Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can definitely understand moving up for Maye rather than McCarthy, and I can’t understand why Maye would possibly slip, but Minny grabbing him would be a coup. Who’s the guy you’re hoping to drop? Odunze? 

I think they’d have to get up to two or three for Maye. Picks 11 and 23 should get them between 3 and 4 minus QB tax, next year’s first is probably good for three with the tax so they’d just need Washington to take Daniels which I think is possible - or have enough of a sweetener to get to two.

Jets? I think they’re best off going WR, whoever slips. Harrison is a pipe dream, I think Odunze is just rock solid, Nabers is probably the best paper fit for 2024 and I do love some flash. Wide receiver for several reasons really. I think this class is strong at the top and so if WR3 would usually be WR1 in a class you’ll get him somewhere later than would usually be possible. It’s the position they can get on the field immediately and fill a big need in 2025. We see many examples how much having two high end threats at WR helps offenses. Wide receivers are better prepared to come into the NFL and help than tackles are right now and I think easier to evaluate. I also in a weird off field way think Garrett Wilson is very close to disengaging with this franchise and a legit running mate would be good to bring him back in.

I think the big OT tier break happens in the 20’s or maybe early 30’s, it’s the raw guys, and the ones who will go there would probably sneak up into the teens but this draft is good at the top at tackle and deep. To me it’s a unique opportunity to use the 2025 first round pick to get a guy at a position you might be taking in the first in 2025 yesterday but get him into the building a year early and have him learn from Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses and provide depth.

I think there’s huge value in that guy landing with the Jets. But you’d have to otherwise trade down to land in that tier area which fans always want to do but never actually happens, and I think this year especially ten is no man’s land and I doubt they’d get offers. And it’s a depth position this year so it’d be such a womp womp to take at ten, especially when fun developmental guys will go later and there’s actually theoretically a year to develop them.

So I’d like to see them be aggressive and land like WR3 and OT7. I think it meshes with the draft tiers, this year’s needs, next year’s needs, the team’s timeline, all of it. So I mean it won’t happen, but I think that’s the ideal way for the team to attack the draft this year. It’d also give me a year off from this **** next year which isn’t the reason but might be nice.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Some draft dude on tv today, Matt miller maybe? had Denver trading up to #4 and giving up like 3 first rounders.  It's stupid season again for these gms.  We all know how Zach turned out but coming into the draft to me he was a better prospect than mccarthy is.

Wilson playing against that schedule behind that OL was a complete unknown heading into the process. It’s hindsight a little, though I was firmly against them drafting him, but he just didn’t belong in the first round. The only thing we knew about him was that he had a good arm.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, derp said:

I think they’d have to get up to two or three for Maye. Picks 11 and 23 should get them between 3 and 4 minus QB tax, next year’s first is probably good for three with the tax so they’d just need Washington to take Daniels which I think is possible - or have enough of a sweetener to get to two.

Jets? I think they’re best off going WR, whoever slips. Harrison is a pipe dream, I think Odunze is just rock solid, Nabers is probably the best paper fit for 2024 and I do love some flash. Wide receiver for several reasons really. I think this class is strong at the top and so if WR3 would usually be WR1 in a class you’ll get him somewhere later than would usually be possible. It’s the position they can get on the field immediately and fill a big need in 2025. We see many examples how much having two high end threats at WR helps offenses. Wide receivers are better prepared to come into the NFL and help than tackles are right now and I think easier to evaluate. I also in a weird off field way think Garrett Wilson is very close to disengaging with this franchise and a legit running mate would be good to bring him back in.

I think the big OT tier break happens in the 20’s or maybe early 30’s, it’s the raw guys, and the ones who will go there would probably sneak up into the teens but this draft is good at the top at tackle and deep. To me it’s a unique opportunity to use the 2025 first round pick to get a guy at a position you might be taking in the first in 2025 yesterday but get him into the building a year early and have him learn from Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses and provide depth.

I think there’s huge value in that guy landing with the Jets. But you’d have to otherwise trade down to land in that tier area which fans always want to do but never actually happens, and I think this year especially ten is no man’s land and I doubt they’d get offers. And it’s a depth position this year so it’d be such a womp womp to take at ten, especially when fun developmental guys will go later and there’s actually theoretically a year to develop them.

So I’d like to see them be aggressive and land like WR3 and OT7. I think it meshes with the draft tiers, this year’s needs, next year’s needs, the team’s timeline, all of it. So I mean it won’t happen, but I think that’s the ideal way for the team to attack the draft this year. It’d also give me a year off from this **** next year which isn’t the reason but might be nice.

100% agreed they should be targeting Odunze, and excellent point about keeping Garrett Wilson hopeful/engaged by giving him a running mate. But, trading the 25 first to get back into R1 for a tackle is too pricey, imo. They have to keep that pick in their back pocket in the event things go terribly and they’re in the QB market next Spring. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

I don't understand his behavior.  He is a job interview for a massive job, yes, he will be drafted high in the 1st round, but dropping just 1 spot costs over 1 million dollars.   Do whatever it takes to not let someone drop you a slot, give them no excuse.

Let's take a look at the estimated total value of rookie contracts for each first-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, based on Spotrac's data:
  • No. 1: $41.2 million.
  • No. 2: $39.4 million.
  • No. 3: $38.2 million.
  • No. 4: $36.9 million.
  • No. 5: $34.5 million.
  • No. 6: $30.4 million.
  • No. 7: $27.02 million.
  • No. 8: $23.7 million.

You don’t understand the behavior of a kid who’s dad is rich AF?

Yea me either.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I really wonder how much the Harbaugh stamp of approval and the visual of him winning the championship game is elevating his stock.

This part really has me cracking up. Harbaugh chooses to come into the NFL right after winning the natty with this kid, and the team he's going to is THE most likely place for a team to trade up and take Mccarthy (i.e. Vikings jump the giants)

Masterclass in manipulation, talking up Mccarthy. Imagine in a couple years when the chargers got all these picks to rebuild and Mccarthy is a bust in Minnesota? It's almost like Harbaugh saw all this from the day he won that title 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, slats said:

He’s going #4. Probably the safest prediction in the draft. Unless he goes earlier. 

Everyone except you talking about WRs falling to 10 is crazy.  1st of all the Cardinals have invested a fortune in Murray and here is Murray's WR room: Michael Wilson, Chris moore, Zac Pascal, Dan Chisena, Daniel Arias and Kayden Davis. That's it.

And people here think they are not drafting the best WR on the board?  Too funny.   If harrison goes earlier, they will draft Nabors. If both gone they will draft Odunze. Everyone should take another look at that Arizona WR room. Now compare it to ours. They signed Jonah Williams and have Paris Campbell.  They are not drafting OT at 4. 

More importantly.  Everyone here has to stop the delusion that one of the top 3 WRs is falling to 10.  No.  It won't be happening.  I know, it's really disappointing. It seemed possible a month ago.  Not any more. Neither those 3 nor Alt will be at 10.  Either Douglas trades out of 10, drafts Fashanu or Bowers.  Anything else would be miraculous.  

• Upvote 3

As long as the 9 teams are picking really high then he is good to go, if one of the top 5 teams is not one them it might cost him spots in the draft and thus money.
At least he can have a scowl on his face draft day and say he now has a chip on his shoulder if another guy gets picked above him.
He will likely be the 1st wr picked but the gap between him and Nabers and Odunze is not as grand canyon like as people on here seem to think.
He will be the first WR off the board.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

If you stay static and others gain you can get passed and then wonder why the guy just passed you.
The combine is a ridiculous event. Underwear Olympics takes precedence over game film... Never.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

100% agreed they should be targeting Odunze, and excellent point about keeping Garrett Wilson hopeful/engaged by giving him a running mate. But, trading the 25 first to get back into R1 for a tackle is too pricey, imo. They have to keep that pick in their back pocket in the event things go terribly and they’re in the QB market next Spring. 

I genuinely believe they won’t be in the young QB market next spring. There’s a confluence they’d need between them being in range to draft a quarterback, there being a quarterback worth taking, and the situation being a viable one to bring a new quarterback into and I can’t see them having a season this year that allows that all to come together.

More likely they play the veteran game for a bit as the roster gets reset and then they do a mix of extensions and trading guys away before moving to the young QB.

I could certainly be wrong though.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

But, trading the 25 first to get back into R1 for a tackle is too pricey, imo. They have to keep that pick in their back pocket in the event things go terribly and they’re in the QB market next Spring. 

Not a consideration, since this group will almost certainly be fired before then.

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Bowers at 10 and then nothing until R3? Yikes. If the above is the situation, then wheel and deal your way out of 10. 

All it takes, is one GM to panic and trade up for Bowers or one of the tackles.

18 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

MHJ and Nabers look like can’t miss prospects and fall into that Jamaar Chase category for me. I’d give up 10 and next years 1 for either of those guys. (Fingers crossed it’s a pick in the mid to lates 20s). Rolling out an offense of:

GW, MHJ/Nabers, Mike Williams

Breece Hall

to go along with our defense? I think Aaron would win his 5th MVP and we’d be serious contenders for a Super Bowl. 

OK, I'm sold. Let's do it! 😀

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not a consideration, since this group will almost certainly be fired before then.

It would be such a bad move to get rid of next year's #1 in a deep OL draft (this year) instead of just taking the best developmental OL guy in round 3. They are going to most likely be 3rd off the bench - and that's if they show enough. Why would you do that on a win now team? Only reason to part with a #1 from next year is to move up for a player that instantly makes you better on offense - not for depth. 

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Bowers at 10 and then nothing until R3? Yikes. If the above is the situation, then wheel and deal your way out of 10. 

I'd rather take Odunze. 

Not sure there will be much opportunity to trade down from 10. MAYBE if a team wants the first CB off the board but idk, I think they'll be stuck there. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I'd rather take Odunze. 

Not sure there will be much opportunity to trade down from 10. MAYBE if a team wants the first CB off the board but idk, I think they'll be stuck there. 

I don't think a corner will tempt anyone up to 10, unless we give them a huge bargain (which JD would need to shop).

A QB sitting at 10, or Dallas Turner, would be the main attractions for teams to move up. While neither is very likely, if Alt and the top 3 WRs are off the board it's not impossible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

I genuinely believe they won’t be in the young QB market next spring. There’s a confluence they’d need between them being in range to draft a quarterback, there being a quarterback worth taking, and the situation being a viable one to bring a new quarterback into and I can’t see them having a season this year that allows that all to come together.

More likely they play the veteran game for a bit as the roster gets reset and then they do a mix of extensions and trading guys away before moving to the young QB.

I could certainly be wrong though.

56 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In the event that things go sideways and the Jets finish 7-10 or so and everyone gets fired, think about how hard it’ll be to attract a new coach/GM when the #8 overall pick next year is gone because you traded it for, like, Tyler Guyton. I know that won’t be Douglas’ concern this year, but you’d hope someone at 1JD is able to see a world ten months in advance. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

While I don't think this is impossible, Rodgers current contract goes through 2025 and we are NOT going to be able to get out of that. If he plays good, the admin probably stays. If he plays bad... who's taking 1 year of 42 year old, $50m Rodgers off our hands? There's too much money at stake for him do us a favor and retire, too, even if he ends up sucking.

No, I suspect we are stuck with Hackett, Saleh, and JD until the Rodgers experiment is over. I don't support trading the 2025 1st either way, but a scenario where Woody cleans house and tries to bring in a new coach and rebuilding GM for the possible final year of Rodgers career is nearly inconceivable. There's a minor chance Saleh and/or Hackett goes and we try a new setup, but realistically if we fail this year it'll likely be on Rodgers offense or more injuries, not "Salehs" defense.

Considering JD and Saleh also have expiring contracts after 2025, long story short, you're wrong. Like it or not we're stuck with JD and Rodgers, at a minimum, until 2026 bar catastrophic injury to Rodgers. 

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In the event that things go sideways and the Jets finish 7-10 or so and everyone gets fired, think about how hard it’ll be to attract a new coach/GM when the #8 overall pick next year is gone because you traded it for, like, Tyler Guyton. I know that won’t be Douglas’ concern this year, but you’d hope someone at 1JD is able to see a world ten months in advance. 

Could have just ended it right there. Next HC will def be a Gase type hire.

9 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Could have just ended it right there. Next HC will def be a Gase type hire.

Nevermind that - who would come in and take over 1 year of Rodgers, as I said? I don't think the Jets will take on the PR disaster of drafting a 1st rounder next year and forcing Rodgers to bridge start, no coach will want to come in and deal with that either. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

While I don't think this is impossible, Rodgers current contract goes through 2025 and we are NOT going to be able to get out of that. If he plays good, the admin probably stays. If he plays bad... who's taking 1 year of 42 year old, $50m Rodgers off our hands? There's too much money at stake for him do us a favor and retire, too, even if he ends up sucking.

No, I suspect we are stuck with Hackett, Saleh, and JD until the Rodgers experiment is over. I don't support trading the 2025 1st either way, but a scenario where Woody cleans house and tries to bring in a new coach and rebuilding GM for the possible final year of Rodgers career is nearly inconceivable. There's a minor chance Saleh and/or Hackett goes and we try a new setup, but realistically if we fail this year it'll likely be on Rodgers offense or more injuries, not "Salehs" defense.

Considering JD and Saleh also have expiring contracts after 2025, long story short, you're wrong. Like it or not we're stuck with JD and Rodgers, at a minimum, until 2026 bar catastrophic injury to Rodgers. 

I guess we’ll find out

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The combine is a ridiculous event. Underwear Olympics takes precedence over game film... Never.

Who said it takes precedence over tape?   No one.

But is a comparative analysis seeing guys side by side.

Watching them run throw side by side.

It absolutely affects the draft.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Do you think whether or not the Jets have pick #8 after everything goes sideways will be the difference between being able to hire a good GM candidate or a bad GM candidate? Or are we just talking about varying degrees of bad GM candidates?

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

I'm sure if there's an OLineman JD likes in Round 2. He'll trade up for him.

Really hope we can trade down. This draft can easily lead to 2 long term starters for the offense with the depth at the OL and WR positions. 

I think there will be some opportunities for a trade down. Teams may love a certain tackle and want to move up. Mccarthy may be there and teams want to move up (and no, I'm not buying the hype he goes top 5). Someone may love Bowers and want to move up to our spot. Certainly one of the top defensive players will be there at 10. It's a tricky spot cause ideally you don't want to move too far back...

Trade back and take oline is the annual refrain around here but wow this year lol

It’s much more likely that JD sticks and picks. 

I agree with Pauline on the 3 potential targets for the Jets

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Trade back and take oline is the annual refrain around here but wow this year lol

It’s much more likely that JD sticks and picks. 

I agree with Pauline on the 3 potential targets for the Jets

I would love to turn 10 into an OT and a wr on day 2, but i doubt it.  While i do think OL is in play round 1 i think it’s most likely bowers or rome, with rome the preference.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I would love to turn 10 into an OT and a wr on day 2, but i doubt it.  While i do think OL is in play round 1 i think it’s most likely bowers or rome, with rome the preference.  

That would be a really interesting choice between Bowers and Rome.  Completely different skill sets, comparable impact.