Keenan Allen traded to Bears

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m no guru. But it’s $23MM. 

He has one year left and will get paid $23MM. Therefore that’s the cap charge, absent an outright pay cut, an extension, or restructuring it to add and spread it over new void years.

Allen has been unwilling to renegotiate so a pay cut would have been out of the question. I don't see how we could have absorbed a 23 mil cap hit this season. Maybe there was a reason JD didn't make this move?

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I suspect that’s more of a function of where the fit would be for a TE more so than how he’s perceived.  The more football you watch you realize a weapon at any position is good, even at rb (ala breece).  Ideally we’d like a guy like rome to get here and complement wilson but if the worst case is they get Brock and use him correctly that would take pressure off both garrett and the run game.  Just get guys here who can catch and run, not stiffs like Lazard, uzemoh and davis and his drops. 

This is the problem with the Jets drafting a TE. It's always been the same issue and the main reason I dont want him. It has nothing to do with his talent, it is specifically about Hack's inability to use him at all. We might as well draft a S with the first pick for all the good this kid will do for us. 

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m no guru. But it’s $23MM. 

He has one year left and will get paid $23MM. Therefore that’s the cap charge, absent an outright pay cut, an extension, or restructuring it to add and spread it over new void years.

Another possibility is that the Chargers took on some of his salary. Until the full details come out, we won't know. $23M assumes the Bears took on his entire contract. Maybe. Maybe not.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Whether the jets are still all in on rodgers for 2 more years, or if they plan on drafting a qb at some point on day 1 or 2, you look at the current roster and say they still need 2 legit more weapons on this offense.  I think they’d love it if rome fell (ha) to 10.  That’s a great scenario.  Maybe that happens if tenn does go OL and now that chicago traded for a wr, and maybe LV or denver trades up with atlanta to get mccarthy.  It’s possible.  But even if the jets wind up with bowers, you’d hope the offensive staff (hope) they would use him like georgia did and just keep throwing him short passes which would open up the run lanes.

I think Nabers or Odunze are very possible at 10. I have zero faith in the Jets to do anything correctly with Bowers.

Frankly, I think Rodgers never taking another snap for the Jets is almost as likely as him playing 2 more years, also.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think Nabers or Odunze are very possible at 10. I have zero faith in the Jets to do anything correctly with Bowers.

Frankly, I think Rodgers never taking another snap for the Jets is almost as likely as him playing 2 more years, also.

200.gif?cid=d9212ad984brgmqgvqafhk5l4seb

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don’t think the jets are going OL at 10.  Not anymore.  That pick is either for a weapon or qb.  And i do agree with you about rodgers.

if rodgers is going to retire, i believe he’s waiting until after the draft.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

His production is elite and we have an old qb we have to be win now lol 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mike Williams and Tyler Boyd are not close to the level of Keenan Allen. You make it sound like they're one in the same.

Mike Williams outyarded Allen in 2021 and 2022, had a great 3 games last year before getting hurt, is 2.5 years younger, won’t cost a draft pick, and can probably be signed for cheaper than Allen’s $18 - 23 mil.

Just now, MykePM said:

Mike Williams outyarded Allen in 2021 and 2022, had a great 3 games last year before getting hurt, is 2.5 years younger, won’t cost a draft pick, and can probably signed for cheaper than Allen’s $18 mil.

The only issue is the recovery from knee surgery but I think he's worth the risk.

• Upvote 1

allen is in his walk year, so he will need a new extension.  he will be 32 in april and while he was a great player, it's not likely he can keep producing at a high level.  he missed 4 games last year and 7 the year before.  not really sure i'd want to give up a 4th rounder and the contract it will take to sign him to an extension.

33 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Still worth it

Our offense is trash and there's no one left, unless we draft a WR, but the two elite ones will be gone

They can't afford it via their cap..smh

BTW - this elite ones will be gone...What round was K.Allen drafted?  3rd  B.Marshall?  3rd..Antonio Brown?  6th  Cooper Kupp? 3rd.  S.Diggs? 5th Terry McLaurin? 3rd

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

Allen has been unwilling to renegotiate so a pay cut would have been out of the question. I don't see how we could have absorbed a 23 mil cap hit this season. Maybe there was a reason JD didn't make this move?

definitely could have been done.

According to Over the Cap, the Jets could save a max of $67 million in simple restructures, or $79.4 million in max restructures. Quinnen Williams, Quincy Williams and Franklin-Myers would all be simple restructures (converting payments into prorated signing bonuses within the confines of the remainder of the contract) that could save as much as $23.6 million. The Jets also can (and probably will) restructure Lazard, though they likely want to cut him after 2024, so Douglas should avoid that as much as he can.

Potential extensions: CB D.J. Reed, TE Tyler Conklin

Reed ($15.6 million) and Conklin ($9.4 million) are entering the final year of their deals carrying big cap hits. Douglas could restructure them a la Mosley, or he could push for extensions, locking them into future years while reducing their cap hits for 2024. Reed has played at a Pro Bowl level for two years and Conklin has been solid and is worth keeping. The Jets can also extend cornerback Michael Carter II, but the 2021 fifth-round pick has only a $1.1 million cap hit in 2024.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, C Mart said:

BTW - this elite ones will be gone...What round was K.Allen drafted?  3rd  B.Marshall?  3rd..Antonio Brown?  6th  Cooper Kupp? 3rd.  S.Diggs? 5th Terry McLaurin? 3rd

cap space could have easily been created. they are playing as if they're rebuilding while in a short win now window. as stupid as stupid could be

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

cap space could have easily been created. they are playing as if they're rebuilding while in a short win now window. as stupid as stupid could be

That's BS and you know...

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

The chances to hit are still higher in the 1st round

Yeah, I don't get it either why we're not restructuring as much this year like we routinely did before.  It's a "win now" year with an old QB and dead GM walking.

Something is up. I don't get it.

47 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Tell me how they can afford the $23m?  It takes both sides to restructure not just Allen but any player....

No player would refuse a simple restructure.  

Adam Jahns @adamjahns
Bears WR Keenan Allen said that the Texans and Jets were also involved in trade conversations for him.

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin

Keenan Allen was on the phone with his agent Joby Branion Thursday when the Bears called in the process of working out a trade with the Los Angeles Chargers. Allen said there were two teams the Chargers would allow him to explore in a trade - the Jets and the Texans - but ultimately ended up with Chicago after the Bears sent a 4th to the Chargers.

Dianna Russini @DMRussini

From what I understand, the conversation with the Jets was just a conversation, no serious offers made. The Texans were close to landing Allen in Houston to play with CJ Stroud. In the end, Bears made best offer to Chargers.

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

#Texans got close on potential trade for Keenan Allen, who went to #Bears, with Houston offering 2025 third-round selection with a pick swap return, per league sources. Ultimately, he went to Bears for fourth-round pick 110th overall @KPRC2

47 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Looks like we were in, but couldn’t beat the Bears 4th rounder 

wouldn’t give up a 3rd for Key with the limited picks we’ve got

Jets didn't want him... He wanted the Jets... The only way the Jets were getting free agents were to overpay... Is what I have gathered from this site and shoved in my face after every opinion... 

Not sure why he wants the Jets... I am told they are a mess and going to be worse this year

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Adam Jahns @adamjahns
Bears WR Keenan Allen said that the Texans and Jets were also involved in trade conversations for him.

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin

Keenan Allen was on the phone with his agent Joby Branion Thursday when the Bears called in the process of working out a trade with the Los Angeles Chargers. Allen said there were two teams the Chargers would allow him to explore in a trade - the Jets and the Texans - but ultimately ended up with Chicago after the Bears sent a 4th to the Chargers.

Dianna Russini @DMRussini

From what I understand, the conversation with the Jets was just a conversation, no serious offers made. The Texans were close to landing Allen in Houston to play with CJ Stroud. In the end, Bears made best offer to Chargers.

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

#Texans got close on potential trade for Keenan Allen, who went to #Bears, with Houston offering 2025 third-round selection with a pick swap return, per league sources. Ultimately, he went to Bears for fourth-round pick 110th overall @KPRC2

JD: so I've got the coveted Mr. irrelevant pick I'm willing to part with here in exchange for this massive cap relief we're giving you. What do you say?

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2024 at 9:24 AM, jetspenguin said:

This is the problem with the Jets drafting a TE. It's always been the same issue and the main reason I dont want him. It has nothing to do with his talent, it is specifically about Hack's inability to use him at all. We might as well draft a S with the first pick for all the good this kid will do for us. 

Maybe it’s hack, but it’s also Rodgers. Rodgers has never had a TE average more than 39 yards per game playing with him. Rodgers doesn’t utilize the TE like we’ve seen the bradys, brees, rivers, and more recently like Mahomes does. Rodgers prides himself on not turning the ball over, most interceptions occur in the middle of the field. Rodgers throws over the middle at one of the lowest percentages in the league. Bowers is quite the prospect but I’m not sure he is a good fit for the now. You can argue that Rodgers has never had a stud TE, but you can also argue that he’s never had a stud TE emerge because of him as well. 

• Upvote 1