Saleh speaks

11 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Don’t disagree.  The problem I see however is that this organization bet everything on Rodgers lifting an otherwise weak offensive unit.

JD (likely with heavy input from Saleh) had Max Mitchell and Duane Brown as their pencilled in starting OTs.  Becton stayed healthy but gave up a sack and penalty plus per game.  

They did nothing to bolster the WR core after Davis retired and Rodgers was injured.

They went with a primary backup who lost the locker room the year before and who JD and Saleh said needed a year to sit.

They stood idle at the trade deadline when a rival like Buffalo adequately filled a starting CB slot with a late rounder.

It was the type of failure that most likely has several key players questioning if they want to play for this franchise.  Can you imagine the exit interviews?

How much was Saleh’s fault?  It’s tough to give him the benefit of the doubt after seeing him jumping up and down at the Will McDonald pick (a gnat on JD’s shoulder with a bias toward D), trotting underperforming vets out there weeks past the time the tough decisions should have been made.  His bluster, the team’s slow starts, his lack of urgency to try new things ..

There’s accumulated evidence to suggest that Saleh is a main reason this team couldn’t have pulled off what the Browns did, despite their injuries and with a familiar backup QB.

Super Bowl?  Many of would have taken a Wildcard and some exciting football.

JD and Saleh both deserve a heavy dose of blame.

I can forgive them for the OL.  No one had any gripe with Brown being penciled in as the starting LT.  People were concerned about Becton being relied upon for that last spot, but that was because no one thought he'd remain healthy.  The irony is, he did, he just looked awful.  Mitchell looked pretty good as a rookie 4th rounder.  In reality he wasn't a bad backup option.  I'm not sure where this idea comes from that elite teams are stacking expensive vets or top drafted rookies behind their starting OL, because that's just not the case.  

WR was just sh*t luck.  On paper, Garrett, Davis, Lazard, Hardman, Cobb was a decent unit.  Davis retiring right before the season hurt, and then Lazard falling on his face killed any shot we had.  Maybe he would have looked better with Rodgers, but probably not.  Same with Hardman.  I'll give them a mulligan for this one, since who tf could have predicted Davis would leave.  At that point I'm not sure what the options were.  I know Davante was brought up but who knows if he was actually available.  Even if he was, our 1st and 2nd rounder were tied up due to the Rodgers conditions.

The one true mistake IMO was not bringing in a backup.  I don't think it would have changed anything, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a bad look to not even attempt it.  As far as the Browns go though, the biggest difference between us and them is again: OL.  I have a hard time believing Flacco would have went on the run he did if you swapped our offensive lines and nothing else.  Same coaches, weapons, whatever else. 

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree, he was the worst starting QB in football.  However even Rodgers, one of the greatest of all time, had two passing plays - one of which he was literally running for his life, and the other ended his season.  I'm not sure where the confidence in Minshew and Brissett comes from.

Obviously they are upgrades, but locks to get us to the playoffs?  I don't see it.  Hell I don't even think a healthy Rodgers was a lock to get us there.
This .. I laugh at people that put all the blame on Zach and then run around extolling the need to bolster the OL with every possible resource to keep Rodgers upright.

Can't have it both ways. You either accept the fact that at least some of Zach's issues were due to the incredibly low level of play by the OL, or accept that bolstering the OL really isn't a requirement.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Can't have it both ways. You either accept the fact that at least some of Zach's issues were due to the incredibly low level of play by the OL, or accept that bolstering the OL really isn't a requirement.

Some of Zach's issues were of course due to the incredibly low level of play by the OL.  Some of Zach's issues were due to his incompetence.  I was at the Patriots game at Met Life, and that was a pathetic display of quarterbacking by Zach, which the Jets lost.

The question I have asked myself is:  "If Zach was a better QB, even with the low level of play by the OL, how many more games would the Jets have won?"

To me, the Jets would have beaten the Patriots at home this past season if Zach was just a little better in that game.  

How many others would the Jets have won?  I don't have a clue, but even if it were one other game besides the Patriots game, then the Jets would have ended with a winning record of 9-8.  That would have been enough to maybe give Zach another shot, and maybe enough for other teams to be showing more of an interest in him than I imagine right now.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

Some of Zach's issues were of course due to the incredibly low level of play by the OL.  Some of Zach's issues were due to his incompetence.  I was at the Patriots game at Met Life, and that was a pathetic display of quarterbacking by Zach, which the Jets lost.

The question I have asked myself is:  "If Zach was a better QB, even with the low level of play by the OL, how many more games would the Jets have won?"

To me, the Jets would have beaten the Patriots at home this past season if Zach was just a little better in that game.  

How many others would the Jets have won?  I don't have a clue, but even if it were one other game besides the Patriots game, then the Jets would have ended with a winning record of 9-8.  That would have been enough to maybe give Zach another shot, and maybe enough for other teams to be showing more of an interest in him than I imagine right now.

Agreed .. thanks

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Alka said:

I was at the Denver game in '22, and he looked completely lost, overwhelmed.

He's been fleeing the pocket early (even before any pressure arrives) since day 1.

After the concussion, he is only going to be more skittish.

The jump in level in competition and speed of the game between playing Navy vs playing NE was too much for him.

Add to this fundamental flaws in his footwork and mechanics and an inability to see the field -- on top of Chuck Knoblauch syndrome on "layup" type throws -- and you have what we unfortunately witnessed the last 3 years.

If die-hards like Dunnie want to pin everything on the Jets and claim they ruined him, yeah I mean, whatever, doesn't matter.

ZW is broken.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

9:09:

Cimini: Would you agree with the premise that a coach in his 4th year has to make the playoffs?

Saleh: I guess.  You could say that.

🤣 how the conversation goes down in a reality in which guys actually say what they are thinking...

Cimini:  Would you agree with the premise that a coach in his 4th year with a W-L record of 17-33 probably sucks at his job?

Saleh:  Eff you, Dicky.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

9:09:

Cimini: Would you agree with the premise that a coach in his 4th year has to make the playoffs?

Saleh: I guess.  You could say that.

Fire his patroleum shiney ass right now!

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2024 at 10:43 AM, playtowinthegame said:

No matter what Saleh says he'll get sh*t from this fanbase. He doesn't fit in with the "regular guy" Jets fans. Bill Parcells would never run stairs. He'd order a pizza and smash a six pack of beer while watching game film. 

What about all those winning seasons under BS?

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This .. I laugh at people that put all the blame on Zach and then run around extolling the need to bolster the OL with every possible resource to keep Rodgers upright.

This!  Let's not forget that we're still bolstering the WRs too.   Zach was scapegoated last year.

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I was at the Denver game in '22, and he looked completely lost, overwhelmed.

He's been fleeing the pocket early (even before any pressure arrives) since day 1.

After the concussion, he is only going to be more skittish.

The jump in level in competition and speed of the game between playing Navy vs playing NE was too much for him.

Add to this fundamental flaws in his footwork and mechanics and an inability to see the field -- on top of Chuck Knoblauch syndrome on "layup" type throws -- and you have what we unfortunately witnessed the last 3 years.

If die-hards like Dunnie want to pin everything on the Jets and claim they ruined him, yeah I mean, whatever, doesn't matter.

ZW is broken.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

• Sympathy 1

• 3 weeks later...

Look at Breece's rushing attempts this past year.  His had 37 carries in the season ending game against New England.  His next highest was 22 against Denver and 20 against Washington. 

The New England and Washington games (his #1 and #3 most carries) were meaningless though.  Why did Saleh suddenly decide Breece needed those carries when it no longer mattered?  I realize we had Siemian out there but couldn't Izzy have gotten some garbage time?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HallBr03/gamelog/2023/

image.png.e225a90f91a90725278bccf46847d374.png

Sorted by rushing attempts:

image.png.5f33978cad93ae94bbab78b576cf95fd.png

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Look at Breece's rushing attempts this past year.  His had 37 carries in the season ending game against New England.  His next highest was 22 against Denver and 20 against Washington. 

The New England and Washington games (his #1 and #3 most carries) were meaningless though.  Why did Saleh suddenly decide Breece needed those carries when it no longer mattered?  I realize we had Siemian out there but couldn't Izzy have gotten some garbage time?

There's got to be a golf joke in there somewhere 😅

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Saleh needed wins and giving it to hall was their best chance with those qbs.