Saleh not expected to attend scouting combine ***UPDATE- may be attending now****

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The combine gets big TV ratings. It’s not going to be cancelled. It’s too much of a showcase for guys the public doesn’t know much about. Mahomes did every drill and threw at the combine. Purdy did it all. Stroud threw last year. Not participating is a flag if you benchmark it against the stars that all did. Darnold if you recall did not throw at the combine. Neither did Bryce Young. 

This is silly.  I agree that the combine isn't going to be cancelled, but the guys that are working out are the ones that can improve their stock.  Not the ones at the top of the class.  Mahomes was considered a fringe 2nd round project at times during the process.  He was not the consensus #1 overall.  Trubisky went like 8 picks higher.  Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant.  Bryce Young and Darnold were at or near the top picks in their class.  Stroud threw.  Yipee.  Pretty sure Josh Rosen did too.  What a competitor!

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because he got an invite to play Augusta last year.  I’d run for that opportunity to play that incredible course and post a shltty score.  Doesn’t make him an avid golfer or a HC not doing his job.  
I’ll leave with the age old line.  GM’s scout and HCs coach.  Maybe he goes, shouldn’t make a difference. 

I don’t think that photo op was at Augusta.

anyways a list of my controversial takes:

-The Jets HC should attend the senior bowl and the combine. Face to face time with players, networking with other NfL employees is an important part of the job, especially for new/young coaches.

-The Jets are not in a position to cancel mini camp practices until they start winning consistently and they have veterans who know how to police things themselves. Also, every slotted padded practice should be utilized. Not shells, full pads. See Andy Reid’s philosophy here. Shells and shorts can come when you start winning.

- Young players need preseason reps, regardless if they are slated to start. 

- The GM shouldn’t be hidden from the fanbase. A clear person who’s in charge should be evident.

- The second overall pick and starting QB on a rookie contract  should enmesh himself in the city/place he was drafted by and not take off during bye weeks. Especially since he spent his entire college career in his backyard as essentially a commuter. My hope with the next QB who’s drafted these expectations are clear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is silly.  I agree that the combine isn't going to be cancelled, but the guys that are working out are the ones that can improve their stock.  Not the ones at the top of the class.  Mahomes was considered a fringe 2nd round project at times during the process.  He was not the consensus #1 overall.  Trubisky went like 8 picks higher.  Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant.  Bryce Young and Darnold were at or near the top picks in their class.  Stroud threw.  Yipee.  Pretty sure Josh Rosen did too.  What a competitor!

Show up. Throw. Compete. Not that hard.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think that photo op was at Augusta.

anyways a list of my controversial takes:

-The Jets HC should attend the senior bowl and the combine. Face to face time with players, networking with other NfL employees is an important part of the job, especially for new/young coaches.

-The Jets are not in a position to cancel mini camp practices until they start winning consistently and they have veterans who know how to police things themselves. 

- Young players need preseason reps, regardless if they are slated to start. 

- The GM shouldn’t be hidden from the fanbase. A clear person who’s in charge should be evident.

- The second overall pick and starting QB on a rookie contract  should enmesh himself in the city/place he was drafted by and not take off during bye weeks. Especially since he spent his entire college career in his backyard as essentially a commuter. My hope with the next QB who’s drafted these expectations are clear. 

You also were a little obsessed with what the Jets were doing in training camp practices….ie how hard Saleh worked the team and how often they wore pads.

But we can prob just roll that into the cancelled mini camp remonstrance for the sake of streamlining things.

Also no mention of Jet Blue conspiracy theory.

33 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

You also were a little obsessed with what the Jets were doing in training camp practices….ie how hard Saleh worked the team and how often they wore pads.

But we can prob just roll that into the cancelled mini camp remonstrance for the sake of streamlining things.

Also no mention of Jet Blue conspiracy theory.

Worth the read as to why this stuff matters…or at least get why I think it does…

https://theathletic.com/4769737/2023/08/18/andy-reid-chiefs-training-camp/

Interesting quote on Reid:

Toub: He loves it. He’s not going anywhere. People keep talking about retirement. He loves this. This is his hobby. I do other things. I like to play golf, go fishing. I’m trying to get him to go hunt. He won’t do it. This is all he does: football.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Worth the read as to why this stuff matters…or at least get why I think it does…

https://theathletic.com/4769737/2023/08/18/andy-reid-chiefs-training-camp/

Interesting quote on Reid:

Toub: He loves it. He’s not going anywhere. People keep talking about retirement. He loves this. This is his hobby. I do other things. I like to play golf, go fishing. I’m trying to get him to go hunt. He won’t do it. This is all he does: football.

This is something I can agree with you on. Not skipping the fn combine. 

It's vastly different reading this compared to what we've heard with the Jets. I get trying to prevent injuries but this team is too young and inexperienced to not be on them over and over and over.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

WHAT TIME DID HE GET TO THE FACILITY TODAY 

He took another day off which is cool because he's a coach which means he should only coach and there was no practice today.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think what's weird is how many people can't grasp the concept of wanting a head coach who is fully invested.

Coaches are not scouts 

Fun fact 

They often do a sh*t job of scouting like mangini and the boar hunter Rex and taj Boyd and Bill belly's entire drafting career 

In my line of work we have several annual conferences.  I can't say that every year when I go to the big one (which is actually right now), I have good meetings, get new work, etc.  But it is very important that I attend, show my face, be seen and learn things about my business, whether at a session, over coffee, or at the bar.  I always learn something that makes me a better professional at each of these locations.  

I don't get how Saleh can think he does not have to attend the Combine.  Andy Reid does not.  Saleh does. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mangini was an excellent talent evaluator

Eh... The gholston pick did happen on his watch 

In general coaches don't have as much influence on the draft as people believe 

They already have a full time job to be coaches. Expecting them to be offseason scouts too isn't really a great strategy 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mangini was an excellent talent evaluator

There’s a video out there of Mangini explaining the Schelegel pick. They got cute and traded down and didn’t think anyone had Chris Gocong as a third rounder, and sure enough he went one pick before the Jets picked and they panicked and went Schlegel. Mangini conceded he turned out to be all locker room guy and not enough ability. But Gocong who had a decent career was he pick.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

In my line of work we have several annual conferences.  I can't say that every year when I go to the big one (which is actually right now), I have good meetings, get new work, etc.  But it is very important that I attend, show my face, be seen and learn things about my business, whether at a session, over coffee, or at the bar.  I always learn something that makes me a better professional at each of these locations.  

I don't get how Saleh can think he does not have to attend the Combine.  Andy Reid does not.  Saleh does. 

He feels like the guy at work who always manages to get out of things. Eventually that catches up. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I was angry when Saleh was not going to the combine.

I am now angrier that he caved into pressure, showed he was weak and is now going to the combine.

116999ecb25ac04c42cdac0a91c578439f-29-an

Woody has been reading the board and said something to him.  That is sad.  

Something is going on here.  I am sure that Woody has had discussions with the on the sidelines coaches. 

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There’s a video out there of Mangini explaining the Schelegel pick. They got cute and traded down and didn’t think anyone had Chris Gocong as a third rounder, and sure enough he went one pick before the Jets picked and they panicked and went Schlegel. Mangini conceded he turned out to be all locker room guy and not enough ability. But Gocong who had a decent career was he pick.

I'm still mad about that one. I remember watching it in real-time and getting really mad when the Eagles took Gocong, then going nuclear when we bizarrely picked Schlegel.

I think we netted a 7th rounder for that dumb move.

It was a great draft overall with Brick and Nick, Eric Smith, Leon and Brad Smith - but that 3rd round trade down was stupid.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hysterical that Florio put Saleh on blast specifically. The responses are gold.

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Remember that quote Saleh had about looking for players who love football and not love what football gives them? He was telling on himself. I can’t imagine not being present for the senior bowl or combine in a  do or die season. Guys who put together draft boards for fun in their spare time want to be there. 

Saleh = Survivor

4Levels.png.4afca8934a009cb77725ce002963ef38.png

• Post of the Week 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:29 PM, Jack Straw said:

Woody Johnson has never shelled out top dollar for a head coach. Challenge me on this, and I'm all ears. But answer me this - who was the last head coach under Woody's tenure to crack the top 15-20 in salary? Here's a hint: you won't find names like Robert Saleh, Adam Gase, Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, Eric Mangini, Herman Edwards, or Al Groh on that list.

So, where's the 'big fish'? When has Woody ever opened the wallet for a head coach?

And it's not just about who he's hired. Let's talk about who's even been willing to entertain a conversation. The coaching elite - Bill Cowher, Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll - at various points over the last two decades, all potentially in the mix, yet Woody couldn't even get them to pick up the phone.

Why? The answer is glaringly obvious: he's cheap. It's a well-known fact, a reputation Woody has crafted for himself among the coaching circles. It's why there's no dialogue, no negotiation, no chance. Woody's reluctance to invest in top-tier coaching talent is not just a pattern; it's a proven fact, with no evidence to the contrary. The question remains - when will this change?

Agreed that Woody never goes big game hunting.  Not sure if it's because he's cheap or maybe he thinks no good candidate will come to the Jets.  Or maybe he's looking for 1st time candidates because he feels like he can intimidate them into letting him constantly meddle.  I can't remember specifics but recently I heard something about there being people who stayed on (possibly it was in scouting) despite the change in GM.