A defense of Woody Johnson

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

In 5 more year he will be at an age where he might just forget he owns the team!

By that time Christopher and young Brick will be trained by Woody. The future is secure. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Logic, it's called logic.

Unlike the blame every thing on the owner and let the GM and coach off the hook logic.

Unless we are sitting in all meetings no one knows right?

Exactly. However, I personally find it unlikely that Woody had nothing to do with major decisions about how to spend his money. Few owners in professional football are simply check writers with no input on how their team organizes talent. Do they get advisors, yes. But again, that's what CEO of corporations do as well. Consultants have a thriving trade in all walks of business. But the owner or CEO has to still make the final decision. I'm guessing that there was a lot more infighting and differences of philosophy along the way in the Jets executive suite. For most decisions, I could see Woody rubber stamping JD's recommendation. But on high first round draft picks or stuff like the Rodgers deal, Woody would have to be very involved if not leading the charge. 

21 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

The Jets do have the longest playoffless drought in NA sports, but only through semantics. The Buffalo Sabres will have matched the Jets futility after this season. Since the last Sabres playoff appearance they have gone through 7 head coaches and have had FOUR top 2 draft picks. They still suck. 

The Sabres are owned by the same guy who owns the Bills. The team that is currently dominating the AFC East. 

My theory:

Ownership doesn’t matter and front office doesn’t matter. These GMs don’t go to school for this job. Most of them are just hired through some connection and stick in front offices because they didn’t have a good enough playing career to become a coach. There is no exact science on how to pick these players. It’s a total crap shoot that an AI Generated chimpanzee can easily do just as effectively as the best GM in NFL. You think Joe Schoen knows more about NFL football than Bill Belichick (who supposedly sucks as a Gm?)

Success in pro sports is all about the players and coaches. Acquiring the right players is mostly luck and circumstance. 

Don’t blame Woody. 

I feel so much better now that I know the ******* Sabres are just as putrid as we are.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

The Jets do have the longest playoffless drought in NA sports, but only through semantics. The Buffalo Sabres will have matched the Jets futility after this season. Since the last Sabres playoff appearance they have gone through 7 head coaches and have had FOUR top 2 draft picks. They still suck. 

The Sabres are owned by the same guy who owns the Bills. The team that is currently dominating the AFC East. 

My theory:

Ownership doesn’t matter and front office doesn’t matter. These GMs don’t go to school for this job. Most of them are just hired through some connection and stick in front offices because they didn’t have a good enough playing career to become a coach. There is no exact science on how to pick these players. It’s a total crap shoot that an AI Generated chimpanzee can easily do just as effectively as the best GM in NFL. You think Joe Schoen knows more about NFL football than Bill Belichick (who supposedly sucks as a Gm?)

Success in pro sports is all about the players and coaches. Acquiring the right players is mostly luck and circumstance. 

Don’t blame Woody. 

I blame him. Worst owner in football.

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Chris Johnson hired Adam Gase.....I rest my case 

I would be very suprised if woody was not involved in the gase hiring

he was not in exhile or solitary. He was in England attending dinners and polo matches

you most likely work harder in one hour if your day then a diplomat does in a month

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I would be very suprised if woody was not involved in the gase hiring

he was not in exhile or solitary. He was in England attending dinners and polo matches

you most likely work harder in one hour if your day then a diplomat does in a month

I'm certain I work harder in a day than Woody has in the entirety of his life.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

would be very suprised if woody was not involved in the gase hiring

Nope....no verified sources support that. We know he was not in the meetings or interviews that year. There are certain regulations that require operational control concessions when appointed to a government post. Sorry but he was not involved. 

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Chris Johnson hired Adam Gase.....I rest my case 

Your honor, the prosecution would like to present the following evidence, that Woody Johnson has overseen a wretched franchise, under his direct charge:

-Record under Woody Johnson: 168-219, (6-6 playoffs) PLAYOFFS?????

-Point differential under Woody Johnson: -1,011 points!!!!

-(1) first place finish (9-7)

-(9) last place finishes. 

-(0) head coaches or GM's hired that had previous experience at those positions in the NFL. He just attracts talent, doesn't he?

Additionally, we would like to submit the following evidence that the owner meddles in areas he has no expertise, wants to be part of a spotlight, and demonstrates just a general characteristic of buffoonery:

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Your honor, the prosecution would like to present the following evidence, that Woody Johnson has overseen a wretched franchise, under his direct charge:

-(0) head coaches or GM's hired that had previous experience at those positions in the NFL. He just attracts talent, doesn't he?

Additionally, we would like to submit the following evidence that the owner meddles in areas he has no expertise, wants to be part of a spotlight, and demonstrates just a general characteristic of buffoonery:

-1011 points!

damn - I usually defend Woodrow but damn

22 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

My theory:

Don’t blame Woody. 

^I think your post just gave me diarrhea.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

My theory:

Don’t blame Woody. 

So the Steelers, ravens, packers, chiefs and 9ers which are teams year over year competative and on the cusp of playoffs are simply lucky?

If we’re analyzing Woody through the lens of winning, he’s indefensible.

However, that’s not his goal. His goal is to make money and the Jets don't need to win to do it. 

- Jets are the 6th most valuable franchise in the NFL at 6.1B and trending upward

- 2 uniform changes in the last 5 years (more revenue)

- winners of multiple offseasons which leads to more coverage for the team year-round - meaning more money

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

So the Steelers, ravens, packers, chiefs and 9ers which are teams year over year competative and on the cusp of playoffs are simply lucky?

Assuming that's the case.  How is Woody being cursed not his fault?

41 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jet Fans: 'Woody get us a modern facility"

Builds state of the Art facility in Florham Park

Jet Fans: "Woody hire JD and restructure "reporting" 

Jets hire JD 

Jet Fans "Woody, let JD pick the coach!!"

JD hires Saleh (who is regarded as a GREAT hire at the time)

Jet Fans: "Woody let Saleh pick his staff"

Saleh has full control of staff structure 

Jet Fans "Woody get AROD!!'

Woody gets AROD

Jet Fans: "Woody dont be temperamental!"

Gives JD his 6th year and Saleh his 4th

Result: Jet fans still hate Woody. I get it....losing suck, but its just a lazy take to think Woody is the "reason"  the Jets stink. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

If we’re analyzing Woody through the lens of winning, he’s indefensible.

However, that’s not his goal. His goal is to make money and the Jets don't need to win to do it. 

- Jets are the 6th most valuable franchise in the NFL at 6.1B and trending upward

- 2 uniform changes in the last 5 years (more revenue)

- winners of multiple offseasons which leads to more coverage for the team year-round - meaning more money

The sad part of this is, that I actually thinking woody is trying. he is just injecting himself into the equation of turning it around, when he shouldn't. I don't believe he is cheaping out. I don't believe that he is just curating an investment. I believe that he truly wants to win.

But, he wants to be seen to the fanbase as the guy that turned it around. He wants credit in that process. maybe daddy didn't give him enough attention, I don't know.

But he needs to step aside and let a football person manage football things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Jets hire JD 

Woody gets AROD

Result: Jet fans still hate Woody. I get it....losing suck, but its just a lazy take to think Woody is the "reason"  the Jets stink. 

It's funny, but I think your post literally points out why Woody sucks.  He shouldn't listen to the fans.  They are ******* morons.  Ten minutes listening to any podcast or sports talk radio and it's obvious, still he seems to cowtow to their (our?) whims.  

FWIW, I am not sure how the Hackett/Rodgers things fit in the letting the GM and HC pick the structure.  They seem kind of like moves with outside pressure, though Saleh having worked with Hackett and Ulbrich's fawning over Rodgers seems like they happily went along.

• Upvote 2

Jets hire JD 

Woody gets AROD

A recent counter to that could be running back a failed regime when you have several quality options avail to you 

what are the serious odds jd and saleh become successful at their positions this season?

of all people on this board, you know best when it comes to jd - he is fair at best to date and the performance of the team Under his watch is below that

you could have taken him out

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Jets hire JD 

Woody gets AROD

Reality of things, when things are consistently bad, look to the head and that is typically where the fish rots. Woody remains front and center giving ridiculous football takes when he should be deferring those comments to people that actually know what is happening within the game. He can't help himself. He is too stupid to know what he doesn't know. 

All those things you listed above? BLECHHH!!!! They are a bag of nothingness that tis coming from an empty vessel. They do nothing to get to the root of the problem. Let football people make football decisions. You want to be informed and advised to plans? Absolutely!!! You want to set a budget? I get that, it is your money. But get out of the football opinion business with the need to meddle. 

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's funny, but I think your post literally points out why Woody sucks.  He shouldn't listen to the fans.  They are ******* morons.  Ten minutes listening to any podcast or sports talk radio and it's obvious, still he seems to cowtow to their (our?) whims.  

FWIW, I am not sure how the Hackett/Rodgers things fit in the letting the GM and HC pick the structure.  They seem kind of like moves with outside pressure, though Saleh having worked with Hackett and Ulbrich's fawning over Rodgers seems like they happily went along.

I’m not so sure you can bundle the fans with the talking heads or podcasters.  Fans, by and large want their team to win.  Sportscasters or podcasters just want to sell copy so whatever sells the most is how they spin things.  And I think there are quite fans on this site and others that really do know what they’re talking about.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I’m not so sure you can bundle the fans with the talking heads or podcasters.  Fans, by and large want their team to win.  Sportscasters or podcasters just want to sell copy so whatever sells the most is how they spin things.  And I think there are quite fans on this site and others that really do know what they’re talking about.

The people that call in.  The ones creating this hue and cry.  They are morons.  Honestly, the biggest indictment of Saleh for me so far is that he texted Joe Beningo.  Not even what he texted him.  Simply texting him anything beyond him getting you a tee time seems insane. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Jets hire JD 

Woody gets AROD

Yes, managing via social media influence is such a sound strategy.

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

OK, so what would you have done these last 5 years? Enlighten us

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Let football people make football decisions. Y

HE HAS

That is the whole point of the damn post. 

Woody haters get mad "that all Woody does is tweet uniform stuff" but also get mad the moment they feel he is "meddling"

Do you want the owner involved or not? 

• Upvote 1

Oh, me, me, me!!!!

Hire A President of Football Operations to manage all aspects that relate to on the field performance. Give that position full breadth of whatever changes they want to make with a budget that I provide (Hopefully not skinflint). Ask for periodic updates and council with me, to ensure we mesh in organizational philosophy, and then let him go without meddling.

Then, when the media asks me for comments on team on field performance, I will state they should ask the person in charge of that, and let them know we are perfectly aligned.

You know, like how good teams and companies operate. 

HE HAS

That is the whole point of the damn post. 

Woody haters get mad "that all Woody does is tweet uniform stuff" but also get mad the moment they feel he is "meddling"

Do you want the owner involved or not? 

A twisting of you like a pretzel may have actually helped.  Did you see the Russini interview I posted in this thread? THAT is someone that is staying out of football operations? Yikes.