If Brock Bowers falls, do we take him?

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I mean, it does.

That’s why I don’t see why everyone is just assuming it’s going to be an OT at #10.

Sh*ts going to change rather drastically over the next 3 weeks.

If the Jets sign two mid-level starters on the OL in FA and grab someone like Evans or Ridley to play across from Wilson, I don’t see why people would flip out over adding a potential game breaker like Bowers. The pick could very well still be an OT, but I’m not going to complain about adding playmakers in the passing game when this team has largely been devoid of those kinds of guys throughout our history.

Because there arent any really good OL men that are scheduled to be FAs?

Because even if one shakes loose, there is a low chance they sign with our train wreck?

Because any really good FA OT that might shake loose will demand a huge crippling contract?

Listen fellas neither evans or ridley will be a jet. And any good OL guy will not be a jet either. If u r lucky…. I mean really lucky you might get either 1 solid wr or OL guy to sign. This idea that you singing 3 starters on the Offense is not one i share.

btw if you look at the jets notice our solid core players are ones we have drafted, on the cheap vs FAs.

If we stay at 10 its an OT

33 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

As long as he just kills it on the field i’d be ok. 

Its moot, we're talking a Tackle almost regardless. The draft is shaping up to feature 4 QBs and 3 WRs in the top 10... it's hard to imagine any scenario where we don't get the OT we want... if anything, the option to trade back and work with the board is more likely.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetswinbaby! said:

If JD had only taken the safe pick in Wirfs instead of reaching for Becton, we wouldn't even be having this discussion...

He's going to reach again...

If Wirfs was a Jet he’d be on his 3rd shoulder surgery.

• Upvote 3

I love all the “we need to see what happens in FA before we pick a TE” talk here.

This team needs 3 starting OL, a#2 WR, a backup QB, a safety and a LB and probably one more depth WR.

I’d love to see Bowers become a NYJ, but it’s really hard to justify a team with all those needs taking a TE at 10 then not picking again until 72… no matter who/what we get in FA.

IMO This just isn’t the time, or year to entertain a luxury pick like Bowers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I love all the “we need to see what happens in FA before we pick a TE talk here. 
This team needs to get 3 OL, a#2 WR, a backup QB, a safety and a LB and probably one more depth WR.

I’d love to see Bowers become a NYJ, but it’s really hard to justify taking a TE at 10 then not picking again until 72… no matter who/what we get in FA.

IMO This just isn’t the time, or year to entertain a luxury pick like Bowers.

Why do we need a LB?  Even if they cut Mosley you'd have to assume it is because they are happy with that dude wearing Riggins number - Sherwood. 

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why do we need a LB?  Even if they cut Mosley you'd have to assume it is because they are happy with that dude wearing Riggins number - Sherwood. 

Fine, let’s say they elevate Sherwood or don’t even cut Mosely. In fact forget LB. Forget Safety. The defense can get by with a few minor tweaks.

We still need 3 starting OL, a #2 WR, a backup QB, and probably another WR unless they think Gipson and Brownlee are more than roster filler.

Do you think they will get all or most of that accomplished in FA? I don’t, nor do I think we have enough cap space to do so if we could. We’re going to have to address some of that in the draft.
Jump ahead now to the draft… after 10, we don’t pick again until 72. Of all the positions on offense, I think the last one other than RB we need to use our 1st pick on is TE.

My heart says I’d love to see Bowers line up as a Jet, but my head says he’s not the right pick for this team right now.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Fine, let’s say they elevate Sherwood or don’t even cut Mosely. In fact forget LB. Forget Safety. The defense can get by with a few minor tweaks.

We still need 3 starting OL, a #2 WR, a backup QB, and probably another WR unless they think Gipson and Brownlee are more than roster filler.

Do you think they will get all or most of that accomplished in FA? I don’t, nor do I think we have enough cap space to do so if we could. We’re going to have to address some of that in the draft.
Jump ahead now to the draft… after 10, we don’t pick again until 72. Of all the positions on offense, I think the last one other than RB we need to use our 1st pick on is TE.

My heart says I’d love to see Bowers line up as a Jet, but my head says he’s not the right pick for this team right now.

I go back to what I said earlier.  I am not comparing Bowers to other TE prospects.  I am comparing him as a playmaker to the WR prospects.  If he is that much of a playmaker, I would take him. I would say that it isn't likely he will do better than the WRs.  Pitts went pretty high and there are 5 WR with more yardage and catches from his draft class and 8 WR with more TDs, plus one TE (Friermuth) with more catches and TDs.  Bowers seems like he might be a real weapon.  I don't think I trust these guys to put that to use, but I wouldn't change my draft based on my staff being stupid.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Why draft at all then?

I do not agree with the logic that just because weve had little luck in the past drafting TEs that we are somehow cursed

I’m not saying the jets can’t draft a certain position or that a certain school can’t turn out quality pros at a position, both I think are ridiculous 

it’s the TE position as a whole, it’s like the catcher position in baseball, very hard to evaluate and develop. A lot the player has to grasp, both blocking and receiving, like the catcher with hitting and catching 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I could see them signing Bahktari, Becton, an IOL, and WR 2. Then leave themselves open for BPA in draft 

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I could see them signing Bahktari, Becton, an IOL, and WR 2. Then leave themselves open for BPA in draft 

Bakhtiari and Becton would certainly go a long way toward fixing the OL and the durability issues we’ve had there. 

Sad Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Unfortunately, I can see them both being signed also. In fact I expect them to be here in ‘24. This team… 😢

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Bakhtiari and Becton would certainly go a long way toward fixing the OL and the durability issues we’ve had there. 

Sad Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Unfortunately, I can see them both being signed also. In fact I expect them to be here in ‘24. This team… 😢

Yeah man I’m sure theyre under the premises that Arod would raise the level of play of the OLine too 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:42 AM, Fantasy Island said:

Kyle Brady

I'm faster than Kyle Brady who was a glorified offensive lineman.

I actually liked Kyle Brady, he was great for that era, but Bowers is a generational te prospect. Similar to Winslow in the 80s or Kelce. At worst he's prime Ben Coates. 

passing on Bowers is beyond bizarre and extremely stupid. Especially if you're not going QB 

if they pass on Bowers and don't take Maye/ McCarthy, Douglas should be fired on the spot 

9 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I'm faster than Kyle Brady who was a glorified offensive lineman.

I actually liked Kyle Brady, he was great for that era, but Bowers is a generational te prospect. Similar to Winslow in the 80s or Kelce. At worst he's prime Ben Coates. 

passing on Bowers is beyond bizarre and extremely stupid. Especially if you're not going QB 

if they pass on Bowers and don't take Maye/ McCarthy, Douglas should be fired on the spot 

It's stupid to take Terry Glenn over Ben Coates?

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's stupid to take Terry Glenn over Ben Coates?

Bowers is the best prospect in the draft outside any of the QBs. Maybe Harrison is better imo. But that's it

Passing on Bowers if you're not taking a QB is extremely dumb

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

People keep comparing him to Kittle but then you see him standing next to Kittle and he looks tiny.

I have been waiting for this day for a while.  I love the guy, and would love to see him with the Jets.  As long as he is close to the 6'4" 240 that he is listed at.  I am skeptical.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sackdance said:

If he was a monster blocker, take him at 10. But bc he's not, I can't justify this selection ... it might be easy to trade down if there are TE hungry teams picking behind us.

He's a complete te with transcendent receiving ability. He is also very physical. He's a legitimate blue chip prospect. He's was the best player at Georgia for 3 years

Its a no brainer pick 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

passing on Bowers is beyond bizarre and extremely stupid. Especially if you're not going QB if they pass on Bowers and don't take Maye/ McCarthy, Douglas should be fired on the spot 

Overreact much?

I saw multiple times he had ppl all over him or near him and he caught it with one hand no problem. Also his acceleration and physicality is on display 
I'm just ribbing you. But you have to admit that coverage in college football is almost non-existent The one handed catch was nice.

If the Jets take him he will bust. If we pass on him he will be Kelce 2.0.

Bowers to the right team will be tremendous, to the wrong team he will disappoint.

The team will have to have a plan for him and feature him and make sure he and the QB have some freedom (Mahomes, kelce)

I have less than zero confidence that our offensive bozos will know what to do with him

Bowers to the right team will be tremendous, to the wrong team he will disappoint.
The team will have to have a plan for him and feature him and make sure he and the QB have some freedom (Mahomes, kelce)
I have less than zero confidence that our offensive bozos will know what to do with him
So don't draft any offensive players. Got it!
  • Upvote 1