QBs drafted by the Jets since 2000...

Geno was physically the most gifted QB of the bunch. I’ll bet any money he’d have done better on this current era of the Jets. The talent was always there he just needed to mature and he simply wasn’t ready to play. The cup board was bare in terms of talent during his rookie year, and once guys started missing games he took a nosedive. Year 2 he made modest progress but still struggled, year 3 was supposed to be his make or break year but we know what happened. Year 4 he finally got a shot again but he tore his ACL and his Jets career was over. 

• Upvote 2

Sam Darnold was always overrated to me, but I was willing to give him a shot. He showed tons of flashes during his rookie season and he did enough to feel positive about him heading into year 2, but he gets mono and then the infamous ghost game. He once again showed flashes but there were some quiet rumblings about whether he’s really the guy, but he did enough to warrant some reserved optimism. Year 3 he regressed massively. And it was clear it was time to move on, we had the number 2 pick and none of the QB’s were worth drafting in hindsight, but even still trading Darnold was the right decision. 

• Upvote 1

Mark Sanchez I was never a fan of coming out of USC, but I was willing to give him a chance. He never particularly had one thing he was good at. Average arm strength, average arm talent, decent mobility but nothing ground breaking, wasn’t the most accurate. He would’ve benefited from sitting behind a veteran for a year or two while he gets some real development. However he played and showed some flashes but was bad his rookie year, then he managed the game well in the playoffs while leaning on the defense and run game. 

Year 2, was his best season with those close wins it felt like he was on the right trajectory and was developing into a solid top 15ish QB. He had a much better postseason run in year 2 most notably against the Patriots. Year 3 he had better numbers on paper but he wasn’t as good as year 2, the flaws were really glaring at this time and the questions were being asked about him as our long term guy. Year 4, he was the worst starting quarterback in the league, granted he had to deal with a bare cupboard and Tebow, but he didn’t control the things he could control, and outside of two games he was bad or average at best. It was clear it was time to draft a quarterback. He was set to start in year 4, but got hurt in the preseason and his Jets career was over. 

• Upvote 1

Zach Wilson under most circumstances should have been a 4th-6th round guy. The pandemic year really helped his stock, combined with QB tax with teams willing to reach for a QB and that pro day performance sealed his draft position. Unlike the previous guys who had expectations of being our franchise quarterback, he stepped into the best situation. So he didn’t have the same excuses. He could not complete a simple pass inside the numbers, everything looked difficult, he made the easy look hard. Did he flash? Yes somewhat, notably his second half performance against the Titans and a solid performance against the Bucs. Otherwise this was a poor rookie season. 

Year 2, he was set to be the starter but got hurt in the preseason and missed the first 3 games, came back and had some decent moments but otherwise he still struggled, that game against the Patriots was glaring. He gets benched after the 2nd Pats game especially after not taking any accountability, Mike White comes in and galvanizes the team and the fanbase and it looked like his Jets days were numbered, however White gets hurt and Zach gets another shot and precedes to play worse than before and is replaced by a CFL backup QB. 

The Jets chase Aaron Rodgers and ultimately trade for him, Zach is now the backup with the idea that he’d sit behind Rodgers for a year or two and then takes over once he retires. Rodgers gets hurt in week 1, and Zach has to play and he continues to struggle, he had his best game of his career up to this point against KC on national television on SNF. Outside of that he was bad to average. He gets benched mid season for Tim Boyle, then Zach gets the job back after Boyle proved to be worse. Only there were rumors of Zach refusing to play citing disrespect for getting benched in the first place. He takes back over and struggled with poor play and injuries but he did have his best game of his career against the Texans  

Right now his place on this team is in question with the assumption that he’ll be cut since I doubt anyone trades for him. 

8 minutes ago, August said:

Zach Wilson under most circumstances should have been a 4th-6th round guy. The pandemic year really helped his stock, combined with QB tax with teams willing to reach for a QB and that pro day performance sealed his draft position. Unlike the previous guys who had expectations of being our franchise quarterback, he stepped into the best situation. So he didn’t have the same excuses. He could not complete a simple pass inside the numbers, everything looked difficult, he made the easy look hard. Did he flash? Yes somewhat, notably his second half performance against the Titans and a solid performance against the Bucs. Otherwise this was a poor rookie season. 

Year 2, he was set to be the starter but got hurt in the preseason and missed the first 3 games, came back and had some decent moments but otherwise he still struggled, that game against the Patriots was glaring. He gets benched after the 2nd Pats game especially after not taking any accountability, Mike White comes in and galvanizes the team and the fanbase and it looked like his Jets days were numbered, however White gets hurt and Zach gets another shot and precedes to play worse than before and is replaced by a CFL backup QB. 

The Jets chase Aaron Rodgers and ultimately trade for him, Zach is now the backup with the idea that he’d sit behind Rodgers for a year or two and then takes over once he retires. Rodgers gets hurt in week 1, and Zach has to play and he continues to struggle, he had his best game of his career up to this point against KC on national television on SNF. Outside of that he was bad to average. He gets benched mid season for Tim Boyle, then Zach gets the job back after Boyle proved to be worse. Only there were rumors of Zach refusing to play citing disrespect for getting benched in the first place. He takes back over and struggled with poor play and injuries but he did have his best game of his career against the Texans  

Right now his place on this team is in question with the assumption that he’ll be cut since I doubt anyone trades for him. 

I agree.

Zach sucks. 

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, August said:

Geno was physically the most gifted QB of the bunch. I’ll bet any money he’d have done better on this current era of the Jets. The talent was always there he just needed to mature and he simply wasn’t ready to play. The cup board was bare in terms of talent during his rookie year, and once guys started missing games he took a nosedive. Year 2 he made modest progress but still struggled, year 3 was supposed to be his make or break year but we know what happened. Year 4 he finally got a shot again but he tore his ACL and his Jets career was over. 

Geno seems to have mentally matured in Seattle.  Carroll did an incredible job coaching him up but Geno also seems to be much more mature now then when he was here or with the giants

That’s part of why Matt39 is going off on Zach for obviously not caring about football.  If Zach gave a S he could develop into a decent player but he is choosing not to and he will be retired in about a year

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Since I feel like ruining your day.

2000 - 1 (18) - Chad Pennington, (Marshall) A guy with character and QB smarts but a weak arm coming into the leauge and then getting hurt derailed his career.  Still he lasted in the league 10 years had a QB record of 44-37, 102 tds, 64 interceptions his best year with Miami 2008.  This for me was a justifiably good pick that just did not work out.

2003 - 6 (200) - Brooks Bollinger, (Wisconsin) Lousy prospect 2-8 record 9 tds, 9 ints, kicked around for 5 years.  My biggest beef with this guy is that Herm Edwards liked him and gave him the shot instead of Ricky Ray who was 10 times the QB.  6th round dart throw but never a serious prospect.

2006 - 2 (49) - Kellen Clemens, (Oregon) Looked like shrewd trading by Tanny at the time getting a QB prospect many evaluators really liked but he never panned out.  8-13 career record, 16 tds to 21 ints.  A few notable things about Clemens.   He actually carved out a nice 9 year career as a baseball cap backup #2/#3 guy.  He may have had to play under the worse conditions of any Jets QB prospect until Darnold.  Worse oline ever (Clement, Clark, Jones)  Justin McCariens his # WR.  Still etched in my mind was his valiant game vs Baltimore who was really good, he got his assed kicked all game but it looked like were were going to pull and upset.  McCariens drops the game winning pass.  Also the hard knocks moment when Tanny calls him and tells him they are cutting his already low salary or they are cutting him.

2008 - 5 (162) - Eric Ainge, (Tennessee) Disgustingly terrible pick by Tanny, the guy never played a game, came into the leauge with a host of problems and stunk from day one.

2009 - 1 (5) - Mark Sanchez (USC) You cannot argue that he did not have a lot of early success even though he was very flawed as a QB.  Lasted 9 years in the leauge 37-36 record, 68 tds-89 ints.  Two AFC title games.  The actual trade up by Tanny was brilliant for what the Jets had to give up.  Those Jets teams needed a steady vet QB though not a QB that made some splash an some terrible plays.  Better regular season play and those Jets teams should have been winning divisions not having to go the long wild card route.  In any case, even though I was not a Sanchez fan from day one the pick was justified by the success the team had under him years 1 and 2.  He is actually a really good college color commentator these days.

2011 - 7 (208) - Greg McElroy (Alabama) Never amounted to much, weak arm 0-1 record 1 td to 2 ints.  Biggest memory of him for me is him saying some bad things about the way the team was run.  Rex stuck him out there and to this day I think Rex told the oline to not block at all becasue McElroy got sacked like 11 times in his one start.  Now a pretty good college football commentator.

2013 - 2 (39) - Geno Smith, (West Virginia) was thought to be a good pick at the time, one of the higher rated QBs at the time fell to round two.  Geno was flat out bad here which was too bad as he always had a good arm and some mobility but I've never to this day seen a QB with worse pocket awareness and for the ability to take the worst sack or worst turn over at the worst possible time.  Still he has had a good NFL career, 10 years and still going with his big resurgence in Seattle. 30-36 record, 84 tds, 57 interceptions.

2014 - 6 (213) - Taj Boyd (Clemson) Part of the infamous Idzik 12, terrible QB that could never play, this was 100% a Rex pick via his Clemson love.  Never played a game.  Garbage waste of a pick.

2015 - 4 (103) - Bryce Petty (Baylor) Never that good but it did not help that Todd Bowles hated him for some reason and never gave him a chance. 1-6 record, 4 tds, 10 ints.  Just a 4th rounder that never panned out.  Had a pretty good arm though.

2016 - 2 (51) - Christian Hackenburg (Penn State) This was one of the worst Jets draft picks of all time.  The guy stunk his last two years in college, his own college coach by passed him the draft and McCagnan picked him.  He could not play at all from day one and 3/4 of the world knew this but not our GM.  On top of that the fact the Jets picked him that high in 2016 may have actually influenced the non Qb pick the next year when a  host of franchise guys were just sitting there for us.  (Thanks JAMAL!)  Epic disaster of a pick.

2018 - 1 (3) - Sam Darnold (USC)  I recall on draft day when Darnold fell into our laps I declared in the draft thread "God has finally smiled on the Jets!"  I really thought he was the goods which of course he was not.  He also never had a real chance with this team as the talent around him was a disgrace.  Terrible oline (The center could legit not snap the ball), lousy coaching, no RBs, disgraceful crop of Wrs.  It was a master class by the Jets in how to ruin a young QB.  Still kicking around the league though.  For the time being he is #1 in Minnesota but that will probably change after the draft.  Career backup status now unless he has a Geno like resurgence.

2020 - 4 (125) - James Morgan (Florida International) Just a pure stink pick by Douglas, the guy could never play and it was obvious very early on and one has to say 'What the hell were you thinking?'

2021 - 1 (2) - Zach Wilson (BYU), The fact Douglas still has a job after picking Morgan and then Zach Wilson is amazing.  Massive swing and a miss that is still haunting the Jets, Zach is still wandering the halls of Jets like Jacob Marley rattling his chains.  He will be gone soon enough but picking a QB #2 overall and not even being able to give him away after about 3 years is beyond dreadful.

Now that I have ruined all of your lunches.....

I keep saying that the place to find starting QBs is in the first round at pick 10 or later. These guys normally get to sit and watch before they start and are drafted by not so terrible teams.  i.e. Chad Pennington 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I keep saying that the place to find starting QBs is in the first round at pick 10 or later. These guys normally get to sit and watch before they start and are drafted by not so terrible teams.  i.e. Chad Pennington 

sitting behind the right guy with the right coaching staff is certainly a better way to get a QB. Im not sure we have the right guy, and I know we have an awful offensive staff

• Upvote 1

Since I feel like ruining your day.
2000 - 1 (18) - Chad Pennington, (Marshall) A guy with character and QB smarts but a weak arm coming into the leauge and then getting hurt derailed his career.  Still he lasted in the league 10 years had a QB record of 44-37, 102 tds, 64 interceptions his best year with Miami 2008.  This for me was a justifiably good pick that just did not work out.
2003 - 6 (200) - Brooks Bollinger, (Wisconsin) Lousy prospect 2-8 record 9 tds, 9 ints, kicked around for 5 years.  My biggest beef with this guy is that Herm Edwards liked him and gave him the shot instead of Ricky Ray who was 10 times the QB.  6th round dart throw but never a serious prospect.
2006 - 2 (49) - Kellen Clemens, (Oregon) Looked like shrewd trading by Tanny at the time getting a QB prospect many evaluators really liked but he never panned out.  8-13 career record, 16 tds to 21 ints.  A few notable things about Clemens.   He actually carved out a nice 9 year career as a baseball cap backup #2/#3 guy.  He may have had to play under the worse conditions of any Jets QB prospect until Darnold.  Worse oline ever (Clement, Clark, Jones)  Justin McCariens his # WR.  Still etched in my mind was his valiant game vs Baltimore who was really good, he got his assed kicked all game but it looked like were were going to pull and upset.  McCariens drops the game winning pass.  Also the hard knocks moment when Tanny calls him and tells him they are cutting his already low salary or they are cutting him.
2008 - 5 (162) - Eric Ainge, (Tennessee) Disgustingly terrible pick by Tanny, the guy never played a game, came into the leauge with a host of problems and stunk from day one.
2009 - 1 (5) - Mark Sanchez (USC) You cannot argue that he did not have a lot of early success even though he was very flawed as a QB.  Lasted 9 years in the leauge 37-36 record, 68 tds-89 ints.  Two AFC title games.  The actual trade up by Tanny was brilliant for what the Jets had to give up.  Those Jets teams needed a steady vet QB though not a QB that made some splash an some terrible plays.  Better regular season play and those Jets teams should have been winning divisions not having to go the long wild card route.  In any case, even though I was not a Sanchez fan from day one the pick was justified by the success the team had under him years 1 and 2.  He is actually a really good college color commentator these days.
2011 - 7 (208) - Greg McElroy (Alabama) Never amounted to much, weak arm 0-1 record 1 td to 2 ints.  Biggest memory of him for me is him saying some bad things about the way the team was run.  Rex stuck him out there and to this day I think Rex told the oline to not block at all becasue McElroy got sacked like 11 times in his one start.  Now a pretty good college football commentator.
2013 - 2 (39) - Geno Smith, (West Virginia) was thought to be a good pick at the time, one of the higher rated QBs at the time fell to round two.  Geno was flat out bad here which was too bad as he always had a good arm and some mobility but I've never to this day seen a QB with worse pocket awareness and for the ability to take the worst sack or worst turn over at the worst possible time.  Still he has had a good NFL career, 10 years and still going with his big resurgence in Seattle. 30-36 record, 84 tds, 57 interceptions.
2014 - 6 (213) - Taj Boyd (Clemson) Part of the infamous Idzik 12, terrible QB that could never play, this was 100% a Rex pick via his Clemson love.  Never played a game.  Garbage waste of a pick.
2015 - 4 (103) - Bryce Petty (Baylor) Never that good but it did not help that Todd Bowles hated him for some reason and never gave him a chance. 1-6 record, 4 tds, 10 ints.  Just a 4th rounder that never panned out.  Had a pretty good arm though.
2016 - 2 (51) - Christian Hackenburg (Penn State) This was one of the worst Jets draft picks of all time.  The guy stunk his last two years in college, his own college coach by passed him the draft and McCagnan picked him.  He could not play at all from day one and 3/4 of the world knew this but not our GM.  On top of that the fact the Jets picked him that high in 2016 may have actually influenced the non Qb pick the next year when a  host of franchise guys were just sitting there for us.  (Thanks JAMAL!)  Epic disaster of a pick.
2018 - 1 (3) - Sam Darnold (USC)  I recall on draft day when Darnold fell into our laps I declared in the draft thread "God has finally smiled on the Jets!"  I really thought he was the goods which of course he was not.  He also never had a real chance with this team as the talent around him was a disgrace.  Terrible oline (The center could legit not snap the ball), lousy coaching, no RBs, disgraceful crop of Wrs.  It was a master class by the Jets in how to ruin a young QB.  Still kicking around the league though.  For the time being he is #1 in Minnesota but that will probably change after the draft.  Career backup status now unless he has a Geno like resurgence.
2020 - 4 (125) - James Morgan (Florida International) Just a pure stink pick by Douglas, the guy could never play and it was obvious very early on and one has to say 'What the hell were you thinking?'
2021 - 1 (2) - Zach Wilson (BYU), The fact Douglas still has a job after picking Morgan and then Zach Wilson is amazing.  Massive swing and a miss that is still haunting the Jets, Zach is still wandering the halls of Jets like Jacob Marley rattling his chains.  He will be gone soon enough but picking a QB #2 overall and not even being able to give him away after about 3 years is beyond dreadful.
Now that I have ruined all of your lunches.....

Bryce Petty was never given a chance?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, mfmartin said:

Yep once again being a GM isn’t looking at Mel Kiper’s big board and taking that guy. Anyone could do that

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Exactly.  A GM is supposed to have some foresight.  At least enough to see that a late riser during a COVID season who struggled mightily the few times he faced elite competition was a bad idea at 2 overall.  Or to see that a guy who led all of FBS in turnovers his final year at USC and played Linebacker in High School might not be the best idea at 3 overall, either.

On 4/16/2024 at 12:37 PM, Dunnie said:

Pennington, Darnold and Wilson were consensus top picks ... If you don't agree you are lost.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

They also had red flags. Darnold had turnover issues going back to college, trying to do too much, and forcing throws in non existent windows (seeing 👻) . Wilson was a mediocre QB who played in a weak conference, whose only good season was playing against scrubs. Pennington was before my time so idk

Being a consensus top pick doesn't mean that these players are actually good, bad evaluations are a thing

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Geno seems to have mentally matured in Seattle.  Carroll did an incredible job coaching him up but Geno also seems to be much more mature now then when he was here or with the giants

That’s part of why Matt39 is going off on Zach for obviously not caring about football.  If Zach gave a S he could develop into a decent player but he is choosing not to and he will be retired in about a year

I think Zach's issue is more a lack of football IQ to be successful QB at the NFL level than him not caring or trying.

• Upvote 2

" userid="31705"] They also had red flags. Darnold had turnover issues going back to college, trying to do too much, and forcing throws in non existent windows (seeing ) . Wilson was a mediocre QB who played in a weak conference, whose only good season was playing against scrubs. Pennington was before my time so idk
Being a consensus top pick doesn't mean that these players are actually good, bad evaluations are a thing
Absolutely

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

They also had red flags. Darnold had turnover issues going back to college, trying to do too much, and forcing throws in non existent windows (seeing 👻) . Wilson was a mediocre QB who played in a weak conference, whose only good season was playing against scrubs. Pennington was before my time so idk

Pretty much every qb drafted has red flags. The job of the regime drafting a QB is to understand the red flags, understand if they can develop the player to overcome those red flags, or work around those red flags, and understand if they fit into what they want to do with the offense. The last QB I remember being drafted without red flags was Luck, the once in a generation QB. Mahomes had plenty of red flags, but Andy Reid knows what he is doing, Saleh, yeah, not so much.....

Which do you prefer?

1. Draft a mid round QB this year to where he likely is sitting and just learning for 2 whole years behind a HOF qb and a vet. But would only be on that rookie contract for 2 years post Rodgers and still an unknown.

2. Wait until next year to draft a mid round QB. Her only have 1 year to learn. But would be controlled under a cheap contract for 3 years as an unknown.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Which do you prefer?

1. Draft a mid round QB this year to where he likely is sitting and just learning for 2 whole years behind a HOF qb and a vet. But would only be on that rookie contract for 2 years post Rodgers and still an unknown.

2. Wait until next year to draft a mid round QB. Her only have 1 year to learn. But would be controlled under a cheap contract for 3 years as an unknown.

Option 3: Get in a new coaching staff who knows what they are doing with QB's and let them identify and draft and develop a QB, I would not let this staff or regime sniff another QB, they will fail 100%