Price tag for new Jets DT Javon Kinlaw Should Raise Eyebrows

Javon-Kinlaw-2-scaled.jpg

When it was announced just a couple of days ago that the Jets had signed free agent defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw, the move was met with a lukewarm response.  A veteran player for what many likely assumed to be a couple of million dollars.

Yes, there are holes to be filled at defensive tackle for the Jets where Quinton Jefferson, Al Woods and Solomon Thomas are free agents.  But Kinlaw, an immensely talented underachiever who has spent much of his career battling injuries came with a shocking price tag.

Javon Kinlaw’s contract with the #Jets:

1 year
$7.25 million
$6.91 million guaranteed

That’s a much bigger contract than I expected and feels like he’s locked in to be a starter next to Quinnen Williams. Would guess this means Quinton Jefferson is not returning.

— Zack Rosenblatt (@ZackBlatt) March 13, 2024

The Jets are reportedly shelling out just over $7 million with $6.9 guaranteed for the former first-round pick.  Taken 14th overall in 2020, Kinlaw played a total of just 10 games over the course of the 2021-2022 seasons.  In those 10 games, he logged a mere 12 tackles and zero sacks.

It’s possible the Jets view Javon Kinlaw as a player who only recently saw “the light come on”.  After all, he did manage to pick up 3.5 sacks over the final six contests of 2023.  That, after managing just 1.5 sacks in the 3 years prior.

But for a cash strapped team such as the Jets, that’s a huge chunk of their remaining cap space to spend on an oft-injured player with such little production.

Go figure.

The post Price tag for new Jets DT Javon Kinlaw Should Raise Eyebrows appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

That’s a Saleh signing not a JD one. 

This is absolutely correct.  On the defense JD is not team building.  He signs who Saleh and Ulbrich tell him to sign.  It is working.  My guess is that they are on a budget.  That jives with the Mosley rumors.  

My guess is that they wish they paid more for Rankins last year rather than replace him with a cast of miscellaneous guys.  Jefferson was decent.  But Saleh needs his defensive line.   They don’t have anyone to help direct the offense, other than Rodgers.   That is why we got the guys we did.   JD and his team really do nothing.  It is quite remarkable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Notice the article doesn’t say what they think Kinlaw should be paid. Did the jets overpay by a million? Two?  And just looking at the recent DT free agent signings there are many in the high teens or even low twenties.  Hopefully he plays his position better than Tomlinson played guard.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

Notice the article doesn’t say what they think Kinlaw should be paid. Did the jets overpay by a million? Two?  And just looking at the recent DT free agent signings there are many in the high teens or even low twenties.  Hopefully he plays his position better than Tomlinson played guard.

Given the number of games he has missed due to injury and what this team dealt with last year due to injury, his deal with the Jets should have been zero years for zero dollars.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Given the number of games he has missed due to injury and what this team dealt with last year due to injury, his deal with the Jets should have been zero years for zero dollars.

Eh, the one thing I trust Saleh with is finding DL for his system 

I was skeptical about bringing in Solomon Thomas and he played pretty well here. I’ll give Saleh, who had this guy in SF as a rookie, the benefit of doubt here 

I get the injury risk, but half this board is clamoring for Tyron Smith - who also has significant injury risk. At some point, we need some good injury luck. 

• Upvote 4

My anger over this one has cooled a little as I have looked into things more closely.

Kinlaw was healthy and productive last year, and the 49ers did want to keep him - those are two positive signs.

The Jets obviously had to significantly outbid the Niners to lure Kinlaw away, and clearly they did.

We'll see how it works out - but I am encouraged that the Niners wanted to keep him.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

My anger over this one has cooled a little as I have looked into things more closely.

Kinlaw was healthy and productive last year, and the 49ers did want to keep him - those are two positive signs.

The Jets obviously had to significantly outbid the Niners to lure Kinlaw away, and clearly they did.

We'll see how it works out - but I am encouraged that the Niners wanted to keep him.

We have more faith in the niner’s personnel assessment than ours……I get it.

• Haha 1