I'm still in Jets mode...

Maybe it's because the Islanders do my ******* head in, and I have slowly stopped caring about baseball over the years, but I still haven't really moved on from the Jets.  I'm still here every day, still looking at mock drafts every day, free agent lists, cap calculators, etc.  Usually I'll move on to another sport and football will fade away until the start of free agency for a few days, and then I'll get super invested again leading up to the draft.  I even tried watching the Knicks.....THE KNICKS....to see if "maybe I like basketball now" but no....still terrible.  

This year though I feel still pretty invested in this team.  Maybe it's because of what the expectations were going into this year, and thinking(hoping) we can get back to that.  It feels like we got cheated out of something potentially special.  You can say it was our own fault(not fixing the OL), but the fact remains we brought in one of the greatest QBs of all time and watched him play all of 4 snaps.  I feel like I was edged and now have to wait another 7 months for the payoff.

Is anyone else in this same boat?  Is this usually how it is for you guys(Jets all year round)?  This is new territory for me....not sure how I feel about it.  This could be a LONG 6 months or whatever til TC...even the draft feels like it's years away.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Maybe it's because the Islanders do my ******* head in, and I have slowly stopped caring about baseball over the years, but I still haven't really moved on from the Jets.  I'm still here every day, still looking at mock drafts every day, free agent lists, cap calculators, etc.  Usually I'll move on to another sport and football will fade away until the start of free agency for a few days, and then I'll get super invested again leading up to the draft.  I even tried watching the Knicks.....THE KNICKS....to see if "maybe I like basketball now" but no....still terrible.  

This year though I feel still pretty invested in this team.  Maybe it's because of what the expectations were going into this year, and thinking(hoping) we can get back to that.  It feels like we got cheated out of something potentially special.  You can say it was our own fault(not fixing the OL), but the fact remains we brought in one of the greatest QBs of all time and watched him play all of 4 snaps.  I feel like I was edged and now have to wait another 7 months for the payoff.

Is anyone else in this same boat?  Is this usually how it is for you guys(Jets all year round)?  This is new territory for me....not sure how I feel about it.  This could be a LONG 6 months or whatever til TC...even the draft feels like it's years away.  

as i have gotten older ive managed to not care about the other sports when my teams arent playing or are out of it early. i am always here for the NFL and the Jets. The NFL has become the 365 days a year real house wifes for men anyways.

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

as i have gotten older ive managed to not care about the other sports when my teams arent playing or are out of it early. i am always here for the NFL and the Jets. The NFL has become the 365 days a year real house wifes for men anyways.

I think that's slowly where I'm heading.  Baseball is nice, going to games at least.  A nice relaxing time with friends/family.  The obsession seems to have gone though.  I suppose it's possible it could return if the Mets become a team worth watching again, but it feels different than the way it feels with the Jets.  I feel like no matter what I'm trapped with this team.  Good or bad.  I'm destined to be invested year round, for the rest of my life.  

• I got over basketball awhile ago as it's pretty brutal to watch now. Just a bunch of super talented guys playing iso offense, but not a team game. It's a shame because 80s/90s NBA was just as exciting as the NFL. Now I can't even watch. I am a Phoenix Suns fan though and root for them when they're in the playoffs.
  • Hockey playoffs are always awesome to watch but I don't watch much of the regular season. As a Devils fan I've had my era of championships and are content if they're never good again.
  • I've barely watched baseball in the last 10 years. Like the Devils, as a Yankee fan I've had my dynasty to watch and am content if they never win it again. I could care less. Baseball is not the same but 90s + early 2000s baseball was amazing.
  • It's Jets all year round for me and I need to see that second Lombardi Trophy one day
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I think that's slowly where I'm heading.  Baseball is nice, going to games at least.  A nice relaxing time with friends/family.  The obsession seems to have gone though.  I suppose it's possible it could return if the Mets become a team worth watching again, but it feels different than the way it feels with the Jets.  I feel like no matter what I'm trapped with this team.  Good or bad.  I'm destined to be invested year round, for the rest of my life.  

baseball season is too long, and half of it basically doesn't matter as long as you don't stink. baseball is great because you can play it in the background in the summer while doing stuff, and not feel vested in every play.

26 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:
  • I got over basketball awhile ago as it's pretty brutal to watch now. Just a bunch of super talented guys playing iso offense, but not a team game. It's a shame because 80s/90s NBA was just as exciting as the NFL. Now I can't even watch. I am a Phoenix Suns fan though and root for them when they're in the playoffs.
  • Hockey playoffs are always awesome to watch but I don't watch much of the regular season. As a Devils fan I've had my era of championships and are content if they're never good again.
  • I've barely watched baseball in the last 10 years. Like the Devils, as a Yankee fan I've had my dynasty to watch and am content if they never win it again. I could care less. Baseball is not the same but 90s + early 2000s baseball was amazing.
  • It's Jets all year round for me and I need to see that second Lombardi Trophy one day

I think if I was a Devils fan I'd probably be more invested in hockey.  I've always been a fan of young, home-grown teams.  I think that's kind of why I've fell out with hockey a bit.  The Isles have traded their 1st rounders for like 5 straight years when they've typically been a team built from within for like the two decades+ I've been a fan.  It just started feeling weird, and watching them be a mediocre team with the worst prospect system and no picks to speak of was just.....meh.  Agreed about the playoffs though.  Even if my team isn't in it I'll enjoy watching.

Baseball started to lose me once interleague play became so random and constant, instead of like a thing that happened a couple times a year.  It lost me even more once the DH became a thing in the NL.  I always loved how the two leagues were completely separated from one another and felt different.  Now it's just a mish-mash of the same sh*t, and the World Series is always a matchup we've seen before instead of two teams facing off for the first time. 

Football still has me sucked in though, even when the Jets suck, and even when the game changes(no hard hits, and not touching the QB).  Not sure why that is but I'm not mad about it.  Hopefully this offseason doesn't drag though, which I'm sure it will lol.

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

I think if I was a Devils fan I'd probably be more invested in hockey.  I've always been a fan of young, home-grown teams.  I think that's kind of why I've fell out with hockey a bit.  The Isles have traded their 1st rounders for like 5 straight years when they've typically been a team built from within for like the two decades+ I've been a fan.  It just started feeling weird, and watching them be a mediocre team with the worst prospect system and no picks to speak of was just.....meh.  Agreed about the playoffs though.  Even if my team isn't in it I'll enjoy watching.

Baseball started to lose me once interleague play became so random and constant, instead of like a thing that happened a couple times a year.  It lost me even more once the DH became a thing in the NL.  I always loved how the two leagues were completely separated from one another and felt different.  Now it's just a mish-mash of the same sh*t, and the World Series is always a matchup we've seen before instead of two teams facing off for the first time. 

Football still has me sucked in though, even when the Jets suck, and even when the game changes(no hard hits, and not touching the QB).  Not sure why that is but I'm not mad about it.  Hopefully this offseason doesn't drag though, which I'm sure it will lol.

I've gotten into Rugby lately and it's absolutely awesome to watch.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Stadium Series game on Saturday was the most fun non-playoff sporting event I have ever attended in my life

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

The Stadium Series game on Saturday was the most fun non-playoff sporting event I have ever attended in my life

That was awesome and those jersey (CLOTHES AGAIN!!!) were equally awesome. I love the outdoor hockey games.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hmmm. I see this everywhere.

If anything, the NBA game was more iso-heavy in the 90s than it is now. Offenses are better nowadays about moving the ball for open 3s. 

• Upvote 1

Brutal time for sports, NBA and NHL regular seasons just dont do it for me, I'll pick it up int he playoffs.  Luckily, pitchers and catchers just reported and March Madness is right around the corner, which is my favorite time of the year for sports, so there is that at least to hold you over till free agency and the draft. 

• Upvote 1

I think that football, the seasons (both college and pro) being shorter, it holds our attention, along with the anticipation of free agency, the draft what with the zillions of mocks and endless debates on player selections or trade scenarios. Then the hours of debate on who got it right, wrong, and so forthe.

Before we know it, here comes training camp. Next thing we know it's opening weekend. All of that anticipation, and then well, let's not focus on the past LOL

Baseball, as much as I enjoy it is a marathon. The same can be said of hockey, but I enjoy it immensely. I'll watch the various soccer as I've friends who enjoy it (premier, Ligue 1, among others) 

The NBA is another marathon, but I haven't watched since the mid 90's. 

Prepare for torture... This is the best time of year to be a Jets fan ... Champs of the off-season nearly every other year.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2024 at 10:07 AM, bonkertons said:

Lets Go RRRRRRRRRANGERS

• Sympathy 1

Heh heh, Yesterday I was reminded of how many sports besides the Jets I used to follow in my youth when I was flipping the channels and stopped when I saw an aged Hubert Davis is now the coach of NC basketball... lol.

The Mets, Islanders, Knicks and St John's basketball were all peaking back in the 80's which to me was a golden era of NY sports which I loved going to games and religiously following.  

But, now it's all Jets for me with an occasional bandwagon jump on like 2 years back with the Islanders playoff run before they closed down the barn... 

Jets doldrums, which we're in suck but they're pretty short lived...

Baseball rule changes have helped. Right up there with the ability to fast forward, lol.

I'm a Braves fan and they have a great young team of talented good players who will be together for a good amount of time.

Jets are #1....2,3,4 but Baseball is still special.