, huh.

A bidding war doesn't mean we're getting a 2nd rounder or something like that.  It just means that we'd get a better draft pick than if there was only a couple of teams that had lukewarm interest in him.  I still think there will be teams that find his natural ability compelling enough that they'll think he'll be worth trading for.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A bidding war doesn't mean we're getting a 2nd rounder or something like that.  It just means that we'd get a better draft pick than if there was only a couple of teams that had lukewarm interest in him.  I still think there will be teams that find his natural ability compelling enough that they'll think he'll be worth trading for.

My guy.  “Natural ability” doesn’t get you a QB2 job, and $5.5M is way too much to pay a project QB3.  

If he had 2 years left on his deal you’d have a case.  On an expiring deal, the team trading for him would be highly unlikely to reap any benefit out of his “development”.  

The trading team is giving up a pick, AND $5.5M of cap space, AND devoting a roster spot to a 3rd QB, AND would need to negotiate an extension in 2025 if they are to get any ROI.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I guess, but we need cap space nearly as much as we need draft capital, so would that really be worth it for either side of the deal?

If the option is release him for $11m hit or trade him for a $10m hit, I know which one I'd take lol.

As far as the team trading for him, I'm not sure we'd be having trade discussions with that team if taking all his money wasn't good enough for them.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My guy.  “Natural ability” doesn’t get you a QB2 job, and $5.5M is way too much to pay a project QB3.  

If he had 2 years left on his deal you’d have a case.  On an expiring deal, the team trading for him would be highly unlikely to reap any benefit out of his “development”.  

The trading team is giving up a pick, AND $5.5M of cap space, AND devoting a roster spot to a 3rd QB, AND would need to negotiate an extension in 2025 if they are to get any ROI.  

These are all good points. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zach could very well and easily win a backup job in training camp. And the 5.5 isn't a big deal for a backup QB. He looked good last year in training camp according to Jets CS. And I think he could do ok coming late into games relieving an ineffective or injured QB. But not starting. At least until now after 32 starts he's too inconsistent to effectively and successfully run an offense an entire game. But he has big play ability. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Zach could very well and easily win a backup job in training camp. And the 5.5 isn't a big deal for a backup QB. He looked good last year in training camp according to Jets CS. And I think he could do ok coming late into games relieving an ineffective or injured QB. But not starting. At least until now after 32 starts he's too inconsistent to effectively and successfully run an offense an entire game. But he has big play ability. 

lol.  So you’re still talking about $5.5M and a pick for a guy who could MAYBE win the QB2 job in camp, lol.

He hasn’t won a job since BYU.  No smart team out there is taking a chance on that when they can just pick him up after we cut him or let him walk in ‘25.  There are lots of better QB2 options out there this offseason.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  So you’re still talking about $5.5M and a pick for a guy who could MAYBE win the QB2 job in camp, lol.

He hasn’t won a job since BYU.  No smart team out there is taking a chance on that when they can just pick him up after we cut him or let him walk in ‘25.  There are lots of better QB2 options out there this offseason.  

Well you're right he hasn't really won a starting job ever. If you believe the Jets CS he has but I don't see it. But with another team he won't get favored status. 

On 2/8/2024 at 6:17 AM, Rangers9 said:

EC3CEAD0-9EF7-4298-A49F-2C5FDCAE042E.thumb.jpeg.0ea64f58b8da5ceffa9b81f9f8f2e2c2.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:21 PM, doitny said:

I wanted the Jets to keep Sam, and build around him.  We could have gotten a king's ransom for our #2 pick that year.  Seems like I was smarter than the bunch of them.  And I'm not smart enough to build a championship team, so how is JD and company ever going to do it?

• Upvote 2

On 2/7/2024 at 9:12 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Between Wendy's and Chick-Fil-A? 

• Haha 1

Trade value for Zach Wilson? “A two week stay at a Best Western”

*Room does not include keys, towels, sheets, pillowcases, pillows, or a bed. No carpeting, no wallpaper, no paint. The toilet doesn't flush, the shower doesn't work. There is no water, no lights, no toiletries, no toilet paper, no little coffee maker, no heat or AC, no cable, no TV, no power. The windows are nailed shut, the curtains are stuck closed. No fridge, no do not disturb sign. The safe does not lock, the phone only gets a busy signal.

**Breakfast buffet not included.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Looks like the value just went down after owner said the player sucks. 

Lol no. Nobody in the NFL listens to the opinion of woody Johnson when it comes to football at least lol. Zach value was Always doggsh*tt, because he is just that.

• Upvote 3

On 2/8/2024 at 4:45 AM, bla bla bla said:

If the option is release him for $11m hit or trade him for a $10m hit, I know which one I'd take lol.

As far as the team trading for him, I'm not sure we'd be having trade discussions with that team if taking all his money wasn't good enough for them.

Practice Squad

On 2/10/2024 at 3:21 PM, Alka said:

I wanted the Jets to keep Sam, and build around him.  We could have gotten a king's ransom for our #2 pick that year.  Seems like I was smarter than the bunch of them.  And I'm not smart enough to build a championship team, so how is JD and company ever going to do it?

Which would have been a bad move.  We got more than fair value in the trade for Sam and he can't start in the NFL.  The problem had nothing to do with trading Sam, it was drafting Zach.  Not much different than drafting Becton.