The Athletic latest mock

I struggle with the idea to use a top 10 pick on an offensive lineman, especially with the depth at that position. So many guys in this league are late round lineman that develop into quality above average starters. I would trade back if the big 3 receivers are gone and if not, I would seriously look into trying to move up to get a guy like Nabers or Harrison.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I struggle with the idea to use a top 10 pick on an offensive lineman, especially with the depth at that position. So many guys in this league are late round lineman that develop into quality above average starters. I would trade back if the big 3 receivers are gone and if not, I would seriously look into trying to move up to get a guy like Nabers or Harrison.

I love Tyron Smith but he's older, on a 1 year deal and hasn't played a full season in a long time. The Jets don't have a future starting LT on the roster. Doesn't hurt to take one now.

The most important player on the team is #8. If he stays healthy we're contenders. Protect him at all costs.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I am slightly torn ... but leaning this way too ...  if the WRs and ALT are gone ... attempt to trade back and try to recoup  that 2nd.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I love Tyron Smith but he's older, one a 1 year deal and hasn't played a full season in a long time. The Jets don't have a future starting LT on the roster. Doesn't hurt to take one now.

The most important player on the team is #8. If he stays healthy we're contenders. Protect him at all costs.

I agree with you. I just struggle with taking a player at #10 that will sit on the bench for a large part of his rookie season, especially when our WR2 is coming off an ACL injury and will hopefully be ready by week 1. 

Just now, Dunnie said:

I am slightly torn ... but leaning this way too ...  if the WRs and ALT are gone ... attempt to trade back and try to recoup  that 2nd.

Yeah that is where I am at also. Trade back, recoup a 2nd, or trade back for a 3rd and package that to get back into round 2. 

There is so much offensive line talent in this draft that I would want the 2nd round pick more than I would picking an OT at #10

1 minute ago, Falco21 said:

I agree with you. I just struggle with taking a player at #10 that will sit on the bench for a large part of his rookie season, especially when our WR2 is coming off an ACL injury and will hopefully be ready by week 1. 

There's a lot of good WR prospects in the 3rd, 4th round that we'll have a shot at. I look at it this way. Would I prefer Rodgers with a broke dick LT or a broke dick #2 WR? I think he can make due so long as he has GW and a good o-line.

MW coming off ACL is definitely a concern. 

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I love Tyron Smith but he's older, on a 1 year deal and hasn't played a full season in a long time. The Jets don't have a future starting LT on the roster. Doesn't hurt to take one now.

this is what they should do if they were smart

they aren't that smart 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There's a lot of good WR prospects in the 3rd, 4th round that we'll have a shot at. I look at it this way. Would I prefer Rodgers with a broke dick LT or a broke dick #2 WR? I think he can make due so long as he has GW and a good o-line.

MW coming off ACL is definitely a concern. 

If it were me, I would do everything in my power to get Nabers, Harrison Jr., or Odunze. Package picks and get in the 2nd round. Take a lineman in the 2nd. Go out and sign Bakhtiari for insurance behind Smith and sign Connor McGovern for insurance on the interior. 

28 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

You can say this about any position though and point out all the success stories of later round picks.

Out of top 10 players in Wr yards this past year:

Tyreek Hill - 5th rounder

Amon-Ra St Brown - 4th rounder

Puca Nakua - 5th rounder

AJ Brown - 2-51

Nico Collins - 3rd round

Thee is depth at oline so a trade down could for sure work but if we pick a WR at 10 (which i ma fine with) we do not pick until the 3rd round and will be looking at much lower tier or oline prospects.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

If it were me, I would do everything in my power to get Nabers, Harrison Jr., or Odunze. Package picks and get in the 2nd round. Take a lineman in the 2nd. Go out and sign Bakhtiari for insurance behind Smith and sign Connor McGovern for insurance on the interior. 

If you are going after the top 3 wrs you are not going to package picks to get back into the 2nd.

This is an either or situation.

As usual our stupid late season wins are looking bad right now.  One more loss last year in a lost season and we would get one of the top 3 wrs pretty well 100% for sure.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You can say this about any position though and point out all the success stories of later round picks.

Out of top 10 players in Wr yards this past year:

Tyreek Hill - 5th rounder

Amon-Ra St Brown - 4th rounder

Puca Nakua - 5th rounder

AJ Brown - 2-51

Nico Collins - 3rd round

Thee is depth at oline so a trade down could for sure work but if we pick a WR at 10 (which i ma fine with) we do not pick until the 3rd round and will be looking at much lower tier or oline prospects.

Agreed and a valid point. If we went WR in the 1st, my plan would be to package picks and get back into the 2nd round for a lineman. I think the drop off after round 2 in talent is too much to take the chance.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As usual our stupid late season wins are looking bad right now.  One more loss last year in a lost season and we would get one of the top 3 wrs pretty well 100% for sure.

let's be real

drafting a rookie WR is not on the agenda for shadow GM Aaron Rodgers, who has no interest in developing rookies. 

Also taking this player at 10 or above immediately pisses off Garrett Wilson 

the Jets offense is a tire fire but he gets 10+ targets every game 

drafting a stud that high creates a Chase/Tee situation, which eventually becomes a huge mess 

in other words yes they sure could use a rookie WR but taking him at 10 (or above) is way overkill 

I know the entire fan base dreams about it and I know JD doesn't care about the long term but that move has real downsides no one talks about 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

If you are going after the top 3 wrs you are not going to package picks to get back into the 2nd.

I blame Hurts for throwing that pick to Adams. He singlehandedly lost the game for the Eagles. And you can even go as far as blaming the Giants for allowing Slappy to drive the Jets into FG with only 24 SECONDS LEFT AND NO TIMEOUTS!

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No but I do believe there is a world where 2025 picks are used to potentially move up. We also have to all get real knowing that JD is operating in a vacuum right now with a target on his back. He understands that this is the year he needs to put a winning team on the field. 2025 picks are a waste of time for him right now and I would not be surprised if he makes a move to get into the 2nd using 2025 as leverage to do so

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

let's be real

drafting a rookie WR is not on the agenda for shadow GM Aaron Rodgers, who has no interest in developing rookies. 

Also taking this player at 10 or above immediately pisses off Garrett Wilson 

the Jets offense is a tire fire but he gets 10+ targets every game 

drafting a stud that high creates a Chase/Tee situation, which eventually becomes a huge mess 

in other words yes they sure could use a rookie WR but taking him at 10 (or above) is way overkill 

I know the entire fan base dreams about it and I know JD doesn't care about the long term but that move has real downsides no one talks about 

picking justin jefferson when you have diggs is a huge mistake

Tee higgins and chase?   That is a problem?   No that is a solution.

You can make an argument for not drafting or drafting most every position group.

The jets need to draft two wrs and two oline this draft, the draft is deep in those spots, so go draft them.

1 hour ago, Arsis said:

Everyone sh*t on me when I was rooting for loses at the end of the year. We realistically could have had the 4th pick.

Unfortunately the game is still played by human beings who do things like try.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

No but I do believe there is a world where 2025 picks are used to potentially move up. We also have to all get real knowing that JD is operating in a vacuum right now with a target on his back. He understands that this is the year he needs to put a winning team on the field. 2025 picks are a waste of time for him right now and I would not be surprised if he makes a move to get into the 2nd using 2025 as leverage to do so

I’m ok using 2025 draft picks but only for a qb.  Not for a wr.  I wouldn’t mind if a qb is sitting there at 8 and they go get him and sit him for a year.  I doubt rodgers is playing beyond 2024 anyway and i believe Douglas will be here beyond that. 

Agree but this regime has for the last 2 years picked a player in the 1st rd that didn't play much his rookie season.

They have zero aversion to this.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

If that’s how the top ten round out I can see the jets drop back a couple of spots.  Is fashanu better than Latham or guyton or one of the other tackles besides alt?  Plus it’s odd there aren’t any defensive guys.  When has that happened?

23 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Agree but this regime has for the last 2 years picked a player in the 1st rd that didn't play much his rookie season.

They have zero aversion to this.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

Stakes are much higher this year. It is a do or die year for this regime. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

I agree. Once you got Rodgers, you have then in theory put all your chips in. You can't then half way so things like take a player that won't help you win now. But if you're going to do that, then take the QB. 

Nothing about taking a olineman at ten to sit makes sense. 

Not only that, it's an extremely deep Oline class. 

I don't get it 

1 minute ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I agree. Once you got Rodgers, you have then in theory put all your chips in. You can't then half way so things like take a player that won't help you win now. But if you're going to do that, then take the QB. 

Nothing about taking a olineman at ten to sit makes sense. 

Not only that, it's an extremely deep Oline class. 

I don't get it 

Well if you go by that theory the guy they take is bowers b/c he’s ready from day 1.  Taking a wr means you’re maybe 3rd in the wr pecking order, and any OL may not start but may wind up playing a lot.  

Also, douglas has 2 main criticisms:  1) zach wilson, and 2) the OL fail.  He’s got a layup to take a tackle at 10 and fix the OL, and i think between the allure of finally fixing the OL, and using the pick to protect rodgers for as long as he’s here, will ultimately be too tempting to resist. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well if you go by that theory the guy they take is bowers b/c he’s ready from day 1.  Taking a wr means you’re maybe 3rd in the wr pecking order, and any OL may not start but may wind up playing a lot.  

Also, douglas has 2 main criticisms:  1) zach wilson, and 2) the OL fail.  He’s got a layup to take a tackle at 10 and fix the OL, and i think between the allure of finally fixing the OL, and using the pick to protect rodgers for as long as he’s here, will ultimately be too tempting to resist. 

He's not protecting Rodgers. He's sitting 

Just now, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

The top 4 wrs would be wr2 immediately. 

And sharing the field with gw and williams.  And then there’s the whole douglas/OL thing.  He gets 1 last shot to prove he can build an OL and protect a qb.  And i think that wins out.  They’re not sniffing the top 3 wrs, they’re going offense and not taking a rb.  So really if they stay at 10, it’s bowers, OT or qb.  And if you buy into how douglas takes premium positions in round 1 then it’s OT or qb. 

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And sharing the field with gw and williams.  And then there’s the whole douglas/OL thing.  He gets 1 last shot to prove he can build an OL and protect a qb.  And i think that wins out.  They’re not sniffing the top 3 wrs, they’re going offense and not taking a rb.  So really if they stay at 10, it’s bowers, OT or qb.  And if you buy into how douglas takes premium positions in round 1 then it’s OT or qb. 

How does he take "premium positions in round 1?"   The ******* guy traded up in round 1 for a G.  He traded up in round 2 for a RB.  He traded up in round 1 for (what I consider) a non-pass rushing DE, though I guess most people think the guy is a pass rusher.  He was rumored to be in on Gibbs and Mayer in the 1st last year and took a part time player instead.  None of this screams positional value or bust to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

Well 3 fifths of the OL has had significant injuries last year (back-neck, pectoral and achilles). I wouldn't say they would sit the large part of the season. I hope he does, but I am not going to bet on that.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How does he take "premium positions in round 1?"   The ******* guy traded up in round for a G.  He traded up in round 2 for a RB.  He traded up in round 1 for (what I considered) a non-pass rushing DE, though I guess most people think the guy is a pass rusher.  He was rumored to be in on Gibbs and Mayer in the 1st last year and took a part time player instead.  None of this screams positional value or bust to me.

You can’t go by rumors.  Breece was picked in the 2nd round.  JJ is a very good player at a premium position.  At the time they traded up for tucker it was b/c he could play any OL position and he has including tackle.  So my statement holds.  

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He's such a polarizing prospect.

I really think the faster version of (just as a football player) Aaron Hernandez comp is a good one.

If Bowers ended up looking as good as Hernandez did his rookie year, that wouldn't be the worst thing.

But worth the cost of #10 overall?  I don't think so.

To me, this is a weird way of looking at it. Guys in the top 10 bust all the time. Regardless of position. So to say if we hit on one- that 'wouldn't be the worst thing' but 'not worth the cost of #10 overall' is kinda silly. Like, no, actually that would be a great thing. It's not like we are drafting a FB, Punter or long snapper. We would be drafting a playmaker on offense. I guarantee you a lot of team, given the opportunity, would draft Aaron Hernandez (minus the murder rap and suicidal tendencies of course) with a top 10 pick rather than gamble on a rookie. 

Bowers is only a polarizing prospect because of position. That's it. He's otherwise about as can't miss as it gets. I'm not sure if maybe that IS what you were trying to say. But the bottom line is that anybody who actually needs a playmaker on offense and/or TE and passes on Bowers because its 'too early' to take a TE is overthinking it and missing out on a stud. 

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

Baumgartner from The Athletic has the Giants trading up to 9 to get Bowers among other peculiar things.

https://theathletic.com/5394632/2024/04/08/nfl-mock-draft-2024-quarterbacks-drake-maye/?source=targeted_email&campaign=9519756&userId=6699977

1. Chicago Bears (from CAR): Caleb Williams, QB, USC

Another new era in Chicago begins, this time with the best playmaker in the draft. Williams comes with his quirks and a pretty unique personality — but he’s even more unique on the field. A big day for the Bears.

2. Washington Commanders: Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

Maye is still growing as a passer, particularly in his consistency processing from the pocket. When you stack him up next to Jayden Daniels, though, Maye’s strengths are stronger and the weaknesses are similar. This will be a preference decision for Adam Peters and the Washington front office. For me, Maye is QB2.

3. New England Patriots: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

If I’m New England, I’m trying to get out of this pick. However, Robert Kraft wants a quarterback — one he can market — and it doesn’t seem like he’d be willing to wait. Daniels has improved as much as any player in this class over the last two years, and he has rare dual-threat capability.

4. Minnesota Vikings (from ARI)*: J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

Projected trade: Minnesota trades No. 11, No. 23 and a 2025 first-round pick to Arizona for No. 4

The first trade in our mock is the one everyone’s sort of waiting on — Minnesota clearly didn’t make all these moves to sit at No. 11. The Vikings need a QB. The only question is how high they’re willing to move up for one. Daniels doesn’t rank among my top 10 prospects this draft; McCarthy isn’t in my top 15. But the market is the market.

5. Atlanta Falcons (from LAC)*: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State

Projected trade: Atlanta trades No. 8, No. 43 and a 2025 mid-round pick to the Los Angeles Chargers for No. 5

The Falcons got off the pot and spent big to pair an experienced (and aging) Kirk Cousins with a young, talented roster. Why not be aggressive here and get Cousins the best non-QB in the draft?

6. Chicago Bears (from NYG)*: Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

Projected trade: Chicago trades No. 9, No. 75 and a 2025 mid-round pick to the New York Giants for No. 6

It’s certainly possible Chicago can wait at No. 9 and still get one of these receivers for Williams. But it’s also possible the Bears will feel like they have to move up. Nabers, Harrison or Rome Odunze might be way too tempting to pass on in this situation.

7. Tennessee Titans: Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

The prudent selection here might be tackle. However, new GM Ran Carthon spent some time this winter talking about adding speed and explosion — a wise focus given that the Titans don’t have much of either. Odunze is too good to pass on here.

8. Los Angeles Chargers (from ATL)*: Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

If a Jim Harbaugh offense doesn’t have a formidable front, it’s going nowhere. The Chargers need receivers, to be sure, but Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman also need studs up front like Alt. Also, remember how deep this WR class is.

9. New York Giants (from CHI)*: Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

If the Giants want to be aggressive and add a young QB this year, that’s fine. However, the new guy would have the same problem Daniel Jones has: There’s not enough help. New York needs to build out the roster, and Bowers would be a great place to start.

10. New York Jets: Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State

If Bowers falls this far, pairing the Georgia star with Aaron Rodgers and Garrett Wilson might be tempting. In this case, though, even with their recent free-agent signings, the Jets still need long-term security up front.

I dont see it going that way at all.

1. Bears -  Williams

2. Washington - Maye

3. Pats - JJ

4. Cards - MHJ

5. Chargers - Nabers, or Odunze or Bowers

6. Giants - Nabers or Odunze

7. Titans - Alt

8. Falcons - Jayden Daniels

9. Bears - Fashanu

10. Jets - Who ever is left of Nabers or Odunze, if neither, Bowers. 

• Upvote 1