Saleh speaks

On 3/24/2024 at 9:37 AM, Matt39 said:

Last year was a mulligan apparently 

I mean, what's he supposed to say?  You think if the Chiefs lost Mahomes for the year and missed the playoffs(which they would have last year, 100%), they wouldn't be saying the same exact thing?  You lose your franchise QB in this league, you're done.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What benefit is there in saying something like this?

Empty nothingness. You can pick up  safety either on Day 3 of the draft or a low cap price on the street night before opening day. Arguably the easiest foster slot to fill unless you're a moron and spend 2 of your top draft picks on safeties with Pat Mahomes on the board. 

46 minutes ago, Duckman said:

Watched the entire press conference.  Continue to be embarrassed by the quality of questions asked by the NY area media members who all think they know more about football than the people that do it for a living.  I give Saleh a lot of credit for not just bursting out laughing at some of the questions (with Rodgers hurt last year and Tyrod with an injury history, do you think you need another veteran QB?).  Some reporters with very obnoxious attitudes, almost defiant with their questioning (Connor Hughes).  My issue is with media members who are trying to create a story rather than reporting the story.  Some good nuggets though thanks to the reporters who asked quality questions rather than the ones just trying to push their own agenda.  We all like to believe that the NY media is amongst the best in the country.  Based on what I've seen, heard, and read,, that's not quite the case.

I will never be one to defend the media especially people who cover the jets however, the biggest issue when it comes to saleh is they do not respect him

quite honestly he has done nothing to earn their respect

He is a joke to them, a quote machine and he is 100% responsible for that

look across town, they don’t treat daboll that way yet they did to judge and shurmer

that tells us all we need to know

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

55 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Not one single rabbit's ears. SO disappointed.

And where are the 5 missing HCs?

I wonder if the fan bases of those 5 coaches’ teams are ready with pitchforks and torches bc their coaches didn’t attend ?

Side note, how short is Daboll?  Gotta get that guy in the front row sitting down.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I mean, what's he supposed to say?  You think if the Chiefs lost Mahomes for the year and missed the playoffs(which they would have last year, 100%), they wouldn't be saying the same exact thing?  You lose your franchise QB in this league, you're done.  

It still has never been answered why they weren’t more aggressive in pursuing a QB after Rodgers went down. They just let Wilson sink the season. Zach’s market being this bad was the case last year too.  

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Would be so Jet-like if the over-celebrated wins over the pathetic Giants and Bailey Zappe end up costing them MHJ, Alt, and Nabers and then they take Bowers or an OT or whoever and that player busts.

Yeah why were they playing to win in game 7.  Why did they want to go to 4-3

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It still has never been answered why they weren’t more aggressive in pursuing a QB after Rodgers went down. They just let Wilson sink the season. Zach’s market being this bad was the case last year too.  

This always seemed obvious to me.  They still wanted to salvage him.  Bringing in Rodgers was just as much about developing Zach as it was about winning now.  Replacing Zach with a backup would have been the end of the experiment, and they didn't want to do it.  Even still, a backup would have done nothing for us.  Even with a decent OL, the odds of a backup getting us to the postseason would have been pretty farfetched.  With an awful OL, there was no chance.  

The second Rodgers went down, it was over.  Carson Wentz wasn't going to save us.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Men dyeing their hair is the height of vanity. Beard thing, totally different level of narcisism. Saleh looks like shoe polish. And sends a mesage to EVERYBODY he's a total superficial fraud. Doug Pederson in front of him has a Super Bowl ring and doesn't give a f___ about going snow white. 

And any HC that has the time to play lots of golf, dye his beard and do toothpaste commercials isn't a real NFL HC.  This is a 12+ hour a day type job and he very clearly works banker's hours. 

He might not be as bad as Dick Kotite (who like George Costanza left 2 cars at the facility to pretend he was working late) but he's a lot closer to that category of HC than, say, a Bill Parcells type.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

Just now, bonkertons said:

This always seemed obvious to me.  They still wanted to salvage him.  Bringing in Rodgers was just as much about developing Zach as it was about winning now.  Replacing Zach with a backup would have been the end of the experiment, and they didn't want to do it.  Even still, a backup would have done nothing for us.  Even with a decent OL, the odds of a backup getting us to the postseason would have been pretty farfetched.  With an awful OL, there was no chance.  

The second Rodgers went down, it was over.  Carson Wentz wasn't going to save us.  

Josina Anderson reported that Woody told them to live and die with Zach because the options that could’ve potentially saved the season were prohibitively expensive

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Josina Anderson reported that Woody told them to live and die with Zach because the options that could’ve potentially saved the season were prohibitively expensive

And meanwhile if we'd spent the $3.5M or so on Gardner Minshew in the offseason rather than $7M on Dalvin Cook we'd have hosted a playoff game.

This f**king team man....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

aka the only person they thought could right the ship was Cousins, and they knew all the other backup options wouldn't have changed sh*t.  Carson Wentz behind that OL last year would have been just as big of a disaster as Zach.

I wonder what the asking price actually was for Cousins, assuming he wasn't untouchable(which I doubt).

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You don't put your eggs into the basket of "salvaging" a QB when you're a playoff-caliber team.  Pure lunacy.

Maybe, but considering they invested a 2nd overall into the kid, I certainly get it.  Right or wrong, that was always the plan with bringing Rodgers in.  The gamble was that Zach would never have to see the field, and it failed.  

Maybe, but considering they invested a 2nd overall into the kid, I certainly get it.  Right or wrong, that was always the plan with bringing Rodgers in.  The gamble was that Zach would never have to see the field, and it failed.  

Sunk cost fallacy should not be a thing for a multi-billion dollar org.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And meanwhile if we'd spent the $3.5M or so on Gardner Minshew in the offseason rather than $7M on Dalvin Cook we'd have hosted a playoff game.

This f**king team man....

Minshew wasn't coming here to sit behind AR8, when he could go to a team where he'd have a better chance to start, like Indy, which drafted a rookie QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

aka the only person they thought could right the ship was Cousins, and they knew all the other backup options wouldn't have changed sh*t.  Carson Wentz behind that OL last year would have been just as big of a disaster as Zach.

I wonder what the asking price actually was for Cousins, assuming he wasn't untouchable(which I doubt).

Rumors at the time were that Matt Ryan offered his services and Jacoby Brissett was available for a third. I don’t think it was as much about salvaging Zach as it was about letting Saleh and Douglas sleep in the extremely expensive bed that they made. IMO, whoever pushed the whole Zach/redshirt year clown show storyline all summer should have been shot into space, but ultimately it’s Saleh’s fault that he didn’t demand a better insurance policy for Zach starting three years ago when Zach was drafted.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, doitny said:

really?

Cleveland won 11 games. but went 9-2 with Watson and Flacco. 2-4 with everyone else.

Minnesota 7-10: 4-4 with Cousins. everyone else 3-6

LAC 5-12: 5-8 with Herbert everyone else 0-4 

Tenn: 6-11..... 3-6 with Tannehill, 3-5 with everyone else.

Cin: 9-8.........5-5 with Burrow, 4-3 with Browning. hell Zach started was 4-3 too until HE fell off a cliff.

as you can see ALOT of these teams didnt do well without there starter. and nobody lost their starter on the 1st four plays. Herbert played 13, Burrow 10, Cousins 8.....

He didn’t fall off a cliff

It was idiotic to bench him they make the playoffs if he starts all 17

5 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

A sense of urgency, at least, would have been nice.  They didn't add Siemian until 3 weeks after the Rodgers injury and he wasn't activated until late in the season.  Meanwhile basically every other team in the league with QB injuries was aggressively making moves the moment their QB1 went down. 

This "ride or die with Zach as the QB2 and no one else" approach from the Summer onward was horrific and it cost us a shot at the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Minshew wasn't coming here to sit behind AR8, when he could go to a team where he'd have a better chance to start, like Indy, which drafted a rookie QB. 

For $5M and maybe a 2-year deal he would have.  Money talks.

But even if not, take your pick.  Brissett was readily available basically all offseason.  We at least would have made the playoffs with him as the Rodgers replacement.  Could have brought back Mike White.  Or we could have traded for Davis Mills or Case Keenum (both on the Texans) on the cheap.

Hell, Flacco was sitting on his couch until December and still played well for Cleveland.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sunk cost fallacy should not be a thing for a multi-billion dollar org.  

Perhaps, but it's not like we're talking about some veteran signing who sh*t the bed.  2nd overall picks don't come around too often(how many top-2 picks have we had throughout history?  4?  I think part of it is you don't know when you'll get another chance to draft a kid that high and you need to do your due dilligence.  The other is you don't want to give up on a kid too early and see him succeed somewhere else.  Josh Rosen is the exception to the rule.  

I'm not even saying they were right.  They clearly weren't.  But I get the reasoning behind it.  JD and Co. were thinking "win now AND build something great for the future", when in reality they should have just been thinking "make sure we win now".  Unfortunate, but what's done is done.

...again though, with the OL we had last year, I don't see how it really would have mattered.  We can argue the semantics behind "why not bring someone in", and I get it, but we all know it wouldn't have made a difference.  

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Indy also had a pretty good OL over there.  He was put in a position to succeed.  Here he would have been running for his life.  It probably would have been entertaining, but in now way would I say it's a lock he would have gotten us to the playoffs.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Perhaps, but it's not like we're talking about some veteran signing who sh*t the bed.  2nd overall picks don't come around too often(how many top-2 picks have we had throughout history?  4?  I think part of it is you don't know when you'll get another chance to draft a kid that high and you need to do your due dilligence.  The other is you don't want to give up on a kid too early and see him succeed somewhere else.  Josh Rosen is the exception to the rule.  

You still hedge your bets in situations like these no matter what you think about Zach or the investment made in him.  They went ride or die with Zach and the season, predictably, died.  He should have been the QB3 from the jump, and they had endless opportunities to make that happen from June onwards.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Indy also had a pretty good OL over there.  He was put in a position to succeed.  Here he would have been running for his life.  It probably would have been entertaining, but in now way would I say it's a lock he would have gotten us to the playoffs.

Indy - the same place where their QB1 suffered multiple injuries including a season-ender?  That Indy?

No veteran QB would have been "running for his life" here because, unlike Zach Wilson, they understand how to get the ball out quickly.  Even a schlub like Trevor Siemian understood that, and his sack rate (5.0 %) was a fraction of Zach's (11.1) as a result.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For $5M and maybe a 2-year deal he would have.  Money talks.

But even if not, take your pick.  Brissett was readily available basically all offseason.  We at least would have made the playoffs with him as the Rodgers replacement.  Could have brought back Mike White.  Or we could have traded for Davis Mills or Case Keenum (both on the Texans) on the cheap.

Hell, Flacco was sitting on his couch until December and still played well for Cleveland.

I really don't understand how you can be so confident of this.  I like Brissett too, but c'mon.  

If you think we were a lock with Brissett, you must have felt we were a legit SB contender with Rodgers.  I could only imagine what your expectations are for this year with the additions we've made.  TBH I like the optimism.  

I really don't understand how you can be so confident of this.  I like Brissett too, but c'mon.  

If you think we were a lock with Brissett, you must have felt we were a legit SB contender with Rodgers.  I could only imagine what your expectations are for this year with the additions we've made.  TBH I like the optimism.  

It's not so much I think so highly of Brissett it's that I think so lowly of Zach friggin Wilson, my guy.  We won 7 games with him under center and yet you think we couldn't have won 9-10 with a capable vet?  C'mon.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not so much I think so highly of Brissett it's that I think so lowly of Zach friggin Wilson, my guy.  We won 7 games with him under center and yet you think we couldn't have won 9-10 with a capable vet?  C'mon.

And further ruin our draft position? Are you nuts?!

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Indy - the same place where their QB1 suffered multiple injuries including a season-ender?  That Indy?

No veteran QB would have been "running for his life" here because, unlike Zach Wilson, they understand how to get the ball out quickly.  Even a schlub like Trevor Siemian understood that, and his sack rate (5.0 %) was a fraction of Zach's (11.1) as a result.

lol c'mon.  Are you denying they have a good OL?  And yes, their running QB got hurt on a designed run....what exactly does that have to do with anything?  From what I remember his other injury(unless he had more than 2 and I'm forgetting one) was another QB draw.  He was a rookie who looked to run when his first read was covered.  Not sure what that proves.

So basically what you're saying is, the OL is irrelevant?  Trevor Siemian also had 2 TDs and 4 INTs.  Siemian was forced to rely on dump offs to Breece and our TEs and for the most part we still couldn't even buy a 1st down.  Minshew would have been coming into a situation with a bottom-2 OL and essentially one weapon.  I don't know where this confidence in him comes from that you're sure he would have been fine. 

49 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Don’t disagree.  The problem I see however is that this organization bet everything on Rodgers lifting an otherwise weak offensive unit.

JD (likely with heavy input from Saleh) had Max Mitchell and Duane Brown as their pencilled in starting OTs.  Becton stayed healthy but gave up a sack and penalty plus per game.  

They did nothing to bolster the WR core after Davis retired and Rodgers was injured.

They went with a primary backup who lost the locker room the year before and who JD and Saleh said needed a year to sit.

They stood idle at the trade deadline when a rival like Buffalo adequately filled a starting CB slot with a late rounder.

It was the type of failure that most likely has several key players questioning if they want to play for this franchise.  Can you imagine the exit interviews?

How much was Saleh’s fault?  It’s tough to give him the benefit of the doubt after seeing him jumping up and down at the Will McDonald pick (a gnat on JD’s shoulder with a bias toward D), trotting underperforming vets out there weeks past the time the tough decisions should have been made.  His bluster, the team’s slow starts, his lack of urgency to try new things ..

There’s accumulated evidence to suggest that Saleh is a main reason this team couldn’t have pulled off what the Browns did, despite their injuries and with a familiar backup QB.

Super Bowl?  Many of would have taken a Wildcard and some exciting football.

JD and Saleh both deserve a heavy dose of blame.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

lol c'mon.  Are you denying they have a good OL?  And yes, their running QB got hurt on a designed run....what exactly does that have to do with anything?  From what I remember his other injury(unless he had more than 2 and I'm forgetting one) was another QB draw.  He was a rookie who looked to run when his first read was covered.  Not sure what that proves.

So basically what you're saying is, the OL is irrelevant?  Trevor Siemian also had 2 TDs and 4 INTs.  Siemian was forced to rely on dump offs to Breece and our TEs and for the most part we still couldn't even buy a 1st down.  Minshew would have been coming into a situation with a bottom-2 OL and essentially one weapon.  I don't know where this confidence in him comes from that you're sure he would have been fine. 

I’m saying however good or bad your OL is, Zach makes their lives much harder.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m saying however good or bad your OL is, Zach makes their lives much harder.

I don't disagree, he was the worst starting QB in football.  However even Rodgers, one of the greatest of all time, had two passing plays - one of which he was literally running for his life, and the other ended his season.  I'm not sure where the confidence in Minshew and Brissett comes from.

Obviously they are upgrades, but locks to get us to the playoffs?  I don't see it.  Hell I don't even think a healthy Rodgers was a lock to get us there.